Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I realized I was doing something dumb.
If I am turning right I am subconsciously getting over to the right side of the lane. Same with turning left.

You're talking about regular traffic light/crossings? If so, that is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You're talking about regular traffic light/crossings? If so, that is correct.

Yeah, regular traffic crossings - if this image below was more of a T, straight and a 90 degree turn onto a residential road. Or a stop light.

Is it right for people who live in the states, drive on the right?
I think it is making the turning radius tight. It doesn't REALLY matter, at road speeds. I am turning at a normal rate of speed for traffic. So keep doing it?
I _COULD_ take a corner faster if I started from the outside.

It would be the equivalent of taking the inside corner which is a tight radius in this image. See how they are starting on the left side of that track? Start on the right and it's a harder turn to do. That kinda just clicked suddenly with me when I was riding the other day.

The MSF course covered cornering lines and it didn't really make sense to me, but it wasn't touched on in the hands on experience. My road driving experience carried over to the bike unintentionally - but if it's right to do that, nevermind!
I suddenly "get" it though and am not sure which to continue doing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 7, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Stay on the right side, exit on the right side.
When just taking corners, it's also good practice to stay on the side of the lane you started in, especially if you are riding with other people.
Racing lines are for when racing (or riding fast). With my riding partner, we have sections where we agree to increase separation so that we can move across in the lane.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Check your local laws.

I know drat well the fuzz here can check registration (and probably insurance status) from their cars; ten years ago when my old car got squashed between an F150 and a Hilux, I didn't have my papers on hand, and I told the cops that, and they neglected to stick me with the "driving without insurance" charge that I was totally bracing myself for

(this is my entry for the "tell me you're a white male without telling me you're a white male" contest)

Plus now the gov't has stopped issuing stickers for your plate and we were explicitly told "the cops don't need to see that to check if your plate is current any more"

I still keep my reg and insurance in a little folder and transfer it between jackets, because why give a cop an excuse

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Things this forum has taught me about riding my bike:
* Balls of the feet on the pegs. I used to put my heels on the pegs and had a little trouble adjusting to the new foot position but it felt so much better I kept at it and now it's my default position.
* Rev-matchting when shifting.
* Keeping a relaxed upper body. I still have a tendency to death-grip my handlebars when riding sometimes but I'm getting much better at it.
* Counter-steering.

Still lots of room for improvement but I'm enjoying riding much more now. Which is great, because that's the purpose! Thanks, thread.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Regarding lines in traffic, I was taught to place the motorcycle so that nobody (including other bikers) is tempted to pass on the inside of my turn. Before a left turn, this means placement far to the left in my lane, on a right turn the opposite is true. Where I live passing on the right is allowed if the vehicle ahead is clearly signalling the intent (by blinkers, vehicle placement and speed) to turn left.
If I'm in a turn-only lane I was taught to stay smack in the middle of the lane but to use my blinkers even if I have to turn - most drivers don't bother to do this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sixth and maimed posted:

* Keeping a relaxed upper body. I still have a tendency to death-grip my handlebars when riding sometimes but I'm getting much better at it.

This is still a thing I find myself struggling with. I always feel so comfortable when I tell myself to relax and loosen up but somehow my default state is "clenched and stiff". The number of times I've leaned into a turn and realized that my arms are basically metal poles and I'm strangling the bars like they owe me money is staggering and always an unwelcome discovery.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Martytoof posted:

This is still a thing I find myself struggling with. I always feel so comfortable when I tell myself to relax and loosen up but somehow my default state is "clenched and stiff". The number of times I've leaned into a turn and realized that my arms are basically metal poles and I'm strangling the bars like they owe me money is staggering and always an unwelcome discovery.

