Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Probably a tangent but if I'm going to die on a prescriptivism hill it's going to be to explain what the term "waxing" means

As in "he was waxing eloquent" or "waxing nostalgic" or "waxing poetic"

Waxing means growing or becoming, and it has to be paired with another adjective because you are becoming that adjective, like as part of your soliloquy. He was growing poetic in his description of the good old days. Not "he was waxing on and on". "Waxing" is not a synonym for "speaking"

I feel comfortable in this pedantry because the only people who would use "waxing" at all are the kind of people who ought to care to get it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

That's a thing that I found so incredibly weird during my hitherto only visit to the US (I went to Chicago) - American flags everywhere. Like, yo, I know I'm in the US and presumably the people who live there know that even better.

It's pretty creepy. In the 1/4 mile from the entrance to my ex wife's development to her house, I count 12 flags (and 2 think blue line ones). I'd put the flag to no flag ratio at around 70% flag. I understood in the wake of Sep 11 but now I don't know what to call it. It's something like desperation mixed with anger combined with just plain old showing off that screams "I AM REPUBLICAN"

Also probably christian.

And white.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Data Graham posted:

Probably a tangent but if I'm going to die on a prescriptivism hill it's going to be to explain what the term "waxing" means

As in "he was waxing eloquent" or "waxing nostalgic" or "waxing poetic"

Waxing means growing or becoming, and it has to be paired with another adjective because you are becoming that adjective, like as part of your soliloquy. He was growing poetic in his description of the good old days. Not "he was waxing on and on". "Waxing" is not a synonym for "speaking"

It can also mean building which is where waxing on and on comes from. As in 'They were constantly building to the point but never got there.'

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We still use the terms "waxing" and "waning" to describe the moon, which makes the meaning clear.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

We still use the terms "waxing" and "waning" to describe the moon, which makes the meaning clear.

Or so you'd think

But then I wonder what % of the population even know that let alone make the connection

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

We inherited my grandparents' home, but it came with, in a way, taking care of my great-aunt who's slightly mentally disabled and never moved away from [that] house. She could never have maintained it on her own. Anyway, because of her we're obliged to maintain the American flag which had always been proudly displayed on a pole in the front lawn; definitely not something I would have done otherwise, especially after a recent conversation with a black friend of mine where she told me that when she sees a white neighbor with a big flag like that, she feels like she knows they're not allies. Particularly because of that conversation I do as much as I can short of yelling, "We're not chuds, I swear!" to signal to our black next-door neighbors that we do, in fact, want them around.

My aunt must have a stash of them or some poo poo because I got excited once when our flag was looking pretty ratty, thinking I might be able to replace it with our state flag or something, but just when I was about to suggest it to our erstwhile roommate a brand new one replaced it overnight as if by magic.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm waxing my car.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Waning is when the moon becomes wan.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Don't take the flag down, just add a pride one underneath it

OwlFancier posted:

Waning is when the moon becomes wan.

Oh gently caress am I about to learn that I've been pronouncing something wrong for years

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

BiggerBoat posted:

It's pretty creepy. In the 1/4 mile from the entrance to my ex wife's development to her house, I count 12 flags (and 2 think blue line ones). I'd put the flag to no flag ratio at around 70% flag. I understood in the wake of Sep 11 but now I don't know what to call it. It's something like desperation mixed with anger combined with just plain old showing off that screams "I AM REPUBLICAN"

Also probably christian.

And white.

As a Brit who went to Florida in 2002 to do the theme parks, I distinctly recall seeing an advert on TV.

*Picture of American Street*
*Fade to black*
Caption: On September 11th terrorists tried to change our country forever
*Fade back in, now all the houses are flying flags*
Caption: They did.

Even as a teen, one year after I remember thinking that must've been the hardest anyone has ever missed a point.

I'm also one of the few Brits to have seen Pluto Nash in theatres, because we were at Universal Studios and we were gonna watch something, Eddie Murphy, he's funny, this'll be alright.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I remember AOTS.

I also remember seeing a pic of Olivia Munn :lolplant: the Green Bay Packers' quarterback Aaron Rodgers via a Snapchat screenshot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I remember AOTS.

I also remember seeing a pic of Olivia Munn :lolplant: the Green Bay Packers' quarterback Aaron Rodgers via a Snapchat screenshot.

Thanks for sharing

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I remember AOTS.

How was his hog?

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

I remember AOTS.

And now she’s having a baby with John Mulaney. What have you done with your life?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I remember AOTS.

thank you for your incredibly gross perspective

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

flavor.flv posted:

Don't take the flag down, just add a pride one underneath it

Oh gently caress am I about to learn that I've been pronouncing something wrong for years

"waning" is a form of "to wane", which is pronounced exactly the way you'd think.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

memory loss

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Captain Splendid posted:

I definitely did not until the age of 22 believe that the verb "to misle" existed in the English language and had instead been misreading "misled" the entire time.

Honestly it's a great verb, sounds just right

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

look I'm sorry I hosed up trying to attach a file ok

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

hawowanlawow posted:

When I was a little kid I read peanuts and didn't know what the gently caress *sigh* meant

It means don't sigh your posts

Whooping Crabs has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 12, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Kofie/status/1437037739300511749

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

They'll never shut down my pirate radio station!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LifeSunDeath posted:

They'll never shut down my pirate radio station!

It looks like he's vaping.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Paladinus posted:

It looks like he's vaping.

if he was alive today he would be

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Christian slater is though?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Christian slater is though?

I can't find a single photo of him vaping, which means he's dead.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I remember AOTS.

This is the worst post.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

"Fellatio"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I took this photo at Half Priced Books earlier today.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

novaSphere posted:

memory loss

1/10. Only one frame. Add the other three and then you'll have something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrUnderbridge posted:

1/10. Only one frame. Add the other three and then you'll have something.

look closer

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BOOTY-ADE posted:

"Fellatio"

Or irrumatio

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BrianBoitano posted:

I mentally swapped the i and o in grandiose, thought it was French, and so pronounced it grand-wa until I was in my mid 20s

When I was in year 4, I did this with "loincloth". I'd never seen the word "loin" before, and it made sense to me that hunter-gatherers would wear lion cloths around their waists. The teacher made fun of me.

gently caress you, Mrs Metcalfe :(

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I used to pronounce scimitar as "smite-er". Not that it comes up often, but when you are talking nerd stuff about mmos with your friends, you kinda look like a dumb rear end.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

When I was in year 4, I did this with "loincloth". I'd never seen the word "loin" before, and it made sense to me that hunter-gatherers would wear lion cloths around their waists. The teacher made fun of me.

gently caress you, Mrs Metcalfe :(

Similarly, a kid in my 8th grade class was trying to say something was vague, but kept pronouncing it 'vahhhg'. The teacher just did not pick up on what he was saying the whole time, and it clearly took the wind out of his sails.

I always felt bad because he wasn't normally outspoken in class, or even interested in joining an academic discussion, so to be shut down for mispronouncing a word that he clearly just read and never heard pronounced was pretty rough.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

got kicked out of the salvatore reading circle for calling the character "drizzle donut"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Zil posted:

when you are talking nerd stuff about mmos with your friends, you kinda look like a dumb rear end.

Mmo players love to pronounce reagent like regent