Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

IGgy IGsen posted:

That sad thing is that Fire Promoter still isn't very great. I was hyped for it but then I stopped playing it after a couple shows.

GM Mode is so long ago that I can't even compare it to anything anymore. I don't even know what mechanics it had, if it even had any.

It was mainly just making matches and sometimes you'd have enough money to sign more people, and you could buy new Scripts for storylines which made the whole thing a bit weird kayfabe-wise.

Also whatever fun it could have been was hampered by the fact that the WWE roster was depressingly thin at this time so you were basically just booking John Cena vs Randy Orton every week. Though I guess that's pretty accurate to WWE at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the only frustrating thing with 06 is that if you forgot to set your rivalry match even once it was all thrown out the window. Everything else about that game was fun, from both shows drafting a roster, battle for ratings AND match quality while trying to maintain a budget, it was even better if you had someone to play against. 07 just bogged it down with worthless poo poo like having to spend budget on writers and arbitrary weight limits not letting you put on certain matches.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I forgot which game it was, but my brother and I once played GM mode and one of us took control of Smackdown, the other RAW. We filled out the roster with our own created characters in addition to the game's default roster.

It was pretty fun but I don't think we played more than one session of it because we had this great idea that we'd watch all the matches which really dragged it out.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

It was pretty fun but I don't think we played more than one session of it because we had this great idea that we'd watch all the matches which really dragged it out.

I don't think there's ever been a wrestling game where watching CPU matches is any fun, with the exception of maaaybe Fire Pro?

WWE games' CPU matches always either drag on forever cause they just spam finishers and reversals nonstop, or they somehow end in 30 seconds to a random pinfall, or the AI bugs out and they just stand at ringside throwing each other into the ring steps repeatedly while they get counted out.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

As far as simming matches go it's pretty easy to get something good going in Fire Pro provided you use characters that mesh well.
With the 2k Games it's probably better to edit something together. I'm in an e-fedding community and a lot of the people who do stuff in 2k edit stuff together. Hell, one of them did a match spot for spot with the Highlight Reel thing and cut it together. It's really kinda impressive. I actually went looking for one of them again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l0xJv3AWmI

The amount of work t hat had to have gone into this one match has to be insane.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I just want Show Creator back. Long live VGCW.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

The Bee posted:

I just want Show Creator back. Long live VGCW.

Honestly if they brought back the Custom Stories and integrated them into Universe Mode I'd take that over GM Mode

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Honestly if they brought back the Custom Stories and integrated them into Universe Mode I'd take that over GM Mode

If we could bring ghost problems to Universe, that would be amazing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Drakkel posted:

Chocolate Drop 2k22 in glorious HD

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

i was getting out of wrestling by the time they put GM mode into the games so my first experience with it was watching that one run nL did where they had an hour long submission match with Christian against Ric Flair

kdrudy posted:

If we could bring ghost problems to Universe, that would be amazing.

from what i've seen of the recent 2K games, this happens without the need of a story creator

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

"Ghost Problems" is the stage in 2k22's career mode where you play as a dying Vince and have to stumble through a river while the souls of all the wrestlers you've fired swarm around you

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Drakkel posted:

"Ghost Problems" is the stage in 2k22's career mode where you play as a dying Vince and have to stumble through a river while the souls of all the wrestlers you've fired swarm around you

“ it was my wedding day!”

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
AEW should have create a story so someone could bring back VCW or something

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i've long since given up on story creator but i'd settle for the 2k14 body sliders coming back. the new games don't let you get weird enough with proportions and if i can't make a convincing noid what's even the point

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I want Just Bring It's body sliders

I have a long standing character called Big Noodle Fucker or BNF for short who's also a complete abomination I'd like to get back to his former glory.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

IGgy IGsen posted:

I want Just Bring It's body sliders

I have a long standing character called Big Noodle Fucker or BNF for short who's also a complete abomination I'd like to get back to his former glory.

I want to say it was Smackdown vs Raw 2006, but I had a character who was basically a fat green sphere with skinny long legs, one long beefy arm and one tiny t-rex arm, and a little head wearing a wizard hat. His run animation was an en pointe ballet dance. I miss that kind of insanity.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

John Dudebro posted:

i've long since given up on story creator but i'd settle for the 2k14 body sliders coming back. the new games don't let you get weird enough with proportions and if i can't make a convincing noid what's even the point

The sliders are so poo poo you can't create a convincing Yokozuna.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

As far as simming matches go it's pretty easy to get something good going in Fire Pro provided you use characters that mesh well.
With the 2k Games it's probably better to edit something together. I'm in an e-fedding community and a lot of the people who do stuff in 2k edit stuff together. Hell, one of them did a match spot for spot with the Highlight Reel thing and cut it together. It's really kinda impressive. I actually went looking for one of them again.

still less cuts than wwe
seriously though this is really cool

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Drakkel posted:

I don't think there's ever been a wrestling game where watching CPU matches is any fun, with the exception of maaaybe Fire Pro?
King of Colosseum II, which is basically an officially licensed Fire Pro in 3D. It has the usual problems with simmed matches occasionally ending in random submissions or countouts or such, but aside from that you can get some banger CPU matches going in KoC II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCJic2y1ack

make a new KoC you cowards

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Not sure if KoC has an AI editor or how in-depth it is if it has one. But if it's anything like fire pro then matches ending in a random submission or another move you don't want to end a match is basically a user error. Or intentional if you like matches anding in a neck crank as much as I do.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

i dunno if it's KoC2 but one japanese wrestling game has a rip-off version of bon jovi's "bad medicine" in it and more wrestling games should do that. just completely rip off songs and have them as entrance themes

also heh, KoC

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

IGgy IGsen posted:

Not sure if KoC has an AI editor or how in-depth it is if it has one. But if it's anything like fire pro then matches ending in a random submission or another move you don't want to end a match is basically a user error. Or intentional if you like matches anding in a neck crank as much as I do.

KoC 2 at least has logic roughly on par with Fire Pro Wrestling Z, iirc. Not quite up to the level of Returns or World, ie you can't program specific move > pin sequences. Some moves have a "hold the button to follow up with a pin" mechanic to make up for this but it's not quite as reliable. Random submission victories are totally preventable though. Basically,

DMorbid posted:

make a new KoC you cowards

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 14, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm surprised nobody's actually put in a Create-A-Match mode where you can set it up like a studio, position your cameras, and plan the match move by move to output cinematic content. A game with that mode would be an instant buy for a lot of people.

Matches wouldn't take up a lot of storage space either, it would just be a list of moves and camera angles.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression that the PS4 Fire Pro workshop site automatically listed what custom parts/moves an uploaded wrestler needs, but apparently not? Now I've gotta keep track of all the IDs the game says is missing.

Goddamnit people not everyone needs a unique face texture the art is not that detailed

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was under the impression that the PS4 Fire Pro workshop site automatically listed what custom parts/moves an uploaded wrestler needs, but apparently not? Now I've gotta keep track of all the IDs the game says is missing.

Goddamnit people not everyone needs a unique face texture the art is not that detailed

As far as I know the only automatic listing/tagging happens on PC and even then only if you have the Mod Pack installed. It's a huge pain.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Maxwell Lord posted:

This stuff honestly killed a lot of the fun of Fire Pro for me. Working within the constraints was part of the appeal to me for decades and then suddenly all the constraints were gone and everyone could just have custom everything and I don't know it just kind of broke me.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

unimportantguy posted:

This stuff honestly killed a lot of the fun of Fire Pro for me. Working within the constraints was part of the appeal to me for decades and then suddenly all the constraints were gone and everyone could just have custom everything and I don't know it just kind of broke me.

While it didn't kill the game for me (I'm still very much into it) I have to agree. Working within the constraints was always a big part of the fun for me. I only really use custom parts for some basic utility stuff (I made transparent versions of the glasses/shades, for example) or when absolutely necessary. For the most part I just use the base-game parts I have and some custom ones I downloaded near the start of Parts Craft.

I'm super happy for MoveCraft though, that's the best! I'm not sure how I'm ever supposed to go back to a different wrestling game that doesn't let me make an anime-rear end move where my dude spears a guy three times in mid-air and then drives them down from about 10 meters in the air. What's even the point?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Does anybody have the download for the old as hell "socko's wwf sim" that was (I think literally) in Basic?

Still the best career mode I ever played.

ETA: wrestlers had a stat for strength, speed, and weight that controlled move success likelihood and if you didn't win a belt, your stats would rerandomize every couple months. You selected moves by entering the a number based on the prompt (which changed depending on running/in the corner/headlock/out of the ring/grounded)

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 16, 2021

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Paracaidas posted:

Does anybody have the download for the old as hell "socko's wwf sim" that was (I think literally) in Basic?

Still the best career mode I ever played.

ETA: wrestlers had a stat for strength, speed, and weight that controlled move success likelihood and if you didn't win a belt, your stats would rerandomize every couple months. You selected moves by entering the a number based on the prompt (which changed depending on running/in the corner/headlock/out of the ring/grounded)

Oh God what a long term memory that is, that thing ruled

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Legacy have kicked off their Fighting Back charity stream. They're not even half an hour in and they're hit over $9000 in donations to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

The Kins posted:

New Legacy have kicked off their Fighting Back charity stream. They're not even half an hour in and they're hit over $9000 in donations to the Canadian Cancer Society.

They’ve just started the first game and they’re 17k up

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

The Kins posted:

Best Boys Forever

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Backwards loving 3-count

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

and that's for true

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Give Jon Blud the book for Dark

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Give Jon Blud the book for Dark

Every week Luther is in the main event

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Might get me to watch Dark.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Miro shirt he tried to leave behind in the arena but some buffoon (colt) took it home and washed it and wanted to give it back but MIro said nah, I wanna leave that. So he signed it. So now it's a 500 Dollar Miro Shirt.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Quiplash with Colt Cabana coming up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

30,000 DOLLAS!