Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

theres a lot of pop-in in general, texture and background details too. npcs are def. the most noticeable tho

I haven't noticed textures too much on PS5 in an hour or so, but NPCs pop-in like twenty feet away. it doesn't seem like it should be this bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Mystic Arte Spoilers I LOVE this incarnation of Indignation! :stare: It came so early too!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Shionne from where I am at seems like a good person who does not want to be a good person.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Who is Shionne, I only know the devourer of food, blackhole of nutrients

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah I should say my argument on a more general level. I haven’t played enough Arise to make a judgement but I think Berseria is just a good story period so that’s a high bar to reach and this game probably won’t

I’m kind of feeling the same. The story in Arise is definitely a cut above any game between Abyss and Berseria, but it’s not really pulling me in as much as Berseria did when comparing them both 10-12 hours in, and the characters are all good but I’m not hooked like I was with Magilou or Eizen or even Velvet.

But I am eager to see where the story goes from here

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ershalim posted:

I'm really enjoying the game so far. I only have the first four characters unlocked and I've been making my way through on hard because getting beat the gently caress up is kinda fun. The second set piece boss was great once I realized that the game mostly tries to target the character you're playing as, specifically. After I learned that, it was just a matter of playing Rinwell, the wind goddess and just kind of ... flying all the time forever.

I thought she'd be like Magilou in playstyle, but she's more like Milla. Her non-spell artes are really, really good for being more or less untouchable. At level 15 I was double jumping and then spamming the wind arte that lets you fly-dash to avoid most everything. I'm kinda hoping mechanics-spoiler-maybe that she gets some way to cast in the air but even if not, using her as a non-spell caster is super fun. Of the 4 I have access to now, they're all very versatile and a blast to play, but I feel kinda forced off Shionne so she can do heals cuz I never have any money. And Law's gimmick feels a little less developed than the other 3 so far, but he hits overlimit constantly, so that's something. :v:

Huh, interesting. I haven't touched her normal artes yet but I discovered that storing 2x Spread and then casting Air Thrust gives you a large water laser and that's been fun to shoot at things. It can whiff fairly easily but it does good damage.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have picked this game up. Kinda digging how everything looks so far. Combat so far seems familiar enough that it shouldn't be an issue for me to enjoy this one. Still only about an hour and some change into the game though.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I like the eyes on everyone. They seem to have done a good job in animating them. Also agreed on most parts about the combat. I should probably turn of semi-auto since trying to hit weak spots when its a hind leg and the target the game is trying to hit being the head isn't any fun.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You can actually target the weak point like a normal enemy. It took me a bit to realize that, but it makes those fights a bit easier to deal with.

I've been playing on the default difficulty and things seem alright, until this second lord. I lost to him once and took a break from playing, but I'm expecting it to be a pain in the rear end based on what people have been saying.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Due to Law's actions during the second big boss fight of the game, he will now be permanently wearing the sunglasses attachment that stone cold badass motherfucker

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
New Tales good?

I've liked the tales games since Symphonia, with that and Abyss being favorites, but I think a lot of that is nostalgia. I bounced off the more recent ones because the dungeons and puzzles were so simple and boring and I felt like I had to do a lot more grinding to keep up with money/skills. I'm sure it's been like this a lot, it just hasn't bugged me until I got older. New game looks really good, are dungeons good? Like they're not just square/linear rooms where you're just walking to the button/action to keep moving onward?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 12, 2021

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Momomo posted:

You can actually target the weak point like a normal enemy. It took me a bit to realize that, but it makes those fights a bit easier to deal with.

I've been playing on the default difficulty and things seem alright, until this second lord. I lost to him once and took a break from playing, but I'm expecting it to be a pain in the rear end based on what people have been saying.

I didn't have any trouble with him and I'm bad at game. Dodge most of the time, do damage when you can, use items liberally, if you want to you can create a few accessories specifically to combat his element and you should be fine. The dungeon beforehand even gives you a free -50% light accessory to help.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its really odd that basically every monster boss has a satisfying amount of hp but all the human bosses (which by the way, I love having so many humanoid bosses otherwise) are absolute slogs to slowly whittle down. I don't get how they got the math off on these this way.

The other thing is the third zone very, very, very pleasantly surprised me. Thank you Tales of Arise writing team; we are hurtling 200 km an hour through a story but all the scenery is great so far.

