Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

PiCroft posted:

I’m looking for a good Stardew Valley style game with an emphasis on cooking. For instance, I’ve been keeping my eye on https://store.steampowered.com/app/1647190/World_End_Diner/

I like the idea of automating a food empire, creating meat and veg via automated means to create meals to sell. If anyone has good suggestions I’d love to hear em.

I feel like I can meet each half of this recommendation but not them put together. Plenty of nice automation games, plenty of nice cooking games, no games that come to mind, for me, that have you automating food preparation. Maybe there is one though!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

is automachef good because that from the title is literally both

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Automachef is a puzzle game about placing of tiles, sadly.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Play posted:

I feel like I can meet each half of this recommendation but not them put together. Plenty of nice automation games, plenty of nice cooking games, no games that come to mind, for me, that have you automating food preparation. Maybe there is one though!

Other than modded minecraft, the closest I've seen so far is Nom Nom Galaxy which is sort of like what I'm looking for but it's also much more of a puzzle-ey game like Automachef, another game I have and yeah its much more of a puzzle game using logic than "cooking sim" sort of dealio.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I enjoy theory crafting things, but I think I like imagining Path of Exile builds more than I like playing the game.

Anything else out there where I can idly be playing the game in my head? That's the kind of stuff that gets its hooks in me real good.

I have a Switch and a Series S.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Oenis posted:

What are some good games to play with your partner? We already played It Takes Two and loved it.

There's a lot of caveats which make finding a game for her pretty challenging. She is not really a gamer beyond hundreds of hours in Sims 4 and Animal Crossing, and the boss battles and some of the platforming in ITT already pushed her limits of what she can achieve with a controller. Still, she has expressed a desire to play another game with me. However, she gets motion sickness very easily from first person games and having to manually control the camera in 3rd person games.

Overcooked 2 and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime were too stressful for her to enjoy. She doesn't enjoy losing and/or even feeling inadequate.

With that in mind, is A Way Out from the ITT team any good? How is that difficulty-wise?

Ideally I think she'd like something chill and/or cute, maybe with a bit of base building thrown in. I already suggested Stardew Valley but on top of everything else, she's allergic to pixel art and couldn't get into it. I don't think she'd be into minecraft either.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is on a lot of lists (and on sale right now). I played the first one ages ago and really liked the tactical combat, but I found the story bad to the point of embarrassing. How's the second one in that regard?

If you have any other ideas, please let me know, thanks!
We have all platforms covered between switch, ps4 and pc.

Maybe Haven? It’s essentially a romance, so be aware of how you would feel playing one with your wife. We enjoyed it.

So far the gameplay consists mostly of moving over stuff on the ground to pick it up and very easy fights that are almost impossible to lose.

One of the first games I played with my wife was Borderlands. Playing with the difficulty turned way down might not be too stressful, but a bad choice if she doesn’t like action movies. Actually Diablo3 is pretty easy to outgear and a very smooth experience so that may be a better start.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

PiCroft posted:

I’m looking for a good Stardew Valley style game with an emphasis on cooking. For instance, I’ve been keeping my eye on https://store.steampowered.com/app/1647190/World_End_Diner/

I like the idea of automating a food empire, creating meat and veg via automated means to create meals to sell. If anyone has good suggestions I’d love to hear em.

Factory town? It’s not just food, but it has sandwich and juice recipes that you can automate. It’s a logistics game/city builder so you also need to collect wood, brick and other building materials to build your kitchens and customer houses, etc.

I guess, technically you could do that with Rimworld, medieval, or other DF-likes.

There’s several Harvest Moon games on steam now if you are looking for a more Stardew Valley experience, but they usually don’t have much automation.

Factorio and pretend you’re making food instead of spaceship parts?

You may find this free online “game” entertaining: http://www2.open.ac.uk/openlearn/supply-chain/index.html

There are several automation games and tons of cooking/production games, but not a lot of both. Would you be interested in Restaurant management games? Those are kind of like automating food production.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

External Organs posted:

I enjoy theory crafting things, but I think I like imagining Path of Exile builds more than I like playing the game.

Anything else out there where I can idly be playing the game in my head? That's the kind of stuff that gets its hooks in me real good.

