Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It really is a shame Raven forgot what made SoF so great (it’s over the top, campy, 90s action movie vibe and villains and violence) and with SoF II went with a much more grounded narrative and trying to be semi more realistic.

i remember the marketing for SoF and the interviews with the fuckin guy and i think it was supposed to be Dark and Realistic from the start but that essentially nobody had done that when SoF 1 was being developed. Gritty dark shooters were a lot more common when SoFII came out and the template for them was set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Carpator Diei posted:

Are there mods that combine AD with the gameplay changes from Copper?
Nope.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Beating E4M6 UV Pistol Start is my crowning achievement thus far. Map 13 is shaping up to be close though.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Hasturtium posted:

Anyone have experience with QuakeSpasm on macOS? I’ve got Quake living in ~/Quake on my 2015 MacBook Pro, and the VkQuake executable I compiled myself works just fine in that folder, but after unzipping and running QuakeSpasm to the same folder it insists that it can’t find gfx.wad and that it needs to have access to the /id1 folder. Any ideas?

See the stuff mentioned here: https://www.reddit.com/r/quake/comments/bk1a9s/comment/emhq486/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm sorry, but this doesn't help. I've set up everything with that, using the SLQ2 launcher, selecting Arcane Dimensions from the mod dropdown, and starting that just gets me to vanilla Quake. Trying to choose a map from that menu brings me to the console saying it can't launch that. Are there steps I'm missing?

Did you download/install AD using the Quakestarter menus? If not, then remove whatever you manually installed, and install it through Quakestarter instead. Just to make sure everything is in the right place.

Now launch it using the Quakestarter menus.

I would be super surprised if that doesn't work. Once we're sure that works, then you can try launching it through SQL2 (if you'd prefer to use SQL2), and if there's some problem there we can chase that down.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah it's good but considerably harder than AD imo. I wish all mods used AD as a base tbh. I really like the projectile shotguns

I have to ask, why do you like weaker Quake shotguns?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

JLaw posted:

Did you download/install AD using the Quakestarter menus? If not, then remove whatever you manually installed, and install it through Quakestarter instead. Just to make sure everything is in the right place.

Now launch it using the Quakestarter menus.

I would be super surprised if that doesn't work. Once we're sure that works, then you can try launching it through SQL2 (if you'd prefer to use SQL2), and if there's some problem there we can chase that down.

OK, here's the deal. Now that I know how to launch AD, whenever I try to I get the message "couldn't exec autoexec.cfg". Is there some step I'm missing? I tried bringing this up in the Discord this morning and Kinsie didn't have an answer. This is launching it through either Quakespasm-Spiked on its own or with SQL2.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

This sounds stupid, but have you put the files in the correct place? You should have two subfolders in your quakespasm folder: /id1/ with your retail PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK files and /AD/ which contains the extracted contents of ad_v1_80p1final.zip. Then you can make a shortcut for quakespasm and add -game AD and it should just load. Like so:

It's the same method for vkquake/qs/qss/markv/fte etc. I'm not sure why it's complaining about an autoexec.cfg, but maybe you have a weird malformed one in one of your game directories. To be safe check your id1 folder and ad folder and delete any copies that you see in there, if there are any.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Grimthwacker posted:

OK, here's the deal. Now that I know how to launch AD, whenever I try to I get the message "couldn't exec autoexec.cfg". Is there some step I'm missing? I tried bringing this up in the Discord this morning and Kinsie didn't have an answer. This is launching it through either Quakespasm-Spiked on its own or with SQL2.

That's fine, as long as you don't actually have an autoexec.cfg file that you are wanting to use.

What happens when you launch AD and then choose to start a new game? It should put you into the AD start map.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

A.o.D. posted:

I have to ask, why do you like weaker Quake shotguns?

Are they actually shot for shot weaker? I still thought it took about the same number of hits to down enemies. If you mean weaker in the sense that they're not hitscan anymore, idk I just like the feel of having to lead a bit.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

JLaw posted:

That's fine, as long as you don't actually have an autoexec.cfg file that you are wanting to use.

What happens when you launch AD and then choose to start a new game? It should put you into the AD start map.

If I try to launch from SQL2 with AD selected, it brings me to the vanilla Quake start map. When I try to launch AD from the vanilla Quake start map, I get the error message.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

If you're getting the message "Couldn't exec autoexec.cfg" in the console and the game doesn't crash, then it's absolutely nothing to worry about in itself. It simply means the game checked for the existence of an autoexec.cfg in your id1 & ad folder and couldn't find out. If you haven't written one, there won't be one there.

