Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

I believe both do that, actually. It's just that 3 does it in a single cyberspace-focused mission, while 4's whole thing is cyberspace-focused so its playing with that is more spread-out.
Yeah, 4 has a bunch of fake glitches and stuff when your character is in the simulation, but one of them (and I think it is 3) has a bit where it looks like your computer has crashed so badly it's rebooting. The glitch stuff in 4 never got me, but that reboot did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm picturing something where the game takes an image of your desktop as the game boots and stores it so that at some point it can do a convincing crash to desktop for a few seconds before manipulating it for whatever sinister purpose the fourth-wall break is for.

e: Also, there was an old FPS game that put you in the shoes of an anti-virus program in your own computer, and promised to use your files as the level architecture, like images and text would be portrayed on the walls, and lord help you if the game got to your system files. I have no idea which game, what it actually did, or what reception it had.

Triarii posted:

I remember when I was playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and I got to that Scarecrow part where one of the reality-breaking effects it throws at you is making it look like the game has crashed. Except that the game actually had crashed a couple of times up to that point because it wasn't the most solid PC port, so I got awfully close to end-tasking the program and trying again.

In that vein, has any game every tried to deliberately do the kind of physics glitch (much like the gif above) where an object gets stuck inside something else and vibrates around violently before getting launched off into space with improbable force? I feel like it's so chaotic that it would be kind of hard to recreate believably.

I remember a bit of developer commentary in Half-Life 2 where they had a random physics kicker in a dumpster full of boxes, and basically every tester tossed a grenade in there, but one player had the physics kicker throw the grenade back out at him, and they liked that effect so much they scripted the behavior in.

Dareon has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Sep 12, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dareon posted:

I'm picturing something where the game takes an image of your desktop as the game boots and stores it so that at some point it can do a convincing crash to desktop for a few seconds before manipulating it for whatever sinister purpose the fourth-wall break is for.

Yeah, I really don't think we should encourage games to gather potentially personal information just for this. Especially now that streaming is a thing. Let's just keep it to more generic things, eternal darkness, Arkham Asylum and the psycho mantis stuff worked despite not matching everyone's exact TV.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cleretic posted:

I believe both do that, actually. It's just that 3 does it in a single cyberspace-focused mission, while 4's whole thing is cyberspace-focused so its playing with that is more spread-out.

And funnily enough, glitches are actually the one place where 'gently caress with you as the player' sanity effects would still work. And probably better than they used to, actually. Widespread mass common engine use of stuff like Unreal and Unity means that a lot of the vocabulary of glitches is more standardized; not only that, but the general gaming public is more familiar with that vocabulary now, so we can recognize stuff like t-posing, misaligned textures, value over/underflows, clipping out of bounds, stuff like that.

If I were a game developer today, I probably couldn't convince you that your TV was broken. But I could definitely convince you that your game is.

In the Chrono Trigger developer ending this happens too. You talk to an NPC and they're like "thanks for playing!" And the screen goes black for five seconds. Then it comes back and he's like "haha just kidding!"

Made me so mad as a kid because I hadn't gone through that whole ending yet when I reached that dude

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dareon posted:

e: Also, there was an old FPS game that put you in the shoes of an anti-virus program in your own computer, and promised to use your files as the level architecture, like images and text would be portrayed on the walls, and lord help you if the game got to your system files. I have no idea which game, what it actually did, or what reception it had.

Virus: The Game

Which was inferior to Operation: Inner Space which came out several years earlier and was way more fun to play.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pony Island had some tricks to try and get you to stop paying attention at crucial times. You're supposed to watch for a password at one point, but you'll also get a Stream notification of a message from someone in your friends list. They'll ask you "wtf was that message you sent me?""Are you hacked" and whatnot to try to distract you or get you to alt-tab out.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Mierenneuker posted:

Virus: The Game

Which was inferior to Operation: Inner Space which came out several years earlier and was way more fun to play.

That’s basically just Tron without the IP license:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Triarii posted:

I remember when I was playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and I got to that Scarecrow part where one of the reality-breaking effects it throws at you is making it look like the game has crashed. Except that the game actually had crashed a couple of times up to that point because it wasn't the most solid PC port, so I got awfully close to end-tasking the program and trying again.

When that happened I turned off my console because I thought it was overheating or something.