I want a looter game that plays itself, and I just check in every once in a while and work on my build. I love the building, hate the grind.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

LLSix posted:

Factory town? It’s not just food, but it has sandwich and juice recipes that you can automate. It’s a logistics game/city builder so you also need to collect wood, brick and other building materials to build your kitchens and customer houses, etc.

I guess, technically you could do that with Rimworld, medieval, or other DF-likes.

There’s several Harvest Moon games on steam now if you are looking for a more Stardew Valley experience, but they usually don’t have much automation.

Factorio and pretend you’re making food instead of spaceship parts?

You may find this free online “game” entertaining: http://www2.open.ac.uk/openlearn/supply-chain/index.html

There are several automation games and tons of cooking/production games, but not a lot of both. Would you be interested in Restaurant management games? Those are kind of like automating food production.

I appreciate these suggestions but I have almost all of these games :shobon:

Maybe this sounds weird, but the mechanisms for transporting the “product” and how it’s processed is important. Like, I don’t know if you’ve played modded minecraft but mine factory reloaded allows you to auto-breed, auto-slaughter animals which produces products that you can then pipe into factories that produce meat products. I think it’s because I am fascinated by the Abes Oddysee Rupture Farms setting, a horrifyingly dystopian capitalist take on industrial meat production.

Stardew Valley is also good, but it it’s less focused on the automation side of things. It doesn’t need to be horrifyingly cruel like Oddworld but that facet of building an automated way of taking the raw products, processing them and turning them into sellable products en masse is appealing in a way I can’t describe. It’s why, despite me not liking the game in general, I still play Nom Nom galaxy. The way you produce soups involves harvesting and later producing the raw ingredients through growing or ranching, creating conveyers or using bots to move ingredients and finally combining them into delicious soup concoctions.

I’m resigned to the fact my particular tastes are not served (lol) at this time, I’m just curious if there’s good examples of food manufacturing games out there that scratch that admittedly very specific itch hah.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

External Organs posted:

Rift Wizard!!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I'm almost done with Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I've finished the main story and just getting the rest of the cultists, so I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I enjoyed it! I hadn't played an AC since 2 and some of Brotherhood/Revelations. It seemed like they had learned from games like Arkham and Shadow of Mordor how to make the combat better, I thought the story was good enough to keep me going for all those hours, and I liked the finding clues and hunting for cultists thing a bunch.

Where should I get more modern AC? Should I do the Odyssey DLCs (I know about the story problem with one of them, but I'm okay with it now that that's (edit: supposedly) fixed) or Origins or Valhalla? Go back to 4? I'm inclined against Valhalla since I like parkouring around famous historical buildings and I've heard Valhalla's England is less cool than the other AC's environments, but maybe that's just something I heard and not actually true.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 7, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

gohuskies posted:

I'm almost done with Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I've finished the main story and just getting the rest of the cultists, so I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I enjoyed it! I hadn't played an AC since 2 and some of Brotherhood/Revelations. It seemed like they had learned from games like Arkham and Shadow of Mordor how to make the combat better, I thought the story was good enough to keep me going, and I liked the finding clues and hunting for cultists thing a bunch.

Where should I get more modern AC? Should I do the Odyssey DLCs (I know about the story problem with one of them, but I'm okay with it now that that's fixed) or Origins or Valhalla? Go back to 4? I'm inclined against Valhalla since I like parkouring around famous historical buildings and Valhalla's England is supposedly less cool than the other AC's environments, but maybe that's just something I heard and not actually true.

the Fate of Atlantis DLC is probably the best content in the game. The First Blade has an awful story which is absolutely not fixed, but adds a bunch more cultists to hunt, like you I really loved that part of the game and while the DLC stuff isn't as good (you meet most of them as part of the main quest) it still scratches a similar itch. It's all worth playing imo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it depends what world you'd find more interesting to run around in. Jungles and deserts with mirages, or foggy scandinavia. I think they all have a similar playstyle. There's even a similar amount of boats from all the rivers and waterways literally criss-crossing Egypt.

I'd recommend going to Origins just because you can probably get it cheaper. Bayek has an okay story.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bayek has an okay story.

