Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Dredd is a better movie, Judge Dredd is a better judge dredd adaptation

The movie where Dredd's helmet stays on is the better Judge Dredd adaption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

The Karl Urban movie gets the characters right. The Stallone movie gets Mega-City 1 right.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alhazred posted:

This. Dredd is shown to sleep in his helmet.

edit neither movie has Walter so they're both compromises at best.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Stallone's Dredd didn't have Ma Ma so no

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As an irritating minor thing. The way Karl Urban says "Maaa Maaa" annoys me.

Still agreat film though.

I also like that neither film chose to do Judge Death, and his mates. Not because I am against the character at all, but more that I reckon it would have been done really badly and that would have made me sad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah its kind of funny how they didn't do one of the more straightforward stories like Cursed Earth or the Judge Child.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Don’t know if it’s true or not but someone did some math on a post somewhere and found out despite the supposedly astronomical crime rate in mega city one America today has more crimes committed

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

As an irritating minor thing. The way Karl Urban says "Maaa Maaa" annoys me.

Still agreat film though.

I also like that neither film chose to do Judge Death, and his mates. Not because I am against the character at all, but more that I reckon it would have been done really badly and that would have made me sad.

Apparently if Dredd 2012 was more successful the trilogy plan was to have the 2nd delve into the history of Mega City 1 and the Judge system and the 3rd would have brought in Judge Death and company. I agree they'd probably gently caress it up but I'd love it if they really swung for the fences and got weird with the Dark Judges.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I would have liked to have had a second movie maybe open with Dredd in the middle of the robot wars, then go into Cursed Earth, and then for a third movie go into Judge Death and have it end with Anderson's sacrifice. It ties it up neatly and makes Dredd's decision to allow Anderson to pass after what happened in Peachtrees what directly leads to them saving all of Mega City 1.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I'd almost agree, but I saw this random's Judge Death concept based on the Dredd uniform ages ago:

and I think it would be do-able. It'd probably be Doug Jones though - I can't think of anyone else skeletal enough and used to prosthetics to do it.

My IIMM with Dredd is that they invented Slo-mo as a plot device. I think the slow motion shoot outs were cool, but there are many illicit substances in Dredd's world they could have used.

I think it would have been great to go through all the action and shenanigins with Ma Ma being built up as this powerful drug lord, but without actually mentioning what the substance she dealt was. Then, after the climax, we find out that she ran an sugar cartel. Sugar being incredibly illegal in Megacity 1.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The whole concept of Slo Mo was great though and sold how Ma Ma was loving psycho. She’d dose people with them and then send them on a long fall that felt like it was hours long, that’s hardcore as hell.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah that was pretty cool, the anticipation and also feeling a lot more pain a lot longer. Don’t they show one guy hit the ground nose-first? The impact is agonizingly slow.

Okay maybe not cool and good but rad as a fictional concept to scare you

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, another thing with Judge Dredd is that it comes up with new stuff all the time, often as a one-off. There's a lot of iconic storylines but you don't really need to have any particular one to start off. The more satirical stories are the system's brutal overreaction to petty things, while others involve genuine dangers, and everything in between.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, another thing with Judge Dredd is that it comes up with new stuff all the time, often as a one-off. There's a lot of iconic storylines but you don't really need to have any particular one to start off. The more satirical stories are the system's brutal overreaction to petty things, while others involve genuine dangers, and everything in between.

I always think of that one or two pages of panels where a guy in nice clothing and all is cuffed to a rail with some other guy who is mohawked and lookin MadMaxish asks him what he did.
And the guy in the nice cloths says, "Judge said looking like I do walking through a bad neighborhood I was gonna cause crime. Sentenced me to 6 months in a iso-cube."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

I always think of that one or two pages of panels where a guy in nice clothing and all is cuffed to a rail with some other guy who is mohawked and lookin MadMaxish asks him what he did.
And the guy in the nice cloths says, "Judge said looking like I do walking through a bad neighborhood I was gonna cause crime. Sentenced me to 6 months in a iso-cube."

I too liked the silly, absurdist, satirical stuff of the Judge Dredd comics.

The most fun parts of2000AD comics were often the one-shot stuff they did which was usually more style than substance. But still awesome.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dredd would be fantastic as an anthology series - its a shame the movie happened just before all the streaming things took off and people realised it was the way to tell involved stories rather than trying to jam it into 90 minutes of movie.

Even better would be keeping Dredd and the judges the same but mxing up the world design around them to mimic the changing styles of story and art in the original comics.

The most fun parts of2000AD comics were often the one-shot stuff they did which was usually more style than substance. But still awesome.

