Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Is getting way hornier than usual way more easily than usual a PMS thing, or is it a during-MS thing?

edit: this is not a good snype :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

YeahTubaMike posted:

Is getting way hornier than usual way more easily than usual a PMS thing, or is it a during-MS thing?

edit: this is not a good snype :smith:

It can be both.

I know both happen to me.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

hopeandjoy posted:

It can be both.

Same here.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
So the continuous birth control wound up giving me gallstones. So, back to having my period I guess and I just deal with the PMDD. So this will be fun.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

HellOnEarth posted:

So the continuous birth control wound up giving me gallstones. So, back to having my period I guess and I just deal with the PMDD. So this will be fun.

Username/post combo.

But for real that sucks! I’m on the stage where I get 2-3 days of spotting, and an emotional hair trigger to rage or tears. Hooray ><

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

hopeandjoy posted:

It can be both.

Oh good, my friend who I was asking for will be relieved to learn this. :ninja:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah it's absolutly a thing, one of the very few perks of the hormone cycle. :v:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah it's absolutly a thing, one of the very few perks of the hormone cycle. :v:

My friend told me that she doesn't view this as a perk, but rather a distraction for which she doesn't have much of an outlet and which makes watching shows that contain partial nudity that is not meant to be erotic kind of awkward.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
for me lately i lose like all of my sex drive in the week leading up to my period and then gain it back and then some a few days into it

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My period is usually a huge-rear end flood. This month, it's just spotty. It's also late.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Ok I gotta ask a potentially gross question, but google is failing me as to whether this is common or not.

Does anyone else deal with oral thrush/candida after their period? It seems to happen after about 50% of my periods, and I always assumed it was due to temporary iron deficiency. The internet also says is just bc your ph goes bonkers so your body says ok we’re doing this now. A good boost in iron (like a burger) seems to clear it up, but I wasn’t sure if others dealt with this, and if they had any tips to stop it from happening. I just hate the taste in my mouth for a couple of days.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

omg how did i only discover this thread now!! tears

teen witch posted:

having your period in the hot rear end summer: is this punishment?

^ isn't it all a punishment

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

Ok I gotta ask a potentially gross question, but google is failing me as to whether this is common or not.

Does anyone else deal with oral thrush/candida after their period? It seems to happen after about 50% of my periods, and I always assumed it was due to temporary iron deficiency. The internet also says is just bc your ph goes bonkers so your body says ok we’re doing this now. A good boost in iron (like a burger) seems to clear it up, but I wasn’t sure if others dealt with this, and if they had any tips to stop it from happening. I just hate the taste in my mouth for a couple of days.

Yeah, sometimes. And I get those horrid little cyst things about half the time, too, like tiny boils on my bits and pieces that take a week or so to go away. I dunno if you can stop oral thrush from happening but if you can get a miconazole oral gel that should knock it out pretty fast.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

I was gonna answer ‘yes’ to this, but I more experience vaginal thrush/itching roughly twice a year after a period.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

HellOnEarth posted:

:negative:

I hope you find something that works.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I feel like I get exponentially sweatier during my period but it could also just be that I'm hyperaware of all my body's grossness during that time.

I'm on my second period with the Nuvaring and it seems like it takes days for it to start but it's over pretty quick now.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Second post-double pfizer vax period and it's just as suspiciously light as the last one which also only lasted four days when typically for me it's eight, I'm certainly not complaining but this is literally the opposite of what's happened to everyone else I've spoken to.

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013
So I'm 19 months into the 5 year Kyleena. I know it was stupid but I got my hopes up re coil = no period and so far, it's made barely any difference. Has anyone had any luck with poo poo changing this late in or do I just accept it's not going to happen?

On a completely different, disgusting note this has always bothered me but like... why aren't periods fetishised more? I'm glad they're not but it's always seemed weird. Compare it to scat, for example, which is also a bodily output yet seems to be 100x more prevalent and poop is arguably way grosser than periods. Everything else women do is fetishised (fat? thin? hairy? bald? angry at the patriarchy?) but menstruating is... not? Am I crazy for noticing???

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

HellOnEarth posted:

I just got rid of my gallbladder to save time.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Everett False posted:

I just got rid of my gallbladder to save time.

See, that's the thing: I don't have a gallbladder. They took it out when I had my liver transplant. The stones are/were just chilling in the bile duct. They may have broken up by now because the jaundice went away about a week after stopping the birth control and I never had any pain.

So basically, I don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Ayin posted:

:negative:

I hope you find something that works.

Unfortunately, I think the only answer is "suck it up" til menopause. Unless, of course, the PMDD was being caused by being on the birth control in the first place, in which case this might be a problem that solved itself.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I feel like I get exponentially sweatier during my period but it could also just be that I'm hyperaware of all my body's grossness during that time.

100%, or at least it smells stronger.

Stupid dark period started yesterday, two weeks early! This is what I get for the last period being so easy and non-crampy I guess.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mine decided to do a half-assed start three days before it actually started, which was SUPER CUTE.

I think this IUD is my last round of birth control. My partner's the one who doesn't want kids and they can drat well get snipped next time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I got blood on my shorts while driving to class.

Class is 45 minutes away from home. :negative:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

HellOnEarth posted:

See, that's the thing: I don't have a gallbladder. They took it out when I had my liver transplant. The stones are/were just chilling in the bile duct. They may have broken up by now because the jaundice went away about a week after stopping the birth control and I never had any pain.

