Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just loving lol at the idea a cook puts a thermometer in every burger the cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol my thermometer is i touch the burger maybe and see how firm it is

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I temped one once because the health inspector was there and she laughed at me for it.

And it's not just the temp of the meat. This isn't meat that's going to taste delicious in a rare burger. Gotta melt that fat into the gristly bits. The texture is remarkably unpleasant until it's warm through. Med rare is fine.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

YggiDee posted:

I don't know what the deal is in other countries but in Canada if you serve a burger under 71°C the health inspectors will have your rear end. The explanation I've been given is that the ground beef... Grinding process means any bacteria that was only on the outside of the meat may have gotten inside so it's gotta be at e.coli killing temps the whole way through.

You shave off the exterior of the meat prior to grinding it for burgers or dicing it up for tartare

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just saying, if some one is ordering a rare burger from a dive bar, let them take their own chances.

I worked at a diner where you could order something rare and we might accidently overcook it, but if we didn't you wouldn't get sick. And a kid (13ish I think, pre-puberty but barely) wanted a medium-rare burger and his parents wouldn't let him order it. I wanted to yell at them "he might not like it, but it's not gonna make him sick."

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

With the way industrial supply chains are going haywire and FDA being gutted, I'm not inclined to eat rare or raw products in restaurants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ughhhh posted:

With the way industrial supply chains are going haywire and FDA being gutted, I'm not inclined to eat rare or raw products in restaurants.

If you get sick over a burger it's more likely to be from the lettuce than the meat..

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Skwirl posted:

If you get sick over a burger it's more likely to be from the lettuce than the meat..

Ergo:

quote:

rare or raw products

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Ordering your lettuce well done

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Did you pasteurize this lettuce?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
He saw his opportunity to justify never eating vegetables and took it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm in a fast food place as opposed to a 'real' restaurant so that might make a difference.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I would like my burger topped with boiled cabbage, grilled tomatoes and fried onions good sir. I'm a pre-processitarian and cannot eat unprocessed foods. :v:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Why is that such a strange concept? When i used to live in Nepal and was a hiking guide, it was necessary to stop western tourists from eating raw foods other wise you ended up with a lot of stomach problems. Not just because of possible pathogens on the food, but because the water used to clean said products was not potable. Practically all village cooking involved heavy cooking or pickling of produce precisely because of health dangers. NJ just had a long term Boil Water warning after the Ida storm and who knows what process restaurants are using for food prep. Water and food infrastructure is failing around the country coupled with the fact that the restaurant industry is well known for cutting corners doesn't really make me confident in doing so.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
They're called "jokes"

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Alkydere posted:

I would like my burger topped with boiled cabbage, grilled tomatoes and fried onions good sir. I'm a pre-processitarian and cannot eat unprocessed foods. :v:
That sounds pretty delicious.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Boiling my food in the water that will kill me might technically be OK but I'd have a hard time with it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

fizzymercury posted:

Sub kraut for the boiled cabbage and :same:

...And then put it on a still-mooing burger just to be contrary.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sub kraut for the boiled cabbage and :same:

...And then put it on a still-mooing burger just to be contrary.

How's life outside?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

fizzymercury posted:

Yeah I realized after I posted that other than the cabbage (I think JQ is right with some nice sauerkraut) it sounds like a delicious heart attack

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

evilpicard posted:

Ordering your lettuce well done

I'm pretty sure the only time I've gotten food poisoning was from the lettuce on a BLT, tomato would be second guess.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure the only time I've gotten food poisoning was from the lettuce on a BLT, tomato would be second guess.

Scrambled eggs.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Thinking about that time when training alongside a few others on shaping and proofing pizza doughs of the three of us balling dough, one of them completely failed to rise at all, like the yeast was dead. But they all came from the same mixer batch. That dude didn't wash his hands I bet.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

What the gently caress is this poo poo guys why is it brown

Clean your freezers

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My new Danskos showed up and apparently when I ordered them I ordered a size 12 womens not mens so now I gotta return them and maybe I'll have new work shoes in about a month.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My dining hall is back in business for fully in-person, indoor Covid spreading. We require guests to wear masks at all times they're not eating, but unless we hire the Pinkertons or something, we're not going to have the manpower to enforce that. Not that it even loving matters, since Covid doesn't just take a time out when you're eating. And all the new plexiglass dividers do is make it more difficult for me to hear people trying to ask me if the food is gluten-free. On the plus side, our vaccination rate is sky high, so we might be one of the success stories. There's a dedicated quarantine dorm and the rumor going around is that it's getting plenty of use. But all the distancing restrictions are long gone, so having these kids three-to-a-dorm-room is guaranteeing spread. At least there's still free testing available.

Line cook has been the deadliest (for Covid) profession this whole time and I don't remember management ever talking to us about that fact. I don't even know if they know that. We had one guy die last year and that was without service, without Delta, and without "Open Biden." I guess I'm just venting. But I feel like what we're doing would be a lot safer if we... well, just didn't do it. Somebody's gotta feed these kids, though. And they're basically threatening to have mental health meltdowns and riot if classes go back to Zoom meetings, so I don't think admin is going to stomach a return to the only thing that absolutely works: keeping people the hell away from each other.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Today my boss told me that here in Washington state starting October 25th all indoor restaurant seating will require either proof of vaccination or a negative covid test within the past 72 hours. Outdoor seating will have no restrictions. His plan is to do the ol' "make the outdoor seating indoors" via tents and space heaters like we saw last year but I don't envy the FoH having to wrangle the incredulous dickheads who barely tolerate wearing a mask to their table.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Animal-Mother posted:

My dining hall is back in business for fully in-person, indoor Covid spreading. We require guests to wear masks at all times they're not eating, but unless we hire the Pinkertons or something, we're not going to have the manpower to enforce that. Not that it even loving matters, since Covid doesn't just take a time out when you're eating. And all the new plexiglass dividers do is make it more difficult for me to hear people trying to ask me if the food is gluten-free. On the plus side, our vaccination rate is sky high, so we might be one of the success stories. There's a dedicated quarantine dorm and the rumor going around is that it's getting plenty of use. But all the distancing restrictions are long gone, so having these kids three-to-a-dorm-room is guaranteeing spread. At least there's still free testing available.

Line cook has been the deadliest (for Covid) profession this whole time and I don't remember management ever talking to us about that fact. I don't even know if they know that. We had one guy die last year and that was without service, without Delta, and without "Open Biden." I guess I'm just venting. But I feel like what we're doing would be a lot safer if we... well, just didn't do it. Somebody's gotta feed these kids, though. And they're basically threatening to have mental health meltdowns and riot if classes go back to Zoom meetings, so I don't think admin is going to stomach a return to the only thing that absolutely works: keeping people the hell away from each other.

I spent most of the last year working near a large university and basically every student I talked to said "yeah, I'm not paying thousands of dollars to take loving Zoom classes ever again."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
In 2020 my uni officially changed to remote classes 45 minutes before the deadline to get a refund.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Seems to me that food trucks might help a little with this issue, provided everyone in the truck is vaccinated and tests negative anyways. People can order and eat outside and you can have the plexi shield up over the ordering window.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Coasterphreak posted:

I spent most of the last year working near a large university and basically every student I talked to said "yeah, I'm not paying thousands of dollars to take loving Zoom classes ever again."

Tuition strike. College kids have been complaining about high tuition, campus fees, book prices and bloated overpaid administration for years. This pandemic is the perfect opportunity to fight back. Student loan debt strike, too. Kick them in the balls. We're human beings, not livestock.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

At at least the university I work at, tuition has been frozen by the legislature for years. I'm pretty sure they can't even lower it, although they were able to find some funds for special "grants" for more people. That sounds great for the students, but it's not, because the legislature has also cut funding for the school by a billion percent, plus they made the university get rid of their emergency cash fund about 5 years before the pandemic hit.

Student loan debt, i'm completely with you. That poo poo is hosed. But the main reason tuitions are soaring (at least for state schools) are that the legislature has killed funding in most states.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. a student loan strike. It's not just that I stopped paying it because I wanted to buy food or pay rent instead.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Didn't someone here have a great story about cutting themselves on a banana peel? Asking for a friend.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Probably. At least a couple of us have cut ourselves on loaves of bread.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shooting Blanks posted:

Didn't someone here have a great story about cutting themselves on a banana peel? Asking for a friend.
I remembered engaging in that conversation so Good News!

pile of brown posted:

My best "weird item cut" was definitely slicing my palm open on a banana

Canuck-Errant posted:

are you guys telling me you've never heard of a banana sharpener

pile of brown posted:

I cant think of a funny way to describe it but someone had pulled a banana off the bunch and there was a strip of some of the vegetable matter at the top that dried out and somehow became razor sharp, and I expected to just be able to reach past it to grab the apples behind, and it looked like I had loving stigmata instead

/e i think it made the thread title for a bit too

stringless fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 20, 2021

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I've cut myself super bad on sugar syrup. Was making an italian meringue for a yacht cruise and was in a bit of a rush. Poured the sugar into the egg whites and then quickly sprayed out the saucepan. I went back a few minutes later to scrub it out and the sugar had turned into jagged blades and just ripped my palm open. Not good.

Anyway Hi thread I'm poohs packin I was a chef for a long time but finally exited the industry last year.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ain't nobody beating the ice cream cut, sorry

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ain't nobody beating the ice cream cut, sorry

The what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

That was me!

E: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827217&perpage=40&noseen=1#post514839878