Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Imagine being the exact person that comic is making fun of, and getting upset for a completely different reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i definitely never would have guessed, from reading the comic, that it has anything to do with airpods or iphones - or even consumption, specifically.

seems a lot more like its just mocking the general idea that you can't criticize a system if you are part of it

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I cant read i just game

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Here's a unpopular opinion: Suda 51 should do more stuff like Silver Case and 25th Ward and less stuff like No More Heroes.

steinrokkan posted:

Acting like you care for few days, then buying the poo poo you pretend to boycott anyway isn't caring.

You can't expect people to live by their principles on the internet!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you have nice things and think society should be improved you're a hypocrite, if you don't have nice things and think society should be improved you're jealous

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's possible... just hear me out here... it's possible that there exists a person that would complain about a company and then will not buy their stuff.

:psyboom:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Man I absolutely cannot stand farming/life sim games.

Oh goody, I get to run errands for demanding assholes, manage my time, and do insanely repetitive work to make money

It's like the absolute worst parts of my life made into a video game for me to "enjoy"

itry posted:

It's possible... just hear me out here... it's possible that there exists a person that would complain about a company and then will not buy their stuff.

:psyboom:

Yeah if someone speaks against a company for doing awful lovely things I definitely expect them to put their money where their mouth is and not support that company. And that's exactly what I do and will be doing for Tripwire until fucko is completely out of the company and doesn't benefit from their sales. I feel like most people will do the same

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Play posted:

Man I absolutely cannot stand farming/life sim games.

Oh goody, I get to run errands for demanding assholes, manage my time, and do insanely repetitive work to make money

It's like the absolute worst parts of my life made into a video game for me to "enjoy"

What you dislike is capitalism.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Popoto posted:

What you dislike is capitalism.

nah, most life-sims take place in a post-apocalyptic world where capitalism is dead. Stardew Valley, Terraria, Rune Factory, My Time at Portia, Minecraft, etc all post apocalyptic

but in this case it a post apocalyptic utopia because the apocalypse destroyed capitalism

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm the first person to call Harvest Moon a game for repressed weebs or Farm Simulator a game for boring old zoomers but Stardew Valley is a legit solid gold classic

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm the first person to call Harvest Moon a game for repressed weebs or Farm Simulator a game for boring old zoomers but Stardew Valley is a legit solid gold classic

Stardew Valley's og MP where everyone shares the same wealth is a good Co-operative enterprise experience. "What do you mean you spent ALL of our cash on upgrading your backpack? It's the first of the month!"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Popoto posted:

Stardew Valley's og MP where everyone shares the same wealth is a good Co-operative enterprise experience. "What do you mean you spent ALL of our cash on upgrading your backpack? It's the first of the month!"

How did you not murder your friend in that situation?

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
Have video game forums always been insufferable or is it just more noticeable now that I’m older. I’d say the advent of the downvote button has made them worse. Talking about video games has never felt quite so scientific. What good/fun is there in reading 500 posts on Reddit that all say the exact same thing, and anything that doesn’t is downvoted into obscurity?

When did people get so mad about video games? And when did the fun in talking about them go.

Edit: and isn’t it ironic that people taking their time to read/post in video game forums and subreddits are huge bullies? Youd think their real life experience would make them not wanna be the bully.

its_my_birthday fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 12, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
threads on SA are p good for video game chat... and theres like at least one video vame thread per subforum outside of games. i dunno :shrug: lots of choice

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

its_my_birthday posted:

Have video game forums always been insufferable or is it just more noticeable now that I’m older. I’d say the advent of the downvote button has made them worse. Talking about video games has never felt quite so scientific. What good/fun is there in reading 500 posts on Reddit that all say the exact same thing, and anything that doesn’t is downvoted into obscurity?

When did people get so mad about video games? And when did the fun in talking about them go.

I don't think so, I think it's just the audience getting older, you are not wrong, the whole voting aspect of online discussion is just something I especially don't like to be a part of, it creates this horrid environment where anything that isn't an in-joke or gushing praise is literally put to the bottom of the pile. I'm sure there are people out there who get a lot of satisfaction from their reddit karma score though so if that's a game people want to play then let them.

There's nothing wrong with getting mad at games on the internet - if nothing else you are providing entertainment for someone and at the absolute worst you are just an rear end in a top hat that people will go out their way to avoid. It's far more interesting to read, especially in regards to videogames, I enjoy the discussion on SA, specifically Games but lot of the time it kinda boils down to the same 50+ folk who play every single videogame that comes out without ever coming across as actively enjoying them and often that's just not that interesting.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

limp_cheese posted:

How did you not murder your friend in that situation?

We made them work twice as hard to recoup the money through fishing from dawn till the first hour of the next day and now emptying the farm’s finances is called “doing a -friend’s name-“

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

its_my_birthday posted:

Edit: and isn’t it ironic that people taking their time to read/post in video game forums and subreddits are huge bullies? Youd think their real life experience would make them not wanna be the bully.