From what you've said, it sounds like you've incorrectly installed ad. What's probably happening is when SQL2 passes the -game argument to your source port, it can't find the pak files and doesn't end up loading anything. This would explain why you're getting the vanilla start map. Again, extract the files from ad_v1_80p1final.zip into a folder called ad and place that folder in the base directory of your sourceport of choice. So you'll end up with the files pak0.pak, ad_1_8.def and all that stuff in a folder like 'c:\path\to\quakespasm\ad'. Make a shortcut like in the screenshot in my previous post and put -game ad after the .exe in the 'target' box and it should work. You can also type 'game ad' in the console and it should also work that way.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

OK, that actually works. I'll mess around with it tomorrow, but for now thanks a lot for the help.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

After much tinkering with my MiSTer I got it set up, installed some classics and have been generally having a blast. I installed Dark Forces and have been happily humming the Star Wars theme to myself while gunning down imperials but man having not played old FPSes in ages getting used to the controls has been an interesting process.

It did get me wondering about early FPS control schemes in general though. I was alive in the era but when I was a kid Doom and Duke 3D were both strictly forbidden in my household, meaning I only really played Doom in brief snatches at a friend's place and drifted away from FPSes in general for a while. By the time I came back, WASD + mouselook was pretty firmly established. For those pre-mouselook games, was there ever any sort of standardized control scheme that players seemed to settle on?

Last year some russian hackers actually modded mouselook into Dark Forces. Its EXCELLENT. look up Dark Forces DeHacker 1

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh poo poo, that's awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
SoF update: I just fought ninjas with a microwave cannon, in a setting that was very much inspired by Die Hard. This is Last Action Hero levels of over the top and I'm loving it.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

MMF Freeway posted:

Are they actually shot for shot weaker? I still thought it took about the same number of hits to down enemies. If you mean weaker in the sense that they're not hitscan anymore, idk I just like the feel of having to lead a bit.

It's been a minute but didn't AD shift the hp/dmg numbers around for everything to pick up the pace slightly and make things less tedious? Knights take 3 shots instead of 3 and change (4), etc.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The shotguns used to do a tiny bit more damage, but those changes were reverted around the same time they changed the smaller projectile size for rockets and nails back to the id default. Probably version 1.70-ish?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

caleb posted:

It's been a minute but didn't AD shift the hp/dmg numbers around for everything to pick up the pace slightly and make things less tedious? Knights take 3 shots instead of 3 and change (4), etc.

You might be thinking of Copper, particularly w.r.t. knights. http://test.lunaran.com/copper/changes/#other-monsters

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
An new trailer for the Rekkr expansion/commercial release, showing two new enemies:
https://twitter.com/RevaeRavus/status/1436568562374627339

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just got through Dimension of the Past. The whole episode is really well put together with a nice mix of interesting level design that includes a lot of simple but effective visual embellishments alongside the various encounters. The final level was really special for me. It wasn't particularly hard, but there was a wow-factor where I started making GBS threads myself when I realized it was a remake/expanded version of the Shub-Niggurath level. Really cool concept for an episode overall.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

An new trailer for the Rekkr expansion/commercial release, showing two new enemies:
https://twitter.com/RevaeRavus/status/1436568562374627339

this might sound really stupid but i hope it includes significant gameplay changes from the original

the idea of rekkr is really compelling but everyone i trust about doom wads/mods has said the gameplay is pretty crappy, and I'd love if that got reworked

(that said, I don't always like what is good, hated shrine which most people love, yadda yadda)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rekkr has a weapon set/ammunition problem where your early weapons are absolutely dire, both in damage, ammo consumption, and reload time. Honestly, none of the weapons feel very good, its just once you get the explosive weapon (which weirdly is a mid range weapon) and thus can actually kill things without tremendous struggle it feels less awful to switch back to your crappier ones in the edge scenarios where you'd use them.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Arivia posted:

this might sound really stupid but i hope it includes significant gameplay changes from the original
According to the Doomworld thread all the weapons aside from the rune staff will get a speed increase, so they'll at least be a bit better, probably.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Dramicus posted:

I just got through Dimension of the Past. The whole episode is really well put together with a nice mix of interesting level design that includes a lot of simple but effective visual embellishments alongside the various encounters. The final level was really special for me. It wasn't particularly hard, but there was a wow-factor where I started making GBS threads myself when I realized it was a remake/expanded version of the Shub-Niggurath level. Really cool concept for an episode overall.

