Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Also on a pedantic comics nerd note why the gently caress is lightning man fighting suit full of air man. What the gently caress is lightning going to do to that. Why isn't he fighting The Nailgun or Baron The Baron Made Of Can Openers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Batiuk made his cool new Air Elemental Hero look like the villain on his fake comic book cover.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I suspect what happened is the cover he's based this on has the villain and hero in the opposite positions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe he copied another fake comic

(No he just sucks)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "254 - Jucika And The Capricious Winter"

"255 - Jucika's Touching Complaint"

"Panasziroda = Complaints Department"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Doomykins posted:

it's poetic idiocy that Batiuk is so bad at his half-assed fictional capes that he committed enormous Comics Marketing 101 blunders here. The hero is using the villain's pose and colors and the villain is using the hero's pose and colors. Static, sinister purple in a pose of authority/power with a robotic/soulless appearance vs a dynamic human clear-faced attacker in noble blue challenging him. You could forgive some of this since Atmos' entire gimmick is he's the suit but all of it together.

hell, Atmos clearly looks like Mysterio and Killerwatt clearly has a hero's calling card with The Flash bolts on his head.. laffo

Immediately clocked it as a Spiderman cover. Sure enough GIS brings up multiple like that where you have Mysterio where Batiuk put his hero.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 13, 2021

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Doomykins posted:

it's poetic idiocy that Batiuk is so bad at his half-assed fictional capes that he committed enormous Comics Marketing 101 blunders here. The hero is using the villain's pose and colors and the villain is using the hero's pose and colors. Static, sinister purple in a pose of authority/power with a robotic/soulless appearance vs a dynamic human clear-faced attacker in noble blue challenging him. You could forgive some of this since Atmos' entire gimmick is he's the suit but all of it together.

hell, Atmos clearly looks like Mysterio and Killerwatt clearly has a hero's calling card with The Flash bolts on his head.. laffo

Yeah, it's the first issue. If it's not an established hero, you kind of need to show some indication of what the hero can do on the cover.

What does Killerwatt do? Well, he has electrical powers. He throws lightning bolts. He seems nimble, maybe he can fly.

What does Doctor Atmos do? Well, he...exudes a pink mist? It's poisonous, maybe?

maltesh fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 13, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

For me the pose immediately read as Magneto.

Regardless of the 'inspiration', the trope is so well worn that I didn't even realise the helmeted guy was the titular hero until Doomykins' post pointing it out.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

That 100 Demons gave me childhood flashbacks, but in a cathartic way. There's something healing about the acknowledgement of something knotted and shattered, sometimes.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I scrolled back up to see what you were talking about and only then realized that I had misidentified the hero and villain on my first look. I'm not even really a comic book reader, but I seem to have absorbed enough that the shorthand still clicked. I kind of wonder if Batiuk was just determined that his new character has to look like a badass on his cover, even though it messes up all the visual cues.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
Gonna be mad if it's 'if you were deaf in one ear then surely you couldn't hear me at all when I was shouting into it :smug:'.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake+Johnny Hazard=Not on Sundays

90s Overboard

Hey, it's the 'cartoonist appears in the strip' gag except it was funny back then!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Count me in the group of people that just scrolled by the Funky comic assuming the helmeted guy with purple hands was the villain until I saw someone say that the hero and villain poses were swapped and scrolled back up, and holy poo poo. I'm starting to question if he's actually read a comic book in his life.

Haifisch posted:

Gonna be mad if it's 'if you were deaf in one ear then surely you couldn't hear me at all when I was shouting into it :smug:'.

I think they're supposed to be whispering, so yeah it's probably going to be "If you were deaf in your left ear, you wouldn't have heard what I was whispering, only my dad, so you wouldn't have gotten confused."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"The farm has gone under, I'm going to have to get a factory job. You can be a normal housewife. Isn't that wonderful?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Strontium posted:

Give Bettwy the Mark Trail gig, loving master of dramatic storytelling

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

My Lovely Horse posted:

Give Bettwy the Mark Trail gig, loving master of dramatic storytelling

Left two plot threads dangling. 1) Why Tinkerson didn't have red pepper flakes on his pizza and 2) Where he decided to go get lunch.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

PetraCore posted:

That 100 Demons gave me childhood flashbacks, but in a cathartic way. There's something healing about the acknowledgement of something knotted and shattered, sometimes.

