Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ultrafilter posted:

Did we do Inside the cult of crypto yet? Cause it sure sounds like a religious movement based on some of what's in there.

I'm just glad that there's no crossover between QAnon and Bitcoin yet.

There probably is, you just didn't stare deep enough into the abyss yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

drk posted:

Everything about this is perfect.

Meet Mr. Goxx, the crypto daytrader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5scs_NWTSg

lol remember when a dude had a Saw like death contraption that would kill a hamster if you didn't pay the bitcoin ransom

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Alan Smithee posted:

lol remember when a dude had a Saw like death contraption that would kill a hamster if you didn't pay the bitcoin ransom

The pro play is to set one up that kills a real looking fake hamster when they don’t pay

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/bitcoin-cruise-ship

"We were like, 'This is just so hard.'"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nicole Simpson would be alive today if they bitcoin back then.
It would have stopped Waco too.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

If bitcoin was around in 1775 the evil empire that is america wouldn't have been created. Its a lot to think about, I know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

English street urchin drops bitcoins into the Thames

"Oi! ME BIBBLYBOBBERS!!!"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

See? my point proved lol.

Do some research and you will find out.

That's why I asked a question. Wanted to learn. Don't you know?

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

To say nothing of male partners. :gizz:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

To say nothing of male partners. :gizz:

male partners are always assholes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/PhillipBankss/status/1436774872131293192

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

male partners are always assholes

Buttcoin.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Alan Smithee posted:

English street urchin drops bitcoins into the Thames

"Oi! ME BIBBLYBOBBERS!!!"

Laughed too hard at this. And every time I re-read it.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So apparently some Litecoin holders engineered a pump-and-dump this morning, by having the Litecoin verified Twitter account tweet out a fake press release that they were partnering with Walmart... and several media outlets including CNBC bit on it and reported it without bothering to verify it with Walmart, leading to the following:
https://twitter.com/KyleSGibson/status/1437425697128173579

Meanwhile, Coinbase announces they're trying to raise $1.5 billion in cash by selling bonds in a private offering, rather than a public issuance:
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1437391435142205446

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Blotto_Otter posted:

Meanwhile, Coinbase announces they're trying to raise $1.5 billion in cash by selling bonds in a private offering, rather than a public issuance:
https://twitter.com/markets/status/1437391435142205446

Me: Fungible assets? May I see them?
Coinbase: No.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol it's back

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
what if bitcoin becomes so valuable a single satoshi is worth more than all the money in the world? :thunk:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

That’s a rhetorical question. It can’t be worth more than all the money in the world if it IS all the money in the world.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Juul-Whip posted:

lol it's back

"Investor": Where is my money?
SAFEMOONWALLET: It's in my safe on the MOOOOOOOON!!!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I had an interview with a crypto company the other day and they had a whiteboard problem about given a range of dates and values make an algorithm that would buy the lowest and sell the highest.
After presenting my answer we talked and the interviewer's suggested answer didn't account for if the price tanked, and didn't fully rebound.
These people just assume the number will go up as a fact.

That's my story. Thanks for listening, please donate because I didn't get the job and it was like 3 times my current salary.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

it was like 3 times my current salary.

assuming number go up

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I had an interview with a crypto company the other day and they had a whiteboard problem about given a range of dates and values make an algorithm that would buy the lowest and sell the highest.
After presenting my answer we talked and the interviewer's suggested answer didn't account for if the price tanked, and didn't fully rebound.
These people just assume the number will go up as a fact.

That's my story. Thanks for listening, please donate because I didn't get the job and it was like 3 times my current salary.

Congratulations on failing your interview with those scamming and/or deluded (probably both) assholes, and may you only apply for more spiritually sound positions in future, avoiding the likes of crypto scammers, used car dealers, arms dealers, exploiters of slave labor, and real estate agents.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 15, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

BigBadSteve posted:

Congratulations on failing your interview with those scamming and/or deluded (probably both) assholes, and may you only apply for more spiritually sound positions in future, avoiding the likes of crypto scammers, used car dealers, arms dealers, exploiters of slave labor, and real estate agents.

I'm actually terrified to think of how many professions are predicated on the exploitation of slave and/or child labor. Can't become a grocer, chocolatier, baker, goldsmith, jeweler, coffee/tea distributor, florist... :ohdear:

(im one of the above)

d...does bitcoin fix this..??

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 15, 2021

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I'm actually terrified to think of how many professions are predicated on the exploitation of slave and/or child labor. Can't become a grocer, chocolatier, baker, goldsmith, jeweler, coffee/tea distributor, florist... :ohdear:

d...does bitcoin fix this..??

That's a pretty silly comment, motivated by denial? Or useless and self-defeating moral perfectionism? Or cynicism? Or sociopathy maybe? There are degrees of exploitation. Sure no one is completely innocent, but are you seriously likening the social conscience of a greengrocer to that of an arms dealer, for instance (the poor carrots!)? And, say, a clothing company that makes a concerted effort to not source slave labor-made clothes (and there are some) is no better than one that makes no effort, because the responsible one let one type of socks slip through last year that they shouldn't have? What absolute rubbish! But I guess you have an argument here as strong and logical as, "Oh but, bitcoin is green because some generated energy is green, and non-coiners want to make it more green!"

