Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So when the matchmaking ready screen shows green squares instead of the portraits, does that mean something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this game does such an abysmal job of explaining things it’s loving astounding

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

So when the matchmaking ready screen shows green squares instead of the portraits, does that mean something?

it means you are about to lose since it's matched you against an ultra team.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

it means you are about to lose since it's matched you against an ultra team.

Lol I thought this was the case. Lost 3 in a row to these matches tonight. I think I'll take take penalty for not clicking ready next time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what’s the penalty?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

indigi posted:

what’s the penalty?

A timeout from joining the battle matchmaking. Goes up for repeated offenses.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ninetails 2 good

I don't even like that one cause it seems to have only 1 trick and that one only even works like half the time, and it's so slow... but you can't argue with results

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
is this game dead or what?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, I forgot to tell you. It's dead.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I mean there's basically nothing to talk about until the mobile version drops, which presumably will come with a patch and we'll see if that addresses anything. Nobody wants to turn this thread into a blog complaining about their bad games or whatever.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I wonder what the actual update schedule is going to look like for this game. New heroes are cool and all but uh, I'm definitely not going to keep buying each new mon as they come out. It also doesn't particularly help that the game is kind of solved, and every match plays out pretty similarly. Dota hadn't gotten an update in 6+ months which should be illegal but now that 7.30 hit there's a group of new top-tier heroes to spam and a billion item and hero changes to consider. Unite is simple, which makes it accessible, but there's also a really limited amount of ways to go in there and try to shake things up in a significant way

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

At the same time, I'm still playing this almost every day. The core game engine is a ton of fun and feels very satisfying to play around in. I just wish it was a full-fat PC/console MOBA aimed at real gamers rather than the mobile crowd, with more accessible game info and without so many F2P mechanics and stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think you're probably expecting too much here, do these mobage mobas ever shake things up significantly? But yeah I've still been playing at least a match a day, its a good rear end game even if its 100% predictable at this point

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Same, I tend to play to knock out dailys. Not in the chore sense that I used to do in other games, but more as I'm enjoying playing for thirty minutes each day

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've been just doing a different meta and fooling around. I've developed a technique with Backdoor Crustle where I just stay top and score like 250 points while the rest of the team runs around the map and dies.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
For some alternative perspective: my kids love the game and are getting at least a couple of games in each day over the past month or so. It's been interesting watching them deal with a game where do much depends on the teams. I'd say it's a good teaching experience, though I do take some time to discuss it with them to make sure it remains positive.

The lack of text chat or emotes makes it ideal for children.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Once you accept that the game is just like that™ even the games where you're clearly gonna lose and lose badly can at least be funny. I picked up Mr.Mime and he feels weak as hell but it's too fun to constantly inconvenience the enemy team with barriers and shoves.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Still waiting to test run Blissey. But I did have fun with Lucario, and I'm really thinking of getting 'em. Extreme Speed is just so powerful combined with X-attack and fighting on top of the bee mob. You just zip 7 times around everybody doing massive damage, then finish with a bone rush and escape, and if you almost die it's fine cuz you get a massive shield. Lotsa fun.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

World Famous W posted:

Same, I tend to play to knock out dailys. Not in the chore sense that I used to do in other games, but more as I'm enjoying playing for thirty minutes each day

I’m still playing casually but have started watching this guy’s videos as a daily habit. No toxicity, just a nice wholesome dad playing the game and trying to help people get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhNGSmsJMh8

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Finally hit masters this evening

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm just waiting for Sylveon to come out. Gonna play the trans flag pokemon all game every game.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Unite is simple, which makes it accessible, but there's also a really limited amount of ways to go in there and try to shake things up in a significant way

Eh, still seems pretty soon to make such a judgement. I'll see what it's like after a year or so.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Game's out on mobile. if you link your mobile account to your switch account you can get some free stuff.

also patch notes
https://www.serebii.net/pokemonunite/patch.shtml

notably, sleep moves (Snorlax Yawn, Wigglytuff Sing) now wake up on hit

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
new ui is pretty good by comparison. also I made a dumbshit squad if anyone wants in, just search for digimon and / or add me personally as a friend or something (same username)

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Can anybody get the preregistration rewards? The red pip appears over the events section, but there's no "claim rewards" button in the section.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

War Wizard posted:

Can anybody get the preregistration rewards? The red pip appears over the events section, but there's no "claim rewards" button in the section.

Yeah, I got them all on ipad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They also added some new held items

Weakness Policy (increases damage done when you take damage)
Choice Specs (increases damage on moves that hit, based on special attack. don't understand this one at all.)
Razor Claw (Sheen from league of legends)

They added a super item enhancer that upgrades any item to 30, with previously spent coins refunded. you can get three total from reaching trainer level 10/12/14. use them by pressing ZL on the main menu and selecting item box. as far as I can tell there is no other way to get these.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

War Wizard posted:

Same here. They just tweeted that they're looking into it:

https://twitter.com/PokemonUnite/status/1440586969189212162

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Yo they are throwing out item enhancements like candy right now. There’s a set of events that give you 150/190 enhancers if you play as a given role 5/10 times, they’ve created an item that lets you temporarily bump a held item to 30 for a week that they’re giving out really easily and most importantly, for reaching trainer levels 10/12/14 they’re giving out Super Item Enhancers that bump a held item right up to level 30 and returns all of the enhancers already used on it. For an item you’ve already raised up to 20 that means you get 567 enhancers back.

