Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bland posted:

I mean it would have been nice if they built up the first antagonist just a tiny bit more instead of his character essentially amounting to just being a shouty man in a big room. Idk if this gets better as the game goes on so :shrug:

He has a birth defect and/or facial scars, so you know he's evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Calaveron posted:

I am champing at the bit to find out why this creampuff softy of a main character is later dressed up with the edgiest of armors any Tales of protagonist has ever worn for non-goofy costumes reasons.
I mean he's a JRPG Amnesiac Protagonist so I'm gonna guess the reason is "I was a Bad Man Who Murdered before I lost my memory but now I will wear my Bad Man Armor while doing Good Man things to atone for it" but still, I wanna see how they pull it off.

It’s actually just some armour he found in the second lord’s palace who collected Dahnan artifacts. He liked the armour and asked if he could have it after the lord was beaten, then put the blue cloth on it cause he wanted to follow on Shionne’s advice to accessorize more and she told him that blue looked good on him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Paul Zuvella posted:

He has a birth defect and/or facial scars, so you know he's evil

Pretty sure he has just been burned.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know you've got 5 Lords to beat and not infinite time/money to develop the game but wow it seems like you just kinda wander into town and within 5 minutes work your way up to beating the local lord pretty fast! At least with the first guy there was a build up to it and the implication that Alphen spent his whole life being a slave before he randomly ran into the resistance one day.

Does Shionne get a Nurse equivalent because 2nd Lord was very tough and needed lots of group healing! Can you actually stop his Indignation casts or are you suppose to just take them?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty sure he has just been burned.

im pretty sure burn scars on a face count as facial scars lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, I'm like 2-3 hours into Tales of Arise and I'm so incredibly not feeling it.

To preface this, I don't usually end up liking JRPGers in general, despite having tried playing a lot of them. In fact the only two games of that genre that I liked enough to finish the whole way through were Resonance of Fate and Tales of Berseria.
I was kind of expecting Arise to not be up to my tastes because literally none of the key staff that worked on Berseria worked on this, but man, this is on a whole another level.
First of all, the game is pretty incompetent on a technical level. The LoD system is awful, with environment constantly streaming in, looks terrible, and then they hide all NPCs that are farther than 3 feet away from the camera, it's really annoying to look at. Those Borderlands-esque textures don't look good either, if you ask me.
Second, the opening few hours of Berseria were so much better written. You got introduced to a couple of intriguing characters and given a good reason to care them, especially since Velvet was such a well (relatively) written character herself, I even re-installed Berseria to make sure that I'm not misremembering it, but no, it's opener still pretty engaging.
Meanwhile Arise just loving drowns itself in dumb cliches with incredibly boring setup, yeah yeah space colonizers, slavery, racial segregation, social inequality, bla bla, I have indeed looked out the window recently game, no need to remind me. Then the main character are a bland woman who cannot be touched and an even blander amnesiac that's the only man that can touch her. Definitely haven't see that cliche before.
The whole freedom fighting aspect is also so loving hamfisted. I couldn't help but laugh at one point where they literally spawned a little girl behind your back while you weren't looking just so she could pull on your heart strings and tell you how sad it is that her dad died to the space empire.

I should've known better but after how engaging Berseria was this really disappointed me. There's not a single thread for my interest to latch onto. It's all so painfully by-the-book

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I love Berseria but church is actually bad is the most cliche trope possible

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

its definitely an anime game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I love Berseria but church is actually bad is the most cliche trope possible

It is, and Berseria was full of cliches but the opener of the game, which focused on making you give a poo poo about the main characters, wasn't and I really cannot name many narrative based games where you actually play as an anti-hero.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

its definitely an anime game

Yeah, I guess that's what my issues boil down to. Berseria was interesting to a person that doesn't like anime games, Arise isn't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though at this point everything is a cliche so I can not care even a little bit

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it took me a few hours to get used to it but Arise is definitely the peak of Tales combat to date

maybe

it's been a long time since I've played Graces

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not super into the story yet, just got to the third region. I feel like Abyss and Berseria (my #1 and #2 in the series) gave you more interesting plot developments to chew on in the nine hours or so I've played so far while also not being quite as deliriously paced. I'm enjoying the combat but I'm not hooked by the narrative yet.

Also Shionne's kind of a weird character so far in that she's just really unpleasant. I get where they're going with it but it's coming across kinda strangely. I'm aware of the relevant character types she's playing on but something about it is a little... off, idk.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Second area/lord spoilers: I know there's only so much dev time, but I feel like they really squandered a cool concept in Cyslodia. A city where nobody trusts anybody, everybody is a snitch, and even the resistance has to hide information from one another so one snitch doesn't toppled the whole movement. So much room for intrigue and worming your way up towards the lord of the area, but instead it almost entirely gets sidelined for the Law/Zephyr daddy issues drama, and the sum total of "anybody could be a traitor" is just Valkyris posing as the leader of the resistance but everybody else otherwise turning out to be 100% trusting and well meaning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk why youre making this anime versus not anime, bersy is exactly as anime. its a massive riff on berserk. just one landed for you and another didnt.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nyoro posted:

it took me a few hours to get used to it but Arise is definitely the peak of Tales combat to date

maybe

it's been a long time since I've played Graces

Combat good/world and story really depressingly mediocre is kind of my take like 4ish hours in. I'm really hoping something turns here because its been giving me Zesteria vibes for sure.

e: having ticker ads run during the camp screen for DLC is also pretty loving weird and really gross to have in a single player offline RPG

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 11, 2021

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I'm hoping the game will break away from the cliches...eventually, because as is the game is painfully predictable.