If you haven't played Dimension of the Machine yet, you're in for a treat. There are a ton of new visual assets and some really interesting, sprawling level designs. They really went hard on it.

I keep thinking of Valheim and other games with an artiful, early 3D aesthetic. If you released Dimension of the Machine as a standalone game it'd easily be some sort of indie darling for 2021. It looks so good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Early FPS Megathread: there was a wow-factor where I started making GBS threads myself

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As if you don't break out the huggies when it's time for Quake.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
please do not taint shambler hugs by saying such crude things

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dramicus posted:

As if you don't break out the huggies when it's time for Quake.

i just lay on a tarp

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm happy that someone remembers Soldier of Fortune. Its such a wonderful product of its time, and isn't JUST a showcase for the gore. I mean, it basically is, but it only works because the fundamentals (level design, atmosphere, etc) are strong too.

As someone else noted, the 2nd one is so different it's practically its own series.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Been playing Cruelty Squad and enjoying it. I'm pretty bad at it, so I'm glad that the levels are doable by sneaking around and picking doodz off. I immediately degraded to Power in Misery and have been the entire time, though.

Next, I gotta find the fishing rod and make some money.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Soldier of Fortune is 100% stupid and 100% rules. It's so much fun, my favorite Raven game. The weapons feel great, the level design is top notch. It kind of loses steam a little bit near the end but that's a lot of games even to this day.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The only "bad" thing I can say about SoF1 is that certain weapons (namely pistol caliber weapons) do nothing towards the end with almost every enemy being armored, forcing you to stop using the shotgun for bodyshots and the supressed SMG becomes useless (same as the 9mm pistol). You can still run like mad with the LMG, hipfiring the sniper rifle and of course use the 5.56SMG.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My experience of SoF, which I think was mostly universal in the neighborhood at the time, was playing 2/3rds of the first stage nutshotting mooks with the shotgun, then having your time run out and enjoy watching other people nutshot mooks in the local netcafe. The circle of balls, if you will.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think everyone stop and shot every limb on a body only to see that a lower body shot exposed the low-poly intestines.

I think I'm now ready for another playthrough soon.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

They should make a new one and lean on the schtick of the first game. And get Raven to do it instead of leaving them stuck in COD purgatory.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i bought sof1 and 2 from gog a while ago but couldn't get 1 to run for some reason. 2 works fine though and i always kind of preferred the higher-stakes tactical gameplay to the q2-style mayhem of 1. they both rule though

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I think everyone stop and shot every limb on a body only to see that a lower body shot exposed the low-poly intestines.

I think I'm now ready for another playthrough soon.

Still remember that one death animation where the dead guy falls on top of his guts and they kinda wobble around

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Weedle posted:

i bought sof1 and 2 from gog a while ago but couldn't get 1 to run for some reason. 2 works fine though and i always kind of preferred the higher-stakes tactical gameplay to the q2-style mayhem of 1. they both rule though

If you're on Windows 10 it will take some doing. First you need to download the fan patch SofPlus which will add widescreen support and fix some bugs/vulnerabilities tha still exist in retail versions. Be sure to overwrite whatver it asks. Then make a copy of the game exe and rename it to mohaa.exe and run *that* exe to play the game, but you still keep the sof.exe in the same directory. For some reason this will fix whatver DLL issue that causes the instant crash.

There are some other steps you can try that are on the PCGamingwiki but this is what worked for me.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Soldier_of_Fortune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

UnknownMercenary posted:

If you're on Windows 10 it will take some doing. First you need to download the fan patch SofPlus which will add widescreen support and fix some bugs/vulnerabilities tha still exist in retail versions. Be sure to overwrite whatver it asks. Then make a copy of the game exe and rename it to mohaa.exe and run *that* exe to play the game, but you still keep the sof.exe in the same directory. For some reason this will fix whatver DLL issue that causes the instant crash.

There are some other steps you can try that are on the PCGamingwiki but this is what worked for me.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Soldier_of_Fortune

thank you! i refunded it but next time it goes on sale i'll buy it again and try this

e: oh it's on sale right now. sick