I struggle with this exact thing, and also constantly have to remind myself to not sit on my tailbone, or rather to use my core to not collapse my abdomen if that makes sense.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Invalido posted:

Regarding lines in traffic, I was taught to place the motorcycle so that nobody (including other bikers) is tempted to pass on the inside of my turn. Before a left turn, this means placement far to the left in my lane, on a right turn the opposite is true. Where I live passing on the right is allowed if the vehicle ahead is clearly signalling the intent (by blinkers, vehicle placement and speed) to turn left.
If I'm in a turn-only lane I was taught to stay smack in the middle of the lane but to use my blinkers even if I have to turn - most drivers don't bother to do this.

Perfect, thanks. The opposite was covered in my MSF class and I sorta ignored it. What you said makes sense and is what I was doing to avoid tempting people to pass on the inside of my turn.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jcam posted:

I struggle with this exact thing, and also constantly have to remind myself to not sit on my tailbone, or rather to use my core to not collapse my abdomen if that makes sense.

I used to struggle with potato sack slouching as well. Now I CAN'T relax, even on cruisers my back is ramrod straight and my core tight all the time. After a while it stops being tiring, a while after that it starts being automatic. It helps of you've got all your controls and bars in comfortable positions etc.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Recently took a dirt riding class, per a suggestion from this thread. Just some thoughts:

We were on Honda CRF230s. It's taller than my CBR and I had to be on my toes, but I felt pretty comfortable on it (I'm 5' 7"/170cm). I think it's because it's such a narrow bike. The bike that I struggled the most to balance was a cruiser I think because it was so wide, even though the seat height was so low. So I think width is more important than height as far as my handling abilities.

The suspension on the bike felt nice. I expected the ride to be more jarring through the course, but it felt quite smooth, even when sitting. I also thought it was pretty responsive, though I don't have much to compare it to.

The course emphasized leveraging your bodyweight to maneuver and counterbalance. We did a lot of standing almost upright on the pegs, which was a fairly new riding posture for me. It also got pretty tiring. I struggled a bit with positioning my feet on the pegs during sharp turns, which I think led me to run wide a few times.

We rode a bit in sand, gravel, and slippery grass. We also rode through the woods a bit and practiced going over logs and obstacles. Breaking traction is no longer terrifying, but I don't think I'm skilled enough to use techniques like sliding the rear to my advantage.

I think the key thing I came away with was becoming more comfortable allowing the bike to maneuver itself beneath me as the terrain changes (which I recall was the main reason I was advised to try dirt riding). But beyond that, I'm not sure what else is transferrable to street riding, though I haven't had a chance to ride my own bike since the class. Fun experience overall.

T Zero fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 11, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's transferrable is that the next time you lose traction on the road, you can react somewhat appropriately instead of making GBS threads your pants and crashing. That alone, by itself, is hugely valuable. Anything more is a bonus.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

T Zero posted:

Recently took a dirt riding class, per a suggestion from this thread. Just some thoughts:

Fun experience overall.

That's cool to hear. Crf230s are pretty plush for dirt bikes suspension wise, and as low to the ground as they get for a "full size" bike, I can touch just my tip toes on my wr250. Dirt bikes are tall.

I think more people should try dirt riding. It's a whole different perspective that can only benefit your road riding. When I started riding dirt, people kept telling me to stand up. What a difference it made when the trail got difficult. Letting the bike float beneath you takes some practice and ultimately I learned the benefits of body positioning and weight transfer, plus getting comfortable in situations you would normally be uncomfortable in like low/lost traction.

I really need to fix my dirt bike and get my back healed so I can get out riding again.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I got stung by a bee. Risks of the 3/4.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The "Let's ride" that the Honda shows on the display when I turn it on is very :3:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

numberoneposter posted:

I got stung by a bee. Risks of the 3/4.

