Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
there's repeated references to Jack being a "thoroughgoing Tory" which was the monarchist conservative party at the time. the whigs were your classic, capital L, Liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm not sure you can class the British fighting against the French in the Napoleonic Wars as a left/right power struggle, after the initial period immediately after the French Revolution, say 1789-1792.t.

Modern conservatism arose out of a reaction to the French revolution, so yeah you can very accurately classify it that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflections_on_the_Revolution_in_France

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Modern conservatism arose out of a reaction to the French revolution, so yeah you can very accurately classify it that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflections_on_the_Revolution_in_France

You think that applies after Napoleon takes over? He's not spreading revolutions across Europe, it's just conquest of other countries. He installs his siblings as monarchs and himself as emperor.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
He betrayed the revolution sure, and put an end to it's excesses, and but he was it's natural end result. Burke even predicted the rise of a military strongman.

In a lot of areas he was progressive and brought about a lot of radical change. I think a few times Stephen had to defend himself to other radicals for his unwillingness to support Napoleon, despite all the other good Napoleon was seen as doing.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 1, 2021

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

In a lot of areas he was progressive and brought about a lot of radical change. I think a few times Stephen had to defend himself to other radicals for his unwillingness to support Napoleon, despite all the other good Napoleon was seen as doing.

I don't know a great deal about the internal administration of his empire, but isn't it fair to say that Napoleon may have done some good for people in France, but a hell of a lot of bad for the people in Spain and other countries?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
It's a mixed bag, he was a total "ends justify the means" guy, as most utopians are. Any foreign royal who stood in the way of his expansive vision was replaced by a family member.

But his vision was for a united Europe, and he was the initial driver of a lot of unification efforts in Italy and Poland. In many ways he was extremely progressive for his time, promoting near universal public education (and the education of women), religious freedom, protection for jews, a complete rewrite of whole governing codes to fit his modern vision (I think a lot of his Napoleonic code is still in effect today in France) and a large emphasis on meritocracy.

These types of radical changes are antithetical to conservative thought (at least if you're not a bumper sticker conservative), which believes that there's a lot of danger with trying to replace longstanding institutions that work well enough, with rational thought. I don't buy the reductionist view Burke was opposed to the Enlightenment, but he was certainly suspicious of it.

I need to spend time reading more biographies on Napoleon though, the man was an absolutely brilliant polymath. There was almost no aspect of life that he didn't try to improve.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 1, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A lot of the Napoleonic Code is still in effect from Spain to Austria.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I need to spend time reading more biographies on Napoleon though, the man was an absolutely brilliant polymath. There was almost no aspect of life that he didn't try to improve.

Unless you were a former slave in a French colony freed by the Revolution, in which case his reversal of that law and re-establishment of slavery was a pretty big gently caress you.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

‘Napoleon-good guy or bad guy?’ is a question people have been asking since about 1792 and I don’t think it’s been definitely answered yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Notahippie posted:

Unless you were a former slave in a French colony freed by the Revolution, in which case his reversal of that law and re-establishment of slavery was a pretty big gently caress you.

I really recommend https://www.amazon.com/Black-Count-Revolution-Betrayal-Cristo/dp/0307382478. Biography of the Black Count, General Alexander Dumas . Napoleon: not a fan

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

‘Napoleon-good guy or bad guy?’ is a question people have been asking since about 1792 and I don’t think it’s been definitely answered yet.

He was definitely a weird dude.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If he'd stopped at the Russian border and decided to consolidate a continental European Union and eventually made peace with Britain, he coulda been a contendah for George Washington of Europe instead of a megalomaniacal bum, which is what he was, let's face it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mr. Mambold posted:

If he'd stopped at the Russian border and decided to consolidate a continental European Union and eventually made peace with Britain, he coulda been a contendah for George Washington of Europe instead of a megalomaniacal bum, which is what he was, let's face it.

Why would the Brits have made peace with him? And Napoleon's consolidation wasn't working very well in Spain.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Why would the Brits have made peace with him? And Napoleon's consolidation wasn't working very well in Spain.

Who knows, it's all speculative, ain't it. He didn't have a realistic end-game, and from all accounts he was a mediocre chess player.