And a dazzling smile.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I just picked up a Vita for some reason. What are the good games? The real must-haves and also maybe some that flew under the radar.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

gohuskies posted:

I'm almost done with Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I've finished the main story and just getting the rest of the cultists, so I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I enjoyed it! I hadn't played an AC since 2 and some of Brotherhood/Revelations. It seemed like they had learned from games like Arkham and Shadow of Mordor how to make the combat better, I thought the story was good enough to keep me going for all those hours, and I liked the finding clues and hunting for cultists thing a bunch.

Where should I get more modern AC? Should I do the Odyssey DLCs (I know about the story problem with one of them, but I'm okay with it now that that's (edit: supposedly) fixed) or Origins or Valhalla? Go back to 4? I'm inclined against Valhalla since I like parkouring around famous historical buildings and I've heard Valhalla's England is less cool than the other AC's environments, but maybe that's just something I heard and not actually true.

The First Blade DLC is very much more of the same, story stuff aside. If you literally just wish Odyssey was a bit longer then it's fine. The Atlantis DLC is a good shout if you like Greek Mythology, your current player character, and can tolerate the Isu bullshit. It leans really far into the magical mythology stuff, so there's some weird new architecture and enemy variety and stuff to get into.

If you want famous historical buildings, Origins is pretty great. You've got the obvious pyramids and the Sphinx, and also a metric tonne of rad temples, but doesn't do much with the clues/cultists side of things - it's all in the main story rather than being a cool side activity you follow yourself. Bayek is cool and it's a gorgeous looking game as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

gohuskies posted:

Based on what you liked about Odyssey I'd absolutely say go backwards and play Origins instead going forwards and playing Valhalla. Origins is good, it has great buildings and scenery and a solid story. I never made it all the way through but I do know I liked it better than Valhalla.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Of the three most recent AC games I think Valhalla is the weakest by far, combining Origins' lack of interesting RPG progression with Odyssey's overlong and meandering storyline while lacking the strengths of an efficient plot or memorable characters to carry you through. Stacking rocks and playing Orlog is cool though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I recently had to stop playing Origins because a main story line kill would send me to the desktop.
Killing Gennedios and when the Animus opens, CTD.
Their tech support would just tell me over and over that it was either my drivers or direct x or background services or some poo poo.
Even though any other kill before and one I did after I got that crash all went smoothly.

After the troubles I had with Odyssey crashing whenever the autosave would go off in a non saving area, this just killed any Ubisoft game for me.

Absolutely loved the game and imagery, big fan of ancient egypt.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Between Odyssey and Origins, I actually finished Origins my first playthrough, but burnt out twice halfway through Odyssey's cultist hunt fest. Both are excellent modern AssCreed games, but something about the combination of Origin's plot and characters carried me through.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got hooked on Odyssey after a free weekend, but at some point in Sparta, something really put me off it. Something about glorifying Spartan brutality and slavery I think. Origins had a couple weaker points, but never put me off that badly, and it was pretty amazing just going from place to place even without quests driving me forward. There's pretty big chunks of the map that the story will never point you towards, and while Odyssey keeps you busy at sea with a bunch of boats to deal with, in Origins there will be weird mirages cropping up.

I'll get back to Odyssey at some point, because I feel I'm doomed to play all of the Assassins' Creeds at some point, but there's nothing particularly drawing me back. I've also got Syndicate half-played through to get back to at some point. Unity I'm not sure I'll ever play because I've never seen it go on sale, I think they're ashamed of it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Manager Hoyden posted:

I just picked up a Vita for some reason. What are the good games? The real must-haves and also maybe some that flew under the radar.

Persona 4: Golden and Gravity Rush

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

most of these are available on PC or PS4 but:

Persona 4 Golden
Gravity Rush
Killzone Mercenary
Tearaway
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Velocity Ultra
Velocity2x
Severed

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 12, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hwurmp posted:

Velocity Ultra

This is an extremely good game.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I've just finished the 2017 Prey game. I loved it quite a bit.

Are there any other sci-fi games with the same sort of atmosphere? I love the space stuff.

It doesn't need to be an immersive sim either.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

de_dust posted:

Are there any other sci-fi games with the same sort of atmosphere? I love the space stuff.

