Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

I should get around to making Jose Andres cheater version, with potato chips. Has anyone tried it?

If I ever come across Funyuns, whatever that is, over here I'll use them for something else though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK5aIaKG8O4

Funyuns tasty like crispy fried onion powder. They’re terrible, and also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

DekeThornton posted:

I should get around to making Jose Andres cheater version, with potato chips. Has anyone tried it?

If I ever come across Funyuns, whatever that is, over here I'll use them for something else though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK5aIaKG8O4

I often use potato chips and it's great.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe share your recipe? Or add more salt.

This is what I used yesterday, https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/red-beans-and-rice-2/. Some salt might be a good idea with the leftovers.

I actually can't find the l ink to what I used pre-IP but one of my fails was that the recipe called for bullion and I misunderstood the conversion to cubes from a loose format from teaspoons and tablespoons and it was TOO salty.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rick posted:

This is what I used yesterday, https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/red-beans-and-rice-2/. Some salt might be a good idea with the leftovers.

I actually can't find the l ink to what I used pre-IP but one of my fails was that the recipe called for bullion and I misunderstood the conversion to cubes from a loose format from teaspoons and tablespoons and it was TOO salty.

I find that if I add too much bullion not only does it make the dish very expensive, but there’s often a strong metallic taste.

mystes
May 31, 2006

therattle posted:

I find that if I add too much bullion not only does it make the dish very expensive, but there’s often a strong metallic taste.
Lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

therattle posted:

lmao, poo poo. I'm gonna just take this L.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
"poo poo what's in the pantry" salsa turned out suprisingly well. Roasted up the lone poblano and mortar and pestled it up with some chipotles in adobo, cilantro, garlic, lemon, and a splash of tequila. Now I just have to not keep 'tasting for seasoning' and wait on the pork.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Rick posted:

Sufficient salt is definitely needed for beans imo, like refried beans taste weird until you hit the right salt level then they’re good. Depending on what brand of chicken stock you got you may just be adding a bunch of salt to it since it’s usually pretty salty.

So I’d say make sure there’s enough salt in the cooking water. I usually soak beans before cooking (I find it helps even cooking of beans) and if it’s a whole bean dish then I’ll soak them in salted water first (discarding the soaking water before cooking). If you want to soak them Kenji of seriouseats recommends 1 tbsp kosher salt per quart of water, or 15g per liter. Most of it doesn’t end up in the beans I think, they just taste seasoned to me. But I’m also a bit of a salt hound.

But just make sure you’re getting them seasoned inside and out. And if that’s not it yet then you’d need to look at the aromatics; more celery/bell pepper/onion/whatever and whatever spices you have too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think you are are right that my hesitance to oversalt is the problem. I don't totally trust myself with salt and cooking, I've rarely been able to employ it and not ending up feeling it's too salty. I did soak them overnight but did not salt the soaking water.

I am going to say it is actually REALLY GOOD reheated two days later. Everything thickened up nicely and the sausage is not sour anymore. It tastes more like refried beans than cajun red beans but still good.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 14, 2021

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Rick posted:

Not totally sure where to post this but what the heck why not here.

Red Beans and Rice man. I love it. The first time I tried to make it a few years ago I was dead broke and made it last a week. Every other time I made it though, instead of getting better at it, I seemed to either completely flub it or make some mistake that made it less good. And the beans. The beans were never cooked quite right.

So I got an Instant Pot a couple years ago. Both times I made it, the beans came up great. But the flavor is just all wrong. The receipe I used today called for chicken broth instead of bullion cubes and I gave it a try and in the end everything was so bland. First of all I messed up, I tried to go with chorizo instead of the normal andouille sausage, and I don't know what it is about the process, but it made the sausage kind of gross. I dropped a couple bullion cubes in after eating the first batch and it helped the overall taste profile a little but this is not great still. Which is too bad because the beans are perfect.