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

NFTs are now out of control.

I've just found out that there is now an NFT slot machine. With all the graphics that you would expect from the most recent NFTs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDAt3hDjDQM

Nice of them to associate NFTs with actual gambling and giving another source for you to lose all your funds in short order.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

BigBadSteve posted:

That's a pretty silly comment, motivated by denial? Or useless and self-defeating moral perfectionism? Or cynicism? Or sociopathy maybe? There are degrees of exploitation. Sure no one is completely innocent, but are you seriously likening the social conscience of a greengrocer to that of an arms dealer, for instance (the poor carrots!)? And, say, a clothing company that makes a concerted effort to not source slave labor-made clothes (and there are some) is no better than one that makes no effort, because the responsible one let one type of socks slip through last year that they shouldn't have? What absolute rubbish! But I guess you have an argument here as strong and logical as, "Oh but, bitcoin is green because some generated energy is green, and non-coiners want to make it more green!"

oh god that is not at all what i was trying to insinuate and i am very sorry it came off that way

I'm definitely not into crypto in any shape or form. I was just reading about child labor in the mining and extraction of shiny rocks worldwide and the use of what is essentially slavery in the production of things like cut flowers and was in a mood. Like how conflict-free and other such titles are mostly just marketing buzzwords.

But there are lots of small, independent companies who do try to source their products from more ethical sources and I didn't include that in my first post.

And then the bitcoin comment was like, making fun of the person who would say "but bitcoin would fix this!! because the slaves would now have all the money and everything would be wonderful and utopic!!"

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 15, 2021

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Well this is a shocking development...

https://twitter.com/ZuwuTV/status/1437921263394115584

https://www.engadget.com/opensea-nate-chastain-nft-buying-incident-163044364.html

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oh wow a new novel way to scam people with Blockchain.
We regret to inform you the scam had a second scam within.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Do you really need to ask why?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

asking questions you know the answer to is the essence of journalism

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

oh god that is not at all what i was trying to insinuate and i am very sorry it came off that way...

Ah, I'm glad you're not that hosed up then, and you can of course disregard on a personal level about all of what I wrote. Maybe it's what some c0iner had to hear though, who knows.

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh wow a new novel way to scam people with Blockchain.
We regret to inform you the scam had a second scam within.

Coming soon... a scam within a scam within a scam. Followed shortly after by a scam within a scam within a scam within a scam.

This is good for Bitcoin.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 15, 2021

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
lol

https://twitter.com/Frances_Coppola/status/1438036167216205830

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Who scams the scammers?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
the BeneSatoshi have plans within plans, wheels within wheels, scams within scams...

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

TO BE FAIR he is not describing the US dollar, which is trying extremely hard to do this I will say. Keynes promoted something similar after WWII, called the Bancor, which wasn't really a currency but was sort of a central unit of account, or sort of gold-backed clearing-house certificates at a global level. This is a gross-oversimplification, but my point remains that it's not a bad idea it's just that these loving idiots keep reinventing the wheel. And they do it in a way where 6th graders get really excited about it. It really gets to me sometimes that there's this whole discussion of Central Bank Digital Currencies being the future. I don't understand what the dollar is now, in that case. I don't understand how a dollar in my loving bank account is not a central bank digital currency. If the Fed were legally allowed to put money in our bank accounts they' would, but they are legally prohibited from doing this.

The thing that really just makes me shake my head is that ANY use of ~*stablecoins*~, which even if they are partially backed by US denominated debt, are still just the currencies themselves just with a layer whose only explanation is grift. And that by using them you are only expanding the system. These people are so deluded they are taking really great ideas and making them terrible and self serving.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Isn't that the CPI?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It misses the point that economists who run actual economies don't see inflation in moderation as being a bad thing, and it's an idea that flows from a premise assumed incorrectly as being necessary. Like, monetary theory is loving hard, guys, you're not gonna reinvent it in a Twitter thread operated by Dunner-Kruger subjects.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigBadSteve posted:

You're the one who compared working on a crypto company (probably binance?) to arms dealers and slave traffickers and then have the gall to make this self-gratifying, masturbatory comment about a goon trying to get a paycheck and quickly realizing how these people don't realize bubbles can pop instead of infinitely grow.

what a weird dude

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

the scam had a second scam within.

Scamlet! :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kw0134 posted:

It misses the point that economists who run actual economies don't see inflation in moderation as being a bad thing, and it's an idea that flows from a premise assumed incorrectly as being necessary. Like, monetary theory is loving hard, guys, you're not gonna reinvent it in a Twitter thread operated by Dunner-Kruger subjects.

but what if I do re invent it? Also what if I post / stan for Musk so hard that he gives me a real iron man suit and then we light speed fly to Mars?