Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I really enjoy Machinist, but I'm so bummed that you can't get the Makai Hand Mortar anymore. Aside from the carbine rifles, I just think all the guns look so loving dumb. :smith:

Grimes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm about 2/3rd of the way through 3.0 and I can say that not only is the story top tier, but the VA is far superior to AAR. I have loved all the voices in Heavensward so far(excepting the dragons, the gibberish gets annoying) and they actually emote correctly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Part of that is because they switched Voice production to the UK and they do things differently than the US. For example most of their voice actors are classically trained stage actors so it's easier to get a good performance out of them.

That said I still miss some of the original VAs.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a reason I'd ever want to deposit gil with my retainers? Also I really need to stop crafting so goddamn much, almost every single inventory/storage slot I have available to me is full of HQ gear I've crafted that isn't selling off fast enough :argh:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is there a reason I'd ever want to deposit gil with my retainers?

There’s a gil cap, so if you hit that you can bank some on your retainers. Other than that, none that I’ve found.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
100 quests was the original patch total for ARR. There's a diagram floating around but they basically removed like 25 of the 60 quests for 2.1-2.3 and trimmed a bit in 2.4-2.5 as well as cleaning up a bunch of steps in the quests themselves.

Between that and flight it's absolutely streamlined but still fairly substantial. Take advantage of the access to Crystal Tower raids (mandatory anyway) and some of the 19 dungeons available at level 50 to mix it up a bit as you go. While the MSQ is on rails you have dramatically more access to side content once you clear 2.0.

Edit: found it - not as dramatic as I recall but they did a fairly large amount of cleanup in the slow patches.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 12, 2021

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Something I keep forgetting to ask... (ARR spoilers) What's up with that scene where Cid gets his memories back and you float out of the sky to give him his goggles?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Something I keep forgetting to ask... (ARR spoilers) What's up with that scene where Cid gets his memories back and you float out of the sky to give him his goggles?

It's a 1.0 reference.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Part of that is because they switched Voice production to the UK and they do things differently than the US. For example most of their voice actors are classically trained stage actors so it's easier to get a good performance out of them.

That said I still miss some of the original VAs.

I'm torn on the voice changes because, while the actual acting is better, everyone is now some variation of "generic soft-spoken British person." The ARR voices had much more individuality.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I took it as if you played 1.0 it's literally you, if not it's using the echo to interact with him in his recollection. At least that's how I head canoned it. Don't think there's ever been an official explanation.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Theris posted:

I'm torn on the voice changes because, while the actual acting is better, everyone is now some variation of "generic soft-spoken British person." The ARR voices had much more individuality.

For what it's worth that changes some later on.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

HW gathering: where do I turn in collectibles like Rarefied Chalcocite?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

HW gathering: where do I turn in collectibles like Rarefied Chalcocite?

There's a town later called Idyllshire, but I think you can go back to Mor Dhona and trade stuff in at the collectible appraiser there too. Note only Rarefied-affixed items can be traded there, other collectibles have their own specific NPCs you need to unlock.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, I know all about Idyllshire already. I just got to Stormblood tonight, and figured I’d try getting caught up on my professions before heading into it in earnest.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

There's a town later called Idyllshire, but I think you can go back to Mor Dhona and trade stuff in at the collectible appraiser there too. Note only Rarefied-affixed items can be traded there, other collectibles have their own specific NPCs you need to unlock.
To add to this:
There's like three different kinds of collectable you can get from gathering:
The rarified ones come from unspoiled nodes and can be handed in at generic collectable appraisers.
The ones from the ephemeral nodes can be turned into aethersand
The ones from non-time-limited nodes are for the weekly turnins to named NPCs

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Theris posted:

They lean reasonably hard into regional British accents for different areas of the game, particularly in later xpacks, but if you're not someone who's lived in Britain you might struggle to pick that up sometimes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also, er… any recommendations for getting gathering professions geared up from ARR -> HW? I blew most of my GC seals already on getting the level 50 crafter set, and all of my gear right now is HQ 40-45ish stuff I crafted myself.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Regalingualius posted:

Also, er… any recommendations for getting gathering professions geared up from ARR -> HW? I blew most of my GC seals already on getting the level 50 crafter set, and all of my gear right now is HQ 40-45ish stuff I crafted myself.

