Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Am I the only person that thought this episode of Ted Lasso was just kind of "meh"? I mean, a lot happened in it but I just don't feel like anything besides the Ted/Doc stuff is going to have any impact act all. Maybe the Sam/Rebecca stuff if it gets out and she gets dragged for it, but I doubt it will seeing how they handled calling out the sponsor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, and the reason he did that is because once informed, it was an incredibly important issue for both him and his loved ones, so it's odd that he apparently completely forgot about it after making that enormous gesture. It's one of a number of things this season where characters have major developments in an episode that then are completely forgotten moving forward.

This show is very good at spending exactly as much time as they want with a plot point. They tell the story they wanna tell, then we move on. Same principle as showing us three seconds of a game before telling us the result. I can see why it feels like dropping major storylines, but they usually aren't completely dropped, and I'd rather be left wanting more than grow tired of it.

Also, for all we know, the announcement was made ten seconds before Sam got the phone call.

VagueRant posted:

Some website says the actor turned 24 in April, so close enough! Surprised to see people are so against the Sam/Rebecca relationship. My only issue is the employer relationship there. Their chemistry was mostly offscreen on the Bantr app which is kinda bad, but I'd root for them.

The age difference is enough for me to raise an eyebrow, and the employer/employee thing raises my other eyebrow. Also, I'm not a soccer expert but my understanding is players are essentially owned by their teams (see Jamie being "lent out" last season), it's not like hockey or whatever where there's a union and collective bargaining. It's kinda gross. The actors have chemistry though, and there's probably some other show where I'd be rooting for them!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Yeah, the Rebecca/Sam thing is about as weird as her ex-husband dating the 20 year old and having a kid. I thought I would like it until I actually saw it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of, I wish Rupert was in this season. Both because I think it would benefit from actually having an antagonist figure, but also I really enjoyed Anthony Head's performance as a total sleaze.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I think it would benefit from actually having an antagonist figure

How so?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Because the show is kinda boring this season.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, and the reason he did that is because once informed, it was an incredibly important issue for both him and his loved ones, so it's odd that he apparently completely forgot about it after making that enormous gesture. It's one of a number of things this season where characters have major developments in an episode that then are completely forgotten moving forward.

They don't show a lot of the stuff all these characters do, I'm sure he did some other press for it and got more involved off screen. The middle of a workout is not an odd time to be not paying attention to the news, and I assumed his dad called as soon as the news got out.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Robobot posted:

Because the show is kinda boring this season.

Did season one have an antagonist, and is that why you (presumably) found season one less boring? Assuming you mean Rupert, he wasn't much more of an antagonist than Nate is this season, and served mostly to sell us on Rebecca's change of heart.

Can't Nate be this season's antagonist for you?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Rebecca was also an antagonist until the next to last episode. Was a pretty big thread through the entire first season.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I think it would be funny if Sam and Nate bumble their way into a "nice guy gone mad with power" showdown against each other.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The antagonist this season is Ted’s inability or refusal to to acknowledge reality.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Robobot posted:

Rebecca was also an antagonist until the next to last episode. Was a pretty big thread through the entire first season.

Sorta, I guess? Maybe it's hindsight but the show felt very much on her side starting with like episode 3. And that's driven home when contrasted to Rupert, an actual antagonist.

Anyway, fair enough if you're bored, but I'm not seeing how "missing antagonist" is the right diagnosis.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Still concerned Nate is going to blow up after a bad loss and make a panic attack comment to the press.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I think it would be funny if Sam and Nate bumble their way into a "nice guy gone mad with power" showdown against each other.

I don't think we're going to see that with Sam. Nate is definitely going to make a major fuckup at some point and explode, or just explode from some minor setback. Sam isn't really going to have any power, Rebecca is probably going to go overboard to not show favoritism but he doesn't seem the type nor do they seem to be building towards that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i know that it isn't sam's style, i just think it would be a funny plot line

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Just binged through all of Ted Lasso this weekend, what a delightful show and also gently caress me I didn't realize they do one episode a week.

The Sam/Rebecca thing is weird but I love it for Sam bc I can't help but root for him in all things.

