Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

eXXon posted:

Anyone know if there are faster letter shipping methods from the US to Canada than USPS that don't also cost $20+ (a somewhat higher value than I'd place on my individual vote)?

Elections Canada won't accept ballots received after election day no matter when they're postmarked (this seems ridiculous but here we are). "First class" USPS letter mail takes anywhere from 3 to ?15? business days and I was not wise enough to mail my ballot as soon as I got it.

Yeah, speaking as someone who interacts with USPS quite a bit through work, 'First Class' envelopes containing very little sometimes take 3+ weeks to cross the border and arrive at their destination. In my experience also there is nothing that isn't in the 18-19+ price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

tagesschau posted:

On what basis? The prime minister has always had significant leeway to advise the governor general, and even in granting the prorogation, she required there to be a confidence vote pretty quickly after Parliament resumed.

Given that this was in the context of parties constituting a majority of the house signing a declaration to unseat the governing party, it was unclear whether the the Prime Minister actually commanded the confidence of the legislature. The reason the Governor General is supposed to follow the advisement of the PM is because the PM is presumed to have the confidence of the House (and through that democratic legitimacy). Since the confidence was ambiguous in such case, the Governor General should have asked the House to endorse the request itself. This seems to me to be the best way to ensure that the technically-existing power of the Crown, which is supposed to only exist in technicality, is not exerted to undermine the operation of the democratic(ish) institutions which are supposed to actually wield that power in practice.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
There's not going to be a coalition government.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Polllllllllllls

https://archive.md/b9G23

Highest poll I've seen for the libs I think.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

eXXon posted:

Anyone know if there are faster letter shipping methods from the US to Canada than USPS that don't also cost $20+ (a somewhat higher value than I'd place on my individual vote)?

Elections Canada won't accept ballots received after election day no matter when they're postmarked (this seems ridiculous but here we are). "First class" USPS letter mail takes anywhere from 3 to ?15? business days and I was not wise enough to mail my ballot as soon as I got it.

dude just pay the money to overnight it lol

its your loving vote

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/BravoDavenport/status/1437033007089602565?s=20

The party that will lower the deficit the most with $0 new revenues is the most fiscally responsible

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Saw a tent at the park and thought it was a pop-up COVID testing site, but it turned out to be a PPC rally (the opposite of a testing site)

Voted early this morning, though I’m sure my riding will go Lib again

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

queeb posted:

Polllllllllllls

https://archive.md/b9G23

Highest poll I've seen for the libs I think.

People are saying the debates may have saved Trudeau’s rear end, but there’s still 8 days to go yet…

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I just voted in Vancouver East and wrote in the ball breathing guy all over the ballot.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

RBC posted:

dude just pay the money to overnight it lol

its your loving vote

My vote was barely worth the old $2 subsidy, it's not worth $20 of my own money.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pokeyman posted:

My vote was barely worth the old $2 subsidy, it's not worth $20 of my own money.

Indeed, I'm really curious as to what fraction of people (even amongst those who can actually afford it) would still vote if it cost $25 for some dumb reason.

I probably will anyway but I'm also generally annoyed that if I want to sent a card or letter from the US to Canada I have to either spend $20 or accept that it might arrive the next day or in 3-4 weeks, who knows? And presumably the same is true vice versa (I'm pretty sure it's 99% USPS rather than Canada Post to blame).

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
If money is an issue but time isn't, you could loiter around the airport to find someone heading into Canada and send your vote with them?

but yeah the only real option is get it done early or pay UPS/FedEx a fortune to express mail it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I ordered a mail in ballot off Elections Canada, and it literally arrived in my mailbox as I was on the way back from early voting after going "gently caress it". Shredded it when I got inside.

Apparently you can just drop off the ballot in the envelope provided with it at your regular polling station on election day and they'll add it to the pile if you can't mail it by the due date.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

eXXon posted:

Indeed, I'm really curious as to what fraction of people (even amongst those who can actually afford it) would still vote if it cost $25 for some dumb reason.

I probably will anyway but I'm also generally annoyed that if I want to sent a card or letter from the US to Canada I have to either spend $20 or accept that it might arrive the next day or in 3-4 weeks, who knows? And presumably the same is true vice versa (I'm pretty sure it's 99% USPS rather than Canada Post to blame).

Yeah but it's entirely your fault for waiting this long.

You probably could send it first class mail and it probably would get there in time, but there's a chance it won't.

It's pretty incredible you can pay less than 2 dollars and send something anywhere in North America.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

linoleum floors posted:

Yeah but it's entirely your fault for waiting this long.

And if I hadn't made up my mind, too bad?

linoleum floors posted:

You probably could send it first class mail and it probably would get there in time, but there's a chance it won't.

That was also true when I first got my ballot.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
The gently caress are you whining about. You don't even live here

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I bring up Pygmalion way too often whenever people act the way they're accused of acting, so I might as well tell Quebec nationalists to go gently caress themselves. Blanchet, Legault and now the Quebec Provincial Liberals are all denouncing "Quebec bashing" like the thin skinned babies they all are. I know reacting to their bullshit plays into their persecution complex but gently caress em anyways.

gently caress the provinces in general. Everyone wants their own little fiefdom where every provincial government wants to be top dog and better than their neighbors and it's loving toxic garbage that does nothing for the actual people living in the country. It's a game of FYGM between rich upper classholes who use xenophobia, racism and a raging inferiority complex to incite the hateful and the ignorant among the community to reinforce their ruling opinions.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 12, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Speaking of balls

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1437141606319132677

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I bring up Pygmalion way too often whenever people act the way they're accused of acting, so I might as well tell Quebec nationalists to go gently caress themselves. Blanchet, Legault and now the Quebec Provincial Liberals are all denouncing "Quebec bashing" like the thin skinned babies they all are. I know reacting to their bullshit plays into their persecution complex but gently caress em anyways.

gently caress the provinces in general. Everyone wants their own little fiefdom where every provincial government wants to be top dog and better than their neighbors and it's loving toxic garbage that does nothing for the actual people living in the country. It's a game of FYGM between rich upper classholes who use xenophobia, racism and a raging inferiority complex to incite the hateful and the ignorant among the community to reinforce their ruling opinions.