Maybe next time I pressure cook the beans in the IP for 25, and then put them in a regular pot with the meat + spice + leaves and simmer it for an hour.

The Creole & Cajun thread might have what you're looking for as well, it's my current "leave bookmarked and read a few pages a week" thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Oh man any time I cook dry beans I always wish I had cooked them the day before and let them chill in the fridge overnight.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The safest bet is to just always be cooking future beans

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Or buy and instant pot and just deal with the fact that unless you're making falafel the next day you're never going to actually presoak your legumes because planning ahead is for winners.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Or buy and instant pot and just deal with the fact that unless you're making falafel the next day you're never going to actually presoak your legumes because planning ahead is for winners.
Yeah I presoak chickpeas for falafel but everything else I just pressure cook without soaking because it comes out fine.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
With the exception of cast iron for super high heat searing, and a simple non-stick pan for quick eggs, I pretty much find that stainless steel (specifically triclad) is just the best cookware for pretty much everything else. Am I dumb, or is this a reasonable stance. I am still a pretty new active cook.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Skyarb posted:

With the exception of cast iron for super high heat searing, and a simple non-stick pan for quick eggs, I pretty much find that stainless steel (specifically triclad) is just the best cookware for pretty much everything else. Am I dumb, or is this a reasonable stance. I am still a pretty new active cook.
This is very reasonable imo. You really only need like one non stick pan and it makes a fair amount of sense to get a cheap one (since they aren't very durable) and use clad stainless for most things.

A lot of people insist on everything being nonstick but then you either have to replace them all very frequently or the Teflon will come off and they won't actually be nonstick anyway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got most of my daily cookery knowledge from being forced to do it over and over again in commercial kitchens, so I have a deep and abiding love for stainless steel in all its permutations. It's culinary mithril.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Every time someone gets precious about their pots and pans I show them photos I've saved of various things I've used in professional kitchens. Even in the nicest kitchen we were using stainless pans that looked like they'd been kicked across a tarmac for hours.

Stainless, cast iron, maybe an enameled dutch oven, and non-sticks you can replace yearly. That's a good set up for anything.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Most kitchens I've worked in none of the pans on the line are even flat on the bottom anymore.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pile of brown posted:

Most kitchens I've worked in none of the pans on the line are even flat on the bottom anymore.

Nice to know this isn't unique to my city.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Mister Facetious posted:

Nice to know this isn't unique to my city.

Hell, the only things in any kitchen I've worked in that are ever in any shape other than beat to poo poo are personal knives and anything that belongs to pastry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rant incoming

Have you ever (at least sort of) mastered making a meal at home, and then been tasked with doing it elsewhere and just completely hosed it up? It's like, one of the most frustrating things ever. I did it yesterday and I kind of just wanted to go out to my car and scream lol. Everyone seem to love it anyways? Everyone absolutely crushed the massive amount of food I cooked, but I knew it was total trash and I was so mad at myself.

I've been making fajitas like crazy at home lately, just cause it's a fun meal to make and eat on the weekends. I've made them for years, but recently I feel like I have gone from making totally decent fajitas to making fajitas that you'd expect at a good restaurant (outside of just buying my tortillas. I need to rectify that soon. shameful). I mentioned to my mom in passing that "I make pretty drat good fajitas" and then she tells my family I'm gonna make them for everyone this weekend, which was news to me, but I was kind of stoked because I wanted to share how good at it I had gotten. But I've only made them at my house before and I was going to my brother's place for this, just crossing my fingers it would work out. It did not. First off, I usually cook the steak on my insanely volatile old pos grill that I love, because the second fat starts dripping it just starts belching flames everywhere and that is basically the only way I know how to cook a good steak outside of a pan. If I am using it I can get every inch of it perfectly seared and smoky and delicious at a perfect medium rare. Not so on my brothers grill! my god I hate this piece of poo poo. Max heat is somewhere around medium. 85% of the slats are covered with some sort of stupid built in griddle, so I can't even get it over any sort of open flame just awful. I'm just sitting there trying to get a read on what's going on. Turns out what was going on was "insanely well done on the inside and wet on the outside" I may as well have just boiled the skirt steak. Disgusting. Then at the same time I am trying to cook everything else and the biggest elk buck I've ever seen walks up to the door and my family is screaming about how I need to come look at the elk (it really is insanely big). I tell them I am trying to cook but eventually give in and it all turns to mush. The result were revolting. if I made it at home I would have called it a bust and chopped it into dust to make it into some sort of ghetto cheesesteak or sandwich mix. To top everything off I couldn't find a ripe avocado to save my life so my normally awesome guac just tasted like grainy bananas. No one else seemed to care. My family can't cook for poo poo for the most part and will eat anything. But I was so mad I could barely hide it lol.