Rough math tells me that if you, like me, already have at least 3 items at level 20 and are already past trainer level 14, you can have three Level 30 held items plus 3,401 enhancers (1700 from events and 1701 from using the Super Enhancers), which is enough to take a fourth item from level 1 to level 30 and a fifth up to level 20.

Now I just have to decide which items. It makes sense to focus on the ones that have the widest use among the Pokemon I play, so probably the Buddy Barrier and the Score Shield, then maybe Focus Band? And then after those three I can upgrade the Muscle Band and Wise Glasses? Ugh choices.

Edit: also note that your paid currency doesn’t carry over between Switch and mobile so if you have gems set aside for the battle pass you gotta buy it on your Switch

edit2: someone in a stream chat said that you can set a second “first time purchase bonus” for gems on mobile, so if you have your heart set on that dope pirate Charizard costume you should buy gems on mobile if you already bought some on Switch

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 22, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, having not played for ages I was pleasantly shocked by those items

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

I had no idea this thread existed. I’m pretty into this game.

I’ve been chatting with the guys in the Nintengoons discord server, and it feels like interest has mostly died down. If you’re interested in playing, I’m usually on around the reset at 8pm EST. Would be cool to have some more people in the channel to group up with on voice, especially in ranked.

I also created a squad. Hopefully we can get some regulars going!

Nintengoon Squad
#G1A5RQNY

Shoegazing fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 22, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also interesting: the “social daily mission” is different between Switch and mobile. The mobile version makes you post to a social media and the switch version just asks for you to use the “Gather Here” message once.

edit: Shoegazing I added you and joined the squad

Edit2: MOTHER FUCKER TJEY RUINED CHARIZARD’S UNITE MOVE

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 22, 2021

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I started playing the cotton ball tonight on my iPhone and I think I’ll just play them

it’s pretty fun

if they add a Gloom/Vileplume or some poison type guys that would be cool though

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Max the claw held item and put it on absol for the love of God, you'll never lose a game again

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

What does the claw item do?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

municipal shrimp posted:

What does the claw item do?

Next auto after using an ability is boosted, and if you're melee, it also applies a move slow.

Also I love the UI improvements. Don't like people AFKing in fountain for 2/3 of a match.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Shoegazing posted:

I’ve been chatting with the guys in the Nintengoons discord server, and it feels like interest has mostly died down. If you’re interested in playing, I’m usually on around the reset at 8pm EST. Would be cool to have some more people in the channel to group up with on voice, especially in ranked.

I also created a squad. Hopefully we can get some regulars going!

Nintendogoons Squad
#G1A5RQNY

How do you join the squad? I'm going to Unite Squad and typing in that code (or Nintendogoons) and it doesn't seem to find anything. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right though, I type in the code on Switch, hit + twice, and there doesn't seem to be any words in the search bar. e: Okay, finally got it. For future reference, you need to include the # when using the code, and the squad is actually named NintengoonSquad. Please accept me I am good player :)

DC Murderverse posted:

Now I just have to decide which items. It makes sense to focus on the ones that have the widest use among the Pokemon I play, so probably the Buddy Barrier and the Score Shield, then maybe Focus Band? And then after those three I can upgrade the Muscle Band and Wise Glasses? Ugh choices.

I would hold off on these for a bit until they shake out how well the new items perform, but I think your initial choices are probably way off. The special effect on the items maxes out at level 20, so going from 20-30 just gives you that tiny bit of extra stats that items get with each level. So maxing Focus Band just gives you +30 defense instead of +20, and the numbers in this game are so high that those extra stats are a tiny part of your total. Score Shield and Buddy Barrier give you an extra +150HP and +200HP which may be significant for the early game, I guess?

I'd bet :10bux: that the best items to get to 30 are the ones that have %s on them, so they'll scale into the late game as your Pokemon gets stronger. Scope Lens (crit% and crit damage%) and Muscle Band (attack speed %) were the two I was looking at before the patch, and the only new item with % stats is the very low crit% on Razor Claw. Shell Bell and Energy Amplifier also have % cooldown reduction on them, but I'm not sure that's worth building into since this isn't a proper items-based MOBA where you can really stack CDR. (I did wish I had them both at 30 so I could test how good their total 9% CDR feels, but I'm not upgrading them both just to experiment.)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 22, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kyrosiris posted:

Next auto after using an ability is boosted, and if you're melee, it also applies a move slow.

Also I love the UI improvements. Don't like people AFKing in fountain for 2/3 of a match.

I was going to try this on Crustle, but his CD is too slow for the main effect. Does the secondary slow apply on all attacks or just the one after the ability?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I just threw on them on some random poo poo because we'll probably get more in very limited fashion in the future, and you can grind to get to 30. I'm not super worried about optimizing especially when the item passive doesn't scale past 20.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Phenotype posted:

(I did wish I had them both at 30 so I could test how good their total 9% CDR feels, but I'm not upgrading them both just to experiment.)

You could use the 7 day upgrade to test that out without wasting your real upgrades, the first thing I did was buy the razor claw and slap one of those on it to boost it to 30 for a week to see if it’s any good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
How does the new claw item interact with Garchomp? And is Garchomp not made of paper in early game now? They did my sharky boy so wrong