Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

It looked like poo poo even back then. And the designs were stupid even if they didn't make everything look like Poser models - ogres and trolls were just monstrous looking guys instead of weird hulking monsters.

A bizarre choice to put money and development time into it when EQ was still going.

And as a result they had to do a ton of weird poo poo to make it distinct from EQ to try to pull in unique subs.

They really would’ve been better off trying to make a whole new franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

I can't help but feel like I'm playing Reboot: The MMO

Don't threaten me with a good time.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sachant posted:

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Yeah that makes it sound way cooler than it actually is. A Reboot MMO would loving rule.

EQ2 looks like poo poo is my point

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Also doesn't EQ2 still have poor performance because they coded it around the idea that someday we would have 10GHz CPUs?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MH Knights posted:

Also doesn't EQ2 still have poor performance because they coded it around the idea that someday we would have 10GHz CPUs?

Yes. They have made some multithreading upgrades to the engine, but yeah it loves speed not cores.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

im looking for someone who will bury me inside a time capsule with vanguard the saga of heroes the mmorpg. as a bonus, when a future generation discovers it they can understand what it was like to have a good time

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Kevin Bacon posted:

im looking for someone who will bury me inside a time capsule with vanguard the saga of heroes the mmorpg. as a bonus, when a future generation discovers it they can understand what it was like to have a good time

I have kept the physical copy of this game through many moves, but i don't even remember playing it

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Kevin Bacon posted:

I'll join you. The druid class was the best class I've ever played in any mmo. Such a good time.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Groovelord Neato posted:

It looked like poo poo even back then. And the designs were stupid even if they didn't make everything look like Poser models - ogres and trolls were just monstrous looking guys instead of weird hulking monsters.

A bizarre choice to put money and development time into it when EQ was still going.

also their character customizer, while being neat for how different everyone could in theory look, made it so that all the armor looked exactly the same.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just hit level 10 in EQ2 and it's good there's an auto-AA spender because Jesus Christ I though having 3 trees with lots of dumb little "+1% to crit" choices and multiple trap choices was dumb in WoW, there's like 7 or some poo poo in EQ2 lmao

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

FrostyPox posted:

I dl'ed EQ2 because I want to see if it's as bad as I remember.

Bad animations, questionable graphics (yeah, yeah they were going for "realistic" in 2004 but I can't help but feel like I'm playing Reboot: The MMO). I never liked how the game looked.

Bad spell effects

Forgot about the loving insane ability bloat when I looked at screenshots of higher level players, literally 6 hot bars full of abilities

Never clicked before, still doesn't click now.

Funniest thing is them hiring a team to "localise" (read: make replacements for) the player models for Japan/SK/etc. and then having to offer them to everyone else because of the universal reaction of "wtf why are these all better than the default ones?"

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FrostyPox posted:

I dl'ed EQ2 because I want to see if it's as bad as I remember.

Bad animations, questionable graphics (yeah, yeah they were going for "realistic" in 2004 but I can't help but feel like I'm playing Reboot: The MMO). I never liked how the game looked.

Bad spell effects

Forgot about the loving insane ability bloat when I looked at screenshots of higher level players, literally 6 hot bars full of abilities

Never clicked before, still doesn't click now.

I'd love to play Eq2 again but there has been a graphics bug on newer cards that just makes stuff in newer zones disappear until you stand right next to them and support has been useless.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I have had little issue with EQ2 with my current card. I also still love that it has an offensive and defensive target.

But I am playing on an old dead pvp time locked server since I hate the newer content.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Kevin Bacon posted:

This game was the bastard child of asheron's call and everquest, but the world wasn't ready

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
my ffxi friends and i were so excited for vanguard and then… that’s what it was.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I actually played Vanguard with my EQ2 guild. They were pretty good dudes but they jumped ship to Vanguard after I had only been playing EQ2 for like a month and was level 25 or so.

Then I never went back to EQ2 and Vanguard had some cool ideas but was overall kinda lovely and ran like complete garbage. Some really cool classes, diplomacy owned, but overall? Not great.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There were so many amazing bugs in vanguard.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I liked that the weird cat dudes were also Marvel's Venom since they had a racial ability that was, essentially, "Activate Symbiote". I forget what it did but I remember it existed and owned.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I played the open beta for Vanguard, I really liked the blood mage healer as did most people but I could tell there was a lot unfinished in that game from systems not working to whole stretches of the world just being barren and janky.

I remember someone posted stories of how the game engine was held together by paper clips and wishes and it was a miracle the thing even could launch.

I'd love to hear some vanguard stories and how long the game actually lasted before shutting down and how the diplomacy played out when you went beyond the basic cards at the beginning.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 11, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I remember someone posted stories of how the game engine was held together by paper clips and wishes and it was a miracle the thing even could launch.

To be fair that describes most commercial software.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So I played a goblin blood mage for the most part. The asian continent was never finished.

It was separated for the north and south where the north was orks and goblins and the south was asian humans, I think foxes, and something else.

In the south, there was some struggle going on with who was going to be the next emperor or something like that and they had released a bunch of evil spirits.

The orks and goblins had a different story for why the evil spirits were there but they just didn't know the truth.

Most of this was unlocked in diplomacy and a bit in quests. I really enjoyed being a goblin and screaming at NPCs to level up some dumb talking minigame.

The asian area was just never finished.

As for major bugs, the other two continents were well developed except they never communicated due to poor management. They were done in style and programming completely different. Like different types of quests and what not.