I think the problem is reddit lol. The video game forums on sa are p good. Lol why are u reading reddit

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the games forum is good but it really is mostly just a big pile of chat megathreads

resetera is the worst, it is just full of bad faith discussion and weirdo nintendo dorks

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Reddit is the general public and we all know what thats like. I like SA because its full of old nerds who grew up on the internet in its wild west days and everyones kinda on the same page. Also no memes here.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Caesar Saladin posted:

the games forum is good

You know god drat well that isn't true

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Archer666 posted:

Here's a unpopular opinion: Suda 51 should do more stuff like Silver Case and 25th Ward and less stuff like No More Heroes.

Here's my worst opinion: Suda should just do movies or comic books and quit trying to make the most unplayable video games possible.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Reddit is the general public and we all know what thats like. I like SA because its full of old nerds who grew up on the internet in its wild west days and everyones kinda on the same page. Also no memes here.

yea the issue with the games subreddits are not much different from discussing things on any other kind of subreddit, they are just more aggro about it because gamers

like just in general if you give people a discussion system where people can upvote and downvote posts and the downvoted posts become "hidden" there is no question that unpopular opinions will be suppressed, its almost like its set up explicitly for that purpose. and since reddit is a hugely popular site used not just by the general public but marketers, that poo poo is heavily manipulated

imo the only reddits that are really useable are small ones about niche subjects, some of those can be well run and good

there used to be memes here years ago but they were called image macros back then lol

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 12, 2021

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Speaking about exclusives from a little back, it's drat near a crime that Soul Sacrifice was never ported to anything besides the Vita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAx2K16n7xw

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

tripwood posted:

Here's my worst opinion: Suda should just do movies or comic books and quit trying to make the most unplayable video games possible.

I've been going through his games and I'm almost positive his games are that on purpose. I imagine if he made a movie it'd roll the credits halfway through, followed by 5 minutes of a black screen before the movie continues.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

the games forum is good but it really is mostly just a big pile of chat megathreads

resetera is the worst, it is just full of bad faith discussion and weirdo nintendo dorks

You can't have a small less popular thread in the game forum as it's too busy. Which kind of sucks for smaller games. I'm not bitter my poor Slipways thread didn't take off or my Storybook Brawl thread just had me in it. Noooooo not at all!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

its_my_birthday posted:

Sounds like someone never spent time on the gamefaqs forums

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

You can't have a small less popular thread in the game forum as it's too busy. Which kind of sucks for smaller games. I'm not bitter my poor Slipways thread didn't take off or my Storybook Brawl thread just had me in it. Noooooo not at all!

You can totally have smaller threads, thanks to the Bookmarks feature, just not for games that literally no one else is interested in discussing

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

You can totally have smaller threads, thanks to the Bookmarks feature, just not for games that literally no one else is interested in discussing

They have to be seen to be bookmarked. I don't have a solution though, except maybe branching off the megathreads. The megathreads are fine clearly they're about games people want to discuss but they do kind of crowd out other games.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 12, 2021

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Suda51 should make a Tactical Espionage Action Game.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I can't play more than 5 minutes of The Last Of Us, because it drives me loving crazy that the main character won't aim straight. His drift is all over the screen. Plz don't make your survival games based on how awful it is to use the controller. TIA.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Of all the novel reasons I've heard to avoid The Last of Us, aim drift is a new one

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Reddit is ok for finding a specific bit of information, but the moment you start reading thread it's just the same things being repeated, the discussion is nearly always crap.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

sebmojo posted:

Reddit is ok for finding a specific bit of information, but the moment you start reading thread it's just the same things being repeated, the discussion is nearly always crap.

Don't forget all the bots that comment on like every drat post and then followed by people say if the bot was good or bad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The one thing that sucks about Games is that you can't really browse the forum to find interesting topics or discussions or whatever. Every thread is just "giant megathread for [game]", or possibly "small, slow megathread for [unpopular game]" so there's no real reason to visit the forum except to find+bookmark the threads about games you play.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The one thing that sucks about Games is that you can't really browse the forum to find interesting topics or discussions or whatever. Every thread is just "giant megathread for [game]", or possibly "small, slow megathread for [unpopular game]" so there's no real reason to visit the forum except to find+bookmark the threads about games you play.

That's why if you want an interesting topic or discussion about video games you make a thread in GBS.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Also no memes here.

flavor.flv posted:

You know god drat well that isn't true

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I can think of a number of exceptions to this rule, such as the mega-awesome griefing thread that ran for so long that earlier posts were usually text-and-screenshot-only because of the limitations of video platforms at the time

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my unpopular opinion is that mael stronghart from ace attorney chronicles

is larry butz's great great grandfather

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fur20 posted:

my unpopular opinion is that mael stronghart from ace attorney chronicles

is larry butz's great great grandfather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQgZ52iONU&t=5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

There is a stickied thread in the games forum that is nothing but a list of all of the game-specific threads in the games forum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952822
If you post them there so the OP can add them to the first page then more people will see them!