I eventually tried again and got past it after it did the exact same effect at the same spot. I think the big houses don't really let you do that sort of thing these days.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Mierenneuker posted:

Operation: Inner Space which came out several years earlier and was way more fun to play.

This game ruled and I played so danged much of it when I first got it with Windows 3. It was like a top down spaceship roguelike that used your directory structure and files as layout and enemies. I don't think there's ever been anything quite like it.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There's also an X-Men game for the original Genesis that has you reset the console at a certain point in a level in order to progress in the game, pretty bizarre design choice there. You're supposed to be resetting a simulation or something like that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mercury_Storm posted:

There's also an X-Men game for the original Genesis that has you reset the console at a certain point in a level in order to progress in the game, pretty bizarre design choice there. You're supposed to be resetting a simulation or something like that.

It's also extremely deep in the game in a game with no passwords or saving so resetting is a HUGE risk because you might be starting the entire drat game over.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Kids these days have it so easy with their video games and saves :okboomer:

In my day you had to remember a specific pattern of colored dots on an 9x9 grid to get back to the level you were at

Seth Pecksniff has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Sep 12, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hmm, the idea of this is so cool but i also totally understand how this is a horrible idea that should never be done

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not that it would have been a frequent problem, but I believe that X-Men game was also unbeatable on the Sega Nomad, due to it lacking a soft reset option.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hmm, the idea of this is so cool but i also totally understand how this is a horrible idea that should never be done

You are smarter than the developers at Rare, who planned a whole series-spanning feature that would let you unlock things in different n64 games by ripping the cart out and jamming a new one in before the ram had time to clear.

They had it finished and working before somebody at Nintendo noticed and told them to take it out

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
in game reset chat i have a memory of an NES game where like a level select cheat or lives cheat was activated by resetting the console like 13 times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

flavor.flv posted:

You are smarter than the developers at Rare, who planned a whole series-spanning feature that would let you unlock things in different n64 games by ripping the cart out and jamming a new one in before the ram had time to clear.

They had it finished and working before somebody at Nintendo noticed and told them to take it out

Please tell me more

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Please tell me more
I believe it only worked on some models, later ones cleared ram faster.

Also "rip your cart out while the machine is on and slam a new one in. Hurry, do it fast, if you're too slow it won't work! FASTER NO TIME TO BE CAREFUL" sounds like a recipe for a lot of broken nintendo 64s.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Hygiene posted:

Please tell me more

This was the Stop'n'Swop feature that was planned for the Banjo-Kazooie games. The idea was that you'd do something in game A, and then very quickly (in a matter of seconds) turn off the N64, pull out the game A cartridge, stick in the game B cartridge, and turn the N64 back on. Then when you started playing game B it would have a response to what had happened in game A. This is possible because the RAM chips in the console retain their data for a short time after power is removed, so game B can find the last thing game A stored there if it reads from the memory before itself writing anything to it.

Nintendo didn't like it because it's exploiting an unintentional and unpredictable hardware quirk; normally reading uninitialized memory is a great way to crash your program or expose yourself to security holes. It also seemed likely a lot of kids would break their consoles trying to do it quickly. They first forbade Rare from shipping that feature, and then changed the N64 hardware so the RAM clears itself much faster on power loss or reboot and the trick stopped working entirely. The content that was supposed to be associated with stop'n'swop is still in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie and you can see it with emulators and cheat codes. It was also enabled in the Xbox 360 port (using proper cross-game communication APIs and the 360's persistent storage).

https://banjokazooie.fandom.com/wiki/Stop_%27n%27_Swop

haveblue has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Sep 12, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That is bonkers. I'm equal parts sad something so insane didn't make it to production, and understanding why it'd be a terrible idea in actuality for the original release.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

haveblue posted:

[...] It was also enabled in the Xbox 360 port (using proper cross-game communication APIs and the 360's persistent storage).

It's also referenced by a voice in one of the songs in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2agkX7ZhbE&t=207s

Which I guess is fitting for a song that makes multiple references to video games. The very start is Pong + Pac-Man for example.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Please tell me more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYrs2C967g&t=1003s
(16:34 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There's a chainsaw without gas in Maniac Mansion and a gas can in Zak McKracken. I always hoped I could somehow get one transferred with save game fuckery but you can't :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

There's a chainsaw without gas in Maniac Mansion and a gas can in Zak McKracken. I always hoped I could somehow get one transferred with save game fuckery but you can't :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

low key sex master posted:

In the Chrono Trigger developer ending this happens too. You talk to an NPC and they're like "thanks for playing!" And the screen goes black for five seconds. Then it comes back and he's like "haha just kidding!"

