Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

really like the armor scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW has been doing this since at least Soul Wars. Partial units force you to buy box sets to fill in the holes.

Soul Wars was the most bizarre since the unit sizes didn't even match with the min unit size.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW has been doing this since at least Soul Wars. Partial units force you to buy box sets to fill in the holes.

No partial units here, you just need another unit for a 1000 point list.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
its so bizarre because the 40k starters don't have this problem, they gave you 20 necron warriors in the indomitus box that you can run as a 20 man blob or split into two 10 man units to fill out a detachment, even Dark Imperium gave you enough poxwalkers and plague marines to get you started

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

Winklebottom posted:

really like the armor scheme

Thanks. The red is Flesh Tearers contrast over stormhost silver and its metallic sheen doesn't quite get captured in photos.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly my first guess is that Hobgrots were originally intended to be Battleline and then they got walked back.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

AnEdgelord posted:

its so bizarre because the 40k starters don't have this problem, they gave you 20 necron warriors in the indomitus box that you can run as a 20 man blob or split into two 10 man units to fill out a detachment, even Dark Imperium gave you enough poxwalkers and plague marines to get you started

The 8th edition First Strike box was:
3 reivers
3 intercessors
6 poxwalkers
3 plague marines.

0 of those were a complete unit outside of its custom data sheet. The easiest one to fill in were intercessors with a free store model and the intercessor that came with the learn about 40k magazine.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly my first guess is that Hobgrots were originally intended to be Battleline and then they got walked back.
Maybe they'll be battleline in the new book.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Talas posted:

Maybe they'll be battleline in the new book.

It would certainly give them literally any useful role.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

abravemoose posted:

The 8th edition First Strike box was:
3 reivers
3 intercessors
6 poxwalkers
3 plague marines.

0 of those were a complete unit outside of its custom data sheet. The easiest one to fill in were intercessors with a free store model and the intercessor that came with the learn about 40k magazine.

to be totally honest I forgot those smaller starters even existed back then, the flagship Dark Imperium set (the one that was equivalent to the Soul Wars box) didn't have those problems though

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Sounds like the Ork Combat Patrol is going to buck that trend.

There are 20 boys in the box and it appears the only option is 2 squads of 10 (each with a nob)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I can't imagine too many people have been genuinely trying to run full Kruleboyz armies ahead of the new book, surely? You'd just add some regular / savage orcs and do a combined army. The bolters will be battleline as well, if they have yellow shields at least. I hope wysiwyg isn't too important these days.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The mortal wound spam is almost good enough to carry them were it not for the awful battleline - they're going to be extremely mean when they have rules on top of that

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

The mortal wound spam is almost good enough to carry them were it not for the awful battleline - they're going to be extremely mean when they have rules on top of that

Gutrippas seem fine.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
We also dont know what the gutrippaz standard bearer and musician will do yet

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/09/these-warscrolls-show-how-dangerous-the-kruleboyz-are-at-all-ranges/

Dang that killabow is boss

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The mirebrute troggoth is a cool model to tie together Orruks with some Goblin allies.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That Troggoth is awesome, but I'm surprised that it doesn't have the monster keyword.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Talas posted:

That Troggoth is awesome, but I'm surprised that it doesn't have the monster keyword.

None of the other Troggs have it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

None of the other Troggs have it.

Wow, I never noticed. Thanks!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Troggoths are people, just very big people.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

https://www.warhammer-community.com...ese-warscrolls/

Chariot looks good, specially the spear version. Knight-Judicator seems like a better sniper than the Venator, but I wish his scroll had some synergy with the normal Judicator unit...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Knight-Judicator is a living artillery piece.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Reviews for the new battletomes are starting to go up:
https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-stormcast-eternals-3-0-the-goonhammer-review/
https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-orruk-warclans-3-0-the-goonhammer-review/
https://youtu.be/QM5X3ODnATg
https://youtu.be/ewYJ1eHP6yg

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Bonesplitterz seem like the kind of faction GW likes to sunset by decapitating their rules, if they think the models are too old and they don't plan on updating them.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

GreenMarine posted:

Bonesplitterz seem like the kind of faction GW likes to sunset by decapitating their rules, if they think the models are too old and they don't plan on updating them.

Good if true, since Bonesplitters are deeply embarassing in terms of aesthetic imo

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

There's no AoS app for 3.0 yet, is there? Do the new Battletomes come with a code for a digital version like 40k does now, or will digital and physical be sold separately like AoS 2.0?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's no digital preorder option, so I'd guess it's gonna be codes. (The BR books had digital preorder as a thing.)

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

They confirmed in the reviews that the battletomes come with codes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Deleter posted:

Good if true, since Bonesplitters are deeply embarassing in terms of aesthetic imo

The review highlights a lot of nerfs. Like, a lot of them. It's shocking. If they're getting retired...well, at least the most racist current models will be gone, so that's a net positive.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Like the entire thing is, you have a bunch of orcs in loincloths going ooga-booga who are literally called savage, and GW's response is to write lore to redeem that? But it's completely not worth the time or effort to keep it around. Either you ditch the models and faction entirely, or you have to change that aesthetic to actually match the lore you wrote.

