Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
Season 2 of Kid Cosmic hit today and was a good time. Fantos was great and the story arc being a bit more Jo-centric helped keep Kid from getting too annoying. And the Powerpuff references at the end were fun. Looking forward to season 3 and what the team does next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I recognize Finn, Ed, and Naruto but who’s the other one?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Link. The Breath of the Wild 2 trailers gently caress up his arm.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wow, if I had a nickel for every time a blond character lost their arm, I'd have four nickels - which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened four times.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_l-uPS36Bo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Does Luke Skywalker count? He only lost his hand.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It depends if you think Luke and Anakin count as blonde or brown.

Also if they count as short, given the existence of Bigger Luke.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Does Luke Skywalker count? He only lost his hand.

Luke is only sometimes animated.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think Luke has ever been animated post-hand loss. Anakin on the other hand...

Other than that, all I can think of is that time that Fry fought Zoidberg.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And Fry of course gave his robot hands back to the robot devil.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

Wow, if I had a nickel for every time a blond character lost their arm, I'd have four nickels - which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened four times.

5 if you count Allison from Kill Six Billion Demons, but she's not short. Also not technically blonde any more.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So Maxwell Atoms posted on his Tumblr page(he has to be one of the last notable names in the industry still active on that site) about how at least for the time being CN shot down his proposal for a new Billy & Mandy movie, CN claiming that kids would have no idea what the show is(which is horse poo poo as GAOBAM has basically always had availability on at least one major streaming service at any given time in the last decade and seems to always do well on those services), which is a shame as the few tidbits he's shared about what it would have been about sounds really neat

My personal guess is that they rejected it both because CN is beginning a heavy push towards primarily the preschool market(and GAOBAM has basically always pushed the absolute boundaries of what one could get away with on an American cartoon for children), and also a suspicion I have that it's also them being petty towards Max due to him having refused to work on the Scooby-Doo/Courage The Cowardly Dog crossover movie(out of solidarity with John R Dilworth not being invited to work on the movie either)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Amazing World of Gumball actually puts in a fair amount of effort filling the background and supporting cast with characters with wildly different visual styles while all existing in CG backgrounds to really get a similar feel to Cartoon Network's "cartoon city" bumpers.

I may have missed somebody mentioning this but I thought the original premise for Gumball was a school for misfit or rejected cartoon characters - thus the widely different styles.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know if that was part of the original pitch, but apparently the origin of the show was that all the characters were from the creator's previously rejected cartoons and commercials.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kid Cosmic season 2 was not as fun as the first but I still really enjoyed it

And much like the first, I watched the whole drat thing in one sitting

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

yaffle posted:

I may have missed somebody mentioning this but I thought the original premise for Gumball was a school for misfit or rejected cartoon characters - thus the widely different styles.

I'm pretty sure that was just the creators pitch, that he had all these characters and would smush them all together. In-universe this is all just normal

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally got around to Kid Cosmic season 2. I loved the PPG cameo at the end. Also the reveals of the nature of Erodious were satisfying, I always like gradual reveals about how something works, I find them satisfying. also the main villain was entertaining.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ERODIUS!!!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Friend of mine recommended Centaurworld on Netflix, said it hit feelings like Adventure Time. I watched the first episode and thought the characters were annoying as gently caress, which seems to be the point. Does this show get better? Seems like "lol random" humor which doesn't really do it for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fun Times! posted:

Friend of mine recommended Centaurworld on Netflix, said it hit feelings like Adventure Time. I watched the first episode and thought the characters were annoying as gently caress, which seems to be the point. Does this show get better? Seems like "lol random" humor which doesn't really do it for me.

Yeah, the focus shifts after a few episodes. They use the deliberate annoying qualities in some really surprising ways tbh. Frustrating early on, definitely, but I thought the way it paid it all off was basically worth the effort.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

Yes, absolutely. At least watch episode 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fun Times! posted:

the first episode really could've benefited from being a double length, and introducing the characters one by one before meeting them as a group. meeting them all at once is too overwhelming and just makes everything feel like it's a zany random monkey cheese show when it's meant to have pathos

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The 7th Guest posted:

the first episode really could've benefited from being a double length, and introducing the characters one by one before meeting them as a group. meeting them all at once is too overwhelming and just makes everything feel like it's a zany random monkey cheese show when it's meant to have pathos

To be fair, that feeling perfectly reflects how Horse feels about them, before she gets to know them.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Fun Times! posted:

It's a show that gets better and better with each episode. Unfortunately that means the first episode is the worst.

I recently ran into the same problem as your friend. I gushed and gushed about how great this show is and started rewatching it with him, and realized that my review and recommendations didn't align with episodes 1 & 2 alone. I was speaking with the benefit of knowing the full package, and yet the side characters don't even begin to be fleshed out until ep 3.

