Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I actually watched Filmore recently. It's got its low points, but for the most part it's pretty great. It's a police procedural with no murders and a heavy emphasis on reformation for criminals instead of just punishment. Also the weirdest thing about the school other than the unlimited number of clubs with infinite funding, is that there are no normal sports.

Hey Arnold has a weird different level when you're an old enough to understand different things that are going on. What still stands out most to me is the christmas episode about one of Arnold's regular neighbors being a Vietnam refugee. Might have some new relevance now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Never forget the Hannibal Lecter bathroom vandal in Filmore who was sentenced to in school suspension......FOR LIFE.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like a modern Fiimore would work or maybe do a version of Leverage but with kids at a school

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Leverage in a school is tricky because con artists only succeed by not being recognized.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How was the Lastman show?

It always intrigued me but I never got around to watching it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I enjoyed it. I don’t consider it amazing or anything but it’s weird and French and worth a watch if you’re interested. Be aware you’re going to need to do some reading if you want to see how the story goes.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 13, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It was very clearly on a tight budget but they made fairly good use of it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGh31qLBnFo

10 Year Old Tom is a new show on HBOMax starting September 30. It follows the character Tom, voiced by Steve Dildarian, a 10 year old kid who is forced into the strangest situtations by the adults around him. Steve Dildarian was the creator of The Life and Times of Tim, one of the funniest shows ever made that no one watched. Even though it aired for 3 seasons on HBO its not on HBOMax so your best bet is to find episodes on YouTube. Dildarian desrcibed The Life and Times of Tim as taking a normal guy and confronting him with as much conflict as possible. Some clips from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1zWM7FgcGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJ05l_r6aE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28tbF8PQvvE

It also stars Nick Kroll as Stu, the gooniest mother rucker in media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzNaC3IV-8

If you like absurd situational comedy this is your poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey nice, Primal won a shitload of Emmys! Hopefully this means GT and Co get huge piles of money to do whatever they want!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
More Millarworld, but this time not a live action drama with CW-tier costumes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0cD5kId-fs

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/insidejob/status/1441842341426327560?s=19

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1442185345794068486?s=19

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

limp_cheese posted:

10 Year Old Tom ... Steve Dildarian was the creator of The Life and Times of Tim, one of the funniest shows ever made..

Holy poo poo yes! Now that's something to get excited about!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looks neat, but also a premise about having wacky fun with conspiracy theories in the current environment is playing with fire.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I think Alex Hirch is the show runner so I’m pretty excited for this one.

limp_cheese posted:

10 Year Old Tom is a new show on HBOMax starting September 30. It follows the character Tom, voiced by Steve Dildarian, a 10 year old kid who is forced into the strangest situtations by the adults around him. Steve Dildarian was the creator of The Life and Times of Tim, one of the funniest shows ever made that no one watched. Even though it aired for 3 seasons on HBO its not on HBOMax so your best bet is to find episodes on YouTube. Dildarian desrcibed The Life and Times of Tim as taking a normal guy and confronting him with as much conflict as possible. Some clips from it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1zWM7FgcGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJ05l_r6aE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28tbF8PQvvE

It also stars Nick Kroll as Stu, the gooniest mother rucker in media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzNaC3IV-8

If you like absurd situational comedy this is your poo poo.

Getting strong Home Movies vibes from this. A good thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really enjoyed the first few seasons of the League, and was pretty bummed out to discover that Nick Kroll is painfully unfunny In absolutely everything else he’s ever done.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Looks neat, but also a premise about having wacky fun with conspiracy theories in the current environment is playing with fire.

I mean, maybe? But if you're gonna wait for stupid people to wise up the show's never gonna happen.

It's like when people were like "should we really be saying the hollow earth theory is real?" when Kong vs. Godzilla came out. Anyone taking things as truth/confirmation from a monster movie (or in this case, a comedy cartoon) does not need clearly fictional things to justify their crazy. They've got Newsmax for that heyoooooo tip your waitresses folks! :downsrim: But also there's never gonna be some global enlightenment where people stop believing bullshit unless you somehow blow up the internet... and then how would you watch Netflix? :v:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 27, 2021

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I am going to watch that show and probably enjoy it but good god am I never going to touch its online presence with a 10ft pole.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

readingatwork posted:

I think Alex Hirch is the show runner so I’m pretty excited for this one.

Inside Job comes from Gravity Falls writer Shion Takeuchi, with Alex Hirsch serving as co-executive producer.

