Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah Dohalim is not an enlightened ruler, just an apathetic one. He has no taste for suffering due to his own traumas but he does the surface level bare minimum of maintaining peace between the two races. He has no long term goals or plans to maintain coexistence.

Yeah I quite liked this little twist. I enjoyed that he had literally no endgame and was just going to let the next lord do whatever they felt like. Same goes for all the region's after one. I think they've all had a neat gimmick where you don't just pitch up and kill the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't a late game spoiler it is literally the entire premise of the game. Her people came from another planet in spaceships. She uses a teleporting gun.
Magic explains everything away. Also you're right, i didn't even think about how they travel between the planets but I haven't seen a single spaceship yet :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

Yeah I quite liked this little twist. I enjoyed that he had literally no endgame and was just going to let the next lord do whatever they felt like. Same goes for all the region's after one. I think they've all had a neat gimmick where you don't just pitch up and kill the boss.

Yeah, I feel like it's important to note that the Crown Contest specifically does not reward good leadership in any way, shape or form. Dol's relatively good area only works because he doesn't care about winning or long-term consequences. In comparison the people around him are unbelievable monsters because that is specifically what the system asks from the people who it chooses. Since torture and misery (and Hollowing) give more precious magic then any sort of long-term sustainability you have people in charge whose entire goal is short-term profits for their own gain without caring about what comes down the line.

(It's almost like it is a blunt metaphor for capitalism.)

PancakeTransmission posted:

Magic explains everything away. Also you're right, i didn't even think about how they travel between the planets but I haven't seen a single spaceship yet :colbert:

They show them in the opening!

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

PancakeTransmission posted:

They show the ships in the games opening cutscene

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah I really really liked the third Lord Zones plot because it makes a lot of really good points and plays extremely well with the initial tropes it sets up.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ImpAtom posted:

You didn't actually understand what was happening in that scene. Dolahim said the only reason he was doing what he did was because he, personally, didn't want to be reminded of something bad in his past and that means he had no real intention of living up to the ideals she believed in. Her brother literally died moments before thinking Dolahim was a genuine believer who wanted to do good things for their people and she finds out literally the moment after he dies that Dolahim was actually like "No, it just makes me feel bad to hear people in pain, I didn't really care what happens after I'm gone.

The key there is that Kisara and her brother both put all their faith into Dolahim that he was actually fighting for a sustained peaceful kingdom for their people to the point her brother died trying to prove to him the rot that lay beneath. And it turned out that, no, he just was sort of doing the bare minimum to not be a shithead with no long term plans or actual skin in the game of fighting for their independence. He did betray her because, again, literally after her brother died because he believed entirely and wholeheartedly that Dol was on their side he revealed that he was more being selfish and had no intention of living up to her brother's dying wishes.

It is in fact probably arguably the most realistic depiction of a lovely harmful leader in the game because he isn't a cackling madman out to harm people. He just makes a lot of promises for a better future, makes some relatively easy changes, and doesn't do a single thing to assure that if he suddenly dies tomorrow the people who've come to trust him won't be back in slave chains before sundown. Especially keep in mind that Kisara is old enough to remember the slave times and had wholeheartedly bought into the idea that things had changed. It's a tremendous betrayal of trust. (And one which you can easily point to some modern-day politicians of doing to vulnerable or oppressed groups.)

I think it was overwrought because it read more like to me Dolahim JUST finished reliving some really godawful trauma, and at such a low point he is going to have a very low opinion of himself. He's obviously depressed and her reaction is to scream and threaten to kill him. It just felt really contrived in the moment. I think if the writers wanted to illustrate that his attitude is such a betrayal it would have been much more impactful and purposeful if he had to make a choice or attempt do something he claimed would help, then would coward out after all. Dumping that conversation right after Kisara's brother died just felt rushed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are several skits covering that nuance after the next dungeon, so the game does go out of its way to make sure its point is understood.

The game is both pro revolution and eternal revolution.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Rude posted:

I think it was overwrought because it read more like to me Dolahim JUST finished reliving some really godawful trauma, and at such a low point he is going to have a very low opinion of himself. He's obviously depressed and her reaction is to scream and threaten to kill him. It just felt really contrived in the moment. I think if the writers wanted to illustrate that his attitude is such a betrayal it would have been much more impactful and purposeful if he had to make a choice or attempt do something he claimed would help, then would coward out after all. Dumping that conversation right after Kisara's brother died just felt rushed.

