Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I can do it. All the VP's here get 70k trucks the day they start and I'm fighting to get a raise that is more than COL.

I got a 1% raise this year.

I hope to counter it with my resignation and :yotj: with a 20+% pay increase in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Good news everyone, I have figured out the strange, inconsistent calendar sharing issue!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

Good news everyone, I have figured out the strange, inconsistent calendar sharing issue!

and just imagine how long it would have taken the untrained helpdesk peons, your CISO is vindicated once more

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Just wait until she blames you for missing the audit deadline

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
How do you even work several side gigs at once that are all full time? Just on clock for all two or three at the same time bouncing between tasks? Somehow this seems like the biggest mystery to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They aren't jobs where there's a concept of 'clocking on'

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

star eater posted:

How do you even work several side gigs at once that are all full time? Just on clock for all two or three at the same time bouncing between tasks? Somehow this seems like the biggest mystery to me.

May days are busier than they were. But lets not kid ourselves, SR engineer gigs and up aren't exactly digging ditches. Outside of meetings, if you are constantly swamped with work its because you are the only person trying to swamp themselves with work.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sickening posted:

That dude that the CISO hates, you should tell him how to fix it and let him take the credit. Because it's the right thing to do obviously and not to triple piss off your CISO.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Why get rid of the rope?

Without HR there's no tree.

E: Job hunt good news, I've spoken with like 8-10 people today. Bad news: I can barely remember what half of them were for without checking notes. Also I need to work on my resume more because it's not emphasizing my strong points. I feel like I'm putting more work into job hunting than into my actual job at this point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe she just wants the wood.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Maybe she just wants the wood.

Lets not do this. Okay? Its cringe as gently caress and not really that funny to boot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Si senor.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sickening posted:

CISO loving around with roles and settings broke it, right? As much as I want to blame salesperson user error I can't see it being anything other than CISO breaking it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like I'm putting more work into job hunting than into my actual job at this point.

this is a good thing!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 10, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm going to have a week off and am willing to be your 100% remote H.R. Manager so I can fire that person and give you a raise.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

J posted:

CISO loving around with roles and settings broke it, right? As much as I want to blame salesperson user error I can't see it being anything other than CISO breaking it.

This is actually pretty common if you google it. Essentially the default calendar sharing policy (the only policy) was applied to everyone but it wasn't actually working for a few. You reset their calendar permissions in powershell , let the policy reapply, and it works. Its loving stupid and I don't understand fully why it broke, but I don't really give a poo poo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sickening posted:

This is a start up. She CISO believes she is god herself at times and is an incredibly toxic person. Everyone dreads working with her on anything and she doesn't understand most of the cloud technologies we use. She sure thinks she does though. She is an extreme micro manager and sole do-er of things, she only has me around her to tell her the wrong way "IE: the actual feasable way" so she can do it the right way "the way that won't work, hasn't work, and technically isn't possible to do". Nothing gets done, nothing gets done ever.

She is nuts and has certain tendencies that are completely predictable. One of the service desk employees is someone she obsesses over. All things are his fault for doing "wrong". He has only been an employee here for 2 months, but she routinely blames him for things that were clearly setup before he was an employee here. I often have to remind her of this fact. Its to the point where its starting to make me feel uncomfortable because she will bring up his name in every meeting, every conversation, and its just silly. Its compulsive.

She has decided that IS Security is not just security, but also the folks who define the proper way every other team does their job. Its possible the helpdesk made an actual mistake with something or she just perceived they did, and she has stripped them of all roles. Didn't tell them, just removed their roles. Now I am suppose to work service desk tickets. I am not going to work them mind you, I am just going to pretend to flail along with them while I do work with my other jobs. Smile and nod and let the CEO finally decide when enough is enough.

Paychecks still cash.

Is her name Leslie perchance?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kensei posted:

Is her name Leslie perchance?

No, but lets not do this either.

Once the paychecks stop flowing, I will spill more and it will make more sense as she is quazi famous.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's how I imagine HP-era Fiorina would run a place but it's obviously not that

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That's exactly who I picture reading these stories, lol. Just batshit, but as long as the checks keep cashing...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

They aren't jobs where there's a concept of 'clocking on'

right, i understand that. poor word choice.

Sickening posted:

May days are busier than they were. But lets not kid ourselves, SR engineer gigs and up aren't exactly digging ditches. Outside of meetings, if you are constantly swamped with work its because you are the only person trying to swamp themselves with work.

fair enough. do all your jobs know you’re working multiple jobs? I’m sure there have been times you’ve had to reschedule meetings due to conflicts.

Mostly just curious. It sounds wicked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

star eater posted:

fair enough. do all your jobs know you’re working multiple jobs?

Lol, gently caress no. I give them the same transparency on my own employment as they do of theirs. You would be surprised how much on the side your executive leadership have going on.

When a conflict comes up, your choices are limited to your imagination. Usually simply rescheduling is all that is needed. But the occasional emergency, power outage, computer issue, etc can come in handy. I am lucky enough to not really have any conflicts.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Have you bumped into anyone that is also doing something similar as you at the same job?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

How in the world does someone like this pass any type of interview. Do you have an even more insane CEO? Like, who hires someone like this?