So basically, I don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:
Holy poo poo :psyduck:

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
You know I feel like the last few months I’ve gotten a bit of a reprieve from the “oh I’m not moving from the couch please kill me” cramps. Haha NOT TODAY

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Finally having a normal-ish blood flood for the first time since like...April, or maybe May. Good job, body.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Period started today, which is meh but also explains why I’ve been feeling so crazy all week. But here’s the upshot: for the second month in a row, I’m synced to the full moon! My witchy lil heart is so glad.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

For the last few weeks I've been making some slow but steady progress with weight loss. I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and I was super unhappy. How the hell did I gain two kilos overnight?

:argh:

I better piss all this water weight out here in a few days.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Ralph Crammed In posted:

For the last few weeks I've been making some slow but steady progress with weight loss. I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and I was super unhappy. How the hell did I gain two kilos overnight?

:argh:

I better piss all this water weight out here in a few days.

I get the WORST cravings for salty foods around the blood moon, and am always sad with the resultant bloat and cramping

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Period exhaustion hit the other day and I fell asleep on the sofa. By the time I woke up my boyfriend had gone out and bought diet coke and crisps and chocolate. :3: He has no idea how much I appreciated him right then.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

RhomboidSphinx posted:

So I'm 19 months into the 5 year Kyleena. I know it was stupid but I got my hopes up re coil = no period and so far, it's made barely any difference. Has anyone had any luck with poo poo changing this late in or do I just accept it's not going to happen?

On a completely different, disgusting note this has always bothered me but like... why aren't periods fetishised more? I'm glad they're not but it's always seemed weird. Compare it to scat, for example, which is also a bodily output yet seems to be 100x more prevalent and poop is arguably way grosser than periods. Everything else women do is fetishised (fat? thin? hairy? bald? angry at the patriarchy?) but menstruating is... not? Am I crazy for noticing???

I think, and this is just my theory, in the same way that breastfeeding has become sexualized: a period isn't overall because it affects a man's "right" to be aroused/gently caress. A baby nursing is gross because that's a baby on a place where a man gets pleasure. A period means, in addition to having to listen to her complain and whine, a man can't have sex with that particular vagina. I mean, I speak in generals.

Most of the straight guys I know are squeamish about periods overall, and only a few of my male friends would probably, if I needed help, actually go to the store to get me a box of pads or whatever.

I do remember an old college professor in a mythology class, describing some theories about why, in early early human development, women were often in charge of the group. He put it simply: if too much of this red stuff comes out of a man, he dies. But a woman, she has a lot of this red liquid come out of her EVERY MOON and still lives! And sometimes there is no red liquid, and a new person comes out instead! So clearly the woman is stronger.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh hey what up hormonal depressive episode right as I have a lot of big things happening in my life.

Fuckin rad.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

CherryCola posted:

Oh hey what up hormonal depressive episode right as I have a lot of big things happening in my life.

Fuckin rad.

sending condolences, chocolate and meat of your choice

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

My boobs are sore and my dog keeps stepping directly on my right nipple whenever she crawls on my lap to demand cuddles. She has way more nipples than I do, you’d think she’d understand!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Ow

That’s all I have to say

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I find the best way to encourage a period that's late by 3 days due to circadian rhythm changes is to stop wearing a pad in expectation and switch back to regular panty liners. Your blood will come within an hour, guaranteed.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have to make an appointment to have my Mirena replaced and just the thought of making the appointment is giving me anxiety. It was VERY unpleasant getting it placed--the NP that did it was very new and very green and left the dilation clamps on me for fifteen minutes while she went and rooted around for something in filing cabinets, and there was zero numbing. They didn't tell me to take any pain meds beforehand, either.

Any chance I could get, you know, knocked out? Maybe I can get them to call me in some heavy duty Ativan or something.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mormon Nailer posted:

I have to make an appointment to have my Mirena replaced and just the thought of making the appointment is giving me anxiety. It was VERY unpleasant getting it placed--the NP that did it was very new and very green and left the dilation clamps on me for fifteen minutes while she went and rooted around for something in filing cabinets, and there was zero numbing. They didn't tell me to take any pain meds beforehand, either.

Any chance I could get, you know, knocked out? Maybe I can get them to call me in some heavy duty Ativan or something.

I went in with a heavy dose of CBD and it really helped!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Still synced to the moon. The crampy moon. I had to spend a couple hours curled up with a heating pad for my abdomen this morning, but for some reason these cramps have moved into my major labes?!? I don’t like this one bit I tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
This thread is a blessing, I'm so glad to find it.

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Finally having a normal-ish blood flood for the first time since like...April, or maybe May. Good job, body.

I've been dealing with similar issues as yours--long, painful, ridiculously heavy periods for no discernible reason. Has your doctor checked your hormone levels? My gyno had me get a blood test, I'll prob get the results after I also get the ultrasound she ordered (if I can find the paperwork...) I don't know how accurate it'll be, though. She told me to get the blood work done on the second or third day of my period, but I had a week of spotting, so I got it done the second day of regular flow. I guess I'll find out...

You don't have to answer, but do you smoke pot? Apparently regular weed smoking can mess with your hormones, at least according to a naturopath who offered me advice. She told me to use yarrow, raspberry leaf, and/or flaxseeds to stop excess bleeding. She also advised using ginger, parsley, or pennyroyal to kickstart my period, which did work when I was sick of spotting and wanted to get it started and over with. I don't generally take advice from naturopaths, but I'll be damned if those things don't work.

Good luck, I hope your future periods are normal!