I mean it's sort of weird that you're excusing his behavior as 'he just had a low moment' while ignoring the fact that Kisara literally just saw her brother die in front of her. And it would have to be right after her brother died because that is the entire point. Dol freaks out because someone literally killed themselves in front of him to try to prove a point about something he wasn't actually serious about. This plays very specifically into the trauma because he killed his friend on instinct despite not actually caring that much about the Crown Contest. Someone else died right in front of him because they cared about something more than he did.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish I didn't just slam claim all the deluxe DLC. It comes with so much op stuff I didn't even realise was on. It's nice to not have to grind and enjoy the story and battles I suppose but some of it is over the top and I feel like my characters are really skewed in power already. You also can't disable the items or discard them.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

JBP posted:

I wish I didn't just slam claim all the deluxe DLC. It comes with so much op stuff I didn't even realise was on. It's nice to not have to grind and enjoy the story and battles I suppose but some of it is over the top and I feel like my characters are really skewed in power already. You also can't disable the items or discard them.

You can disable them, go to Field Guide->Artifacts and then hit Y (or Triangle or whatever)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Oh God the plant buffs are PERMANENT? I just like doubled everyone's stats or close to it. I'm in third lord area and I never touched one until now. If there was a tool tip about this I Def missed it.

I'm playing on hard so this should make fights more bearable now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Traxis posted:

You can disable them, go to Field Guide->Artifacts and then hit Y (or Triangle or whatever)

Thank you! I never would have worked this out. I'll just cop being ahead of the curve and pretend I spent an hour fishing. I noticed I was thrashing everything on moderate so I might go to hard and it will naturally balance out since I'm no where near the end

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeesh the boss in Este Luvah is a bit of spike in difficulty, huh? I was managing until the loving adds spawned in and went ham on the entire party. Considering this is the first Tales game designs with no multiplayer in mind it would be really cool if your party AI wasn't dumb as loving rocks and actually tried to dodge out of the way of attacks once in their loving miserable lives.

re: all the comments about Shionne being awful: keep playing at least up through the fourth lord's area. Her character is a bit of a Luke-lite situation and things do get better.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the party does a better job at not dying to mechanics if you aren’t face first against the boss trying to hit him. When the boss starts doing big gently caress off attacks chances are it’ll target the character you are controlling, don’t blow up your AI trying to score a few more hits on the mob in these cases

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do you think that Alphen stinks like burning flesh whereever he goes?

Anyway, Hail Satan.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Love when Alphen pulls out the flaming sword dramatically only to roast his entire arm again

Just drat dude I know you can't feel pain but maybe cool it on burning your arm to ash just to look cool for nobody.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it's sort of weird that you're excusing his behavior as 'he just had a low moment' while ignoring the fact that Kisara literally just saw her brother die in front of her. And it would have to be right after her brother died because that is the entire point. Dol freaks out because someone literally killed themselves in front of him to try to prove a point about something he wasn't actually serious about. This plays very specifically into the trauma because he killed his friend on instinct despite not actually caring that much about the Crown Contest. Someone else died right in front of him because they cared about something more than he did.

Also on this Kisara does not actually hate Dohalim even after he reveals the truth. She just sad and angry at the moment, and just needed some time to calm down.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Thinking about how people are having problems with the Lord boss fights, i wouldn't really say it's necessarily the amount of health they have that's the problem or the fact they have very distinct phases now. It's just that you can't go into every boss fight fully loaded up with healing gels of all kinds and life bottles maxed out and it really kinda shows how much you generally rely on those in Tales games.

Instead you gotta go in with maybe 4-6 healing gels and 1 or 2 Life Bottles at best and you just gotta deal with it. Hope you don't have to heal or res too much since you'll pretty quickly run through your CP if you don't micromanage your party enough to avoid damage that the AI will gladly throw themselves into.

I've noticed you don't really get to stagger the lords easily either so it's not really a case of them breaking out of your combo and then they kick your rear end, they will just kinda stand around for a bit doing nothing and THEN do an attack that will kick your rear end unless you dodge out of the way. Because they are still very capable of just launching into a combo that takes a character from full health to dead in a few seconds and there isn't anything you can do about it unless you can use a boost attack to make them stop.But if you can't make them stop and that character dies you only have 2 or 3 life bottles as opposed to the full 15 or maybe 10 you'd normally be carrying into a boss fight.

All of that said though, i do greatly appreciate that mystic artes are much more obvious and telegraphed now and you can even dodge them on occasion! I always hated that in other games the boss will just be attacking normally or doing a combo and then suddenly you've taken 3k damage to the whole party because they just decided it was time to use one now and poor baby Laphicet just happen to wander too close by while trying to cast a spell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Fourth area spoilers lol that Rinwell both has the big reveal about her revenge and then immediately gets subjected to the heroic anime "no revenge is wrong!" speech all in the span of like 3 minutes. Feels like reveal that she was tagging along to find the lord who slaughtered her family should have come a bit earlier.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dracula Factory posted:

I've never played a Tales game before and have grown to like JRPGs and I could use a nice earnest linear story right now, so I think I'm going to pick this up. Is it possible to play with KBM or should I bust out a controller?