Stick with it. Ep 2 in particular has a fantastic sequence.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/Saberspark/status/1437595059709427717

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

dissenting opinion: none of the things you dislike about the show are going to go away or become background elements. yes, the focus does shift away a bit as time goes on, but that's still a major element of the show.

i thought it was fine enough to keep watching and at the end found it to be a decent watch, but if you really didn't like the first episode i couldn't honestly recommend going through a series that you will probably continue to dislike

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the only time i found centaur world to be particularly funny was comfortable doug, who owns

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1438644403652890630

I like when creators post this kind of stuff.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
If we're sharing cool tweets from animators here's one of my favs from Nick Cross who did... something for Tig N' Seek (new season just dropped btw). It's an absolutely massive style guide for the show that the animators use during production:

https://twitter.com/ncrossanimation/status/1353063346841378816?s=20

https://twitter.com/ncrossanimation/status/1353068295189000194?s=20

Somewhat related but Charlie Gavin (a guy who boards Big City Greens) does mini twitter threads on his thoughts about working in the industry which are pretty neat:

https://twitter.com/charliepgavin/status/1424204915212099586?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ninjewtsu posted:

the only time i found centaur world to be particularly funny was comfortable doug, who owns

Are you comfortable?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

working my way through kid cosmic and man the music in this show just completely whips

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the CG He-Man reboot is out and is actually better than I expected (it basically is to He-Man what SPoP was for She-Ra and the writing and characters seem pretty fun).

The main theme is also very….unique (but not too bad though):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=k9RQLTnvIW4

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 17, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I watched a few episodes of Centaurworld, and couldn't really take it. The characters who are purposefully annoying and literally too dumb to live really undercut any attempts at emotional sincerity.

kidcoelacanth posted:

working my way through kid cosmic and man the music in this show just completely whips

I like that there was a really weird song from the 60s in the mix.

There's also the shorts that aren't on Netflix that are a pretty nice exploration of the characters, each with their own musical theme. I think I like Poppa G's most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3mAFVewZgA

I guess also a little extra backstory on Jo.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

Also the CG He-Man reboot is out and is actually better than I expected (it basically is to He-Man what SPoP was for She-Ra and the writing and characters seem pretty fun).

It's okay but honestly pretty forgettable. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to Princesses of Power in my eyes. I'm really unimpressed with the animation - it feels super low budget, a lot of flat textures and empty environments. I'm down with reusing animation sequences for transformations, but doing it for special attacks as well makes the show feel like Final Fantasy (and not in a good way). The theme song is awful, I skip it every time now.

Edit: Also I'm not certain if this was just my audio or what, but there were a few brief moments during the last three episodes where the audio mix seemed weird. Like it was switching between 2.1 and mono audio.

jassa fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 17, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jassa posted:

It's okay but honestly pretty forgettable. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to Princesses of Power in my eyes. I'm really unimpressed with the animation - it feels super low budget, a lot of flat textures and empty environments. I'm down with reusing animation sequences for transformations, but doing it for special attacks as well makes the show feel like Final Fantasy (and not in a good way). The theme song is awful, I skip it every time now.

Edit: Also I'm not certain if this was just my audio or what, but there were a few brief moments during the last three episodes where the audio mix seemed weird. Like it was switching between 2.1 and mono audio.

Fair, “Warriors” was an amazing theme while this one is mediocre at best.

Like I said, I at least liked it enough to check out the next season at any rate (and the fact that everyone gets a transformation as opposed to just Adam and Cringer is kind of neat as well).

I also liked the fact that Adam is still Adam even in He-Man form and despite being a stand-in for the Sorceress, Teela is still fully in-character (Krass and the new Duncan weren’t bad either though the latter for some reason reminds me of Kaz from Star Wars Resistance).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 18, 2021

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

from several pages ago, but...

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty much, Xiaolin Showdown also leans in that direction

Yup, happened because the original character designer died* between seasons and for some idiotic reason they felt that continuing to use his style would be disrespectful

*this is also why the last GI Joe cartoon we got ended up only getting a single season

wait, THAT'S what happened? i thought the original character designer, who worked on kim possible, went back to work on it after it got renewed again? i didn't know he died. poo poo...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not entirely sure why but I feel like I could watch the hell out of The Penguins of Madagascar.

it is unironically my favorite dreamworks IP.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fun Times! posted:

It gets very meta about it, where everything being annoying and stupid is a major focus of the apparent larger plot. Like it'll eventually culminate in some message like 'excessive whimsy is infantilizing and forced happiness can't solve every problem but neither can total grim seriousness" where you are supposed to see the flaw in both sides. So it's a "it's bad on purpose" show. (which can still mean it's bad)

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Also for the first half it builds upon Horse's perspective that the centaurs are terminally dumb and, more importantly, weak.

Then once Horse becomes more like them, their personalities and emotional struggles are fleshed out and they're presented as far more competent (though still very silly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Come And See posted:

Also for the first half it builds upon Horse's perspective that the centaurs are terminally dumb and, more importantly, weak.

Then once Horse becomes more like them, their personalities and emotional struggles are fleshed out and they're presented as far more competent (though still very silly).

Even in that posted example, Horse immediately realises after the song that SHE doesn't know herself, and that she's been totally dependent on Rider the while time.