Did you learn anything

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had an unpleasant moment today.
The weather has been nice for a week or two with no rain, but today I rode through a patch that was wet, though the rain had already passed by the time I came trough. I was cornering in a roundabout at a steady and moderate speed and suddenly found myself in a pretty dramatic two wheel slide. I reacted by doing what I guess I always do when heading for a low sider on pedal bikes on snow and ice and put my foot down, which is probably not the best idea on a street bike. The pavement felt super slippery under my foot too. I managed to not fall and came out of the roundabout OK, but I was probably close to wiping out. No idea how to train that reflex away and keep the foot on the peg next time. Probably by falling over more on my commuter e-bike this winter I guess.
I think there was probably some kind of spilled car fluid (possibly old) that got floated around by the rain water which caused the slide, though I didn't see any obvious sheen or anything like that. It was a bit slippery in other wet places too but nothing like in that roundabout, it was more like ice than pavement.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah the first rain after a dry spell lifts and washes away all the oil, etc that's been building up on the streets, so it's going to be a lot more slippery then your standard wet pavement. Avoid riding in it if possible.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I pay extra attention in roundabouts near gas stations. Its not uncommon to see diesel spills in the first big turn after filling up. Too many badly maintained lorries and contractor vans out there. Add some rain to that and you have fun.
It's also approaching fall in the northern hemisphere so there are leaves and more general debris in the road.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Drake no: Stop riding for the season because it's cold

Drake yes: Stop riding for the season because they dump sand and gravel all over the roads

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
My first spill was on a roundabout by a petrol station. Lesson learnt. Luckily it was a slow low side.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
FortNine released a vid about using counter-leaning for turning. Thoughts of the thread?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sixth and maimed posted:

FortNine released a vid about using counter-leaning for turning. Thoughts of the thread?

Leaning off is for people who have full control over their bike and are therefore not newbies.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I leaned off my bike once. Right off.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

While there is some leaning going on, I don't make a huge effort at it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

sixth and maimed posted:

Was he talking leaning the opposite direction for slow speed maneuvers (pushing the bike under you)? That's taught in the MSF class so nothing crazy there.

If you're talking about hanging off the bike on the inside of the direction you're turning then yeah, you don't need to worry about that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It’s just a click-bait video IMO.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

It was basically "you're not fast enough to lean like this, but counter-leaning like this is useful"

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

f9 sucks now that aneesh left. he lost subscriber

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Toe Rag posted:

It’s just a click-bait video IMO.
And it's already spawned a flurry of response and response to the response videos that are flooding my feed so it's working lol god I hate Youtube sometimes

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

right arm posted:

f9 sucks now that aneesh left. he lost subscriber

What happened there?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

What happened there?

:shrug:

probably left to go make actual money instead of whatever f9 was paying him. he was obviously more than half of the talent of that channel cause the quality has taken a steep dive after he left

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a secret for you

f9 has always been bad

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I will agree to disagree on that. I liked his earlier stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only thing I dislike about Ryan is that he is a super bad actor who loves to ham it up for the camera. Doesn’t at all feel natural like Ari or Zack, for example.

Contentwise? Eh, there’s probably some good stuff in there. I don’t take it too seriously though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

The only thing I dislike about Ryan is that he is a super bad actor who loves to ham it up for the camera. Doesn’t at all feel natural like Ari or Zack, for example.

That’s his entire schtick though. He’s a complete goober that does terrible accents and has a production team that indulges his silly ideas.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I counterlean at slow to medium speed, I previously assumed it was because I learned to ride dirt bikes before road bikes.

Fast I stay neutral and just keep my eyes parallel to the ground.

e. Counterleaning is a huge part of fast ski carving, which is analogous to motorcycling

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That’s his entire schtick though. He’s a complete goober that does terrible accents and has a production team that indulges his silly ideas.

Well I can't argue with that. I feel like if he dialed it back like 25% it would be bearable.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

He's a Weird Nerd On The Internet trying too hard to make Top Gear But Motorcycles, but some of the videos where he does actual tests and stuff have some good info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah I guess the fact that it’s all a schtick is no reason you can’t still dislike it. Derpy overacting is just way more interesting to me than the majority of other moto content on youtube, which is either badass extreme dudes or motovloggers breathing hard into a helmet mic or bullshit hipster videos. F9 puts a lot of work into production, which I appreciate too.

And a lot of the product tests have at least some level of experimental design, whether or not they’re always 100% real world applicable.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 14, 2021