Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

A lot of television doesn't have any censorship beyond what's self-imposed. So I dunno if your argument tracks.

I mean you know what I mean, they have no one telling them no and so they're demonstrating/ celebrating that by deliberately adding curses past the point where the dialogue feels natural. Like, if you like it that's fine, more power to you, but I think it detracts from the humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't doubt that Rick and Morty is still doing funny things or making impressive sequences, but after seeing most of their shtick in the first two seasons, it just seems like it'd be really depressing to keep watching. There's only so much bleakness I really want to maintain in my life.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm going to be honest, I'm kind of sick of the "WOAH look at us throw away plot points!!!" episodes of Rick and Morty.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Season 5 of R&M had some really weak and unfunny one off episodes but the finale felt more like the old show. It’s either less funny and hard hitting than it used to be or my emotions have been really blunted by pandemic or I’ve just gotten inured to the show because it’s more of a “ah yeah, that was entertaining, and there was good production value, nice job all around” feeling I get from watching it as opposed to laughing or feeling anything in particular.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The animated Witcher movie on Netflix is awesome, if you enjoy fantasy action I think it’s a really good watch. It’s essentially a prequel to the games, explaining the backstory to Geralt’s teacher Vessemir, and how exactly the Witcher’s Keep was destroyed and the Witchers disbanded

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h58nRdxiVRU

Ccs posted:

Season 5 of R&M had some really weak and unfunny one off episodes but the finale felt more like the old show. It’s either less funny and hard hitting than it used to be or my emotions have been really blunted by pandemic or I’ve just gotten inured to the show because it’s more of a “ah yeah, that was entertaining, and there was good production value, nice job all around” feeling I get from watching it as opposed to laughing or feeling anything in particular.
Even the finale spent a good chunk of the episode on an unfunny anime parody

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Final Space is dead due to the upcoming TBS merger with Time Warner

https://youtu.be/bFg3ljZF2kA

Kind of nice the creator can be so frank about it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well it is convenient then that the season finale ended in such a way that it also works as an incredibly dark series finale too

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Yeah, it's an ending that leaves it open for more, but is also just a real good "whelp everything is hosed."

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

drat...Olan signing that video off with the line that Gary's dad said when he dies is a punch in the gut.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there some legal issue that prevents him from just Kickstarting another season down the road? Crowdsourcing your content has been a thing for at least 10 years at this point.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU…

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there some legal issue that prevents him from just Kickstarting another season down the road? Crowdsourcing your content has been a thing for at least 10 years at this point.

He makes it sound like they're not sure how the rights will shake out currently.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mokinokaro posted:

That's odd I could have sworn TBS was already part of Time-Warner due to them buying Ted Turner's companies back in the 90's

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drrockso20 posted:

That's odd I could have sworn TBS was already part of Time-Warner due to them buying Ted Turner's companies back in the 90's

Exactly what I was going to say, I could have sworn that whole deal was where Cartoon Network came from in the first place

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Exactly what I was going to say, I could have sworn that whole deal was where Cartoon Network came from in the first place

Well actually Cartoon Network had already been around for a couple years by the point the Turner buyout happened, I imagine the fact that Turner owned the largest animation library on the planet(including most of the cartoons Warner themselves had made back in the Golden Age of Animation thanks to a very complicated history of rights being sold and bought) was a bigger part of the equation than anyone at Time-Warner at the time would have liked to admit

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Didn't see this coming, but I'm happy nonetheless.

https://twitter.com/BobsBurgersFOX/status/1436437262988976133?s=19

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Animated Series Based On Robert C. O’Brien’s ‘NIMH’ In Works At Fox As Network Steps Up Adult Cartoon Drive

Apparently Fox is also trying to go beyond animated comedies about families and is "looking for a broader swathe of animated series such as mysteries, romantic comedies, adventure series and workplace comedies. "

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

The animation gods giveth and the animation gods taketh away.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
South Park was an exciting departure from Small Screen to Silver Screen because it was a musical and because they could really swear. They worked overtime to make it feel like a feature film and not like a very large episode of the show. Any other big animated series I can think has totally failed in this regard, and I’m sure Bob’s Burgers will not be the ones to break the cycle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beavis & Butt-head

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Data Graham posted:

Beavis & Butt-head

Ok yeah I stand corrected B&B Do America whips rear end

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

South Park was an exciting departure from Small Screen to Silver Screen because it was a musical and because they could really swear. They worked overtime to make it feel like a feature film and not like a very large episode of the show. Any other big animated series I can think has totally failed in this regard, and I’m sure Bob’s Burgers will not be the ones to break the cycle.

I'm thinking about what other shows could break the cycle now and ironically at this point Family Guy has done so many big hour-long/multipart episodes that even a huge production would end up feeling like a very large episode of the show.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I feel like aside from the South Park movie, every show that gets a feature film only gets one once interest in the show has started to wane.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's been in development for years but yeah nice to see it finally announced

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

drrockso20 posted:

It's been in development for years but yeah nice to see it finally announced

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I feel like aside from the South Park movie, every show that gets a feature film only gets one once interest in the show has started to wane.

