Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah that one's The Fall of Malvolion by Dan Abnett

Good news! Space marines have come to your rescue.

Bad news! It's the Lamenters.
Yeah, that's a great short story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Shirkelton posted:

Weirdly specific question, but does anyone remember the title, or where it was first printed, of the short-story focusing on a squad of Guardsmen and women being slowly worn down by the Tyranids?

By the end of it, things are looking really grim as the perspective character loses his mind, at which point the Space Marines rein down from the sky and save them.

The story ends with the character praising the Emperor loud enough for one of the marines to hear, who laughs and responds in kind.

At which point it's revealed they're actually Alpha Legion.

I read it ages ago, but I can't for the life of my remember the title or who wrote it.

There's a 40k short story that I can't recall the author. But it's about human slaves aboard a space hulk fighting a guerilla resistance against orks. They receive a transmission from a marine saying liberation day is in X days but you must do various things so we can get close to the hulk and they carry out a bunch of suicide missions.

Then the marines turn out to be iron warriors and either kill, enslave or turn the guerrillas into spawn.

That story is called Liberation Day I think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

a lovely king posted:

There's a 40k short story that I can't recall the author. But it's about human slaves aboard a space hulk fighting a guerilla resistance against orks. They receive a transmission from a marine saying liberation day is in X days but you must do various things so we can get close to the hulk and they carry out a bunch of suicide missions.

Then the marines turn out to be iron warriors and either kill, enslave or turn the guerrillas into spawn.

That story is called Liberation Day I think.

Never read that one, I'll have to try and track it down. The one I was thinking of, by the way, was 'For the Emperor' by Callum Davis. It was from a White Dwarf a few years back.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished Godblight and enjoyed, on the whole.

The action scenes were a bit meh, but I am finding that generally with the books I've read. They just seem so perfunctory, like the writer sighs and says "lets get this out of the way".

I have had a personal theory that 10 edition is going to see the return of a very Big and powErful character.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I think a lot of the more recent books are all moving to the direction of moving the timeline. I think all the grogs at GW don't want to die with everything left hanging like it was in the 80s. Lets get this universe burning twice as bright. More models, more rulesets, more lore, more everything.

More money.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Still enjoying Warhammer+. For the $5/mo it's been worth it. Angels of Death has been excellent still. The rest of the content is kinda lacking, but the Loremasters for Abaddon was quite good over lunch. There is that YouTuber Luetin09 that does this same thing, and honestly, I think Luetin09's format is better. If GW were smart they'd hire the guy, let him rework his content to get definitive answers(or not) and throw it on WH+ Loremasters.

I'm also surprised they haven't released a full HD cut of Astartes yet, either.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, Tech Marine Hadreal is awesome. I cannot say enough good things about Angels of Death. This last episode was probably the best of the 3 released so far. Does anyone know how many episodes total this series will be?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah the newest Angels of Death was super good. The opening bit with Chaplain Rafael made me feel like a giddy little kid in the best way.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah I thought episode 2 was pretty weak, but 1 and 3 are real good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I remember from that clip a few months ago there was some weird lip-sync issue in the preview of Angels of Death. Did they resolve that?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Eh, some of the lips are off, but it's not a sync issue IMO. Just a learning curve doing people without helmets on who actually talk. It's mostly alright tho.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, it's not perfect, but in my mind I think of it as "I'm hearing peoples' vox broadcasts" which allows for the slight latency.

But really we're watching YouTube creators' content and even though it's still partially amateur it's still good as hell.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I guess it’s official. Abaddon is Ah-buh-don. I’m very dissapointed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Abe-Addon-Guh lives on in our hearts.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Just got done reading through Salvation's Reach to The Anarch, phew. That's a lot to digest.