Made me so mad as a kid because I hadn't gone through that whole ending yet when I reached that dude

There's another one in the monster village but I can't quite remember how it goes and trying to find it just brings up people with fake DS carts hitting the copy protection blocks.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not that it would have been a frequent problem, but I believe that X-Men game was also unbeatable on the Sega Nomad, due to it lacking a soft reset option.

I don't think it works on the Genesis 3 either because it "properly" clears RAM on reset

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Dareon posted:

I remember a bit of developer commentary in Half-Life 2 where they had a random physics kicker in a dumpster full of boxes, and basically every tester tossed a grenade in there, but one player had the physics kicker throw the grenade back out at him, and they liked that effect so much they scripted the behavior in.

http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/ Don't actually play this, a shmup that deletes files off your computer when you kill enemies.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Kids these days have it so easy with their video games and saves :okboomer:

In my day you had to remember a specific pattern of colored dots on an 9x9 grid to get back to the level you were at

The Guardian Legend is great for this with it's 32 character passwords

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

This was the Stop'n'Swop feature that was planned for the Banjo-Kazooie games. The idea was that you'd do something in game A, and then very quickly (in a matter of seconds) turn off the N64, pull out the game A cartridge, stick in the game B cartridge, and turn the N64 back on. Then when you started playing game B it would have a response to what had happened in game A. This is possible because the RAM chips in the console retain their data for a short time after power is removed, so game B can find the last thing game A stored there if it reads from the memory before itself writing anything to it.

Nintendo didn't like it because it's exploiting an unintentional and unpredictable hardware quirk; normally reading uninitialized memory is a great way to crash your program or expose yourself to security holes. It also seemed likely a lot of kids would break their consoles trying to do it quickly. They first forbade Rare from shipping that feature, and then changed the N64 hardware so the RAM clears itself much faster on power loss or reboot and the trick stopped working entirely. The content that was supposed to be associated with stop'n'swop is still in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie and you can see it with emulators and cheat codes. It was also enabled in the Xbox 360 port (using proper cross-game communication APIs and the 360's persistent storage).

This is used to intentionally glitch some games for speedrunning purposes. Famously to speedrun Paper Mario 64 by first playing Ocarina of Time, getting the memory into a specific state and then quickly swapping the cartridges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIpceAUytMw

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Booourns posted:

The Guardian Legend is great for this with it's 32 character passwords

The fun thing about these early password systems is they are many of them are literally just encoding the game state as a character string, so you are basically making a save file, just on paper instead of a hard drive. If you know the encoding you can make yourself custom tailored save data.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The fun thing about these early password systems is they are many of them are literally just encoding the game state as a character string, so you are basically making a save file, just on paper instead of a hard drive. If you know the encoding you can make yourself custom tailored save data.

This password is burned into my memory from childhood.

Final stage in Castlevania 3, with the phrase "help me" as the name. I was a scrub and had to use the "help me" cheat so I would start with 10 lives instead of 3.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

habituallyred posted:

http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/ Don't actually play this, a shmup that deletes files off your computer when you kill enemies.

This almost the description for NieR

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I hosed around with this back in the old megamans, occasionally finding a working code! Good times

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

JUSTIN BAILEY

only old school gamers get this reference

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

JUSTIN BAILEY

only old school gamers get this reference

ICARUS FIGHTS
MEDUSA ANGELS

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Tiggum posted:

I can't remember if it was Saints Row 3 or 4, but one of them has a bit where it makes it look like your computer has crashed. I definitely thought it was legit for a moment, the first time I saw it.

A favorite glitch of mine is from Saints Row 2. If you do the ambulance missions, you can earn a pair of defibrillators that lets you bring people back to life. During testing, it was discovered that if you turned your back on a body, walked a little bit away, then turned back around, the body would be laying perfectly flat with no weird poses. If you defib them then, it launched their body into space. They found this so amusing that it not only wasn't patched, but they released a video showing how to do it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/ANmZNND.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/F6anay0.mp4

moon's haunted.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Unfortunately this isn't a move you can learn :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YVcAKDeHQ

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The halo alpha has an amusing glitch
https://twitter.com/Sprucelass/status/1441433049850425344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Keep that in and make it the central mechanic, imo