These two things are related.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Bust Rodd posted:

The Transformers: The Movie is a gem of civilization.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The problem with making a TV show into a theatrical movie is that you've got a much bigger budget that you need to make use of, and you need some kind of big plot or grand escalation of concept to justify or make use of the higher production values. Making the show into a finale is a good way to do that, although a number of times something was supposed to be a finale, but either the show ends too soon or the show doesn't end. Another method is to make the movie way different from the normal show to really show off all the show's aspects by putting them against new contexts.

I actually watched the Simpsons movie recently, and it doesn't seem great, just a longer episode of the Simpsons that doesn't particularly do much new or different. Weirdly it has a similar basic premise as the Recess movie, but with Recess, suddenly fighting a federal bureaucrat gone rogue was a massive escalation of stakes, but with the Simpsons it was just a wednesday. Also Recess managed to fit in more character arcs and some kind of broader exploration of the rest of the show by having the teachers and kids team up for once.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Speaking of that movie, what’s the deal with them just having Bart’s hog hanging out for one goof? That seemed wildly out of place.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd guess that it was meant to be the thing to ratchet up the movie's rating. It's a funny twist on the classic gag of contrived ways to cover up privates, but yeah, weird thing to do just because they could.

Wikipedia posted:

The scene of a naked Bart on his skateboard was Groening's idea, who had always wanted to have Bart skateboarding naked, and Scully had the idea of showing Bart's penis for two seconds.

Which doesn't make it less weird. I guess that's a way to step up from Bart's normal causing chaos skateboarding?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“It’s funny because it’s a child’s penis.” -an extremely well paid pervert

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It isn’t honestly remarkable but I had purchased the movie to watch on a band trip and it was super weird for me. Doubly so as I also bought National Lampoon’s Family Vacation for a different one never having watched the DVD version before. I had a bad track record of unintentional nudity though I doubt anyone noticed/cared.

Thank Christ I learned my lesson and went through Revenge of the Nerds first; though that one has some real bad problems outside of the occasional boob or bush.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It followed a five minute sequence of every "cover up his privates with something funny" variation they could make.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s bananas how many “comedies” in the 80’s are just about sexual assault played for laughs

Funky Valentine posted:

It followed a five minute sequence of every "cover up his privates with something funny" variation they could make.

If the punchline of your epic set up is “a child’s penis” just rewrite your joke.

Here: Bart is seen going through five minutes of every contrived method of covering up his nudity while skateboarding, ending in Homer diving in front of him to cover it from view of Mrs. Lovejoy and the church picnic, but as he lands he catches it on a coffee table, splitting his pants and then Homer’s dick pops out instead. Essentially the same joke, but less naked children and ALSO it sort of subverts the audience expectation and you can throw in a nice “D’oh!” for good measure

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 12, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also Recess managed to fit in more character arcs and some kind of broader exploration of the rest of the show by having the teachers and kids team up for once.

Recess did a really good job of having it's teacher characters be surprisingly well rounded. The homeroom teacher Miss Grotke was always depicted as a genuinely good person who the kids liked and respected and although Principal Prickly and Ms. Finster are the main antagonists of the show there are quite a few episodes that present them as sympathetic where you get to see what there lives and interests are outside of school or they find common ground with the kids and bond with them a little.

The teachers were often opposed to the kids but they were also human, which even as a little kid I thought made for a more interesting show than just having them be evil and mean all the time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I miss the “surreal/super school” genre. Filmore was pretty fun though I could just watch law and order I suppose.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The first episode of Fillmore was just Silence of the Lambs but with bathroom graffiti instead of murder. It's great.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I always found the adults in those kids' shows really compelling as a kid, maybe because the kid plots were so outlandish and at odds with my boring childhood. Tito's mom on The Weekenders, the adults in Recess and Hey Arnold, etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wasn’t there some thing in Hey Arnold about two of the adult characters having an affair or something that isn’t presented up front but is fairly easy to put together with an older perspective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

Wasn’t there some thing in Hey Arnold about two of the adult characters having an affair or something that isn’t presented up front but is fairly easy to put together with an older perspective?

I know there's at least one episode where the characters all go on a beach vacation and Helga's mom and some other blonde lady both cheat on their jerkass husbands with a dance instructor.

I can't remember how old I was when I saw it, but it was apparently old enough to know what an affair was because I instantly realized that was what the show was implying was happening.

Edit:

Looked it up, the episode was a two parter called "Summer Love", the other blonde lady was named Suzie, and this is the dude they both definitely slept with (possibly at the same time): https://heyarnold.fandom.com/wiki/Carlos

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 13, 2021