People suggest monster hunter but honestly I'd go Flintstones and make a bunch of whacky squig dinosaurs and rock-powered machines

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
On the upside Kruleboys seem like a really engaging army for the player. Lots of very cool tricks. The Ironjaws megaboss rule is a real standout I won't be surprised if similar rules become more common in this edition (he can issue a single command to multiple units). I'm glad nothing on the surface screamed horribly broken, I am still really disappointed at the inclusion of faction strats and tactics though. Maybe I will be wrong and they will all suck.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The Deleter posted:

People suggest monster hunter but honestly I'd go Flintstones and make a bunch of whacky squig dinosaurs and rock-powered machines

I'm surprised this isn't more common and i kind of also want a hanna barbera wargame now

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The mass stripping of unit-unique CAs seems likely to continue apace, and the custom battalions seem incapable of breaking much if they continue to force them into only doing the stuff that the core battalion symbols can do. The real question is if the custom battle plans and stratagems can hold up over time.

Briny Sea Pup
Mar 28, 2010
So I just bought the Dominion box to start a hobby my wife and I can get into together; what else do I need to start learning to play? Can we play without the two army’s battletomes?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Briny Sea Pup posted:

So I just bought the Dominion box to start a hobby my wife and I can get into together; what else do I need to start learning to play? Can we play without the two army’s battletomes?

I would grab BattleScribe to make lists. It’s a little wonky but IMO for personal use it does the best job. People (all smarter than me) really like Azyr also.

You can look up rules at will with apps (the above) and also wahapedia. I think you can play without tomes well enough, but I like having them. The lore and pictures are fun and the reference tool is nice.

I’m trying to think of other things you need to learn to play and drawing a blank. For my wife, I printed off a second set of the core rule book so we could look up rules at the same time.

Maybe obvious materials:
Down the line, you’ll want a mat and some terrain. I also like having a dice tray. You want measuring tape. If you’re going to get more models, invest in some nice clippers, good superglue (Bob Smith ftw) and good plastic cement (Tamiya thin). If you’re going to get a *lot* of models, consider an airbrush for painting if you have the space.

I play games and hobby with my wife all the time and it’s really good fun.

Briny Sea Pup
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Magic posted:

I would grab BattleScribe to make lists. It’s a little wonky but IMO for personal use it does the best job. People (all smarter than me) really like Azyr also.

You can look up rules at will with apps (the above) and also wahapedia. I think you can play without tomes well enough, but I like having them. The lore and pictures are fun and the reference tool is nice.

I’m trying to think of other things you need to learn to play and drawing a blank. For my wife, I printed off a second set of the core rule book so we could look up rules at the same time.

Maybe obvious materials:
Down the line, you’ll want a mat and some terrain. I also like having a dice tray. You want measuring tape. If you’re going to get more models, invest in some nice clippers, good superglue (Bob Smith ftw) and good plastic cement (Tamiya thin). If you’re going to get a *lot* of models, consider an airbrush for painting if you have the space.

I play games and hobby with my wife all the time and it’s really good fun.

Thanks! The GW employee told me there are new battletomes being published, I’m assuming the game is undergoing a new edition like 40k? Should I wait and grab the new tomes? He asked if I wanted to preorder them but I wasn’t sure

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The new books for Stormcast and Orruks just went on preorder yesterday for 3e, yeah. Any other faction is gonna be a while.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/09/12/sunday-preview-bolster-your-kruleboyz-collection-and-discover-whats-new-on-warhammer/

Speaking of Orruks, next week sees even more pre-orders for them, alongside some terrain. And the AoS app beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Briny Sea Pup posted:

Thanks! The GW employee told me there are new battletomes being published, I’m assuming the game is undergoing a new edition like 40k? Should I wait and grab the new tomes? He asked if I wanted to preorder them but I wasn’t sure

A new edition just started in like, early July, and the Orruks and SCE are the first two battletomes. You’ll be fine if you wait on grabbing them. You’ll even be able to pick them up at 15% off MSRP if you hang on for like two weeks and just pick them up from your LGS (if you have one that isn’t GW) or eBay.

Just as an anecdote, I’ve been putting together some lists for two new (40K) armies today and having the books out while I drink my morning coffee is a nicer time for me than it would be, like, hunched over a computer or flipping through tabs on my iPad. But that is a preference thing and maybe you’re super into keeping it all digital, idk!

If you’re asking if you should wait to start, nah. No time like the present. Both forces from that box are really fun.

If for some reason you get the box and you don’t like it, the resell market for those figures is quite good right now because you can’t find them in boxes by themselves anywhere.