The dark elf area had a huge issue which was the last quest for their city line spawned an army of undead skeletons. Well, if two people were on the quest, two armies would spawn.

And this was on a zone line where if you were on the other side, you did not see the skeletons. Soon as you hit it, you lagged a bit, then loaded in properly and hopefully were not dead by the armies of skeletons that people had failed to defeat.

As for the blood mage, it was just too over powered. I did macros at the start of the game to where every button would toggle my auto attack on and off to melee, use a wand to attack range, and then try to cancel any spell that was going off, followed by any critical spell follow up I had, then the actual spell.

The blood mage was too strong as it is but it filled the spot of dps and healer at the same time to the point it made groups not needed.

But god drat did I love the desert area and how the quests were layered on each other on what was actually going on inside.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, Vanguard had some great ideas (and blood mages need to be in more games) but the execution of the ideas left much to be desired. Quality was just all over the place.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That helps explains things, I made a asian guy blood mage and went exploring just to find everything empty or missing.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 11, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think one of the few EGMs I had a physical copy of instead of just reading the copies the library had was the one with the preview of Vanguard hyping up poo poo like the diplomacy system

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just saw some people in EQ2 chat saying that EQ2 and New World are very similar

I don't think any of them have played New World

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
One thing that I can say about playing EQ and EQ2 was that I was never overly interested in my stats or min/maxing my character and never felt like I needed to. All the group content was more then enough to keep me playing for years, especially open world dungeons rather than scripted instances. The closest a modern MMO has come to a similar vibe to EQ2 to me is ESO, the biggest difference being that ESO has almost no compelling group content. Everything I found enjoyable in ESO was easily done by myself.

I haven't really found any modern MMO group content to be very fun, just something to be endured so that you can get loot to make your numbers bigger. A big part is because unless you do stuff with friends/guildmates you'll never see those rando's again thanks to megaservers. In EQ and EQ2 I would keep bumping into people that I grouped with at some point, which makes for a way more compelling online "community".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm playing P1999 with some goons and we grouped with a guy last night who had never played EQ but got dragged onto 99 from a friend and said he stuck with it because none of the other MMOs he tried did grouping as well.

FrostyPox posted:

I just saw some people in EQ2 chat saying that EQ2 and New World are very similar

I don't think any of them have played New World

They meant they're both bad.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm playing P1999 with some goons and we grouped with a guy last night who had never played EQ but got dragged onto 99 from a friend and said he stuck with it because none of the other MMOs he tried did grouping as well.

Curious what this means beyond "it has grouping in it", whereas most MMOs don't, really. Is it the relatively lower amount of combat uptime when doing group content? I always kinda liked that things seemed chilled out and you'd kinda be like "hm where should we go next" "maybe over here" but idk if that's specifically the thing that people were into.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

They meant they're both bad.

Well, sure, but that's not what they meant, I don't think. They were trying to rationalize why EQ2 seemed so dead and concluded that everyone was off playing the New World open beta.

It's like nah, dude, EQ2 is dead because no one plays it because it is not very good. I think I read that EQ1 has 2x the number of active players, lol.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 12, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm of the opinion that having a little downtime in groups every once in awhile is a great community builder, just shoot the poo poo with randoms every time your group has to get mana back or w/e, though EQ might have gone a little overboard with downtime if your group doesn't have mana regen or a bunch of hybrids that can backup heal while the healer meds

I made a lot more friends from EQ groups that weren't efficient enough to kill nonstop than I have in any game since, though i'm not sure how much of that was the gameplay itself and how much of it was the relative lack of ways to connect with strangers online back then

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

A lot of the reason P99 has more people is nostalgia where there wasn't anything else at the time.

EQ2 does have some major problems, but it was also near the wow era which is a big factor to why people don't play it.

The rest of it was poor design. But honestly it still had some of the best pvp I have ever played.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/manykudos/status/1437297236224856069?s=20

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Looks like MDickie's wrestling game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I forgot Family Guy Online was a real thing that existed. I played it a little.

The whole thing is a fever dream

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The game used typical MMORPG character classes such as having Stewie act as a ranger, Peter as a tank, and Lois as a healer. Players would create their own character using the Griffin family as a template.

wait, they were taking money for cash shop purchases before the game exited beta

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

The game used typical MMORPG character classes such as having Stewie act as a ranger, Peter as a tank, and Lois as a healer. Players would create their own character using the Griffin family as a template.

wait, they were taking money for cash shop purchases before the game exited beta

Yes. Also the game never exited beta and was shut down a few months in lmao

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think I would like to play that release version of EQ2, the one that existed in the two weeks before WoW's release. I just want to marvel at the hubris.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think I would like to play that release version of EQ2, the one that existed in the two weeks before WoW's release. I just want to marvel at the hubris.

I wish I had, too. I played it shortly after launch, I want to say it was December of that year and then quit and then came back and then the Vanguard poo poo happened.

I actually just uninstalled eq2 because my brainworms are telling me to try TESO again and that game takes up way too much hard drive space, so something had to go.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

It was a nightmare. You got exp debt for any member of your group that died, so most people were hesitant to do pickup groups. Oh and the not actually being able to pick the class you wanted to play until 30.

Zil fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh god I forgot about the shared XP debt. Getting XP debt on yourself for you, personally, dying? Not the worst penalty. Shared XP debt? loving awful. I have the vaguest of memories of rage quitting a group because everyone kept dying and the debt was racking up