Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

In I think the 1950's they realized a ton of struggling students simply had bad vision and struggled to read books and see the blackboard. This led to a nationwide push to install florescent lighting in schools and give all students eye tests. Not terribly interesting but a minor historical moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I had lovely eyesight growing up (still have it!), but my family did not have much money so I didn't get glasses until I was 14. They were huge and ugly and I was embarrassed, so I rarely wore them despite being terribly near-sighted. I was such a loving idiot. Everybody thought I was a weirdo growing up anyway, so it's not like anyone would have really given a poo poo that I had big dumb glasses.

I wasn't comfortable wearing glasses until I finally got a pair that didn't cover half my face when I was 20.

Moral: Wear your drat glasses!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Hell, even in the 70’s, they either didn’t do eye tests at my school or else hosed it all up - I didn’t get glasses until my dad made a pediatrician gave me an eye test at like 9 or ten and everybody realized I couldn’t see poo poo. Which kinda surprises me, because my dad has/had the same exact lovely vision I do, and vision issues are extremely hereditary.

I put the glasses on and was like ‘holy poo poo, the world is so CLEAR. I took a buncha poo poo for being a four-eye, but I was a goofy little kid anyway - it wasn’t like glasses ruined my burgeoning social life

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I had lovely eyesight growing up (still have it!), but my family did not have much money so I didn't get glasses until I was 14. They were huge and ugly and I was embarrassed, so I rarely wore them despite being terribly near-sighted. I was such a loving idiot. Everybody thought I was a weirdo growing up anyway, so it's not like anyone would have really given a poo poo that I had big dumb glasses.

I wasn't comfortable wearing glasses until I finally got a pair that didn't cover half my face when I was 20.

Moral: Wear your drat glasses!

Orange-brown plastic welfare frames. Man, they really knew how to stigmatize the poor back then.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked up a couple 60s children books from a church sale yesterday:

This book is about an american family giving their new german friends an "all-american treat" by going to McD's

In the end they discuss how hamburgers aren't actually an American creation after all!

Weirdly McDonalds isn't actually said by name until the final page. But the golden arches imagery are all over it.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I love those!

Covid has kept me from garage saleing and thrift shopping, so I really appreciate other people's finds here.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I love those!

Covid has kept me from garage saleing and thrift shopping, so I really appreciate other people's finds here.

I haven't been doing much thrifting but I've been hitting garage sales hard this year. I went ahead and resurrected the thrifting thread just now:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940556

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

How have I not seen that thread?!

Thanks!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
“Hey Boo Boo, let’s go get us a dip-a-lo-matic pouch.”

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Foreign Policy wrote a serious article about this.

quote:

It’s perhaps no surprise, then, that Yogi’s tale captures the complexities of U.N. politics in ways that more straightforward children’s heroes cannot; his quest to subvert park ranger rules becomes an affirmation of the existing order of things.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Wow, that's great!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is didn't know he was that big :prepop

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
A friend of mine is staying in an Airbnb, and sent me these photos of one of the books there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
in other words the airbnb owner is gonna astrally project through the wall and grope your friend in their sleep, got it

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Got this today

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

That last bullet holy poo poo

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I saw this at a flea market the other day:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I saw this at a flea market the other day:

:yeah:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I wanna read this, and I don't even care about the Beatles at all!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I forgot to get a pic of the front of this one, sorry, so I grabbed it off of Google Image Search to complete the set:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Normally I like books by cranks, but that one actually offend me when it came out. He took 9/11 and used it to sell more lovely books. Typing that out sounds like silly patriotism, but in 2003 that wound was still fresh.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

I need this. Searching for it.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Mr.Chill posted:

I need this. Searching for it.

Let me know how The Kirkby's were handled.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

lifg posted:

Normally I like books by cranks, but that one actually offend me when it came out. He took 9/11 and used it to sell more lovely books. Typing that out sounds like silly patriotism, but in 2003 that wound was still fresh.

What's the ancient Hebrew word for 'airplane'? Is there also a word for 'bar-codes'?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Buttchocks posted:

What's the ancient Hebrew word for 'airplane'? Is there also a word for 'bar-codes'?

I wonder how many people will find something suspicious about the 9/11 predictions only appearing in the 2003 edition, but being absent from the 1997 original.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I won't lie, I saw the words "pigs" and "deliverance" and came to the same assumption that you just did.

this new persona game sucks

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I've just moved house and the move has uncovered a lot of books from my youth that I'd almost forgotten about, so here's a little post about one of the odder examples.

Musrum, by Eric Thacker and Anthony Earnshaw.

Wikipedia tells me that Earnshaw was a self-educated working class man from Leeds, England, who ended up a teacher at several Yorkshire schools. Musrum is a very odd book - Wikipedia says "In 1968 Earnshaw collaborated with Thacker on an illustrated novel, Musrum, which was not commercially successful, but has become a cult classic. The book is a fantasy, peppered with aphorisms ("Sudden prayers make God jump"), and tells the story of the title character's kingdom and of his battle with the nefarious Weedking."

It's absurdist stuff, but the thing that caught my eye a couple of decades ago, the thing that made me buy the book, is the illustrations. Page after page of variations on themes - wolves, castles, dressing tables (!).

So many good tattoo designs!

There's a sequel, too, if anyone's interested?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
:stare: This is extremely my poo poo. Kind of proto Codex Seraphinianus vibes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

i'm interested in this martial art that requires you to carry around a partner

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

JPrime posted:

i'm interested in this martial art that requires you to carry around a partner

TwoJitsu

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

:drat:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

For a free copy, send a letter with your name and address to Frank B. Ichabod, 935 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, D.C.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

That is awesome!!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

You are finding some amazing stuff!