There must be only like twenty Ghosts left at this point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Was Abaddon already a really powerful human or has he been enhanced by chaos.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

euphronius posted:

It's deliberately vague as to whether he's some kind of late-crusade Horus clone experiment or just a very extraordinary astartes. Later on, he gets a ton of Chaos powers and eventually the Mark of Chaos Ascendant when he is crowned as the new warmaster.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

euphronius posted:

Pre-Heresy Abaddon was Horus's favourite, First Captain of his First Legion. Chaos has just enhanced him since then, so both.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Double Eagle limited edition out today

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shirkelton posted:

Just got done reading through Salvation's Reach to The Anarch, phew. That's a lot to digest.

There must be only like twenty Ghosts left at this point.

Nah, there's all of Pasha's new Verghastites to remind everyone about Space Stalingrad.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Abaddon also killed a clone of Horus in single combat even before he got juiced up by the Chaos gods so hes already established as being on the level of a primarch.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arc Hammer posted:

Nah, there's all of Pasha's new Verghastites to remind everyone about Space Stalingrad.

Sure, but if you're counting original Ghosts from Tanith? Twenty may be generous at this point.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

AnEdgelord posted:

Abaddon also killed a clone of Horus in single combat even before he got juiced up by the Chaos gods so hes already established as being on the level of a primarch.

Eh, the clones are iffy on whether or not they have the special secret ingredient that makes a primarch primarch.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Eh, the clones are iffy on whether or not they have the special secret ingredient that makes a primarch primarch.

IDK man the first Black Legion book presents the clone as if he is literally Horus reborn complete with him singlehandedly taking down a room full of Khorne berzerkers, Possessed and a Chaos Sorcerer throwing everything he can at him before Abaddon confronts and kills him.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

IDK man the first Black Legion book presents the clone as if he is literally Horus reborn complete with him singlehandedly taking down a room full of Khorne berzerkers, Possessed and a Chaos Sorcerer throwing everything he can at him before Abaddon confronts and kills him.

I wonder how much of that we can attribute to Abaddons genuine and absolute belief that Horus was an unworthy weakling, and that channeling into a combat advantage because his warp nature wasn’t able to be an advantage.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's a level of genetic artifice and sheer physical power that all the primarchs have, but there's also the power of the Warp that sets them apart. They were born in the Warp and they wield its power like no one else, to do things that defy explanation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The primarch clones are exactly as close to the originals as is necessary for the current moment to be as dramatic as possible

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also 10th edition should include daemon Fulgrim showing up, the non-corrupted clone of Fulgrim showing up and saying sorry to Roboute and Ferrus Manus's flaming headless ghost showing up

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also 10th edition should include daemon Fulgrim showing up, the non-corrupted clone of Fulgrim showing up and saying sorry to Roboute and Ferrus Manus's flaming headless ghost showing up

Just shove Ferrus Manus full of all the Keys of Hel and it will work its self out in combination with the necrodermis.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

Just shove Ferrus Manus full of all the Keys of Hel and it will work its self out in combination with the necrodermis.

Too Many Manuses

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Abaddon's last words to clone-Horus was "You're not Horus". He had his soul destroyed by the Emperor, which is were Primarchs get much of their power.

It's rumored that Clonegrim does have Fulgrim's actually soul, because they give that up when they ascend to Demonhood.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

AnEdgelord posted:

I read that one recently.

Aside from being a pretty poor fight scene - I felt like ADB had to cover that plot point but didn't find the Horus clone interesting at all, so he got it over with as quickly as possible - Horus Reborn had been pretty well shredded up by Abaddon's party, which also included Khayon's daemon pet and Dark Eldar gf, and a dozen Terminators focus firing him through the fight.

Abaddon really just finished him off after the sorcerer and bolters had shredded his armour, the Dark Elf had mutilated his face, the daemon had ripped his throat, _and_ an EC swordsman had impaled his chest with both swords. Ezekyle did parry Horus's mace with the Talon, which is described as impressive, but after that he just mercy kills him with a single blow of the same.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ego-bot posted:

It's rumored that Clonegrim does have Fulgrim's actually soul, because they give that up when they ascend to Demonhood.
That doesn't really make sense. Most people's only warp presence is their soul, daemons are warp entities, so for a human to become a daemon they become a full warp presence and leave their realspace self behind. They might "lose their soul" in the poetic sense that they become a different entity via weight of experience etc, but really what they lose is their body.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jng2058 posted:

Sure, but if you're counting original Ghosts from Tanith? Twenty may be generous at this point.