The hidden frame in the trailer gives the telephone number 475-COGNITO (264-6486). It plays a recorded message with a backwards clip. Classic Hirsch!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

limp_cheese posted:

Steve Dildarian was the creator of The Life and Times of Tim, one of the funniest shows ever made that no one watched.
:supaburn: Yes please!!! Thank you! It's been a while since I got excited about a show coming up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

Inside Job comes from Gravity Falls writer Shion Takeuchi, with Alex Hirsch serving as co-executive producer.

Sign me the gently caress up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

I really enjoyed the first few seasons of the League, and was pretty bummed out to discover that Nick Kroll is painfully unfunny In absolutely everything else he’s ever done.

I dunno, I thought his guest appearances on What We Do In the Shadows were hilarious.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Kroll is one of those comedy guys from a wealthy, connected family who went to a top flight college, became a writer, got more connections with even more would-be comedy writers from wealthy families, and go on to be really mediocre and omnipresent, but also write a film where he's a dentist who fucks an olympic skater which is an oddly specific dream to have Mr. Kroll.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nick Kroll as Stu in The Life and Times of Tim is an amazing performance. You truly believe he is every bit the sad and broken man that he is. I wish I could find the clip of him being shut down by old dock workers in a pub when he plays "Who's hosed up the most?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Steve Dildarian was the creator of The Life and Times of Tim, one of the funniest shows ever made that no one watched. Even though it aired for 3 seasons on HBO its not on HBOMax so your best bet is to find episodes on YouTube.

Good news, they just added this to HBO Max.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Good news, they just added this to HBO Max.

loving outstanding. Everyone who gets a chance should watch it.

Here's the entire first half of the first episode of season 2. Each episode is split into 2 parts that are self contained stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIMmYSdQMtc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TwoPair posted:

I mean, maybe? But if you're gonna wait for stupid people to wise up the show's never gonna happen.

It's like when people were like "should we really be saying the hollow earth theory is real?" when Kong vs. Godzilla came out. Anyone taking things as truth/confirmation from a monster movie (or in this case, a comedy cartoon) does not need clearly fictional things to justify their crazy. They've got Newsmax for that heyoooooo tip your waitresses folks! :downsrim: But also there's never gonna be some global enlightenment where people stop believing bullshit unless you somehow blow up the internet... and then how would you watch Netflix? :v:

Also the Hollow Earth is the best explanation yet for how kaiju can exist as an ecosystem.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Until you remember that kaiju probably need light to see

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Journey to the Center of the Earth puts a miniature star in the cavity to illuminate it, not that that makes any sense either

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The entire first season of 10 Year Old Tom is up on HBOMax and after watching the first episode this is just the Life and Times of Tim. Same absurd situational comedy except now instead of an adult being pressured its a 10 year old kid being pressured to do steroids by his bus driver.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Until you remember that kaiju probably need light to see
not some of the kaiju in Ultra Q!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

The entire first season of 10 Year Old Tom is up on HBOMax and after watching the first episode this is just the Life and Times of Tim. Same absurd situational comedy except now instead of an adult being pressured its a 10 year old kid being pressured to do steroids by his bus driver.

Agreed, it’s pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just watched the first episode of Ten Year Old Tom and I spent most of it laughing like crazy.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

limp_cheese posted:

Nice, a glowing review!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Anybody who is on the fence with 10 Year Old Tom just needs to read the episode title "The Principal is Banging My Mom." I'm literally struggling to get through this episode, its just too god drat ridiculous.

Edit: Mother fucker just said "This dude is giving it raw to your mom and all you're getting is free pencils?!" Just god drat this show is too good.

Edit 2: Ask google how to stop our principal from banging moms.

I can't stop loving laughing.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 2, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I always thought it was dumb people did " quote but not edit" but I guess I'm guilty now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so this looks like it should be some good cheesy stop-motion fun;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2FolaY6JLg

and a pilot film they did for it a few years ago;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAuqceq8jME

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No Internet in my new apartment yet, so I’m watching whatever I’ve got loaded onto my PC, and I plowed through both seasons of The Critic.

Holy fuckin poo poo this show was ahead of it’s time. Jon Lovitz is giving an incredible performance in the voice studio, he is really selling every line even if the animation budget has fully petered out by the end of each season. I’m busting out with giggles at a ton of these jokes, but I’m more fascinated by the context of this show than anything. It’s like a totally perfect time capsule of ‘94-‘96, but the writing is split like 33% funny witticisms and animated hijinx, 33% dated 90’s humor about being fat & gay, and 34% Hollywood references that, at 33, I am barely old enough to get.

