Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah I always figured the Stone was like this, maybe more smoothly shaped - basically the Superdome but made out of rock. I guess it could've been craggier to more closely resemble a mountain but I'm struggling to recall any descriptions of it that suggested the exterior was that rough.

I always pictured the Stone as looking like the Black Fortress in Krull, except not black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah I always imagined the stone as unnaturally big and smooth, clearly something wrought by the power and not made by normal means

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Tear is built on a coast at a river mouth, so i always assumed it was completely flat around the city, with the stone being this big, completely polished smooth oval lump rising unnaturally out of it. basically Uluru but smooth and surrounded by little buildings and walls

also it would be really funny if the show stuck precisely to RJ's city maps because most of them are just completely nonsensical. heres another version of the bandar eban map, straight from the books

walling the city against the ocean but excluding the river mouth. the only major roads coming out of three separate gates all lined up next to each other on the same wall :bigwhat:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hooplah posted:

Tear is built on a coast at a river mouth, so i always assumed it was completely flat around the city, with the stone being this big, completely polished smooth oval lump rising unnaturally out of it. basically Uluru but smooth and surrounded by little buildings and walls

also it would be really funny if the show stuck precisely to RJ's city maps because most of them are just completely nonsensical. heres another version of the bandar eban map, straight from the books

walling the city against the ocean but excluding the river mouth. the only major roads coming out of three separate gates all lined up next to each other on the same wall :bigwhat:
Makes it hard for Trollocs to assault the city.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Makes it hard for Trollocs to assault the city.

meaning no disrespect, captain, but it also makes it hard for traders to get in the city.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hooplah posted:

meaning no disrespect, captain, but it also makes it hard for traders to get in the city.
When your facing apocalyptic armies of man eating minotaur sized creatures, river traders can take the time to sail around the coast to a dock.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yet these same factors don't seem to have affected any of the other cities

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hooplah posted:

How would it be any easier for traders to enter the city if they instead had to travel along the wall a few miles if there was a gate in the north? The city's location at basically the tip of a peninsula means all (land) traders have to approach from the east anyway. And in a trolloc threatened area, traders probably want to enter the city as soon as possible, instead of walking around it where they are unprotected. So it makes sense not have any gates apart from the east, and you then just need as many gates as traffic flow demands.

That said, I don't quite understand why you wouldn't wall in the river mouth at well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anyway I'm a big fan of the cities that are perfect squares, with walls originally built to the perfect size forever as evidenced by all the houses inside butting right up to them and nothing outside whatsoever

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Data Graham posted:

Anyway I'm a big fan of the cities that are perfect squares, with walls originally built to the perfect size forever as evidenced by all the houses inside butting right up to them and nothing outside whatsoever

If you look at the maps, the more southern cities are all surrounded by unwalled houses, or in Ebou Dar's case, has an entire unwalled city adjacent to it. It does make sense for the settlements in the Borderlands to not grow beyond the walls.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yet these same factors don't seem to have affected any of the other cities

Every other city fell?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Torrannor posted:

If you look at the maps, the more southern cities are all surrounded by unwalled houses, or in Ebou Dar's case, has an entire unwalled city adjacent to it. It does make sense for the settlements in the Borderlands to not grow beyond the walls.

Or, in carheins cade, all the unwalled houses are smouldering wrecks

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ChubbyChecker posted:

wasn't it just an underground aqueduct for the inner city, and not a river for ships needed for commerce

They had a river close enough for trading ships, the Sea Folk wanted some land on it near Caemlyn and it was important enough to Elayne that she didn't want to just give it up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Honestly, WoT doesn't go far enough in the other direction. Especially the early books have "slow civilizational decline" as a big theme. We do see abandoned cities (Shadar Logoth) and associated ruins, but where are the cities that have shrunk beyond the city walls, so to speak. Where only a half of the interior is lived in? Or where outer walls have fallen into ruin?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Honestly, WoT doesn't go far enough in the other direction. Especially the early books have "slow civilizational decline" as a big theme. We do see abandoned cities (Shadar Logoth) and associated ruins, but where are the cities that have shrunk beyond the city walls, so to speak. Where only a half of the interior is lived in? Or where outer walls have fallen into ruin?