Of all the British writers from 2000AD that made it big in the US, I think its a shame that John Smith got looked over. He did all the Indigo Prime stuff, Tyranny Rex, Revere - a whole bunch or weird occult-y stuff. He did a two-parter called Danzig's Inferno where a dead philosopher is re-animated to help deal with two former friends who transcended reality to become abstract concepts and were flooding the world with chaotic happenings. A lot of weirdness that would probably both find an audience now and would probably get money thrown at it too.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Of all the British writers from 2000AD that made it big in the US, I think its a shame that John Smith got looked over. He did all the Indigo Prime stuff, Tyranny Rex, Revere - a whole bunch or weird occult-y stuff. He did a two-parter called Danzig's Inferno where a dead philosopher is re-animated to help deal with two former friends who transcended reality to become abstract concepts and were flooding the world with chaotic happenings. A lot of weirdness that would probably both find an audience now and would probably get money thrown at it too.

Indigo Prime would make for a great anthology series, ending with a wild two-parter that covers the Jack the Ripper arc.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah its kind of funny how they didn't do one of the more straightforward stories like Cursed Earth or the Judge Child.

Well the Judge Child plot was "this boy is our saviour. Oh, a psychic had a vision that one day they might turn evil. Let's sell him into slavery to an alien, nothing could possibly go wrong with that. Oh, the boy now hates us for some reason and is plotting our doom? No problem, let's just nuke the entire planet he's living on. There, problem solved. There could never possibly be any negative consequences for this series of actions."

Might be best to start with plots where the Judges aren't revealed to be utter monsters. You can show the evil poo poo in the sequal, like SHIELD being 50% Hydra agents.

Edit: and I see a dozen other posters with much better ideas than what I was going to suggest.

There are just so many good one-shots and short stories that it's really being spoiled for choice.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Sep 12, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Might be best to start with plots where the Judges aren't revealed to be utter monsters. You can show the evil poo poo in the sequal, like SHIELD being 50% Hydra agents.

How is Dredd not a monster in the movie? At the end he executes Ma Ma the exact same way she executed her henchman

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BiggerBoat posted:

One trope that I see a lot of which bugs me is "leave the gun"
Started watching Kate (2021) sight unseen for the hell of it, and she does this right at the beginning with a murder weapon.

Not even wearing gloves!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ynohtna posted:

A Judge Dredd television show modelled on 24 would make me so drat happy. Continually escalating stakes and contrived absurdities at a frenetic pace? Yes please.

The budget would have to be astronomical,but god i wish it would happen.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 11:38 on Sep 12, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

You have to know the turf, though. There's another occasion when Dredd fails a rookie for doing exactly this, but because he does it in the wrong bad neighbourhood it leads to everything the guy had being stolen - including himself, as the story ends with him being taken away by a gang of illegal organ harvesters. Dredd and the rookie return to find nothing but the cuff hanging from the rail.

Megillah, you've condensed the entire 10-year plot of the Judge Child saga into the original story and still got most of it wrong. Judge Feyy's dying vision only ever saw Krysler as a saviour; it was Dredd who looked at the boy and judged him to be evil, meting out punishment not because it was just but because he liked it. So he left Krysler in the safekeeping of the Grunwalder, who had been given the boy by the Angel Gang in return for sanctuary. Krysler's response was to try and assassinate Dredd, for which he was duly executed. It was then that the Grunwalder tried to clone the boy only to create the Mutant, who would turn out not only to be the fulfilment of Feyy's prophecy that Krysler would lead the city during the disaster of 2120 but also the cause of it. Dredd nuked the Grunwalder's castle on Xanadu (not the whole planet) to make sure it didn't happen again.

If you want a story where the Judges are monsters, do the Democracy storyline. The Judges deliberately provoke incidents so they can justify suppressing the marches and arresting the movement leaders, don't stop terrorist attacks in the planning stage so they can make a public example of the terrorists, and that's the tip of the iceberg.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Maybe I am missing something here, but the Judges, (including Dredd), and the whole Judicial System are not, and never portrayed as goodies.

In the comics I read they were always brutal fascist overlords. Always. A simple way this is shown is that The Statue Of Justice is at least twice the size of The Statue Of Liberty. They put people in solitary confinement for multiple years for crimes as absurd and arbitrary as "wearing a floppy hat". Somebody here posted the Bottom Inspectors from Viz, and they are pretty much a beat for beat copy of the Judges, except focusing on Arse crimes.