Looks like they got you pretty worked up

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gros Tarla posted:

Looks like they got you pretty worked up

every time i see a post like this, it reminds me of the guys from 21 jump street, when they realize that performatively not caring about things is no longer cool

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I appreciates this good buddy.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

every time i see a post like this, it reminds me of the guys from 21 jump street, when they realize that performatively not caring about things is no longer cool

The structure of the country is hosed to begin with. You can be mad at Blanchet, Kenney or Ford all you want, in the end if you care it’s reopening the constitution that’s needed. And every single leader is too scared to do it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I understood that reference.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What's all this crap in the comments about some UOttawa study saying the NDP have a poorly thought out budget?

I mean, I'm sure it's biased towards the red and blue parties because of course it is but is it actually something credible or similar to when the Fraser Institute says things?

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

that's pretty cool

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/MumilaaqQaqqaq/status/1437045244554620929?s=20

Only thing I've ever got out of my 30+ years of watching the red and blue teams trade back and forth is legal weed, lower taxes, and insane spikes in house prices. Of course these things are more important than the basics like drinking water, and housing.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Just voted my insignificant vote (cons got 71% of the vote last time), but at least I'm trying

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Did my pointless dipper vote in my insanely blue riding. For fun I’m guessing the ppc are gonna get at least 10% of the vote here due to all the anti vaccine passport sickos around these parts.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

berenzen posted:

Just voted my insignificant vote (cons got 71% of the vote last time), but at least I'm trying

:same:

:sigh:

Election Seasonal Depression.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Aces High posted:

What's all this crap in the comments about some UOttawa study saying the NDP have a poorly thought out budget?

I mean, I'm sure it's biased towards the red and blue parties because of course it is but is it actually something credible or similar to when the Fraser Institute says things?

I scrolled through an unhealthy amount of replies to that tweet and didn't see any mention of a UOttawa study, got a link?

In general, I would suggest anyone who fires up a spreadsheet with a copy of a party platform in hand has completely lost the plot for how platforms are used and what level of detail is relevant therein.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I love this guy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I am very curious to see what if anything the hypothetical vote split with PPC does to the CPC seat count this time out. I think if they get any serious traction we'll see another Conservative/Reform style merger with the CPC fully embracing the nutjobs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arc Hammer posted:

gently caress the provinces in general

:agreed:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gros Tarla posted:

The structure of the country is hosed to begin with. You can be mad at Blanchet, Kenney or Ford all you want, in the end if you care it’s reopening the constitution that’s needed. And every single leader is too scared to do it.

At this point being mad feels better than being resigned to poo poo being awful. I just spent the last two years watching every province betray the trust and wellbeing of their people for the sake of profit and power and it has left me utterly disgusted and disillusioned by their naked corruption, cruelty and stupidity. I can't open the constitution to rip these murderers a new one and disenfranchise the fuckers but I also can't bring myself to shut it all out either. Anger is better than despair. At least it means I care about something.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

infernal machines posted:

I am very curious to see what if anything the hypothetical vote split with PPC does to the CPC seat count this time out. I think if they get any serious traction we'll see another Conservative/Reform style merger with the CPC fully embracing the nutjobs.

I think the PPC votes (in Alberta atleast which I'm sure is PPC central compared to the rest of the country) are pretty concentrated in the ridings that the CPC candidate is going to win by 50%+ margin anyways.. They will probably have no impact on the number of seats the CPC gets from this province.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I wonder about Ontario though because there's enough ridings that get traded back and forth between CPC and Liberals every few elections that it might make a difference here.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

pokeyman posted:

I scrolled through an unhealthy amount of replies to that tweet and didn't see any mention of a UOttawa study, got a link?

In general, I would suggest anyone who fires up a spreadsheet with a copy of a party platform in hand has completely lost the plot for how platforms are used and what level of detail is relevant therein.

This was the thing I saw a few naysayers quoting https://www.ifsd.ca/en/blog/last-page-blog/ndp-2021-platform

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thanks! I guess they're using some rubric they created in 2019, looks like some balanced budgets bullshit but I'm no expert https://www.ifsd.ca/en/blog/last-page-blog/assessment-party-platforms

I'm curious who the audience is for this kinda stuff? Like who says "I was gonna vote NDP but this UOttawa think tank says their platform's fiscal credibility is 'pass' and that just doesn't cut it for me". I assume Liberals?

I get the desire to feel relevant in an election year though, and they can probably fob it off on their grad students, so good for them I guess.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’ve been trying to figure out how political donations work, having never done one before. Finding the max amount was easy. I think all donations are public record, is that right?

https://www.elections.ca/wpapps/WPF/EN/CCS/Index?returntype=1

Although I’m guessing this wouldn’t be indexed by any search engines, so someone would need to be pretty bored/dedicated to track down what an individual did?

(This is pure paranoia but the industry I work in definitely has the reputation of leaning the other direction than I do politically, so…)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Gros Tarla posted:

Yeah honestly Canadian style federalism is crippling. Just give assymetric autonomy to Quebec, New Brunswick, and the Indigenous Reservations and centralize the rest.

Edit: This is rhetorical, it's be impossible to find the political willpower to do this.