Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

smug jeebus posted:

Interesting, some throwaway account posted on Reddit yesterday that a fired dev deleted or sabotaged the software. It was (justifiably, I'd say) ignored, but maybe it was legit after all?

Do you have a link to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Podima posted:

Do you have a link to this?

https://www.removeddit.com/r/KeyforgeGame/comments/pkuh5h/game_is_dead_seriously/

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

That link isn't working for me.

On the one hand, wouldn't they have some sort of version control like Git or TFS or something? Was it a trained AI with no backup so it will take months to retrain? If this is a bottleneck for your entire game, wouldn't someone want to take it home on a backup 3.5 floppy disk or something? Georeplication maybe? The cloud? Like, how does this happen with a large company?

On the other hand, all of that is still way more plausible than "the algo broke, gee wilikers."

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Wow, that Keyforge stuff is wild. I wonder if whoever left was getting screwed over by new Asmodee management?

Magnetic North posted:

On the one hand, wouldn't they have some sort of version control like Git or TFS or something? Was it a trained AI with no backup so it will take months to retrain? If this is a bottleneck for your entire game, wouldn't someone want to take it home on a backup 3.5 floppy disk or something? Georeplication maybe? The cloud? Like, how does this happen with a large company?

Git and other version control systems aren't absolute or impervious to malicious intent. A dedicated dev (especially one managing the project) could easily wipe everything. They'd know where backups are and could ensure total data destruction.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Magnetic North posted:

Like, how does this happen with a large company?

:laffo:

IT horror stories know no bounds or borders, and "large" companies can be hilari-orribly out of touch when it comes to things any normal person would consider a common sense level of safeguards.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Codeacious posted:

Git and other version control systems aren't absolute or impervious to malicious intent. A dedicated dev (especially one managing the project) could easily wipe everything. They'd know where backups are and could ensure total data destruction.

I now realize that I have admin rights on all our repos. :sweatdrop:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Codeacious posted:

Wow, that Keyforge stuff is wild. I wonder if whoever left was getting screwed over by new Asmodee management?

I wonder if the sun will rise in the east tomorrow

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Magnetic North posted:

how does this happen with a large company?

I worked for a massive, multinational retailer that had a single admin account for the website, with an extremely simple password that was shared by dozens of employees.

In the admin interface there was a screen that let you run any raw SQL against the database, with no filtering or sanity checking.

In my first week I wrote code to fix all of this, because it's insanely stupid and dangerous, but it never got released in the two years I was there because upper management deemed it too risky to make changes like that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My best mates brother used to build dead man switches into a lot of his code, so if he was ever fired they would have to get him back and pay him to fix it.

I've also had a client whose admins dropped live databases on the way out the door and encrypted the backups.

IT is fun

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 11, 2021

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Infinitum posted:

My best mates brother used to build dead man switches into a lot of his code, so if he was ever fired they would have to get him back and pay him to fix it.

I'm assuming he was the only dev? I can't imagine how incompetent a team would have to be to not spot this.

Anyway, board games.

I was just gifted a copy of Great Western Trail (I guess 1st ed, I think there's a 2nd on the way?). I haven't read the rules yet but I've heard it's a great game. Any weird things I should know about going in?

Also if I enjoy Chaos in the Old World (probably my favourite game), is Root recommended? I love the asymmetrical play in CitOW because it always feels balanced and in all my playthroughs people have regularly won with all the different factions.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friend and I met up for the first time in two years, and the first thing we did after he taught me Hive was to bust out our Keyforge decks. The game is so good. It'd make the perfect mobile game.

"The algorithm is busted" is such a bad excuse, it makes the sabotage much more believable.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LifeLynx posted:

My friend and I met up for the first time in two years, and the first thing we did after he taught me Hive was to bust out our Keyforge decks. The game is so good. It'd make the perfect mobile game.

"The algorithm is busted" is such a bad excuse, it makes the sabotage much more believable.

The original reddit post said there was going to be an article explaining it within a day, and that article did come out. That is a good indication that it was right and it was sabotage of some sort.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Quote-Unquote posted:

Also if I enjoy Chaos in the Old World (probably my favourite game), is Root recommended? I love the asymmetrical play in CitOW because it always feels balanced and in all my playthroughs people have regularly won with all the different factions.

CitOW is also one of my favorite games. Root is nice but doesn't really feel the same I think.
I agree with an above poster. I love Pax Pamir 2 so much that I'm kinda disappointed in the other Cole's games I've played. I just hate the vagabond so much.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Finally got my copy of Black Sonata (plus the Fair Youth) that I ordered in June. It seems, while hardly heavy or even medium, a fraction more complicated than I had anticipated - maybe my brain's just tired today and I can't be arsed. Think I might just set it up later and dive right in, see how it goes, as it's mainly the hand management that seems fiddly from the instructions, and I'm sure it will be a lot more simple in practice.

Will probably skip the expansion at first, unless a few people tell me it's like the Norwegians or something and it's a no-brainer to include it from the beginning. Looking forward to some fun with this, anyway! The idea of a short, relatively light solo game I can knock off in 20-30 mins of a tired evening is pretty appealing.