I just don’t know how anyone born after 9/11 could possibly find the movie references or the Hollywood actor jokes that funny unless they are extremely plugged in to 30+ year old Hollywood tropes, and a HUGE HUGE chunk of the joke budget revolves around people think Jay is gay, that he is a woman, or that he is fat in a comically absurd way. You just wouldn’t ever see a show constructed this way anymore for obvious reasons, and it’s wild to think that this was a prime time FOX comedy with gay jokes in literally almost every episode.

As an out queer, the humor falls squarely into the “isn’t being gay silly?” style of gay joke that I find inoffensive and harmless, it’s never that being gay is gross, it’s that Jay comes off as fruity and swishy and people assume he’s gay. The fat jokes aren’t that “Fat People are gross”, they’re like “Jay is so fat that military helicopters can’t air lift him out of Iraq”, so all in all I don’t feel like the show is really punching down, just really laying it on thick that Jay is an effeminate shlub, shlameal, and schlimazel.

I have also counted no fewer than 5 direct “Woody Allen is an obvious pedofile” jokes.

Overall I really recommend you give the show a watch if your tolerance for dated 90’s humor is overwhelmed by your love of dated 90’s pop-culture references, but even if the animation doesn’t do anything for you, Lovitz’s performance is special, I think it’s rare for an actor to do so well in the voice acting department.

Really made me hanker for Duckman, probably doing that next.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Jon Lovitz also once beat the poo poo out of Andy Dick so that's another reason to love him

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
that's what happens when you don't buy his book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

No Internet in my new apartment yet, so I’m watching whatever I’ve got loaded onto my PC, and I plowed through both seasons of The Critic.

Holy fuckin poo poo this show was ahead of it’s time. Jon Lovitz is giving an incredible performance in the voice studio, he is really selling every line even if the animation budget has fully petered out by the end of each season. I’m busting out with giggles at a ton of these jokes, but I’m more fascinated by the context of this show than anything. It’s like a totally perfect time capsule of ‘94-‘96, but the writing is split like 33% funny witticisms and animated hijinx, 33% dated 90’s humor about being fat & gay, and 34% Hollywood references that, at 33, I am barely old enough to get.

I just don’t know how anyone born after 9/11 could possibly find the movie references or the Hollywood actor jokes that funny unless they are extremely plugged in to 30+ year old Hollywood tropes, and a HUGE HUGE chunk of the joke budget revolves around people think Jay is gay, that he is a woman, or that he is fat in a comically absurd way. You just wouldn’t ever see a show constructed this way anymore for obvious reasons, and it’s wild to think that this was a prime time FOX comedy with gay jokes in literally almost every episode.

As an out queer, the humor falls squarely into the “isn’t being gay silly?” style of gay joke that I find inoffensive and harmless, it’s never that being gay is gross, it’s that Jay comes off as fruity and swishy and people assume he’s gay. The fat jokes aren’t that “Fat People are gross”, they’re like “Jay is so fat that military helicopters can’t air lift him out of Iraq”, so all in all I don’t feel like the show is really punching down, just really laying it on thick that Jay is an effeminate shlub, shlameal, and schlimazel.

I have also counted no fewer than 5 direct “Woody Allen is an obvious pedofile” jokes.

Overall I really recommend you give the show a watch if your tolerance for dated 90’s humor is overwhelmed by your love of dated 90’s pop-culture references, but even if the animation doesn’t do anything for you, Lovitz’s performance is special, I think it’s rare for an actor to do so well in the voice acting department.

Really made me hanker for Duckman, probably doing that next.

The Critic is really a gem of its time and a bit underappreciated when it came out. Its first season was on ABC as an attempt to cut into The Simpsons's lunch but it stuck out like a sore thumb amongst its more wholesome live action sitcom contemporaries and got canned after half of a season and finished it out on Fox. Its second season started there and followed after The Simpsons in scheduling, at least initially, and was helped out with the crossover ep where Jay shows up. It then got shuffled to a different time slot and died there with a whimper. It was a show that was probably a decade+ ahead of its time, Instead, it existed in the mid 90s where The Simpsons reigned supreme and no animated sitcom could be allowed to live for long while it reigned supreme.