Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Are party roles currently bugged? It seems like I can't change them from the Clan/Party screen, but can change them from the conversation screen with the companions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Thats been an issue for a while iirc. Cant remember how it starts, i think its once you do it from the clan screen once and then do it via conversation?...

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If the max battle size is 1000 they should cap armies at 500. That just seems obvious.

The cap of 1000 includes horses, so it's not quite as simple as that.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GruntyThrst posted:

The cap of 1000 includes horses, so it's not quite as simple as that.

Whoa, really? So like a 500 on 500 battle of call cavalry would end up with only 250 units per side? Or is it after the riders get dismounted the horse still counts against the limit?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Warhammer mod The Old World Realms is apparently having it's first public release on Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdhbIQd5Dps

Just Empire vs Vampire Counts for now but the footage they've shown so far looks pretty polished, there are apparently a huge number of people working on the mod

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Flavahbeast posted:

Warhammer mod The Old World Realms is apparently having it's first public release on Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdhbIQd5Dps

Just Empire vs Vampire Counts for now but the footage they've shown so far looks pretty polished, there are apparently a huge number of people working on the mod

so... how long until this gets slapped down by GW

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

do they still care about the old fantasy setting since they blew it up?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

do they still care about the old fantasy setting since they blew it up?

They are sort of bringing it back since they realized people liked it and the Total Warhammer series made bank.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BMan posted:

so... how long until this gets slapped down by GW

probably the same amount of time it took them to take down all of the other fan works they've been going around removing: zero, because they're not doing that and haven't done it to anyone that wasn't just straight up selling bootleg 40k merchandise

if these guys start making money off of this mod, then GW might step in and tell them to stop making money off of it, but they haven't ever actually asked anyone to just stop making stuff.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Babe Magnet posted:

probably the same amount of time it took them to take down all of the other fan works they've been going around removing: zero, because they're not doing that and haven't done it to anyone that wasn't just straight up selling bootleg 40k merchandise

if these guys start making money off of this mod, then GW might step in and tell them to stop making money off of it, but they haven't ever actually asked anyone to just stop making stuff.

what's the rent on the rock you're living under

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pretty good, hasn't raised in a few years, and the wifi's great. not seeing how that's relevant though.

whatever they can come after you with lawyers and threats hasn't changed, the wording on their IP rights has. You just can't monetize your fan works. Everyone points to Emperor TTS and Alfabusa leaving but they did it to "get ahead" of GW potentially contacting them, not because GW actually told them to stop making stuff. plus Emperor TTS has been wanting to stop for a while it felt like and saw this as a good enough time as any

e: in fact, one of the few content creators they did actually contact, AbsolutelyNothing, they explicitly told him he could keep his animations up as long as he demonetized them.

I'm not trying to be aggro or anything but I've had to have this conversation with like my entire friend circle and 40k gaming group lol. No one's been able to produce a single receipt of GW telling someone to stop creating their fan content, just to demonetize their IP infringement.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 11, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Games and apps – individuals must not create computer games or apps based on our characters and settings. These are only to be created under licence from Games Workshop.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's just part of a section of "IP Guidelines", a section that expands upon that idea further in the text. That's broad, catch-all text which they then break down into specifics not very many lines after

Underlying rights

Please be aware that where fan content is created based on our settings and characters, Games Workshop retains ownership in respect of the underlying intellectual property rights in those worlds, and therefore such fan content cannot be sold or otherwise monetised.

We have a zero tolerance policy in respect of infringement of our intellectual property rights. This includes:

and then it just lists fan-films and animations. You just can't monetize them. You're taking a single heading out of context. I know it looks spooky, those are some scary words, but there are other words too.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 11, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Did you perhaps miss the part where "games and apps" are listed in the section called "Infrigements" which also includes recasting and piracy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It doesn't matter if they list games and apps, or custom rules for Kill Team, or the millions of "Not Space Ork" miniature bitz or dreaming about cool new tyranids or whatever, "Infringement' is the key term here because they explicitly define "Infringement" as being sold or monetized. As long as you're not selling it or otherwise making money off of it (or in the case of piracy, "denying them money" which is stupid but an argument not relevant here), you're not "Infringing" on anything.

GW going after non-monetized "games and apps" isn't some warning we have to potentially look out for in the future, 40k fan games exist and they have for a long time. As far as I know none of them have been taken down or contacted yet.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 11, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ok dumbass, try starting a free pirate site for warhammer and see how far that gets you

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Mods aren't monetized though. I mean it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility that GW might do something, but you're acting as if it's 100% going to happen and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

That's not really a reasonable position to take on this given that the evidence isn't really on your side here.

Also you're being extremely aggressive for no reason, which is super weird. Stop.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

BMan posted:

ok dumbass, try starting a free pirate site for warhammer and see how far that gets you

lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BMan posted:

already did and its doing great thanks

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm hosting the servers for it under my rock

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

BMan posted:

I love getting mad at mods, and modding

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

M&B:WB has had a Warhammer Fantasy mod - Warsword Conquest - since 2011 without issue AFAIK, so I'd be surprised about them doing anything about this one if they don't monetize it.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Anyone wanna get in on that old HL warhammer mod

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The finest legal minds, here in our very own medieval murder simulator thread.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

M&B:WB has had a Warhammer Fantasy mod - Warsword Conquest - since 2011 without issue AFAIK, so I'd be surprised about them doing anything about this one if they don't monetize it.

I think The Old Realms could be a lot more popular though. Warband looks like a PS2 game, you have to jump through some hoops to get Warsword Conquest installed and working. Bannerlord is a lot more accessible and pretty. Also, even if the mod makers aren't making money the existence of the mod could generate a lot of revenue for Taleworlds

The mod makers are definitely concerned about it too, since they changed the name and the front of their moddb page is a big disclaimer about how the mod is a unofficial project that the modders receive no compensation for

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The policy banning fan animations and games is only two months old, what GW allowed in the past is irrelevant

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I have no desire to defend GW at all, but has there been anyone taken down who wasn't monetizing the content?

Every angry moron I've had to encounter IRL (courtesy of the FLGS) and online has not been able to demonstrate a content creator who did not appear to be in breach of that.

On the topic of M&B, hell yeah bring on the wild total conversion mods. I loved all the insane jank in Warband.

Edit: Somebody who isn't phoneposting needs to capture that Balthasar Gelt headshot in that video. It's fuckin incredible

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 11, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

as far as I know, no one's been taken down, at all, outside of straight up recasters and pirates. People monetizing their work have only been told to stop doing so, or they just quit doing animations/whatever of their own accord without being contacted by GW at all.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
give me gangs of glasgow bannerlord drat it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

give me gangs of glasgow bannerlord drat it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Babe Magnet posted:

as far as I know, no one's been taken down, at all, outside of straight up recasters and pirates. People monetizing their work have only been told to stop doing so, or they just quit doing animations/whatever of their own accord without being contacted by GW at all.

Yes, everyone just immediately believed their threats because it's loving games workshop

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah no one's arguing that GW have been good about this in the past, and they definitely have problems as a company, but you said it yourself; what GW has allowed in the past is irrelevant. They're clearly allowing fan works (as long as they're not monetized) right now, there's precedent that they plan on doing so for the foreseeable or at least near future, and everyone who tried to call their bluff and act all doom and gloom and take this as anything other than GW tightening up the wording on their IP Rules acted too soon.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

They're clearly allowing non-monetized fan works THAT AREN'T ANIMATION OR GAMES

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
oh neat there must be a major update or

oh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they are allowing animations and games

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what about animated games

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

no, those are garbage

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that's too far

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

doesn't base bannerlord already have warhammers in it? smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008