Also the pacing is some of the worst I've seen. I can respect wanting to immediately push you into action, but it means you don't get a feeling for the stakes or the world at all. I've only seen pacing this bad in some of the more amateurish indie games I've played.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO STOP BEING SURPRISED BY OWLS

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It’s loving insane to compare this games writing to Zesteria

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

It’s loving insane to compare this games writing to Zesteria

this is probably related to the vast majority of people not having played it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nyoro posted:

this is probably related to the vast majority of people not having played it

Im the one who did the comparison and I have played zesteria and am playing Arise!

Writing early in Arise is very bad, hth.

The game play and map design is leagues better than Zesteria early though, as are most technical details.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

well anyway at least the gameplay in Arise isn't awful like Zestiria's too, :shobon:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Im really confused, the characters say "I feel like someones watching us, maybe there is someone who needs our help". My gamer brain tells me that this means there is a sidequest thats supposed to be on the map somewhere, ive ran around town but cant find anything.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

Im really confused, the characters say "I feel like someones watching us, maybe there is someone who needs our help". My gamer brain tells me that this means there is a sidequest thats supposed to be on the map somewhere, ive ran around town but cant find anything.

There is. Check your map. It should be indicated with a text bubble.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There is. Check your map. It should be indicated with a text bubble.

I could have sworn that the games tutorialized that the side quests were marked with yellow mail icons, not white ones, figured it out right after posting lol

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My favorite part of Zestiria was how if you defeat the villain early through grinding or NG+ or whatever you just get a bad end. Sorry you didn't learn enough about the power of friendship before you beat the villain. I liked Zestiria, it had a fun cast mostly, but the plot was... all over the place.

Anyways I always go into Tales games expecting some cliche anime writing & plot, it's just what the Tales series does. Arise is hardly new in that department. The actual strength of the series leans way more on its characters and powerful moments between them. As a good example from Berseria: Will you STOP WHINING?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm hoping the game will break away from the cliches...eventually, because as is the game is painfully predictable.

Also the pacing is some of the worst I've seen. I can respect wanting to immediately push you into action, but it means you don't get a feeling for the stakes or the world at all. I've only seen pacing this bad in some of the more amateurish indie games I've played.

The game does not really change the classic/cliche feel throughout. You know what you are getting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think cliches are a bad thing or a valid criticism on their own tbh.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

this game has the best tales combat and probably one of the best for jrpgs in general.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
After seeing so many games with an enslaved class star a character not part of them, it really is more satisfying to see one where the main character is actively trying to free their own people. Kind of worried they're going to both sides it because that's what this series has done before, but so far it's been alright with it.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Unlocked the spinny airborne move and now my aircombos feel massively better

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The story has been pretty fun and well written by me so far 15 hours in. Like it’s not ground breaking so far, but it does it’s job. Also the first few hours were quite good, really my only complaint is that Cyslodia could have been a bit longer to focus on it’s intrigue a bit more.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Endorph posted:

Yeah honestly looking at plot as like a series of just Tv Tropes page names instead of actually looking at how they execute on those tropes is sorta a very short-sighted way to look at things.

Especially since Tales' MO is kinda just taking common tropes and developing them over time. Like yeah it's a Small Guy Facing off Against EVIL EMPIRE game, but I think Arise from what I've played, is at least taking the interesting way of conveying interesting ideas that Resistance isn't as necessarily as simple as Just Kill the Fascists.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair I think literally every story does that nowadays

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

The implied criticism is that games that use nothing but cliches constantly have the originality and unpredictability of a Marvel flick. That is, none.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean you can predict most movies. It isn’t hard. Even good ones

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you can predict most movies. It isn’t hard. Even good ones

Then it's not actually a good movie or it's strength lies in something other than the narrative.
What does Arise have besides the narrative? The combat is pretty good but it's no Devil May Cry or anything, and every other quality is passable at best.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Then it's not actually a good movie or it's strength lies in something other than the narrative.
What does Arise have besides the narrative? The combat is pretty good but it's no Devil May Cry or anything, and every other quality is passable at best.

Nah a good movie doesn’t rely on twists and shock value. They can have them but they don’t rely on them

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So in combat I get you can switch party members, but can you permanently switch?
No matter who I swap to every time a new fight starts, it immediately goes to Alphen and its just annoying to switch every single time at the start of every fight. Is there a setting who I can set the "default" fight starter to?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Evil Canadian posted:

So in combat I get you can switch party members, but can you permanently switch?
No matter who I swap to every time a new fight starts, it immediately goes to Alphen and its just annoying to switch every single time at the start of every fight. Is there a setting who I can set the "default" fight starter to?

R1 from the menu outside of combat, then Square on the party member you want to set as default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

the second lord fight was brutal. there was one point where i was just tossing out healing items nonstop and i ended up running out. i got hit with the supermove a second time when he had like 80 hp left and then stood up and killed him lol.