Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

i havent but it doesnt seem like you get much in relation to how much everything costs. you can safely sell armor right?

You can. Also if you haven't unlocked fishing yet that can be a huge source of free cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

abraham linksys posted:

got the second lord. used like 6 life bottles, 10 apple gels, and 8 orange gels, gonna have to replace those

did yall manage to beat his second cast of the big AOE? by putting 50% lightness defense artifact on shionne she managed to survive it okay and i popped life bottles to get people up, but wow, i dunno how you'd beat that dps race if that's the actual intent

I think it’s basically impossible the first time, but your characters should survive it. The second time at the end of the fight it’s a race and can certainly be done, though I messed it up and failed when he had only 120 hp left.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I gotta admit

Shionne is the most unlikable character in a video game in ages. I really *really* hope this changes because boy do I hate every time she talks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ImpAtom posted:

You can. Also if you haven't unlocked fishing yet that can be a huge source of free cash.

Yeah once you can fish you can scrape together money pretty fast. I bought the digital deluxe with gift vouchers tho and it came with a pile of money lol. So I'm playing a book keeping game where I try to not go into "debt".

It's pretty hilarious how many items you can buy with real cash so you don't have to grind as much

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

abraham linksys posted:

got the second lord. used like 6 life bottles, 10 apple gels, and 8 orange gels, gonna have to replace those

did yall manage to beat his second cast of the big AOE? by putting 50% lightness defense artifact on shionne she managed to survive it okay and i popped life bottles to get people up, but wow, i dunno how you'd beat that dps race if that's the actual intent

I was level 17 average on Normal and I beat it fine.

Whole fight I only used two treats and two orange gels, hopefully means I'm getting more of a hang of the combat system...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao, the minute (I assume late into the second area spoiler) Zephyr joined the party when leaving the starting country I was like "welp, this guy's hosed; he's the same template as the mercenary dude from Xenoblade 2." It was also amusingly obvious that glasses guy was a bad guy (though I didn't specifically predict him actually being the lord).

Gameplay-wise, is Law good as a player-controlled character? Seems like he would benefit from the player being able to ensure he doesn't get hit as much and keeps combos up. I tried playing as owl girl for a while, and while the big magics were fun I kept getting owned because it seems hard to get out of casting to dodge.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I gotta admit

Shionne is the most unlikable character in a video game in ages. I really *really* hope this changes because boy do I hate every time she talks.

Even the friendly protagonist seems to have trouble dealing with it. Definitely turned the "tsun" a few levels too high.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm gonna be real bummed when Balseph dies if only because I won't get to hear his name anymore.

Balseph was the game's real protagonist so this one is a lot like Legendia where most of the content was in the "epilogue".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I gotta admit

What do you find so bad about her?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

What do you find so bad about her?

She sucks rear end, hth.

Everything is so dour, there is not even a slight ounce of joy in anything she does. Im like 8 hours in and know absolutely nothing about why she’s doing anything, what her motives are, what she knows but isn’t telling us, and all the non-plot stuff she’s involved in is stuff like “I-I’m not hungry *stomach gurgles*” “I-I’m not sneezing, achoo”

It’s insufferable.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 13, 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Paul Zuvella posted:

She sucks rear end, hth.

Everything is so dour, there is not even a slight ounce of joy in anything she does. Im like 8 hours in and know absolutely nothing about why she’s doing anything, what her motives are, what she knows but isn’t telling us, and all the non-plot stuff she’s involved in is stuff like “I-I’m not hungry *stomach gurgles*” “I-I’m not sneezing, achoo”

It’s insufferable.

It's this and she's just so nasty to everyone. Also doesn't help she seems to be a space racist??? Like if she was rude or brash that's one thing but she's just lovely to everyone. I'm not that stupid I know it's 'I don't want people getting close due to thorns' or whatever but every scene is everyone talking about plans or what the world means to her and she's standing in the corner going "I hate all of you I just want to leave."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's this and she's just so nasty to everyone. Also doesn't help she seems to be a space racist??? Like if she was rude or brash that's one thing but she's just lovely to everyone. I'm not that stupid I know it's 'I don't want people getting close due to thorns' or whatever but every scene is everyone talking about plans or what the world means to her and she's standing in the corner going "I hate all of you I just want to leave."

You sure, she normally stays fairly quiet unless talked to, and tends only to be hostile if hostility is directed at her. But she seems fundamentally kind, despite not wanting to be, which is why she tries to brush off people being nice to her or her doing good things.

