Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Fur20 posted:

south korea... i've been training for this job all my life

If you build the road one section at a time it will actually flatten the land for you. A pivotal tip for such a mountainous country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

2: it is evident that the authorities *can* stop all VPNs from working, at least for a while, since they all regularly poo poo the bed around Party Conference time.
It is unclear what the mechanism is, though.

Possible to do but requires expensive monitoring?
Possible to do but slows down / inhibits other internet traffic?
Trivial to do but the authorities actually don't want to close down VPNs?
Not actually a tech issue at all, just the authorities threatening All Hell to VPN companies if they don't cooperate for a couple of weeks?

Add your answer here, I guess.

I don't know how trivial it is, but they obviously can do it since like you say, magically your internet access stops working around June 4th every year.

Definitely a big reason they don't block all VPNs is that any company in China that does international business requires VPN access to, you know, be able to do anything online. Completely shutting down VPNs would rock the economy. That plus the fact that the majority of the population supports the Party and aren't interested in using a VPN to learn about reality means the best option is to look the other way. The economic harm is vastly greater than some discontents who already don't buy into the Party's message being able to access Twitter. Also you'd be stopping all your wumaos from being able to flood social media with bullshit.

Plus every once in a while when they throw someone in prison forever for selling VPNs, it reinforces the message.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Blistex posted:

East Germany at least had something resembling modern infrastructure and industry, something that doesn't exist off a select few beaten paths in North Korea. Imagine trying to bring a nation of that size and population from 1900 to 2021 just from a construction point of view. You're talking trillions of dollars when all is said and done.

Roads, electricity generation and transmission, schools, hospitals, government buildings, municipal works, public transportation, airports, seaports, rail lines, trains, and stations, introducing modern industry and agriculture.

It's like a game of Sim City from hell.

It would take several generations of planning to even begin the process of rebuilding North Korea

While NK has trillions of dollars of minerals and rare earth metals buried underground, the infrastructure to tap even that is beyond costly. It'd be easier to modernize Afghanistan

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
s korea itself was exactly two generations, the basic trouble is doing it with democracy

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
North Korea is obviously way beyond "1900s" level of development, and saying that it's easier to modernize Afghanistan seems dumb as well.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know how trivial it is, but they obviously can do it since like you say, magically your internet access stops working around June 4th every year.

Definitely a big reason they don't block all VPNs is that any company in China that does international business requires VPN access to, you know, be able to do anything online. Completely shutting down VPNs would rock the economy. That plus the fact that the majority of the population supports the Party and aren't interested in using a VPN to learn about reality means the best option is to look the other way. The economic harm is vastly greater than some discontents who already don't buy into the Party's message being able to access Twitter. Also you'd be stopping all your wumaos from being able to flood social media with bullshit.

Plus every once in a while when they throw someone in prison forever for selling VPNs, it reinforces the message.

Express and Astrill are the most popular VPNs in China, unless you know how to use Shadowstocks. It seems like they release a new weekly update nowadays.

They didn't go down on the 4th, but when the two sessions meeting happened, all VPNs took a poo poo, especially if you live here in Beijing.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
It's also somewhat safe to assume that a lot of the popular VPNs are compromised.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

the panacea posted:

It's also somewhat safe to assume that a lot of the popular VPNs are compromised.

Yeah I'd be shocked if a lot of them aren't honey pots for various intelligence organizations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Does WG still work or did that only work back in 2019 due to the novelty of it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SerCypher posted:

Yeah I'd be shocked if a lot of them aren't honey pots for various intelligence organizations.

They all will retain your data and sell it to whoever.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Fixed - you need to make use [url] not [img]

woops, thanks, it does have audio

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

the panacea posted:

If your privacy is "of interest to intelligence agencies" valuable, you should be looping it through several different VPNs, based in mutual uncooperative jurisdictions, paid for with some hard-to-trace crypto, with some personally set up / obtained servers in the middle.

They'll still get you, of course, but at least it'll be a chase.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

SerCypher posted:

Yeah, most of them are. Express is actually based in Hong Kong.

A lot of the "Free" VPNs collect your data. Then again, what tech doesn't nowadays?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I doubt most of them are explicit honeypots, moreso profiteering companies with optimistic venture capital revenue targets and willing to sell out customers to achieve them.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Grand Fromage posted:

it's May 35th you dumbass

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Forceholy posted:

Express and Astrill are the most popular VPNs in China, unless you know how to use Shadowstocks. It seems like they release a new weekly update nowadays.