Also love Nates arc so far, excited to see him lose his loving mind soon

Roy is the best character on the show, followed closely by Keeley. Feels like those two make me laugh more consistently than everyone else and are just such well constructed characters

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 12, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Roy is the best character on the show, followed closely by Keeley. Feels like those two make me laugh more consistently than everyone else and are just such well constructed characters

I just had a terrible idea. They should reboot House M.D. but with Roy’s actor as House. It could work, if his American accent is bad enough.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

frogbs posted:

I just had a terrible idea. They should reboot House M.D. but with Roy’s actor as House. It could work, if his American accent is bad enough.

"I think its lupus."

"gently caress no!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Did season one have an antagonist, and is that why you (presumably) found season one less boring? Assuming you mean Rupert, he wasn't much more of an antagonist than Nate is this season, and served mostly to sell us on Rebecca's change of heart.

Can't Nate be this season's antagonist for you?

No because he doesn't pose a credible threat to our cast of characters. Being a twat isn't the same as being an antagonist.

Plus the writers loving forgot about his heel-turn for an entire episode so I look forward to that awkwardly resurfacing again just like someone pointed out with the oil-plot again.

swickles posted:

"I think its lupus."

"gently caress no!"

Oh hell yes

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I do think Keeley is underrated, almost another Ted in terms of whimsy and positivity. The way she gasses Rebecca up is so sweet and good. I'm also weirdly glad to see the Juno Temple get a stable, positive role.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

No because he doesn't pose a credible threat to our cast of characters. Being a twat isn't the same as being an antagonist.

Plus the writers loving forgot about his heel-turn for an entire episode so I look forward to that awkwardly resurfacing again just like someone pointed out with the oil-plot again.

Rupert's "credible threat" 1% ownership in the club seems about on par with Ted-certified-and-promoted Nate undermining the "we're one big happy work family" vibe from within? I'm really not seeing how season one had some Big Bad that's missing from season 2.

Oil plot round 2 was awkward though. I get that they want Jamie to have a glimpse of a Good Dad before he faces his Bad Dad, but it came outta nowhere.

When was Nate's heel turn forgotten?

VagueRant posted:

I do think Keeley is underrated, almost another Ted in terms of whimsy and positivity. The way she gasses Rebecca up is so sweet and good. I'm also weirdly glad to see the Juno Temple get a stable, positive role.

She steals every scene, and that's no easy feat with this cast.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

frogbs posted:

*Man screaming in agony in the emergency room*

"Oi! Wanker! Shut the gently caress up!"

pokeyman posted:

She steals every scene, and that's no easy feat with this cast.

Shes such an absurdly talented actress

Also glad to see y'all hated that dumbass oil company plotline too

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, I can't keep my eyes off of Juno anytime she's on screen. Her smile slays me.

It's wild seeing her in this after watching Killer Joe recently.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Oi! It’s not lupus!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

sonatinas posted:

Oi! It’s not lupus!

It's never farking lupus, when are you idiots going to farking learn that!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

RacistsSuck posted:

gently caress I love Ted Lasso so much, and it’s my happy escape thing on tv.

And then last night the show hits me with a line of dialogue that hit me like it was personally targeted. loving brutal.

My dad killed himself when I was 16.

Condolences good goon, that's absolutely brutal to deal with at any point but especially at that age. What a tragedy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also glad to see y'all hated that dumbass oil company plotline too

I loved it in 203. They just haven’t really done anything with it since then, and it really seems blatant. It’s the main criticism of this season I can really get on board with because really? They replaced freaking Dubai Air with a tiny dating app and that’s it?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I loved it in 203. They just haven’t really done anything with it since then, and it really seems blatant. It’s the main criticism of this season I can really get on board with because really? They replaced freaking Dubai Air with a tiny dating app and that’s it?

Yea in 203 I thought it was fine with sort of bland liberal politics but I thought we were going to get some conflict about club finances or get some deeper characterization of Sam and his father but instead it was just thrown away.

My initial cynical thought was they needed to do that bc if they were ever going to write anything about black players being political there's no loving way it's gonna be about the police so might as well use that one up on something bland. Of course I was wrong and it was just some odd throwaway

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked Keeley better in the first season, but I feels the same way about most of the non-Ted characters that were promoted to main characters this season.