Prey is practically a remake of System Shock 2, and it's also somewhat structurally similar to, and developed by the same team as, the Dishonored series. The latter isn't sci-fi but it's a world where a lot of "magic" has a distinctly scientific aesthetic to it. Like you've got clockwork robots and alchemists and cities fueled by whale oil.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

de_dust posted:

Alien: Isolation

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's sort of a pseudo-genre of games called "0451" that share a lot of themes and gameplay aspects, and they use the "0451" easter egg as a sort of reference to their game dev heritage going back to Thief, Deus Ex, and System Shock. Prey is the latest one. Other good examples that are easy to get into now are Dishonored and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Some games that are stylistically similar to Prey but outside of the pseudo-genre are The Bureau: XCOM Declassified and Control.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hwurmp posted:

Alien: Isolation

loving owns.

There's a fan mod to give it basic VR support on PC, and it's way too loving spooky :gonk:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's sort of a pseudo-genre of games called "0451" that share a lot of themes and gameplay aspects, and they use the "0451" easter egg as a sort of reference to their game dev heritage going back to Thief, Deus Ex, and System Shock. Prey is the latest one. Other good examples that are easy to get into now are Dishonored and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Some people call these "immersive sims".

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm looking for a mystery or puzzle game to play with my gf. We really enjoyed Tangle Tower and Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment on the whodunnit end and Machinarium on the point and click puzzle game end. We bounced off of Monkey Island for the humor being a little corny and grating. Between us we have a Switch, a high-end PC, and Apple/Android tablets. Any recommendations? I might see if Neverhood is available on GOG or just straight-up abandonware, now.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Baba is you

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for a mystery or puzzle game to play with my gf. We really enjoyed Tangle Tower and Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishment on the whodunnit end and Machinarium on the point and click puzzle game end. We bounced off of Monkey Island for the humor being a little corny and grating. Between us we have a Switch, a high-end PC, and Apple/Android tablets. Any recommendations? I might see if Neverhood is available on GOG or just straight-up abandonware, now.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/the-neverhood-451

e: not sure if that site is legit or not, just decided I should check

Oh thats the url listed under googles sidebar for Neverhood, so should be fine

best soundtrack ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGk1bQ9rcU

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 12, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Riatsala posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Riatsala posted:

Contradiction: Spot The Liar! is a FMV who-dunnit game that really revels in the absurdity of making a FMV game in 2015. Everyone acting is clearly having a blast with the full knowledge that what they are doing is dumb, while still keeping plausible deniability up.

^ Obra Dinn is one of the best adventure games ever made.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StoryTime posted:

^ Obra Dinn is one of the best adventure games ever made.

This is 100% true, but you also might want to check out Paradise Killer

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Riatsala posted:

If you can tolerate occasionally having to shoot monsters in fairly unsatisfying combat sequences, The Sinking City shares a few earmarks with the Sherlock Holmes games, insofar as the clue-finding and deduction (with nearly the same mind-palacey type screens and everything). It feels a lot more repetitive and samey than Sherlock, though, as most of what you wind up doing is figuring out where to put the next waypoint on your map, so this is somewhat of a grudging recommendation.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been playing a lot of Heat Signature and Cryptark lately, both are great games, and now I'm really feeling like playing more games based around the idea of infiltrating randomly generated compounds full of complex interlocking systems.
Anyone can recommend anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Infiltrating compounds however you want is basically immersive sim territory, and unfortunately there aren't many with procedural generation. Prey: Mooncrash comes closes I would think. Great game.

Caves of Qud is an awesome roguelike with tons of worldbuilding, if you haven't played that. Fun to explore in that world.

Unexplored is a real time roguelike built around pretty involved dungeon ecologies, completely procedurally generated. Unexplored 2 (early acces now on the epic store) takes it a step further and creates an entire world instead of a single dungeon, with very interesting mechanics imo. Also looks loving great.

XCOM 2 or XCOM: Chimera Squad might also tickle that itch. MGS V: The Phantom Pain is not procedural per se, but the gear of enemies during free roam does change a bunch, and it makes a difference. You also have a shitton of freedom to assault enemy camps however you like.

And oh, Hitman (the new trilogy) is more of a clockwork playground but I think it's the best compound infiltration game ever made and it'll take literal months of playtime to see everything it has to offer, I'd reckon you'll be bored of the game before you run out of actual content. Also tons of toys and ways to play, just like MGS V.