Also its just polite design and probably goes back to an game older than this but I'm gonna call it Lost Odyssey where every dungeon contains accessories for dealing with that boss.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Had to bump it down to Story difficulty for the second Lord. I shouldn't be underlevelled as I've fought every single pack I see, even when backtracking for the (three?) sidequests. Also have the best equipment available. Or should I be endlessly grinding for SP?

The boss using their final ability Inquisition - am I supposed to be able to kill the 4 clones in time? Even on Story I don't seem to be able to do enough damage.

Edit: actually maybe I should just play as Alphen instead of Rinwell

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 12, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Its really odd that basically every monster boss has a satisfying amount of hp but all the human bosses (which by the way, I love having so many humanoid bosses otherwise) are absolute slogs to slowly whittle down. I don't get how they got the math off on these this way.

The other thing is the third zone very, very, very pleasantly surprised me. Thank you Tales of Arise writing team; we are hurtling 200 km an hour through a story but all the scenery is great so far.

Also its just polite design and probably goes back to an game older than this but I'm gonna call it Lost Odyssey where every dungeon contains accessories for dealing with that boss.

An odd question but:

Are you making use of all your character's abilities? For example Shionne gets a poison ability early which works on pretty much everything in the game including bosses and if you sleep on that she's going to be doing reduced damage for sure. Likewise Blazing Sword is an absolutely ridiculous damage boost and if you're worried about using it because of the HP loss you really shouldn't be. The sheer amount of damage Alphin can do with a Blazing Sword attack shouldn't be underestimated. With Rinwell you're going to be spamming high-damage attacks as often as possible, with Law you need to keep his damage boost up, etc.

I didn't have any real problem with boss HP but a major part of that was the fact that the game gives almost every character absurd ways to do insane amounts of damage but usually with some risk/reward mechanic. You should be getting used to perfect dodging/air combos/applying status effects/etc because they all contribute heavily to your damage output going way way up.

Edit: I really don't recommend grinding for SP as the game gives you more SP and better ways to get SP the further you go. If you're having a lot of trouble trying rejiggering your accessories or changing your tactics. For some boss battles I put on Prioritize Healing which made them go a lot smoother.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 12, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

PancakeTransmission posted:

Had to bump it down to Story difficulty for the second Lord. I shouldn't be underlevelled as I've fought every single pack I see, even when backtracking for the (three?) sidequests. Also have the best equipment available. Or should I be endlessly grinding for SP?

The boss using their final ability Inquisition - am I supposed to be able to kill the 4 clones in time? Even on Story I don't seem to be able to do enough damage.

Edit: actually maybe I should just play as Alphen instead of Rinwell

You probably can't take down the clones in time but Indignation shouldn't one shot you. It didn't oneshot me on Hard (I was level 17). Also get the -50% light damage accessories if you're having trouble with Ganabelt..

Also higher difficulties give more SP per fight, I think.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm nine hours in and I still only have the one Blazing Sword attack for Alphen, should I have unlocked more by the third region?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

An odd question but:

Are you making use of all your character's abilities? For example Shionne gets a poison ability early which works on pretty much everything in the game including bosses and if you sleep on that she's going to be doing reduced damage for sure. Likewise Blazing Sword is an absolutely ridiculous damage boost and if you're worried about using it because of the HP loss you really shouldn't be. The sheer amount of damage Alphin can do with a Blazing Sword attack shouldn't be underestimated. With Rinwell you're going to be spamming high-damage attacks as often as possible, with Law you need to keep his damage boost up, etc.

I didn't have any real problem with boss HP but a major part of that was the fact that the game gives almost every character absurd ways to do insane amounts of damage but usually with some risk/reward mechanic. You should be getting used to perfect dodging/air combos/applying status effects/etc because they all contribute heavily to your damage output going way way up.

Edit: I really don't recommend grinding for SP as the game gives you more SP and better ways to get SP the further you go. If you're having a lot of trouble trying rejiggering your accessories or changing your tactics. For some boss battles I put on Prioritize Healing which made them go a lot smoother.

I've been using blazing sword and its constituent bits constantly and working to max it out with SP since, as you point out, its where Alphens damage comes from a lot of the time. Its why I'm perplexed why monster bosses all universally feel like they have a satisfying amount of HP and all humanoid bosses feel like they're too long. Like plant boss in zone three was fun, enjoyable, and well paced (except the weirdness with targeting it at the end of the fight, whatever), and then the humanoid boss immediately following felt awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I'm nine hours in and I still only have the one Blazing Sword attack for Alphen, should I have unlocked more by the third region?