The ARR to HW transition for crafter and gatherer gear is kinda rough. For gatherers, I'd try to push through to level 52-53 and pick up regular vendor gear in Ishgard, then take advantage of the stuff quest rewards give you. It's entire possible to do it by just smacking nodes in Coerthas Western Highlands. I've done the same stretch a while back on my main, and more recently on an alt, and ooof the itemization from 50 to onwards is weird and bad and you just have to muddle through.

Once you've hit 60, you can get decent gear for scrips, and it'll last you a good while. Same for 70, and I presume it'll be the same for 80. Heavensward crafting and gathering is, in comparison to the approach the game takes aftewards, goddamn loving bullshit at times, and the gearing up is part of it.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Grimes posted:

I really enjoy Machinist, but I'm so bummed that you can't get the Makai Hand Mortar anymore. Aside from the carbine rifles, I just think all the guns look so loving dumb. :smith:

What are your thoughts on comically-oversized revolvers?

(PvP tokens in the Wolves' Den)

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Grimes posted:

I also hate most of the guns, but I figured out a way around it. Tech style.

If you want to go more of a tech route, the Ironworks gun (level 50 Poetics), Scaevan gun (level 70 poetics), the Ferdinand (level 60 relic, base model for Centurio Seals in Ishgard inn), the Midan gun (Level 60 Alexander Raid, Burden of the Son Savage), and the Murderer (Level 80, crafted, marketboard) are all a) covered in techy glowy bits, and b) have fun animations when you pull them out, except the Ferdinand. (very important)

Edit: All these guns are dyeable too

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 12, 2021

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
i need to run World of Darkess to be able to move any further in the MSQ. The other two alliance raids went relatively smooth, but i looked at a video for this one and i am feeling too overwhelmed to even join a group. So many mechanics!!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

g-c posted:

i need to run World of Darkess to be able to move any further in the MSQ. The other two alliance raids went relatively smooth, but i looked at a video for this one and i am feeling too overwhelmed to even join a group. So many mechanics!!!

It's really not that bad. Just queue up and go for it. Videos are going to be extremely outdated and irrelevant cuz everyones so outgeared most of the things that were dangerous are really not anymore. With a couple exceptions.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Definitely seems like there's more than there really is. First boss is the only tricky one; just alternate red/white pools, and look away when he uses Mortal Gaze (if you don't do it in time step on the glowy pad). Cerberus has a few mechanics as well but you could probably still get away with just focusing adds, even if you're in groups B or C.

Or just go with goons

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

g-c posted:

It's definitely a step up in difficulty, but it's not too bad. All of these big 24-man raids are designed for 24 strangers to be able to accomplish them without coordination.

The biggest stumbling block in WoD is actually the first boss. I've seen way more wipes on it than any of the others. Here are the things you need to know to not die:

- A purple eye will appear over his head. When this happens, turn your character to look away until the attack goes off. This is called a gaze attack, and is relatively common from here on out (especially in 8 and 24 man content)

- If you don't dodge that attack, you'll get the debuff doom. To remove this and not die, you have to step on a glowing circle that rotates around the arena. This mechanic is one of the major reasons this raid wipes, people don't know what the eye means, don't notice the doom, and don't know how to clear it, so they just die.

- Kill adds ASAP, including the hourglasses.

- If there's a weird AOE marker that is like a purple circle putting tethers on everyone inside it, just run out of it. It's technically a thing you avoid by having a number of players not divisible by three within, but it's impossible to coordinate, so just get away.

The rest is just obvious stuff like "don't stand in front of the boss", and the other bosses you can clear by sticking with the crowd. Angra Mainyu requires a lot of individual action, which is why it's so often a shitshow.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

g-c posted:

To be perfectly honest if you're willing to die a few times you can queue for everything in this game totally blind but savage/ultimate content. Don't feel like it's a faux pas or anything, just let your group know it's your first run. Half the time when I run EX fights with friends I just wing it and I'm the MT.

WoD is a sometimes hilarious shitshow regardless but that will be in no way incumbent on how much prepwork you do.

Just go and enjoy the spectacle and please don't feel like the content you run as you go along requires homework. It really doesn't. This goes double if you're the kind of person who watches a video guide for something and gets overwhelmed trying to remember everything.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Don’t sweat it.