It feels like the writers have a spreadsheet where they need to write 7 minutes for each character a week, so we get endless stories about Roy’s niece and whatever boring thing Keeley is doing this week.
The show just feels watered down now compared to the first season.l, it’s still good but I find myself skipping through it more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The first season definitely had a feeling that it was mostly about Ted trying to fit in as the coach for the team and the team trying to do well enough to stay in the league. This season its mostly just Ted being the coach now and sometimes there's a thing he doesn't get, and the team just doesn't seem to care that they are at risk of being relegated into an even lower league. It's entertaining to watch but it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Corman is such an interesting show

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Rupert's "credible threat" 1% ownership in the club seems about on par with Ted-certified-and-promoted Nate undermining the "we're one big happy work family" vibe from within? I'm really not seeing how season one had some Big Bad that's missing from season 2.

Rebecca was the antagonist of S1 you dolt.

EDIT: Like her trying to set Ted up for failure (which she succeeded at) is at the core of her redemption arc which caps off the season. Then season 2 starts and there's no antagonist, no stakes and just generally no plot. Being a football team is a not a plot, it's a setting.

EDIT2: Like we have a bunch of filler b-line plots ongoing but none of them are in focus. I'm almost tempted to go back through the episodes and catalogue it just to prove my point. We have a real problem of a character getting focus one episode, getting forgotten the next and then their b-plot resurfacing again in the third.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 13, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Rebecca was the antagonist of S1 you dolt.

EDIT: Like her trying to set Ted up for failure (which she succeeded at) is at the core of her redemption arc which caps off the season. Then season 2 starts and there's no antagonist, no stakes and just generally no plot. Being a football team is a not a plot, it's a setting.

I was thinking of antagonist as a rival to the protagonist, which isn't really Rebecca. But if "antagonist" means "a driver of plot" then yep, agreed, Rebecca fits.

The show doesn't seem too interested in antagonists, but does Ted fit the bill this season? Stakes are the team getting promoted and thus sticking together. Sharon and Roy have both called out Ted's general responsibility for lack of winning and for neutering Jamie, and there was a quick "we're paying Premier League salaries on Championship revenue" line in I wanna say episode 3 of this season? which admittedly hasn't come up since. Even if Rebecca is willing to keep shovelling money into the fire, some of the players must be getting offers from winning clubs. That they haven't already left is a credit to the positive atmosphere Ted helped create but it can't last forever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I was thinking of antagonist as a rival to the protagonist, which isn't really Rebecca.

She's an antagonist. She attempts to humiliate the lead character, and also sets out to humiliate, undermine or straight up unemploy the rest of the cast. She has a minion who spends most of the season terrified of her! She's the villain.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

She's an antagonist. She attempts to humiliate the lead character, and also sets out to humiliate, undermine or straight up unemploy the rest of the cast. She has a minion who spends most of the season terrified of her! She's the villain.

I think there's more to it than that. Rebecca doesn't particularly care about Ted in the beginning, or about any of the players. She's not trying to humiliate any of them (except maybe Higgins), she's apathetic to their fates. She wants the team to lose, but Ted doesn't care if they win. It's a weird, indirect rivalry.

And I'm not saying reading Rebecca as season 1 antagonist is incorrect. I just don't think it's why season 1 succeeds and season 2 is supposedly failing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spacebump posted:

I think part of it was season 1 hit people at a time when everyone needed a little more positivity in their lives. We had no expectations for season 1 but have them for 2.
Yes this is definitely it. Both the timing of season 1 and the fact that expectations were very low with it being a one-off sketch from like 7 years ago turned into a show.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I don't know what's going on in See but I thoroughly enjoy every time Jason Momoa is on screen. He's absolutely delightful.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

So, the Coach Beard episode dropped. Clearly, he suffered a concussion after falling over the barrier last episode and this was the result.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Ninurta posted:

So, the Coach Beard episode dropped. Clearly, he suffered a concussion after falling over the barrier last episode and this was the result.

I feel like this is probably just an average day for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That Ted Lasso episode was worse than the Christmas one. Oof. :smith:

I feel like Beard is even less of a character and I know even less about him than I did before. Literally the opposite of what I wanted.

Ninurta posted:

It was so dream-logic-y throughout, I kept expecting it all to be a hallucination or dream sequence. Or at least have a point.