They're mostly unlocked by titles but I think you should get at least one other relatively early.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i have a dumb question:

how often should i be switching characters? the game really kinda doesn't seem to explain this, to the point that it seems easy to miss that you can switch at all.

i'm currently up to this wolf boss and just got my rear end kicked by its second phase with some ice attack that wiped out my entire party at once, and im not sure if i should be switching to other characters to avoid attacks, or if there's some strategy to use to make them actually dodge things, or what. also took me forever to get the second phase so i'm wondering if i should switch to other characters to increase damage or what

e: i tried playing as book girl and did more damage faster which was nice but the same attack wiped the whole party, whoof. i guess even if i managed to dodge all the attacks id have to revive everyone else after since it doesnt seem like theyre able to dodge it. unless theres like an interrupt i should be going for?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 12, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

i have a dumb question:

how often should i be switching characters? the game really kinda doesn't seem to explain this, to the point that it seems easy to miss that you can switch at all.

i'm currently up to this wolf boss and just got my rear end kicked by its second phase with some ice attack that wiped out my entire party at once, and im not sure if i should be switching to other characters to avoid attacks, or if there's some strategy to use to make them actually dodge things, or what. also took me forever to get the second phase so i'm wondering if i should switch to other characters to increase damage or what

e: i tried playing as book girl and did more damage faster which was nice but the same attack wiped the whole party, whoof. i guess even if i managed to dodge all the attacks id have to revive everyone else after since it doesnt seem like theyre able to dodge it. unless theres like an interrupt i should be going for?

You don't need to swap characters ever if you don't want, but it's worthwhile to try different characters to see who you like.

Depending on how far you are it's worth remembering that each character's D-Pad attack is a specific counter to a specific type of attack and Alphin's will just generally knock down anything. It's worth using if you see an enemy prepping for a big attack. Also it's usually most worthwhile to try breaking an enemy to stun them if you can because you can perfect dodge at the last second if it doesn't work out.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

man these boss fights are no joke. the 3rd lord just spams mystic artes when near death. its pretty easy to dodge but drat. theres also a charge attack that you can stagger with a boost attack but i never got the timing down and did it only once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

man these boss fights are no joke. the 3rd lord just spams mystic artes when near death. its pretty easy to dodge but drat. theres also a charge attack that you can stagger with a boost attack but i never got the timing down and did it only once.

I feel like it isn't a spoiler to say that charge attacks are a bit odd because you'll get a way to reliably stop them fairly soon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

Yeah the timing on that is rude its not like it recharges particularly quick.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Shionne def needs to take a chill pill or 2 tho

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You don't need to swap characters ever if you don't want, but it's worthwhile to try different characters to see who you like.

Depending on how far you are it's worth remembering that each character's D-Pad attack is a specific counter to a specific type of attack and Alphin's will just generally knock down anything. It's worth using if you see an enemy prepping for a big attack. Also it's usually most worthwhile to try breaking an enemy to stun them if you can because you can perfect dodge at the last second if it doesn't work out.
i think it's worth swapping to Shionne/Rinwell if you want to be a Real Optimal Gamer

unfortunately the AI seems to never use their aerial moves and so far all of the status effect moves I have are on Shionne and aerial. so you gotta manually play her to put those effects on.

and for Rinwell you want to manually cast Sharpness x2 to buff your whole party and unfortunately there's no ai setting for that (except to make Rinwell only buff herself with Sharpness for some reason)

edit: nevermind found it, the setting was buried and for some reason not the default??

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 12, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nyoro posted:

I like the prickly pear in moth eaten rags

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nyoro posted:

Early on she kind of reads like someone saw the Velvet was popular and tried to do that again, but also missed the point of why velvet was cool

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I hate how this stupid *3rd area spoilers* Dragon in the 3rd area is just easy enough when you first get to the area that you think maybe you can take it but it has so much health and defense that it's kind of a long stupid slog unless you come back to it later. Maybe when i'm level 30-ish or something instead of 20 I was thinking that the AI in this game is actually pretty smart at not being suicidal but i swear their quality has taken a nose dive ever since 4th member has joined.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
157 hit combo in act two, feels good

just hit nerds.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Anyone else feel like this game loving sucks compared to Berseria?