She explains more of her deal as the game goes on, and from where I am at everyone but Rinwell seems to more or less get along with her.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You could say she's got a

thorny personality

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

All of these statements could also describe Tear in Abyss for a decent chunk of that game. Granted she's also dealing with Luke who is a huge shithead which is a decent excuse but still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shionne has reasonably good reasons for her behavior but a lot of it can be explained pretty simply as "I am unable to have any sort of normal social interaction with literally anyone because I am a pariah from two different societies both on a social level and because I literally electrify anyone who so much as brushes my skin." Like more gets explained later on but I don't think they need to go out of their way to explain her standoffishness early on. When literally everyone you meets considers you some kind of monster except the one weirdo in an iron mask you're not going to be prone to making friends.

The exact reason she is so incredibly abrasive towards attempts to be kind is explained later on as well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Found a Hootle plushie for 14bux on aliexpress

Hootle owns. I hope Rinwell gets some more spells soon because she's starting to lag behind a bit, even with spell charges.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

All of these statements could also describe Tear in Abyss for a decent chunk of that game. Granted she's also dealing with Luke who is a huge shithead which is a decent excuse but still.

I don't think this checks out because Tear was only, understandably, like that to Luke and was somewhat stoic, but still respectful to literally everyone else in the party.

Shionne usually doesn't have an off-switch to anyone besides occasional food/fashion stuff and I can understand how people would find that to be grating as hell

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The only person Tear was activly hostile to was Luke and he deserved it.

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I gotta admit

lol, this game is absolutely the worst bottom tier anime trope fest I've played in a long while. OMG the prickly aloof caustic personality actually has a heart of gold because she keeps healing randos and the party! I can't slam the button prompt through her skits fast enough (we get it, you are single minded and driven). Hell, I just struggled not to skip Zephyr's entire execution monologue, because you can't skip through chunks of his awful rear end dialogue piecemeal and I thought I might miss a plot element by bypassing the whole thing. Schade on me I guess.

mod note: edited in spoiler tags, I have no idea which parts are the spoilers so I erred on the safe side

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 13, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Maybe get a refund?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also maybe chill a bit in general

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I mean if you don't want over the top anime speeches about courage and friendship you are in the completely wrong series. Tales has sold on being ridiculous anime absurdity for most of it's lifetime.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I haven't actually gotten to it yet but they're telegraphing what I'm assuming is going to be the twist really hard by having Shionne conspicuously grimace every time "Dannon history" is mentioned. I'm guessing we're eventually going to learn that the Dannons actually started it and despoiled the Ren world somehow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I haven't actually gotten to it yet but they're telegraphing what I'm assuming is going to be the twist really hard by having Shionne conspicuously grimace every time "Dannon history" is mentioned. I'm guessing we're eventually going to learn that the Dannons actually started it and despoiled the Ren world somehow.

Minor plot spoiler
Thankfully no, that is not where the plot ends up going.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I understand the comparisons between Shionne and Tear but they seem unfair to Tear. With Tear, you pretty much always understand why she's being brusque, because it's Luke and Luke is a complete poo poo to everyone at that point. And while Tear did conceal her motives for a long-rear end time, the way Abyss is structured meant your moment-to-moment goals weren't really relevant to those motives. Shionne, by contrast, is probably more active than Alphen is in terms of setting the party's course, which makes her categoric refusal to tell anyone why she's doing anything extremely frustrating.

I'm sure there's a good reason for her general unpleasantness, but the whole point is that we don't know what that is early on and it makes the character really hard to latch onto. The story needs to give the player a better sense of why we should care about this character.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm at the point where I've defeated the fourth lord. Without spoiling, how much do I have left to go? It feels like the halfway point but I've got a nagging feeling that I'm actually approaching the endgame. Or maybe that's just my experiences with both Xillia games, Zestiria and Berseria being so short and/or kinda unfinished getting me paranoid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm at the point where I've defeated the fourth lord. Without spoiling, how much do I have left to go? It feels like the halfway point but I've got a nagging feeling that I'm actually approaching the endgame. Or maybe that's just my experiences with both Xillia games, Zestiria and Berseria being so short and/or kinda unfinished getting me paranoid.

You are nowhere near the endgame.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i finally caved and dropped it to story on the 5th lords dungeon. theres a boss fight in there that made me glad i did it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm just behind you fourth lord anime reveal and I was wondering too. I kind of assumed I'm half way through the main story content.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You are nowhere near the endgame.

Great thanks. That's what I hoped to hear.

