Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

Despite the buzz around RockChip’s new RK3566, the RG552 will apparently contain a much older chip known as the RK3399. First announced back in 2016 and released the following year, the RK3399 is actually a more capable chip than the RK3566. Unfortunately it is also more power hungry and runs hotter.

It has active cooling, which.. ehhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rinkles posted:

just want to note that for my standards the vita sucks at snes. stuff is absolutely playable, but you'll get some kind of occasional hitch in a lot of games

What are you using for emulation? I haven't run into any issues yet on RetroArch, but it's a small sample size.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Does it really? Lmao. That sucks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Walla posted:

What are you using for emulation? I haven't run into any issues yet on RetroArch, but it's a small sample size.

Yup the RetroArch emulators included.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

teagone posted:

Does it really? Lmao. That sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dfwHf3hZTk

PWM fan, yep

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kirbysuperstar posted:

So does the Odin

stephenthinkpad posted:

Wait wait wait. This is Anbernic version of "Odin"? Going by model number is 5.5"? What the soc?

I guess the handheld emulation world is ready to embrace android for the next hardware cycle?

I hope somebody make a 4-4.5" version, I need something smaller than the PSP size.
The SOC sounds like it will be the RK3399

If you want a 4" version there's the MIYOO P60

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The United States posted:

So does the Odin

and the nintendo switch which i understand to be quite popular

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Weedle posted:

And the Steam Deck and all the Steam Deck-alikes. It seems to be something that everyone considers worth doing once you scale up to a certain size and form factor.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weedle posted:

Never heard of it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

So does the Odin

The SOC sounds like it will be the RK3399

If you want a 4" version there's the MIYOO P60

That looks really nice for the size.

This thing was announced 2 weeks ago and it didn't make a post in this thread?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

One of the wildest things about this web we weave called life is that similar things just exist sometimes with 0 inspiration from another thing. Despite being in similar markets, and one existing mostly because of devices made by Nintendo, this Switch Lite:

is almost 100% assuredly not inspired by the RG351M

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

That looks really nice for the size.

This thing was announced 2 weeks ago and it didn't make a post in this thread?
Right here

Obviously stuff is announced all the time lonnnnnnng before being available for purchase or preorder, see the analogue pocket, so mere announcements aren't going to be big deals on their own.

LODGE NORTH posted:

One of the wildest things about this web we weave called life is that similar things just exist sometimes with 0 inspiration from another thing. Despite being in similar markets, and one existing mostly because of devices made by Nintendo, this Switch Lite:

is almost 100% assuredly not inspired by the RG351M

Anbernic's earlier 350 era efforts had the left stick prominent so it was more like the switch, they've since rectified that mistake

Weedle
May 31, 2006

huh i guess they really are just straight-up reusing the entire rg350m shell for the 351mp, thus by "has wifi" they mean "includes an external adapter in the box." bummer

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Weedle posted:

huh i guess they really are just straight-up reusing the entire rg350m shell for the 351mp, thus by "has wifi" they mean "includes an external adapter in the box." bummer

The 351MP doesn't have the HDMI port on the top (and the headphone jack is centered), so it's not entirely reusing the same parts. They released a hands-on video of it today that hasn't been posted in this thread.

It's a shame that it doesn't have built-in wifi, making it yet another model with some flaw. But also I'm glad I have a reason not to side-grade to it given I already have a 350M and 351P.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
More hands on for the 351MP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaFzaQRXAns

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Your Anberports replacement is here: https://github.com/christianhaitian/PortMaster

Difference now is, it's focused on being 'OS agnostic' for RK3326 devices - any libraries needed are contained within it (a lot of the problem for using AP on 351Elec was that ArkOS has a lot of libraries as part of its build while Elec opts for the other way to have a cleaner image). Controls are configured for a bunch of systems using the chipset.

The script itself currently doesn't run on anything but Ark, but you can grab the port ZIPs from the repo and load them yourself.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The RG351MP is for sale now at Anbernic's official site, shipping from China. Just ordered a black one with the extra $32 for fast shipping (not rich, just stupid).

It did end up not having internal wifi, though not for the reason Dodo stated, so I've got one of these U-shaped adapters coming also. Other than that and the lack of a fn button, it's still pretty much the perfect retro handheld until something in the same size that can handle Gamecube/PS2 exists, and I expect that's going to be more years out than I care to wait.

Custom OS's are going to be a while, because while the devs are getting free units from Anbernic, they aren't getting them any earlier than the rest of us.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is the MP chipset the exact same as the 351V? Could I order one and just pop the cards over? That would be easy and nice, I may try one.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Is the MP chipset the exact same as the 351V? Could I order one and just pop the cards over? That would be easy and nice, I may try one.

No, it's different. In the Discord a couple people have messed with it; ArkOS doesn't boot at all, apparently 351Elec finishes loading but then can't find the controller.

That said, the ArkOS dev, who for the past several months has only been working on the V image, has said that [paraphrasing] he'll totally be doing active development on the MP if it works as well as the V has.