I'm on PC too and I went with using a controller. I don't think I've ever played a jrpg on PC with kb/m.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The third area is jaw droppingly gorgeous. Hail Satan

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Traxis posted:

They show the ships in the games opening cutscene
Ugh I should rewatch it while sober. Started this game on Friday night after work :catdrugs:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
honestly the single weird thing in this game for me is a tales game actually just straight up having

horses

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

honestly the single weird thing in this game for me is a tales game actually just straight up having

horses

love being able to farm horses for their delicious meat

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Love my fantasy pigs - the same as normal pigs but with rabbit ears

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excuse me they are called rappigs and are entirely different from normal pigs.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Are they delicious

Barudak
May 7, 2007

boredsatellite posted:

Are they delicious

Im eating something made out of them, so I hope so

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This game is so stingy with the plot. 30 hours in and the characters are still clueless about basically everything, as am I

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This game is so stingy with the plot. 30 hours in and the characters are still clueless about basically everything, as am I

Really? Where are you up to? I'm like 22 hours and lord 4 and feel like it's getting much more meaty, but maybe it slows up again idk

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

JBP posted:

Really? Where are you up to? I'm like 22 hours and lord 4 and feel like it's getting much more meaty, but maybe it slows up again idk

I'm up to the other planet shooting space lasers at Dahna. Nobody knows why or what's happening but they're very concerned

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh God the plant buffs are PERMANENT? I just like doubled everyone's stats or close to it. I'm in third lord area and I never touched one until now. If there was a tool tip about this I Def missed it.

I'm playing on hard so this should make fights more bearable now.

I assumed they were food ingredients until late into the second area and then thought "hm should probably see what these actually do" and noticed this.

I don't really understand what some of these stats do (I'm guessing penetration ignores armor or something, not sure about "endurance," or something like that), so I just kind of spread them mostly evenly (with the exception of the magic attack ones, which went to casters obviously).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For whatever reason, stats are explained in the tutorial section as though there was a tutorial pop up for them, but there isn't ever a tutorial pop-up that occurs during gameplay.

Penetration is the opposite of resistance; resistance determines your chance of getting staggered by an attack and getting hit by a critical hit, penetration raises your chance of staggering with attacks and getting critical hits. They're directly compared in combat; i.e., your penetration vs. opponents resistance

The first time you pick up a plant and it gives you the description text box, the description says what stat it boosts. The other variants also tell you they boost more than the regular kind

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just finished the third area. Someone tell me for the boss fight

Am I supposed to use Kisara's boost everytime he does the berserker charge, is that the gimmick?

The chameleon fight also seemed like he did the teleport->stomp, which kept one-shotting me, but I dunno what the counter-play is other than spamming dodge and hope it triggers the evasion

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think playing Shionne all the time means I haven't learned to play this game at all. With the melee guys what's the way to keep a combo going and which abilities should I go for? I also think I need to lessen the input lag or whatever queuing attacks feels unnatural.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, I'm useless at perfect dodging now that I have a full party. It's extremely difficult to keep track of enemies and see when they're about to do attacks. The only ones I can reliably follow are humanoids who are doing melee attacks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to give this game a very specific shout out so many games neglect; when you use your permanent stat boosting items it displays every party members current stat of the type its boosting and how much the stat will increase. No more hunting back and forth between status menus to apply this boost "correctly" in your opinion, its a nice simple comparison.

Also the voice recording quality may not be super high and I might have some complaints on how Dohalim delivers some skit lines but Im really loving that I don't recognize every single voice actor in this game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's been fun to hear Erica Lindbeck do a bitchy jackass voice performance for Shionne after her past roles being more bubbly such as Jessie (FF7R), Futaba (P5), and Magilou (Berseria).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

JBP posted:

I think playing Shionne all the time means I haven't learned to play this game at all. With the melee guys what's the way to keep a combo going and which abilities should I go for? I also think I need to lessen the input lag or whatever queuing attacks feels unnatural.

Solo you need to basically rotate between air and ground combos, as they have seperate normal hit counters. Either the enemy needs to be big enough to loop or you need to break them first, in a group your can have other people maintaing your combo chain while your on downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The sewer slime boss is an absolute disaster of terribly unfun game design. Hey, I'm going to spawn waves of five loving slime adds(apparently on lower difficulties it's less, but I'm on hard) with full HP bars that will spam delayed infinite range ground-targeted nukes nonstop while I jump around like an rear end in a top hat, and I'm going to keep spawning them forever even if you kill them, so if you wasted the time and effort killing a couple waves of them gently caress you.

I managed to beat it without burning my resources to ash after a quick restart to slap water resist gear on everyone, but it was deeply, deeply tedious because being constantly bombarded by spells means that committing to any real combo is suicidal so I poked the boss to death with demon fangs and poo poo while running around in circles constantly. What a galactic drop in boss design quality, I had been enjoying the bosses up to this point.

And yeah, you have Rinwell's magic counter boost to help deal with the adds - except she can only hit one of them at a time with it unless they happen to be stacked up in a pile, and it takes approximately ten thousand years to recharge, so it basically does nothing. Oops!