Well, off the top of my head:

Rawne
Milo
Mkoll
Domor
Varl
Bonin
Beltayn
Larkin
Obel (I think he was still alive in Anarch?)
Caober
Lesp

So ten or eleven.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

That doesn't really make sense. Most people's only warp presence is their soul, daemons are warp entities, so for a human to become a daemon they become a full warp presence and leave their realspace self behind. They might "lose their soul" in the poetic sense that they become a different entity via weight of experience etc, but really what they lose is their body.

Yeah becoming a demon prince for a mortal is an elevation of the soul and body. The thing with Fulgrim is that he was first possessed by a demon who kicked his soul out of his body and into a painting. Then later on his legion tortured demon Fulgrim in an attempt to get the demon to leave. After enjoying a bunch of torture (I mean it's a Slaneesh demon I don't know what they were expecting) he said "no wait guys it's totally me I'm the real Fulgrim and I banished the demon." They all believe him and the story moved on.

There is not a shred of evidence in the text that the real Fulgrim soul actually did banish the demon and took his body back, we only have the word of Fulgrim which easily could have still been the demon. The author has since came out and said that the real Fulgrim took his body back, but he either did an incredibly lovely job writing it or BL intentionally left it written that way so if they ever do want to bring Fulgrim back as a loyalist it's not a stretch to combine the clonegrim and the true soul of Fulgrim that never turned to Chaos and has been trapped in that painting the whole time.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 12, 2021

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Clone Fulgrim was doing primarch things - moving with physics defying speed, getting stronger and faster with each enemy he killed, etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D-Pad posted:

Yeah becoming a demon prince for a mortal is an elevation of the soul and body. The thing with Fulgrim is that he was first possessed by a demon who kicked his soul out of his body and into a painting. Then later on his legion tortured demon Fulgrim in an attempt to get the demon to leave. After enjoying a bunch of torture (I mean it's a Slaneesh demon I don't know what they were expecting) he said "no wait guys it's totally me I'm the real Fulgrim and I banished the demon." They all believe him and the story moved on.

There is not a shred of evidence in the text that the real Fulgrim soul actually did banish the demon and took his body back, we only have the word of Fulgrim which easily could have still been the demon. The author has since came out and said that the real Fulgrim took his body back, but he either did an incredibly lovely job writing it or BL intentionally left it written that way so if they ever do want to bring Fulgrim back as a loyalist it's not a stretch to combine the clonegrim and the true soul of Fulgrim that never turned to Chaos and has been trapped in that painting the whole time.
Or, and bear with me here, OR.... the Primarch who fell to Slaanesh just enjoys messing with people and it's been him all along. What better way to pervert the devotion of his children than to get them to inflict pain on him, that he enjoys, in a misguided effort to save him from an imaginary demon, all the while getting them to take pride in their efforts?

Which, ye know, it pure speclatory bullshit, but given how cack-handed Fulgrim's story was with the retcons entirely as likely.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Or, and bear with me here, OR.... the Primarch who fell to Slaanesh just enjoys messing with people and it's been him all along. What better way to pervert the devotion of his children than to get them to inflict pain on him, that he enjoys, in a misguided effort to save him from an imaginary demon, all the while getting them to take pride in their efforts?

Which, ye know, it pure speclatory bullshit, but given how cack-handed Fulgrim's story was with the retcons entirely as likely.

Sure, it really could be anything, the book and short story are written with no definitive proof either way. I really do think BL did that on purpose as an ace in the hole in case they ever decided to move forward with bringing a traitor primarch back to the loyalist side. If they never do then it stands as is. There are several things in the lore that are like that that would allow GW to easily have something dramatic happen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, it is 100% a hedge so that they could pick which was true if they ever decided to revisit things. They weren't planning on moving the timeline forward that far back though, as far as I am aware, it was more a deliberate move to keep people able to pick which version they wanted to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I like it when they leave in vagaries that can be turned into future plot points