Edit: Incidentally, I forget if I've said crap in this thread about not needing a second analog stick due to the limited systems it can emulate; but I'm really looking forward to having one after seeing how well the ports of doom, quake, etc work on the v. If these ports get migrated to the MP with the extra stick for aiming, that's actually gonna be really sweet.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 15, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh ok, good looking out. I’ll wait until there’s a proper 351elec update.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ChiTownEddie posted:

More hands on for the 351MP
Here's some Retro Game Corps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tSiYJof3dw

lol at the incredibly incompetent rom setups and emulator configurations they have as default, trying to paper it over with a pretty emuelec interface

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 15, 2021

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Rinkles posted:

Yup the RetroArch emulators included.

Yeah I also thought the emulation on the vita was really lacking. Snes and gba games both had enough glitches and weird poo poo that it just wasn’t worth it. Forget n64. PS1 stuff seemed mostly ok though. And the native ports of ps2 games sucked because they had to map either r1 or r2 to the rear touchpad lol. I mostly use mine to play psp games. Should have probably just picked up a psp.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah I also thought the emulation on the vita was really lacking. Snes and gba games both had enough glitches and weird poo poo that it just wasn’t worth it. Forget n64. PS1 stuff seemed mostly ok though. And the native ports of ps2 games sucked because they had to map either r1 or r2 to the rear touchpad lol. I mostly use mine to play psp games. Should have probably just picked up a psp.

Can concur. Had a fair amount of issues emulating games with my Vita. Plus the ui was just clunky and not a simple to use retro machine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I thought GBA was fine. With the newer emulators I could even turbo at a decent pace.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

GBA in particular got a LOT better on Vita once they figured out how to enable GPU acceleration

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a razer Kishi-like controller for micro-usb?

I happened upon a Galaxy S7 Edge, and it must have been like the last phone made with micro-usb, because it’s not super old but it still has it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I happened upon a Galaxy S7 Edge, and it must have been like the last phone made with micro-usb, because it’s not super old but it still has it
Make your own I guess:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J5B3BR

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Probably best to get the $20 BT ones. They work well enough and are pretty cheap.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RetroArch is finally releasing on Steam just in time for SteamDeck devkits going out

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1118310/RetroArch/

MarcusSA posted:

Probably best to get the $20 BT ones. They work well enough and are pretty cheap.
I would always pick a wired connection over wireless but I guess if you can't squeeze an adapter inside a razer or gamesir wired version then a gamesir bluetooth will work, but it's not $20, and I don't think there are any kishi-style ones for $20.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There are only 2 usbc gamepad, both of them are $70 each, which is more expensive than your galaxy s7.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would always pick a wired connection over wireless but I guess if you can't squeeze an adapter inside a razer or gamesir wired version then a gamesir bluetooth will work, but it's not $20, and I don't think there are any kishi-style ones for $20.

Yeah I agree with the wired connection but yeah you aren't gonna get that adapter in there.

I just looked at the BT one I bought late last year and it was $25 and it was pretty highly rated but it looks like that isn't around anymore.

This one is $39 and I remember some retro you tubers recommending it back in the day

https://www.amazon.com/PG-9167-Wire...1774838&sr=8-20

This is essentially the one I bought but its got a different name and a higher price.

https://www.amazon.com/XFUNY-Contro...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If you care to wait 4 weeks the Ipega one is like $26 or so on Ali
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...002675686_2&s=p

Edit: The ETA Prime recommended the Ipega one and the one I bought which was the [BEBONCOOL Mobile Telescopic controller.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 16, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I bought the ipega one when it was on sale for <$20 last year, but I ordered the v90 at the same time so I haven't used it all that much

I can tell you that all the buttons and sticks work and it holds a charge, but watch out if you're trying to use it with a particularly big phone. The Samsung s20 FE just barely fits without a case

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
That damned hockey puck shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgQXt8LOjk4

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I know this thread has historically been focused around portable units (I read all 44 pages since last night).
I’ve got more of a focus on home consoles. I actually own a ton of them, but just ordered a poly mega.
Mainly I bought it so I dont need to plug in my Saturn, ps1, etc at the same time but also I like to play one older stuff with the kids so I bought the huge pack with all the adapters for nes, snes, genesis, tg16. The only thing that is kind of irking me is the lack of support for everdrive / flash cart. I read something maybe on Twitter or something in which they had said no flash carts, but then said “if it runs on real hardware it will run on poly mega”.

Does anyone her have one yet? Has anyone actually tried using an everdrive or clone in one?
My order number is under 3000, so I would expect I’ll be getting mine in the first few runs which say they will ship in 1st half 2022.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I’ve always viewed the Polymega as a half assed, closed off MiSTer. Ironically, the only thing you’d be missing is the two consoles you’re looking for — Saturn and PS1. I believe PS1 development is going like, really drat well. Not so sure on Saturn but last I heard, it was near release too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Is there any reason why this thread isn't in the Retro Games subforum?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Kins posted:

"It gets no traffic". Which is a self fulfilling thing but, well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Kins posted:

It’s really the “third party consoles” thread, in hindsight I made the title too specific. Portable retro stuff is talked about plenty but modern-gaming Windows handhelds and stationary console chat is welcome here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also the Steam Deck has its own thread which I assume most Windows handhelds get talked about in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

"It gets no traffic". Which is a self fulfilling thing but, well.
The traffic that subforum does get is incredibly intelligent and good looking, down to the last. If this thread's inhabitants want to disqualify themselves from that category, well, that's a them problem. :colbert: