Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
hmm these 47% false negative rapid tests say i don't have covid so it must be something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

Vaccinated people have nothing to worr-

"had received the vaccine" is interesting word choice that implies he wasn't fully vaccinated

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

has anyone head exploded from angry re: vaccine ManDate

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Testvan posted:

NYC's experiment begins today: public school starts (1 million kids) with no remote option
NYC also forced all city workers (300k people) to back into the office today

"Our kids need to be in school and it's unbelievable that some kids haven't seen the inside of a classroom for a year and a half," the mayor said Thursday. "There are massive consequences to that, including health care consequences. The healthiest, best place for kids to be is in school."

"We believe this is an extraordinarily safe environment," de Blasio responded. "We've proven it and the most important thing is our kids have to come back."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8S4PZety-4

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't ask

Cloth masks are a hallmark of "the company makes me wear this when I'm not sitting at my desk"

They're def the most common mask I see

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My return to office is scheduled for this Friday. My cardiologist's advice was "don't get COVID" and his official recommendation on their dumb form was that I continue to WFH for six months. Submitted that poo poo weeks ago and it's been total radio silence from employee relations. Who would have thought pawning off this "accommodation" process on an outside vendor would end up with this result?

I've worked at this place for 10 years so I have like 17 weeks of sick time saved up I guess I can use for my in-office days. This poo poo is whack though.

genericnick posted:

You mean two tests and not packs of tests, right? That's an absurd rip-off. As far as I can see the most expensive pack of five here in Euroland is 50€ with a few going as low as 8€.

Yeah that's just for the pair. And it's the test which has a pretty crap rate of false negatives.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

poll plane variant posted:

They're def the most common mask I see

Yeah, it's what everyone else at my job wears, a discolored cloth mask that they've been wearing for months, but only when they're in the hallway because COVID is afraid of cubicles.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Testvan posted:

If vaccinated, enroll in the CDC v-safe health checker

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BroadwayWorld/status/1437415271757717505

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
lmao, this should be horrifying news that makes the world snap into action:
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1436963221718683652

but in reality the last holdout western democracies that were containing this thing are giving up and letting the virus take over. the western media has decided the proles are going to "live" with this thing while the elites get regeneron and vaccine boosters every 4 months

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

genericnick posted:

You mean two tests and not packs of tests, right? That's an absurd rip-off. As far as I can see the most expensive pack of five here in Euroland is 50€ with a few going as low as 8€.

Yeah two total tests, abbots binaxnow or whatever it's called. It's what everyone seemingly uses here.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Testvan posted:

NYC's experiment begins today: public school starts (1 million kids) with no remote option
NYC also forced all city workers (300k people) to back into the office today

"Our kids need to be in school and it's unbelievable that some kids haven't seen the inside of a classroom for a year and a half," the mayor said Thursday. "There are massive consequences to that, including health care consequences. The healthiest, best place for kids to be is in school."

"We believe this is an extraordinarily safe environment," de Blasio responded. "We've proven it and the most important thing is our kids have to come back."

My kids not in class today!!! We've been dragging our feet on sending the home-schooling notice but it seems we're out of time.

Honestly I think NYC won't do so badly, there's actual mask and distancing requirements compared to the YOLO situation seen in Florida + other state schools. Our kid's class has only ~10 students, and I bet they get through the year without a single positive case. It's a tough call but ultimately we decided not to risk it before vaccination. OTOH under 12 year olds aren't vaccinated, masks off for indoor breakfast + lunch, and the random testing program is opt-in this year. Last year families that didn't want their kids randomly tested would have to do remote learning, but there's no remote learning this year so....

On that subject, have been looking through NYS-provided curricula and materials for home-schooling and holy moley teachers have to do a lot of reading! Already thought teachers worked hard and it was by no means an easy job, but this is honestly kind of overwhelming. Every class reading has pages of annotations and discussion prompts, the science curriculum topics are labelled with an arcane format (NGSS), not even getting into all the material to teach basic arithmetic etc.

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

It’s time to stop living in fear and to live our lives

Shang Chi was pretty good

poo poo son, you look as high as giraffe pussy

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

my way of coexisting with the virus is to rely on pseudoscientific religious practices, such as hand-washing, mask wearing and avoiding crowded indoor spaces

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Lmao people are snatching up those binax tests. Pharmacist friend gets 400 a week with their delivery and loving they were sold out 90 minutes later

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
haha jesus it's september 13th and in 7 days... _seven days_.... the US is supposed to start rolling out vaccine boosters

uh.. joe... CDC... anyone gonna tell us what is the loving plan? do people walk into walgreens next week and get that booster? who gets them first? can anyone who had any vaccine get one? what brand of booster is allowed?

oh there is no plan? oh ok

these people are so loving bad at their jobs

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

mod sassinator posted:

haha jesus it's september 13th and in 7 days... _seven days_.... the US is supposed to start rolling out vaccine boosters

uh.. joe... CDC... anyone gonna tell us what is the loving plan? do people walk into walgreens next and get that booster? who gets them first? can anyone who had any vaccine get one? what brand of booster is allowed?

I thought it was Pfizer ppl only at 8 months after second dose, no phasing, everything else pending approval/trials so much later.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mod sassinator posted:

uh.. joe... CDC... anyone gonna tell us what is the loving plan? do people walk into walgreens next and get that booster? who gets them first? can anyone who had any vaccine get one? what brand of booster is allowed?

No one cares anymore, football is back!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mod sassinator posted:

uh.. joe... CDC... anyone gonna tell us what is the loving plan? do people walk into walgreens next week and get that booster? who gets them first? can anyone who had any vaccine get one? what brand of booster is allowed?

The plan is to not do boosters

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1437414641764818948?s=19

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kaxman posted:

Lmao people are snatching up those binax tests. Pharmacist friend gets 400 a week with their delivery and loving they were sold out 90 minutes later

Yeah if your school has a weird policy you absolutely need to hoard them. I've heard some schools are quarantining entire classes when there's one case and requiring proof of negative test to return if you want to come back before the 14 day quarantine period ends. So savvy parents are just testing their way back into class because it's not like there's any controls on how you perform the test

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

I thought it was Pfizer ppl only at 8 months after second dose, no phasing, everything else pending approval/trials so much later.

it's all been conjecture and speculation, not a single thing has turned into concrete CDC guidance yet

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

still no scientific reasoning for 8 months

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
What's Israel's protocol?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What's Israel's protocol?

5 months for everyone

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Did the places that did AZ with long intervals have bad Delta waves?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
president xi, my people yearn to breathe free

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Vaccinated people have nothing to worr-

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article254183613.html#storylink=bignews_latest

quote:

Sunday’s Miami-Dade report says hospitals had 921 COVID-19 patients on Saturday, 20 fewer than the previous day’s report. There were 76 patients discharged and 68 new COVID patients, the fewest new patients in weeks. Of the 68 new patients, 57 of them (83.8%) aren’t fully vaccinated.

That percentage used to be consistently in the high 90s but has just been sliding down for the past few weeks.

There's also this fun part in the article.

quote:

What’s not clear is if these continued decreases are because this COVID-19 wave is ebbing or because some of the people in the recent hospitalization spike are now part of the death toll reported over the last two weeks.

Tough to say!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Homocow posted:

president xi, my people yearn to breathe free

realistically if we're talking harm reduction, the way to handle COVID is do what China did, not jabbing people with mRNA shots over and over and over again and hoping that we're not seriously rolling the dice with people's long term health. (we are. the kid studies don't look nearly as clean as the adult studies did)

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

viruses, much like fires or the empires of man, tend to burn themselves out

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Did the places that did AZ with long intervals have bad Delta waves?

UK currently in their delta surge and still climbing

canada has steadily been going up into surge too

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1437390616879632391

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/1437418227794120708

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if there's no guidance by sept 20 then gently caress it i'm boosting. second pfizer was mid march. since I work with solid organ transplant data I know all the scientific jargon

"yeah i had a kidney transplant a few years ago, being maintained on tacrolimus, mmf and steroids" :eng101:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

actionjackson posted:

if there's no guidance by sept 20 then gently caress it i'm boosting. second pfizer was mid march

there won't be.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

realistically if we're talking harm reduction, the way to handle COVID is do what China did, not jabbing people with mRNA shots over and over and over again and hoping that we're not seriously rolling the dice with people's long term health. (we are. the kid studies don't look nearly as clean as the adult studies did)

I'm not even sure China will be able to pursue NPI based elimination forever though. We've seen tons of countries go from zero to endemic with Delta.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

Where are these studies?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

actionjackson posted:

if there's no guidance by sept 20 then gently caress it i'm boosting. second pfizer was mid march

Do it now, beat the crowds

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Nocturtle posted:

Where are these studies?

nothings out yet. just rumblings from my uncle who works at nintendo

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Schnorkles posted:

nothings out yet. just rumblings from my uncle who works at nintendo

Variolation has been mandated in the US and it outright killed 1-2% of patients. Are we near that threshold or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Variolation has been mandated in the US and it outright killed 1-2% of patients. Are we near that threshold or no?

i have no idea tbh

i just know there's a drat good reason they've been fighting about the dosages for kids for so long.