I also have Maquis 2nd edition on order, whenever that ends up seeing the light of day (not too long now I believe).

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 11, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Quote-Unquote posted:

Anyway, board games.

I was just gifted a copy of Great Western Trail (I guess 1st ed, I think there's a 2nd on the way?). I haven't read the rules yet but I've heard it's a great game. Any weird things I should know about going in?

No, you should be okay. There's some opinion that the game has some issues on the delivery track (to do with the spacing and placement of things late in the game), but I don't think it's severe or will worry you in your first game. BTW, the expansion fixes it as apparently does the 2nd edition, but it's more a question of tuning the game than fixing a previous fault.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Loddfafnir posted:

CitOW is also one of my favorite games. Root is nice but doesn't really feel the same I think.
I agree with an above poster. I love Pax Pamir 2 so much that I'm kinda disappointed in the other Cole's games I've played. I just hate the vagabond so much.

Yeah, I’m also in the same camp with Pamir setting an unrealistically high expectations of Cole. With the vagabond, the gulf between what they were designed to be (an underpowered mercenary reliant on alliances with the big factions to survive) and the reality (a doomsday clock which has to be continually managed by the other players) is both funny and frustrating. Oath has not really clicked with my group either - we enjoyed our experiences with it but nobody seems to be left with much need to keep playing it.

We have had a really good time play testing John Company 2e, but this was largely based on somebody always finding a way to destroy the company in new and creative ways. I’ll be interested to go back and play the final version of that. It looks like a tough balancing act to pull off but could end up being fantastic. When we played there seemed to be too many easy ways for individual players to just take a wrecking ball to everything and profit from it. Then if you remove all the loopholes and big swings it would stop being the lovable simulation of a bunch of failsons wrecking a subcontinent for fun and profit and become just another economic game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nonathlon posted:

No, you should be okay. There's some opinion that the game has some issues on the delivery track (to do with the spacing and placement of things late in the game), but I don't think it's severe or will worry you in your first game. BTW, the expansion fixes it as apparently does the 2nd edition, but it's more a question of tuning the game than fixing a previous fault.

This video does a good job of explaining the differences between versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNiiNjOmdI

Gencon is next week, so theoretically we'll see the retailer release soon?

Looking forward to trying out Solo mode.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I also have Maquis 2nd edition on order, whenever that ends up seeing the light of day (not too long now I believe).

I think the next update is due soonish and they were finishing production last time. I would expect it October - November-ish.
Really looking forward to it, as it looks like a really lovely small tight production.

I've got Quest finally arriving this week, Radlands by the end of the month.
Cartographers Heroes arrived last week and is great - all the new maps are fantastic. Collectors edition is sexy AF

Merchants of the Dark Road & Dead Reckoning are my only remaining BIG games for the year, and I reckon we'll see that around the same Oct-Nov mark (Cause :lol: shipping)
REALLY looking forward to getting them to the table, as I went all in on both.

Thinking I'm really tapped out on the KS front for a bit. Only other game I really want to grab this year is the newer version of Castles of Burgundy just to round out my collection a bit.
Just been waiting for it to go on sale.

Sydney ~theoretically~ reopens next month from lockdown, so I've got a massive backlog glut of games for my players.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
It definitely seems to hew closer to the kind of design you see in e.g. the Vast games, where you have a lesser number of pieces juggling their own token/card based minigames. It specifically resembles the "fifth wheel" characters like the Rogue and Warlock from those games, where instead of the rock/paper/scissors aspect of "three characters trying to kill each other and one trying to prolong the game as long as possible", it's just "another character kinda doing their own thing and everyone shares the responsibility of going and beating it up once in a while".

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DashingGentleman posted:

Yeah, I’m also in the same camp with Pamir setting an unrealistically high expectations of Cole. With the vagabond, the gulf between what they were designed to be (an underpowered mercenary reliant on alliances with the big factions to survive) and the reality (a doomsday clock which has to be continually managed by the other players) is both funny and frustrating. Oath has not really clicked with my group either - we enjoyed our experiences with it but nobody seems to be left with much need to keep playing it.

I think it's mentioned somewhere that the Vagabond was not Coles idea really.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Aramoro posted:

I think it's mentioned somewhere that the Vagabond was not Coles idea really.

Yeah I believe it was Patrick Leder's idea. In my opinion, even though I don't think the Vagabond is as mechanically interesting as basically anything else, I think that the idea that one faction is just one crazy guy was huge in getting the game to gain mindshare. The art and setting was probably top on the list, and the mechanics next, but the power of that final curveball in the game pitch cannot be understated. It's like how in Vast "Someone played the cave!" and everyone got hyped over the strangeness.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Codeacious posted:

Could also just be be neglect and passive disappearance - one of the great things about the move to cloud infrastructure is that it's easy for entire swathes of infrastructure to disappear when people leave particularly if it's not managed centrally by an organisation or if an org is not centred on a particular project. AWS sends 'we are deleting your stuff because your corp credit card was cancelled' to the contact of a dev who was fired and their card was cancelled for a service that doesn't happen to be used or checked on for three months because people are working on something else, devs come back to do the new Keyforge expansion, and kapow everything's gone.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah I believe it was Patrick Leder's idea. In my opinion, even though I don't think the Vagabond is as mechanically interesting as basically anything else, I think that the idea that one faction is just one crazy guy was huge in getting the game to gain mindshare. The art and setting was probably top on the list, and the mechanics next, but the power of that final curveball in the game pitch cannot be understated. It's like how in Vast "Someone played the cave!" and everyone got hyped over the strangeness.