Yes Dredd is a cool stoic badarse, with cool guns who does cool stuff and arrests criminals, (sometimes even people who deserve to be arrested), but he has always been portrayed as a brutal fascist. And that is seldom portrayed as being a good thing. So whilst you could argue that Dredd is not the villain, he, and the rest of the Judges, are not the goodies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I do remember there was a low-key effort by fans to get a Dredd sequel/online show going & even Karl Urban seemed interested, but IIRC film rights are kind of up in the air at the moment.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Fatties are real in Dredd 2012, I like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Android Apocalypse posted:

I do remember there was a low-key effort by fans to get a Dredd sequel/online show going & even Karl Urban seemed interested, but IIRC film rights are kind of up in the air at the moment.

It's not a low key fan effort, it's Rebellion themselves who are trying to get a TV show going. It's in development hell right now thanks to the pandemic, but reports are that they plan to adapt America as S1.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dredd is the protagonist, not the hero

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They have some kind of vr sex. Just because it's incomprehensible to the violence-boomer cop doesn't mean it's actually bad.

No, it does.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

Megillah, you've condensed the entire 10-year plot of the Judge Child saga into the original story and still got most of it wrong.

It's a gift.

Now let me tell you about the Strontium Dogs - a team of genetically enhanced canines bred to find alkaline earth metals in a post apocalyptic wasteland, but in space.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's a gift.

Now let me tell you about the Strontium Dogs - a team of genetically enhanced canines bred to find alkaline earth metals in a post apocalyptic wasteland, but in space.

Look, I'd like to hear this, but finding out ABC Warriors had nothing to do with robots championing galactic literacy, despite your claims, was somewhat traumatic.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You sing the the ballad of Halo Jones, while I dance to a different drum.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elissimpark posted:

Look, I'd like to hear this, but finding out ABC Warriors had nothing to do with robots championing galactic literacy, despite your claims, was somewhat traumatic.

That does sound like a story arc they'd do though.

Like Sesame Street with heavily armed robots. Man, I'd watch that every day.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That does sound like a story arc they'd do though.

Like Sesame Street with heavily armed robots. Man, I'd watch that every day.

There's the Orthography Commandos in Lobo, the Last Czarnian. Probably like that, but bloodier.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ynohtna posted:

You sing the the ballad of Halo Jones, while I dance to a different drum.

A joke subverted by the Different Drummers being a cult in Halo Jones book 1 and 2.

I would commit many foul deeds to see a Halo Jones adaptation.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah that was pretty cool, the anticipation and also feeling a lot more pain a lot longer. Don’t they show one guy hit the ground nose-first? The impact is agonizingly slow.

Okay maybe not cool and good but rad as a fictional concept to scare you

It's worse than that, actually. The first people you see splattered on the ground were skinned alive before being drugged and thrown over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

A joke subverted by the Different Drummers being a cult in Halo Jones book 1 and 2.

I would commit many foul deeds to see a Halo Jones adaptation.

They made a whole videogame series about him.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Baron von Eevl posted:

This. Dredd is shown to sleep in his helmet.

edit neither movie has Walter so they're both compromises at best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HMvJHuDlbw Agreed.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

When I was a teenager, I was trying to track down a copy of the recently released Halo graphic novel, and instead the library sent me The Ballad of Halo Jones, and I'm so glad they did. I don't actually remember if I ever read the Halo comic but I sure as hell never forgot Halo Jones.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The timeline to shang chi doesn't make any sense. The more I think about it the more irritated I get. Most of the time marvel locks down the annoying poo poo and little details but this time they just kinda left em out there.

Big/entire chunk of movie plot spoilers :
Shang's dad thinks his wife is locked away and being tortured behind the wall containing the evil big bad guy. He sends a postcard to Shang, with his sister's address on it for her fight club. He then waits literal months, has his kid attacked to steal his pendant, then waits until his kids are together to get the other pendant, then decides to wait 3 more days to go to the village and rescue her.

I fully admit I might be wrong on this, but there wasn't mention of any special date or anything they needed to go, just that pathway of the water map that they found. The lil critter dude Morris led em straight into the village without it being a specific day or time.

Wenwu just apparently worried so much about his wife being tortured that he was cool with waiting 10ish years to go rescue her (or however long it took to work out the map idea or research it/discover it), and then cool with waiting even longer cause of whatever arbitrary reason.

You could make the argument of insane megalomaniac, but honestly he seemed like he really loved her, and if he'd have just grabbed the pendants asap and didn't worry about involving the kids there would be no movie. Just seems weird there wasn't a middle ground between "what the gently caress" and "that won't work" though.

This is why I wish they'd have released it to video on demand cause I could rewatch it easier and see if there was anything I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I suppose you missed it because Dad did say that they could only go on a very specific day when the forest maze opens to outsiders. Sean and his friends are able to go earlier because they find a magical creature that is willing to help.

I have to imagine the winged tribble thing wasn't in to helping ol Dad.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Sep 13, 2021