Rant over thanks for reading.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 20, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Rant incoming

Have you ever (at least sort of) mastered making a meal at home, and then been tasked with doing it elsewhere and just completely hosed it up? It's like, one of the most frustrating things ever. I did it yesterday and I kind of just wanted to go out to my car and scream lol. Everyone seem to love it anyways? Everyone absolutely crushed the massive amount of food I cooked, but I knew it was total trash and I was so mad at myself.

I've been making fajitas like crazy at home lately, just cause it's a fun meal to make and eat on the weekends. I've made them for years, but recently I feel like I have gone from making totally decent fajitas to making fajitas that you'd expect at a good restaurant (outside of just buying my tortillas. I need to rectify that soon. shameful). I mentioned to my mom in passing that "I make pretty drat good fajitas" and then she tells my family I'm gonna make them for everyone this weekend, which was news to me, but I was kind of stoked because I wanted to share how good at it I had gotten. But I've only made them at my house before and I was going to my brother's place for this, just crossing my fingers it would work out. It did not. First off, I usually cook the steak on my insanely volatile old pos grill that I love, because the second fat starts dripping it just starts belching flames everywhere and that is basically the only way I know how to cook a good steak outside of a pan. If I am using it I can get every inch of it perfectly seared and smoky and delicious at a perfect medium rare. Not so on my brothers grill! my god I hate this piece of poo poo. Max heat is somewhere around medium. 85% of the slats are covered with some sort of stupid built in griddle, so I can't even get it over any sort of open flame just awful. I'm just sitting there trying to get a read on what's going on. Turns out what was going on was "insanely well done on the inside and wet on the outside" I may as well have just boiled the skirt steak. Disgusting. Then at the same time I am trying to cook everything else and the biggest elk buck I've ever seen walks up to the door and my family is screaming about how I need to come look at the elk (it really is insanely big). I tell them I am trying to cook but eventually give in and it all turns to mush. The result were revolting. if I made it at home I would have called it a bust and chopped it into dust to make it into some sort of ghetto cheesesteak or sandwich mix. To top everything off I couldn't find a ripe avocado to save my life so my normally awesome guac just tasted like grainy bananas. No one else seemed to care. My family can't cook for poo poo for the most part and will eat anything. But I was so mad I could barely hide it lol.

For me this is people's lovely knives or the poo poo knives in an airbnb. I feel like I can adapt to lovely stoves, horrible pans, uneven ovens pretty easily but having to give up on using a chef's knife because it's chipped and dull and awful is the worst. I've cut so many things with steak knives in lovely apartments and it just starts the whole prep process in such an awful way that it somewhat puts me off entirely.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, cooking away from home is just really hard, particularly when you're trying to do something special where good enough isn't.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Rant incoming

Oh man that sucks. Fajitas get weird so fast. At least your family was cool about it. Times like that are when I'm glad my family can't really tell good food from just wet calories. I've hosed up a pot roast bad enough to call it Nebraska ropa veija and they ate it with smiles on their faces, wondering why I was so mad at a delicious pot roast. Sometimes you gotta go yell in the car while everyone eats your slop and that's okay.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 20, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

For me this is people's lovely knives or the poo poo knives in an airbnb. I feel like I can adapt to lovely stoves, horrible pans, uneven ovens pretty easily but having to give up on using a chef's knife because it's chipped and dull and awful is the worst. I've cut so many things with steak knives in lovely apartments and it just starts the whole prep process in such an awful way that it somewhat puts me off entirely.