That’s such a good way to put it. Every teen has their outlook “shattered” in a way as part of becoming an adult, but Barry really bridges that gap between teen trauma and trauma trauma. She’s such a genius, and a born teacher.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Doomykins posted:

lmfao just scrolling by i definitely thought Atmos was the villain here, wtf

Strontium posted:

:dance:

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

No Rae the Doe just yet.....maybe in the morning.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Fingerpori
-The Finns have a casual attitude to the masks
-I haven't used a mask for six months...
-...and no one has said anything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens
That was just an ordinary cat, doing what cats do. What "lesson" is it supposed to learn? "Don't be a cat"?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mark Trail

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Strontium posted:

I feel bad that the bartender had everything below his waist amputated but I'm pretty sure just sitting on the counter like that is some kind of health violation

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Strontium posted:

How did the shark get into the bar? :coolfish:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/12/01

Brenda Starr 3/16/47

I'm pretty sure Rocky is supposed to be red with irritation/embarrassment in that last panel, not suddenly suntanned or wearing blackface.

Smokey Stover 4/18/43

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

That was just an ordinary cat, doing what cats do. What "lesson" is it supposed to learn? "Don't be a cat"?

Why would you call animal control on it? It was a cat, trying to eat a bird, that then fought another cat. I could have my neighbour's cats destroyed for their daily behaviour in my garden under those rules.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

goatface posted:

Why would you call animal control on it? It was a cat, trying to eat a bird, that then fought another cat. I could have my neighbour's cats destroyed for their daily behaviour in my garden under those rules.

In some places, cats aren't allowed to roam freely, so you can trap them and have them collected; if they're pets, they're returned to their owner (who has to pay a fine). I don't know if that applies to wherever Safe Havens is set, or if "animal control" is the correct organisation to contact if it does, but that was my assumption.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

goatface posted:

Ostensibly, it's now a cat that mauled a human badly enough to put her in the hospital.

Animal control should probably be looking for this cat regardless of the DNA wizard's desires, if DNA magic is as covert as it sometimes appears to be.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I suppose the implication is that it's feral.

Or maybe Holbrook didn't think too hard.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
But it mauled another cat, not a human. She got turned into a human after.

This is like picking at an open wound, I now it's bad but I can't stop. Holbrook comics have a way of just going straight to the "wait a loving minute" part of the brain.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Cicadalek posted:

But it mauled another cat, not a human. She got turned into a human after.

This is like picking at an open wound, I now it's bad but I can't stop. Holbrook comics have a way of just going straight to the "wait a loving minute" part of the brain.

I don't think anyone knows she was a cat at the time of the mauling, except for the DNA wizard and friends.

Oh, and the cat, I guess. All animals are sentient in this setting, so I guess he could say so if captured?

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Dude, you're a security guard who claims to have fallen asleep during a robbery, where you are the only suspect. Maybe you shouldn't be so indignant about the secrets the chief of police's ten-year-old son is telling him.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

they're all so happy about that marching band :allears:

Strontium posted:

:sickos:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Postin’ from the road this week

Nancy 1946

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 23, 1947)

"Next week - America!" Tomorrow we will start a storyline (which overlaps with Ulfrun's story obviously) in which Val spends some time in what we would today call North America and interacts quite heavily with the locals. By the standards of the 1940s I think this whole adventure is pretty okay - if you remember the story where Val went to sub-Saharan Africa and visited a village being terrorized by gorillas, I'd say it's kind of in line with that. This story, however, is much longer, and there are some elements that, let's say, haven't aged well. I don't think anything really rises to the level of being super offensive or anything, but you should anticipate a few of the tropes you might expect in a story about "Indians."

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 31, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 26-27, 1989)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When she magicked back into a person, do you think the cat scratches stayed cat scratch sized or does that woman have gouges out of her like she was mauled by a tiger?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

goatface posted:

When she magicked back into a person, do you think the cat scratches stayed cat scratch sized or does that woman have gouges out of her like she was mauled by a tiger?

Well, she was hospitalized.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 23, 1947)

Once again the little details make this. Val's beard and the sunken cheeks on both him and Ulfrun after being at sea far too long.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Sylvia

100 Demons: Hate

I wonder what swear little Lynda is using...probably something she picked up from Mary Worth