They didn't go down on the 4th, but when the two sessions meeting happened, all VPNs took a poo poo, especially if you live here in Beijing.

Yeah I know, I lived there. Astrill stopped working entirely in Sichuan so I had to switch to... I think Vypr for my backup. Express usually works.

the panacea posted:

It's a common theory that Express/Astrill at least cooperate with the government. You're in China, you just shouldn't be doing anything electronically that would get you in trouble. Part of the price of living in an authoritarian state. Be happy that foreign citizenship means they don't care about you unless you're running a Tibetan separatist movement or something.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3148597/chinese-police-arrest-suspect-fatal-shooting-law-firm

i wonder where the gun came from - if there's gonna be any official words on that or they'll just ignore it

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3148597/chinese-police-arrest-suspect-fatal-shooting-law-firm

i wonder where the gun came from - if there's gonna be any official words on that or they'll just ignore it

China makes a shitload of guns, and exports a lot too, even to civilian markets like Canada.

We can't get them here in the US because of some arms export thing I believe.

I'm actually surprised more of them don't go missing or get used in crimes.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

SerCypher posted:

China makes a shitload of guns, and exports a lot too, even to civilian markets like Canada.

US laws ban a bunch of the scarier looking foreign produced weapons, including a lot of the stuff Chinese companies had been importing.

Norinco, specifically, got totally banned from importing firearms because they tried to sell a ship full of AK's to federal agents posing as gang members/the mafia in the mid-90's. They also supposedly offered tanks and missiles. They're probably much more careful about that sort of thing domestically - but yeah undoubtedly things fall off the backs of trucks often enough when somebody is willing to pay.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 13, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Norinco and subsidiaries getting to sling Type 81's here while domestically-made AR-15s got banned is one of the uglier things about the Canadian gun market.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

SerCypher posted:

The guns are there, but their (known) use in crime is very rare.
Definitely seems like something is up with that story.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Something blessed from the cursed thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsDRDoy8o3o

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Kharnifex posted:

Please don't doxx the CSPAM people who come into this thread.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

taiwan #1

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

中國Mac同我

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Dumb question maybe but is Google Chrome or any other applications available in China?

Obviously I know they sell Android-based phones there, but the whole Google doing business on the mainland due to concerns about the CCP and access to their servers made me wonder.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

sticksy posted:

Dumb question maybe but is Google Chrome or any other applications available in China?

Obviously I know they sell Android-based phones there, but the whole Google doing business on the mainland due to concerns about the CCP and access to their servers made me wonder.

You can install Chrome but any sort of syncing it tries to do with Google's servers will be blocked by the firewall

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Android phones also don't have Google Play or any of the other Google services. Which definitely doesn't cause crippling problems all the time or anything.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Kharnifex posted:

I don't remember taking DMT but I guess I did

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/FWnYqnp.gifv

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

If you haven't watched the video, you've seen the good parts now

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I like the part where the two presumably kung-fu masters were incapable of landing a blow to its giant, swollen head.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like the part where the two presumably kung-fu masters were incapable of landing a blow to its giant, swollen head.

Heh, I see you couldn't even track his movements

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This looks... interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/14/china-property-giant-evergrande-admits-debt-crisis-as-protesters-besiege-hq

The Guardian posted:

Property giant China Evergrande Group has said that it cannot sell properties and other assets fast enough to service its massive $300bn debts, and that its cashflow was under “tremendous pressure”.

Only hours after angry investors besieged its Shenzhen headquarters and the company denied it was set for bankruptcy, Evergrande issued a statement to the Hong Kong stock exchange saying that a significant drop in sales would continue this month, which was likely to further deteriorate its liquidity and cash flow.

The company blamed “ongoing negative media reports” for dampening investor confidence, resulting in a further decline in sales in September – usually a strong month for sales in China.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Strong move blaming Xi for not controlling the press enough. Let's see how that plays out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if theres a tipping point itll be evergrande going down without a bailout. maybe even with one

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if theres a tipping point itll be evergrande going down without a bailout. maybe even with one

I'm typically quite blasé about announcements of China's imminent demise, since they have been a recurring theme in this thread and others for years and years, but I will confess to watching the Evergrande thing with a certain amount of alertness.
Probably nothing, but not certainly nothing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I like that literally everything all over the world is blamed on the press now

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Oooo we gonna see some global ripple effects soon??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ilmucche posted:

I like that literally everything all over the world is blamed on the press now