I made dinner at my sister in laws and asked for a bread knife and cutting board for the bread

She gave me a serrated steak knife and a chinette plate

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Cooking outside of one’s familiar setting is tough. And whenever I travel if possible I take knives and a board (a big thin IKEA one).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh right this was also the time I was informed partway through cooking that 1.) they have well water, not municipal water, 2.) it's incredibly hard and needs to be filtered for potability, and just isn't right now, and 3.) it also isn't running right now regardless because too many people flushed a toilet?

I've had less bootleg camp cookouts than that house

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That's every house where I'm from. Even the municipal water was crunchy. I started bringing a Britta pitcher with me if I cooked at someone's house just in case.

Speaking of, if you're going to cook at someone's house you should really have a small duffel bag with your knives and a cutting board and spices and kosher salt. loving no one has kosher salt. It's saved me pretty much every time. Sure people think I'm being silly but I don't wanna cut onions on a glass cutting board with a ceramic knife ever again and I'll look like a lunatic to avoid it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ive long since gotten over any amount of shame for just bringing my entire knife roll somewhere if I'm going to be expected to cook. It also leads to fun exchanges sometimes on public transit:

"Hey is that a yoga mat?"
"No it's a bag full of knives"
"Woah, how did they let you get on with that?"
"Well, everyone thinks its a yoga mat"

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I was once invited to a Thanksgiving since I was alone that year and somehow none of the hosts knew how to carve a turkey even though they had chosen to cook it. Hell is trying to carve someone else's turkey on a slippery glass cutting board with the world's dullest serrated "chef knife" and not leave it a shredded mess.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why the gently caress does everyone have a glass cutting board?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Could it be for making candy? I used to have a marble board... Some stuff has to be worked cold.

Is there a technique for cutting things wearing gloves? I have weird shaped hands - wide palms, shorter fingers, so I have to use XL sized gloves, or they often rip. The longer finger tips keep getting cut while I prep stuff. My volunteer cooking gig requires gloves 100% of the time (immune compromised kids/families) and it's a struggle. Also no latex (for them, not me) - and I admittedly have not the world's best knife skills.

Been trying to use my mandolin as much as possible but I keep nicking the gloves.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Arkhamina posted:

Could it be for making candy? I used to have a marble board... Some stuff has to be worked cold.

Interesting theory. I usually see them under some Ritz and slices of Yancey's peppadew

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
No, lots of people just have glass cutting boards. I think they think they look nice and are easy to clean. That, or they were once cut by a sharp knife and made it their life’s mission to dull every knife they used.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume people who use glass cutting boards are worried about sanitary surfaces more than anything else. Or they're just old, old people love glass cutting boards.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VelociBacon posted:

"The sharper your knife, the less you cry" *

Because dull knives are dangerous af (knew a chef that had to get a half dozen stitches in his index finger because a knife slid instead of sliced. :ohdear:

* I actually prefer her second book on Audible

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, I knew a guy who hosed his hand up cutting an onion with a dull knife after it cut the first layer, hit the second, then just slid out at an angle

An angle tangential to the interior of his hand

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, sharp knives are much safer than blunt ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I love cooking at my mother's because she's got a great set up, nice big gas range, dual convection ovens, and a huge collection of really good wine. The only problem is she always wants to save time by getting all my requested ingredients ahead of time which means that's one less trip to Caputos for me. If you've never been to a Caputos they are the greatest grocery store in the world (aside from really terrible baguettes) and you should make a trip to Chicago just to go to one. Last christmas I was up there and they had a big sign on the door that read "Yes we have live eels".