After a plot reveal like that, I sure as well hope it wouldn't end so soon

It's just, I remember having the same thoughts about Elympios in Xillia, thinking I was at halfway point and then it ended three hours later.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm at the part of the story concerning the third Lord and I like Shionne a lot; her prickly attitude I find makes the instances in which her kindness pokes through shine all the more. Makes me excited to see when she finally decides to open up more.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

its hosed up hootle wasnt named hootie

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Every time that Shionne says "just a blip on my radar" after a battle I want to know if she even knows what a radar is. Considering I see these guys having people use old timey levers to drive trains around instead of at least combustion engines. Maybe that's a late game spoiler to find out they have aircraft...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PancakeTransmission posted:

Every time that Shionne says "just a blip on my radar" after a battle I want to know if she even knows what a radar is. Considering I see these guys having people use old timey levers to drive trains around instead of at least combustion engines. Maybe that's a late game spoiler to find out they have aircraft...

Her people arrived in starfighters.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

JBP posted:

Her people arrived in starfighters.

Disney is gonna sue the hell out of Bamco for that X-Wing coming in and strafing the party with it's lasers as that one bosses mystic arte.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I do wonder if this game is going to be completely serious the entire time.

Last tales I played was Bersaria and I remember it having a really hosed up intro and took itself seriously- but midgame I remember it lightning up somewhat or least not being *that* bleak. Here I'm crawling around concentration camps and I'm just 'oh man this game might not even have a hot springs scene or something!'

I'm fooling myself on that one. There's no escaping that trope in a Tales game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I do wonder if this game is going to be completely serious the entire time.

Last tales I played was Bersaria and I remember it having a really hosed up intro and took itself seriously- but midgame I remember it lightning up somewhat or least not being *that* bleak. Here I'm crawling around concentration camps and I'm just 'oh man this game might not even have a hot springs scene or something!'

I'm fooling myself on that one. There's no escaping that trope in a Tales game.

Have you been to the Owl Forest yet?

PancakeTransmission posted:

It isn't a late game spoiler it is literally the entire premise of the game. Her people came from another planet in spaceships. She uses a teleporting gun.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Watching my friend play this game and watching this story and holy poo poo this part sucks hard!

Kisara melting down when Dolahim says "I only helped because I wanted to stop hearing people scream in pain" as if, like, that by itself isn't a good reason to do what he is doing? Framing it like this is so dumb my brain is melting at how overwrought this drama is. Like drat this is pretty awful. And I bet it's going to be some dumb thing where there's an arc where Kisara slowly gets faith back in him or something as if... he wasn't already doing what they wanted? Even if his motive is "selfish". It would have been better if he actually did something to betray her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Rude posted:

Watching my friend play this game and watching this story and holy poo poo this part sucks hard!

Kisara melting down when Dolahim says "I only helped because I wanted to stop hearing people scream in pain" as if, like, that by itself isn't a good reason to do what he is doing? Framing it like this is so dumb my brain is melting at how overwrought this drama is. Like drat this is pretty awful. And I bet it's going to be some dumb thing where there's an arc where Kisara slowly gets faith back in him or something as if... he wasn't already doing what they wanted? Even if his motive is "selfish". It would have been better if he actually did something to betray her.

You didn't actually understand what was happening in that scene. Dolahim said the only reason he was doing what he did was because he, personally, didn't want to be reminded of something bad in his past and that means he had no real intention of living up to the ideals she believed in. Her brother literally died moments before thinking Dolahim was a genuine believer who wanted to do good things for their people and she finds out literally the moment after he dies that Dolahim was actually like "No, it just makes me feel bad to hear people in pain, I didn't really care what happens after I'm gone.

The key there is that Kisara and her brother both put all their faith into Dolahim that he was actually fighting for a sustained peaceful kingdom for their people to the point her brother died trying to prove to him the rot that lay beneath. And it turned out that, no, he just was sort of doing the bare minimum to not be a shithead with no long term plans or actual skin in the game of fighting for their independence. He did betray her because, again, literally after her brother died because he believed entirely and wholeheartedly that Dol was on their side he revealed that he was more being selfish and had no intention of living up to her brother's dying wishes.

It is in fact probably arguably the most realistic depiction of a lovely harmful leader in the game because he isn't a cackling madman out to harm people. He just makes a lot of promises for a better future, makes some relatively easy changes, and doesn't do a single thing to assure that if he suddenly dies tomorrow the people who've come to trust him won't be back in slave chains before sundown. Especially keep in mind that Kisara is old enough to remember the slave times and had wholeheartedly bought into the idea that things had changed. It's a tremendous betrayal of trust. (And one which you can easily point to some modern-day politicians of doing to vulnerable or oppressed groups.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 13, 2021

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Dohalim is not an enlightened ruler, just an apathetic one. He has no taste for suffering due to his own traumas but he does the surface level bare minimum of maintaining peace between the two races. He has no long term goals or plans to maintain coexistence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I've never played a Tales game before and have grown to like JRPGs and I could use a nice earnest linear story right now, so I think I'm going to pick this up. Is it possible to play with KBM or should I bust out a controller?