Agreed on both points. I think Vast was ultimately a failure of a design, but still an interesting failure and I'm glad it led to more asymmetrical games. (I bought it when it came out and don't really even regret it) The Vagabond is a cool idea with flawed execution, but if having the vagabond is the hook to get people to experience the way more interesting factions like the Riverfolk and Lizards, then it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Infinitum posted:

This video does a good job of explaining the differences between versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNiiNjOmdI

Ah, thanks. Great Western Trail was a bit of a surprise to me because it's superficially the sorry of game I dislike - lots of moving parts, a pile of cardboard and cards, you score points for this and this and this and ... but it makes it work, I think because the individual turns are short, the delivery runs are shortish and even if you're not winning, you're building an interesting engine.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyYexTcyY2A

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Is there a way to play Great Western Trail online? More like BGA than Tabletop Simulator.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Carillon posted:

Is there a way to play Great Western Trail online? More like BGA than Tabletop Simulator.

I think there is a version that is being developed by BGA.

Also, this https://boardgamefiesta.com/

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
A friend might be interested in playing Oath. As I've not played it but really want to, can someone come up with an elevator pitch style description? Thanks.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

A friend might be interested in playing Oath. As I've not played it but really want to, can someone come up with an elevator pitch style description? Thanks.

The interaction between dudes on the map, public/private tableau building, multiple victory triggers and a closed economy yield interaction on multiple levels.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Mayveena posted:

The fall of the roman empire, but you're weird cute little gremlin people. Also, after rome falls, you play the next game to play out the collapse of the byzantines based on the board state saved from the last game - and then their successors, etc, etc.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 13, 2021

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wish Mombasa's theme wasn't so gross because it's far and away my favorite game of his.

e: huh he apparently he might do a retheme: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2591022/pfister-hinting-retheme/page/1

It really is a very interesting game mechanically, one of the few big bulky modern Euros I could come back to.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Heroquest is shipping next month, which is pretty cool.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Has anyone tried out Capstone's Corrosion? I'm curious but am a little frustrated by how little preview material they release during their preorders.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Memnaelar posted:

Has anyone tried out Capstone's Corrosion? I'm curious but am a little frustrated by how little preview material they release during their preorders.

You can play for free on Tabletopia. The game won't release until Essen. And that release is only for EU. Capstone is the US distributor.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Memnaelar posted:

Only read the rules a few times but it seems interesting with the "temporary engine" mechanic.

Looking forward to it.

Gonna get my copy at Essen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

Only read the rules a few times but it seems interesting with the "temporary engine" mechanic.

Looking forward to it.

Gonna get my copy at Essen.

I wouldn't bank on it. Germany's cases are on the up again, and the new government that comes in a couple of weeks before the fair may feel they are more able to institute a new lockdown once they don't have to worry about it being popular. I'm skipping the Gamer Hajj this year for that reason, much as I'd love to go.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't bank on it. Germany's cases are on the up again, and the new government that comes in a couple of weeks before the fair may feel they are more able to institute a new lockdown once they don't have to worry about it being popular. I'm skipping the Gamer Hajj this year for that reason, much as I'd love to go.

Got my ticket already (just in case).

Yeah, we will see about it but I don't think there will be a new lockdown 3 weeks after the Election and right in middle of the autumn vacation.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

Same. €20 a day for tickets, there and back on a plane, and then 4 days of constant masking doesn't sound like my idea of safe or fun. Their safety concept is as good as it'll get assuming they'll actually stick with it, but I'm convinced this is still going to turn into a superspreader event.

Miraculously the airline refunded me the "no refund" tickets I bought in 2019 for 2020 and re-booked for 2021 in 2020 in full.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I will stay cautiously optimistic but I only live like an hour away from Essen and I will only be there on Thursday.

Public transportation and the full halls on the weekend would keep me away as well. I think Thursday will be the day with the fewest visitors and I'm not sure how many tickets they are selling for that day.

I just want the 3 games I'm really looking forward to :(

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

They are placing it during school holidays to offload the capacity a little, but yeah, Sat/Sun have remained the busiest days.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go too but I feel it would be immensely irresponsible and stupid of me. We're usually 5 or 6 people to go and all agree on that, too, as it turns out.

I might think differently if I could drive for an hour, dip in, get games, and flee - but I've also not really seen anything that interests me in the slightest in the previews :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gschmidl posted:

They are placing it during school holidays to offload the capacity a little, but yeah, Sat/Sun have remained the busiest days.

Spiel is always held during the school holidays. Is that what you meant?