Startup world can be a weird, weird place. I worked for a software start up, and one day the CEO forwarded me an e-mail that someone sent him. It was the cold call equivalent of a job application. The e-mail was rambling and incoherent. Like the writer had some untreated mental illness that was way past needing treatment. But the CEO liked the moxie of it and hired the guy. He later had a breakdown when sent to the be the advance crew for a trade show. Instead of going to the airport he just did laps around the 610 loop in Houston. Not a bad guy per se, and probably would have been a good employee if he had some mental health treatment.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sickening posted:

No, but lets not do this either.

Once the paychecks stop flowing, I will spill more and it will make more sense as she is quazi famous.

I was more making a terrible joke for a couple goons I used to work with who would have gotten it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thomamelas posted:

Startup world can be a weird, weird place. I worked for a software start up, and one day the CEO forwarded me an e-mail that someone sent him. It was the cold call equivalent of a job application. The e-mail was rambling and incoherent. Like the writer had some untreated mental illness that was way past needing treatment. But the CEO liked the moxie of it and hired the guy. He later had a breakdown when sent to the be the advance crew for a trade show. Instead of going to the airport he just did laps around the 610 loop in Houston. Not a bad guy per se, and probably would have been a good employee if he had some mental health treatment.

So that stupid boomer advice of just going in and asking for a job works? Huh

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

HR doesn't exist in this start up yet.
Hiring a CISO before literally any HR function sure sounds like a company that doesn't understand where risk lives in the organization

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sounds like the new IBM spinoff to be honest. Know a bunch of folks there and it’s the same type of shitshow.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Where’s clam down. I need to buy him a shirt.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Also sickenings manager should get one too.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone know which brand/model of fido2/u2f/webauthn key is the "hardiest"? like imagine your typical user that breaks a laptop every week and permanently uses a phone with a shattered screen and back. is there something that doesn't get hosed up getting wet, being yanked out by a keychain, sitting on a heavy keychain and surviving the bend, being thrown against a wall when they get home

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Biowarfare posted:

not sure if this is the right thread but does anyone know which brand/model of fido2/u2f/webauthn key is the "hardiest"? like imagine your typical user that breaks a laptop every week and permanently uses a phone with a shattered screen and back. is there something that doesn't get hosed up getting wet, being yanked out by a keychain, sitting on a heavy keychain and surviving the bend, being thrown against a wall when they get home

My yubikey 5csi is getting a raw deal daily since it’s not being handled nice and all it has to show is a bit of scratching near the keychain hole. Feitian seems to be another alternative albeit with shittier plastic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm excited for all the stuff I want to do at the new place. I don't know much about the environment yet but this weekend the outgoing I.T. person is going to get started on my preliminary list of questions, account creation, etc.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bonzo posted:

Don't most TAM positions usually have sales quotas tied to them?

Absolutely not.

I shouldn’t make blanket statements but a TAM is typically post-sales support and has no agenda or quotas assigned.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sickening posted:

Lol, gently caress no. I give them the same transparency on my own employment as they do of theirs. You would be surprised how much on the side your executive leadership have going on.

When a conflict comes up, your choices are limited to your imagination. Usually simply rescheduling is all that is needed. But the occasional emergency, power outage, computer issue, etc can come in handy. I am lucky enough to not really have any conflicts.

I swear two of my former team members were doing this a month into the pandemic. One guy in particular lived on the other side of the world and hardly ever replied to Teams messages (even though he showed as online) missed nearly every team meeting and stand up because "he was on a call". He took days to work on tickets that took most of us hours to resolve. Lots of needless escalations to L3 and other SME to "confirm my findings and next steps".

The other guy was, I believe, spending the bulk of his time taking online courses. I'm all for that but his constant reasons for being away from work was creating more work for the rest of us.

I'm not implying anything about you Sickening, just saying that yeah it can be done :-)

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

GreenNight posted:

Here it's Me -> IT Director -> CFO.

Oh hey me too, what's your title?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I love our confusing org structure. I report to the CISO, but there is a "dotted line" from me to the CTO.

This happened because HR asked me who I want to be my boss and I said the CISO (trying to help him justify taking the CIO position) but the CTO felt I should be reporting to him??

It sounds unnecessarily complicated but the CTO is really hands off and let's me operate autonomously, he's really just there to help keep the overall infrastructure strategy aligned with the companies objectives.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Silly Newbie posted:

Oh hey me too, what's your title?

Network Admin. Supposedly I'm to meet with the boss when I'm back from vacation to go over the IT org chart since we want to hire 5 people next year. Told him I expect a Senior in front of my title with a compensation increase. He had me go over my job description and add all the things I do now that I did not do when I was last promoted. It was substantial.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

My yubikey 5csi is getting a raw deal daily since it’s not being handled nice and all it has to show is a bit of scratching near the keychain hole. Feitian seems to be another alternative albeit with shittier plastic.

I've had the plastic inside the connector on my 5c get all bent out of shape so now it won't fit in a usb-c socket, and it's lived on my keychain for like 3 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

CTO > Me (IT Director) > 3 Service Desk people. My title inflation is hilarious but I'll take it, especially in the hellscape that is now Austin so if I ever do a lateral move it'll still be a net increase