Empires and nations almost never fall through depopulation; the people remain, the rulers just don't control them any more. Remember that at one point someone says there was a time when you could walk from the Spine to the sea and always be inside a kingdom, but now the nations are all drawing inwards and holding less territory with each generation. This decay inevitably begins at the edges, which are furthest away from capital control. The cities that remain inside the shrunken nation remain full because that's where the people from the now abandoned border cities go.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Historically you do see situations like Rome post collapse where there's 50,000 people living in a city which once hosted a million. Everyone had to spread out because the infrastructure collapsed and couldn't support the same population density. There's not really that same post apocalyptic collapse happening in contemporary WoT, though, it's more of a steady decline.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

Historically you do see situations like Rome post collapse where there's 50,000 people living in a city which once hosted a million. Everyone had to spread out because the infrastructure collapsed and couldn't support the same population density. There's not really that same post apocalyptic collapse happening in contemporary WoT, though, it's more of a steady decline.

That's no different from the decline that I described, really. Everything moves away from the weak places more than it moves towards the strong. The capital remains strongest for longest, but when even it becomes weak all the people who flee now must flee outwards because there's nowhere inwards left to go. Rome was squeezed together, and when the bonds split everything flew apart again. If the decline had continued in Randland the same thing would have happened; it's just that at the time of the story people could still flee inwards.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Fair enough

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

It probably happened that way for many of the fallen nations of Randland. For example, the nation that was north of Cairhien, Hardan, apparently lost enough people that everyone left and the nation vanished.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
But in any case, it does make it less strange that these cities, with walls that are for all we know quite old, haven't hugely outgrown said walls.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've thought about it a few times, and that one line from prophecy about "all shall burn in the fire of his eyes" is fantastic.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in a way it's kind of funny that for all the thought that went into so many details of the setting that one of the 'major' things, the layout of cities and their relation to the map, is kind of an afterthought in some regards.

i don't think it really impacts the series in any way, but it's still fun to think about

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Johnny Joestar posted:

in a way it's kind of funny that for all the thought that went into so many details of the setting that one of the 'major' things, the layout of cities and their relation to the map, is kind of an afterthought in some regards.

i don't think it really impacts the series in any way, but it's still fun to think about

I think its something Jordan just wasn't that interested in. What's there is basically enough to work without really taking you out of the story and only gets weird if you really think about it which is probably where he was coming from.

Compare that to org charts and backroom politicking which he wrote out for every organization in the series :v:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I mean, he describes the cities pretty well so you get a sense of it. Bigger ones feel more crowded, and the Borderlands fortress cities seem a lot more controlled in size and buildings than the rest. You definitely didn't need a not so good map of it to know what the city looked like.

Besides Tar Valon, because that one is just funny that he got someone to print it.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 13, 2021

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I've never more than glanced at the city maps.
They just weren't that important to what was going on.

That did mean I missed the Tar Valon joke for too long.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ego Trip posted:

I've never more than glanced at the city maps.
They just weren't that important to what was going on.

That did mean I missed the Tar Valon joke for too long.

I still don't know what you're talking about.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I listened to all the books on audiobook, I didn't even realize there was a joke until I showed up here. :shrug:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Tar Valon —> TV —> The Vagina

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Tar Valon —> TV —> The Vagina

It's more of a vulva :eng101:

Though it's hard to say whether that's intentional, accidental, subconcious, or reader rorscharch

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ardlen posted:

It probably happened that way for many of the fallen nations of Randland. For example, the nation that was north of Cairhien, Hardan, apparently lost enough people that everyone left and the nation vanished.

this, though, is something that doesn't actually happen in reality. states and governments collapse, yes, and settlements are abandoned, but even in extreme cases like the black death, the thirty years war and the post-columbian genocide of the majority of all native americans, abandoned nations have never actually been a thing. even abandoned cities are relatively rare; it's much more common for people to build a new city on top of the ruins of the old one or just keep living in the ruins. as society breaks down though cities become harder to support, but outside of the most inhospitable deserts and the most remote islands there aren't any places on earth that have ever actually been abandoned by humans.

these empty landscapes are a common trope in fantasy though and it's probably because tolkien did it in the lord of the rings, but a lot of it is just cargo culting. wheel of time actually does a pretty decent job of evoking a sense of a world with a long history, but the whole emptiness schtick seems like something that was just imitated without understanding why it was so important in lotr.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 14, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TheFluff posted:

this, though, is something that doesn't actually happen in reality. states and governments collapse, yes, and settlements are abandoned, but even in extreme cases like the black death, the thirty years war and the post-columbian genocide of the majority of all native americans, abandoned nations have never actually been a thing. even abandoned cities are relatively rare; it's much more common for people to build a new city on top of the ruins of the old one or just keep living in the ruins. as society breaks down though cities become harder to support, but outside of the most inhospitable deserts and the most remote islands there aren't any places on earth that have ever actually been abandoned by humans.

these empty landscapes are a common trope in fantasy though and it's probably because tolkien did it in the lord of the rings, but a lot of it is just cargo culting with no actual understanding of why lotr is like that.

There's a Dark God and his followers working hard to make it happen. Can't really compare it to reality.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TheFluff posted:

these empty landscapes are a common trope in fantasy though and it's probably because tolkien did it in the lord of the rings, but a lot of it is just cargo culting. wheel of time actually does a pretty decent job of evoking a sense of a world with a long history, but the whole emptiness schtick seems like something that was just imitated without understanding why it was so important in lotr.

I mean, you had the literal servant of satan sparking off gigantic wars nonstop, including an invasion so savage it completely destroyed the ability of nations to function causing them to collapse. It felt pretty earnt.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, you had the literal servant of satan sparking off gigantic wars nonstop, including an invasion so savage it completely destroyed the ability of nations to function causing them to collapse. It felt pretty earnt.

in the ~100 years after 1492 the population of the americas was reduced by somewhere between 80 and 90%. most states did collapse, and entire cultures went functionally extinct in a matter of decades. and yet, i don't think you can describe any area or nation in the americas as empty or abandoned. abandoned cities yes, but more commonly continuous habitation on top of the old population centers (see e.g. mexico city).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

.....yes? Can you maybe think of a few other things going on that we don't have here? Madmen wiping out entire villages? Trolloc raiders? The aforementioned servant of Satan loving with the world every chance he got?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I might be old-fashioned this way but being able to ascribe all the weird and implausible elements of worldbuilding to "bubbles of evil" and your three main characters literally being magic plot-armored beings with a special term for them in the glossary seems like kind of the opposite of "earnt"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Data Graham posted:

I might be old-fashioned this way but being able to ascribe all the weird and implausible elements of worldbuilding to "bubbles of evil" and your three main characters literally being magic plot-armored beings with a special term for them in the glossary seems like kind of the opposite of "earnt"

What does this have to do with the cities failing discussion going on?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Cairhien did immediately claim these fallen areas, then slowly shrunk their borders as they realized they couldn't support it. So maybe they stopped defending these borders from Trolloc raids, and those people who didn't retreat from the border slowly got whittled away by these attacks.

If you look at the Americas from the perspective of the Native Americans, their story is one of retreat and abandonment of their cities from non-stop raids, attacks, and disease.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Only reason I ever cared about the cities was from playing MUDs in the early 90s. I was like 10 and I just *had* to zmud automap all the zones.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Or there's the fact that the land was slowly dying from the touch of evil, the nations were having to send armies yearly to fight at the Blight, the imperfect seal on Shayol Ghul which was probably allowing a small but damaging amount of influence on the whole world...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

.....yes? Can you maybe think of a few other things going on that we don't have here? Madmen wiping out entire villages? Trolloc raiders? The aforementioned servant of Satan loving with the world every chance he got?

I have some bad news for you about how settler colonialism worked!

1637: English settlers, working with the Narragansetts and Mohegans, set fire to a fortified Pequot village near the Mystic River in what is now Connecticut. The settlers kill several hundred Pequots. A few escape. Others survive only to be captured and sold into slavery in the West Indies.

1854: Californian settlers kill most of the inhabitants of a Tolowa village and force the rest to go live on a reservation in Oregon.

1779:George Washington is given the name "Town Destroyer" by the Iroquois after he burns down 40 of their villages as reprisal for siding with the British.