If you wipe on boss, people explain mechanics.
Respawning is pretty painless in ffxiv.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
yeah i had a dude in the first raid of crystal tower get pretty upset when i or someone else died. i know it's a rarity for people in this game to poo poo on you but when it does happen, it's never in a subtle easy way lol -- so now im like anxious im gonna piss someone off (which is stupid, i admit)

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
having just cleared The Wall into HW yesterday, i just wanna put a shout out for arr not being that bad; it's long but i generally enjoyed the entire process and thought the story was good. there were maybe a couple areas where it felt more tedious than needed, but much of the filler was quite enjoyable. if you find yourself violently hating the game then maybe what folks have said about this not being the game for you has some legs to it

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

g-c posted:

yeah i had a dude in the first raid of crystal tower get pretty upset when i or someone else died. i know it's a rarity for people in this game to poo poo on you but when it does happen, it's never in a subtle easy way lol -- so now im like anxious im gonna piss someone off (which is stupid, i admit)

I get that feeling even knowing that one stranger on the internet telling you not to stress about it doesn't cancel out another stranger on the internet being an rear end.

CT is weird that way. LOTA has weird mechanics that can screw everything up, WoD has weird mechanics that act uniquely that can kill folks, and 3/4 the people in there at most times are doing poo poo on autopilot because they have run them so many times in Alliance DR.

Anyway, while you do have to clear it to continue the MSQ, if you're not ready yet you can go poke at side dungeons or content or just level something else in the meanwhile, game's not going anywhere.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
ok, that wasn't as bad as i was expecting. the group was very coordinated and helpful. we didn't wipe at all lmao

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

g-c posted:

ok, that wasn't as bad as i was expecting. the group was very coordinated and helpful. we didn't wipe at all lmao

There aren't a ton of options in the Alliance Raid roulette comparatively and people run it to level their non-primary classes pretty often (it's the second best roulette for XP), so pretty much everyone who isn't on their first run has run the level 50 raids a lot.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's really not that bad. Just queue up and go for it. Videos are going to be extremely outdated and irrelevant cuz everyones so outgeared most of the things that were dangerous are really not anymore. With a couple exceptions.

For future reference for anyone else in this spot, there is a series of "Running Crystal Tower raids nowadays" vids. The first one is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1mgTFDkQ-Q

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Question regarding multiplatform play, I couldn't find an answer for. I own the full game on PC, if I wanted to get just the base game on PS4 to do <50 content for alt jobs is that something I can do, or would I need the full game

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

g-c posted:

:nice:

I'm current on the content, but when I was doing regular raid/trials/dungeons first time, I did them completely blind.

I just greeted with: "Hi. First time here." and if no one started to explain mechanics, I assumed there wasn't anything noteworthy.
Sometimes we wiped, but that's life.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

adhuin posted:

I just greeted with: "Hi. First time here." and if no one started to explain mechanics, I assumed there wasn't anything noteworthy.
Sometimes we wiped, but that's life.

yea that's usually what i do anyways. i dont ever want it to be my fault that something goes wrong but i think im over it. im a good tank, drat it!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bragon posted:

Question regarding multiplatform play, I couldn't find an answer for. I own the full game on PC, if I wanted to get just the base game on PS4 to do <50 content for alt jobs is that something I can do, or would I need the full game

Licensing is separate per platform so you would need to buy a copy of the game for PS4/5. IIRC the first time you do buy for a platform you get a free month, or at least I did when I bought it for PS3 back in the day.

So if you wanted to go that route you're probably best served waiting for November and just getting a complete version license so you have absolutely everything available on PlayStation as well. I assume buying the starter pack right now would just enable your account for ARR/HW content.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
where can one get street clothes in this game? i like my armor a lot but i also kinda wanna tank in sneakers and jeans

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

g-c posted:

where can one get street clothes in this game? i like my armor a lot but i also kinda wanna tank in sneakers and jeans
Outside of a few seasonal event items that are either unavailable, or available on the mogstation, the vast majority of this stuff is made by crafters.

Check out the Marketboard for Level 1 gear in any given slot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

g-c posted:

Regular street clothes are often very difficult to get or expensive.

Best place to look is on the market board if you can. Most of the fashion stuff is level 1, and you can try it on from the market board without buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Try the Tantalus Breeches for jeans, and there should be a vendor that gives you a decorative racial shirt that would do for a T-shirt.