I am getting a lot of FFXIII vibes of “walking along a linear hallway”. And most of the side paths end with you finding an apple gel that I cannot fit in my inventory since I already have 15 apple gels.

As everyone else here is mentioning, the bosses are overturned and have way WAY too much health.

Each “area” so far has had about 3 different side quests (1 of each) - find me these food items (which you already have), kill 3-5 specific packs of monsters outside town, and walk around town and talk to 1-5 people.

This game feels like the most designed-by-committe milquetoast RPG I’ve played in awhile. I thought after Berseria they had finally figured this poo poo out.

I have beaten two lords.

For anyone who has gotten further, is it worth pushing through? Does it get better?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Paul Zuvella posted:

Early on she kind of reads like someone saw the Velvet was popular and tried to do that again, but also missed the point of why velvet was cool

I don't really get that sense at all, other then them being female characters with a goal. She seems more like Tear then Velvet to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ASenileAnimal posted:

The third lord is so far the only one I have had to turn down the difficulty for, I was having a lot of trouble with him. At least his Mystic arte is fairly easy to avoid, considering how much he uses it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pastrami posted:

For anyone who has gotten further, is it worth pushing through? Does it get better?

It does, I feel the first two Zones are meant to feel a bit more episodic.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Momomo posted:

I don't really get that sense at all, other then them being female characters with a goal. She seems more like Tear then Velvet to me.

If anything, she reminds me of early Milla.

I'm a little bit disappointed by finding out what Dohalim's situation is. It was obvious that the territory was not going to be as idyllic as it looked, but the problem with it and his personal fault seemed disconnected. Like, he and Kisara both admit they were complacent that they had solved racism but I don't know, it seemed kind of vague and noncommittal about what they actually should have done.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

so are we assuming the draw distance on NPCs is a bug that's going to be fixed? it's pretty egregious

Lol no. It's just very aggressive optimization.
The texture/LoD pop-in is at least moddable on PC. Not NPC draw distance though.

Pastrami posted:

Anyone else feel like this game loving sucks compared to Berseria?

Yeah the difference in quality is extremely noticeable.
None of the key staff from Berseria worked on this afaik.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Berseria was structurally totally different, starting from the foundation of its main character. Arise is a more classical type of RPG and it shows. I think it's doing it fine - insofar as imo Alphen is a decent character and a believable party leader, he has an actual back-and-forth dynamic with Shionne, and the game remembers the other party members have thoughts and feelings that aren't how cool he is.

Call it a low bar if you want, but unfortunately, they can't all be Abyss.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caphi posted:

I'm a little bit disappointed by finding out what Dohalim's situation is. It was obvious that the territory was not going to be as idyllic as it looked, but the problem with it and his personal fault seemed disconnected. Like, he and Kisara both admit they were complacent that they had solved racism but I don't know, it seemed kind of vague and noncommittal about what they actually should have done.

Put simply Dohalim was just kind of lazy. The only reason he was not a tyrant like the other lords is cause sad slaves reminded him of bad events in his past, and because he did not actually want to take part in the contest which a lot of Renans in his employ took as an insult, so they started sabotaging him for some other lord. Dohalim and Kisara feel they could have actually looked a bit beyond the surface to see if there were other problems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

The issue is that they didn't solve racism. Dohalim basically just didn't want to be a bastard because it made him feel bad for personal reasons but he did absolutely nothing beyond the surface level required to actually sustain things. He didn't actually want to make things better, he just wanted to make himself feel better, which is what gets pointed out. Rather than working to create a lasting peaceful society he basically set up the kingdom to fail the moment anything went wrong or the moment he left or was replaced. The reason things went so wrong with the Hollowing under his watch was because he wasn't really paying attention beyond just not being a complete bastard.

Kisara thought he was being genuine with his beliefs and supported him but had to come to the realization that poo poo was actually still very very bad and Dohalim is culpable in that because he was basically only paying lip service towards the ideals that she believed in wholeheartedly,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm confused about how to choose which skills to use/unlock in this. It's my first Tales game. It seems like there are multiple skills that do the same thing; the descriptions don't seem to indicate if they do different damage. I've just been using the skills semi-randomly.

Barudak posted:

I beat it, so admittedly it is better than Final Fantasy 6

Happy to see I'm not the only one who couldn't finish FF6.