At the end of the day, the British are pragmatic. They and France were the two biggest empires, Great Britain was bleeding out from the war worse than France from what I've read; the East India Company was being raided.
Britain was also already a constitutional monarchy. They'd made a peace with the U.S. and quickly resumed trade relations. Britain and France had duked it out for 700 years. Eventually, it ends one way or another.

If Napoleon doesn't invade Russia, he's got way more than enough army and resources to keep insurrections in Spain to a minimum. Maybe he recognizes Catalonia as a separate nation? He recognizes at some point that semi-autonomy for Prussia, Italy, etc. is far better than keeping standing armies everywhere.

None of which were my original point.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's a mixed bag, he was a total "ends justify the means" guy, as most utopians are. Any foreign royal who stood in the way of his expansive vision was replaced by a family member.

But his vision was for a united Europe, and he was the initial driver of a lot of unification efforts in Italy and Poland. In many ways he was extremely progressive for his time, promoting near universal public education (and the education of women), religious freedom, protection for jews, a complete rewrite of whole governing codes to fit his modern vision (I think a lot of his Napoleonic code is still in effect today in France) and a large emphasis on meritocracy.

These types of radical changes are antithetical to conservative thought (at least if you're not a bumper sticker conservative), which believes that there's a lot of danger with trying to replace longstanding institutions that work well enough, with rational thought. I don't buy the reductionist view Burke was opposed to the Enlightenment, but he was certainly suspicious of it.

Very interesting, thank you. I only knew about the schoolkids' level detail on the Napoleonic Code. I can see his achievements were as outsized as his atrocities.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mr. Mambold posted:

Who knows, it's all speculative, ain't it. He didn't have a realistic end-game, and from all accounts he was a mediocre chess player.

At the end of the day, the British are pragmatic. They and France were the two biggest empires, Great Britain was bleeding out from the war worse than France from what I've read; the East India Company was being raided.
Britain was also already a constitutional monarchy. They'd made a peace with the U.S. and quickly resumed trade relations. Britain and France had duked it out for 700 years. Eventually, it ends one way or another.

If Napoleon doesn't invade Russia, he's got way more than enough army and resources to keep insurrections in Spain to a minimum. Maybe he recognizes Catalonia as a separate nation? He recognizes at some point that semi-autonomy for Prussia, Italy, etc. is far better than keeping standing armies everywhere.

None of which were my original point.

Nappy sending more troops to Spain wouldn't have helped much, because he already had huge troubles supplying the troops that were already there. If he had just sent his massive Russian invasion force to Spain, they would just have starved there. Britain didn't lose much in the short term from losing the 13 colonies, because they they could reap most of the benefits from trading, and they weren't an existential threat, unlike Napoleonic France. The most important colonies were the sugar producing Caribbean ones. You are quite correct that Napoleon didn't have a realistic end goal, and he would just have kept on gambling with invasions until he lost.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Also colonization was the main game at that point, Napoleon wouldn't have been happy just holding most of Europe and leaving the brits free to rule the waves, there was too much wealth out there to be plundered. Though I guess if you control Spain you also control most of South America.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

thekeeshman posted:

Also colonization was the main game at that point, Napoleon wouldn't have been happy just holding most of Europe and leaving the brits free to rule the waves, there was too much wealth out there to be plundered. Though I guess if you control Spain you also control most of South America.
Or lose control of South America.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IMO Napoleon shouldn't have lost Trafalgar if he wanted to win. If he'd won Trafalgar he could have continued rolling up the coast of Western Europe collecting French squadrons on the Atlantic coast until they finally arrived in the Netherlands and had a powerful covering force of 50+ battleships for an invasion of England. Probably shouldn't have lost any chance of contesting the sea right after the peace.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Shoulda let catalan be independent and then maturin wouldn't have been working for sir joseph banks and thwarted him at every turn. Aubrey probably would have died too from a heart attack without his good friend advising daily climbs when he got too fat and there goes british dominance of the seas. Pretty big mistake when you think about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just have to win more battles and also like strategic positions and so on. Very easy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Dear Napoleon, you would win more if you lost less.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

George Washington believed in things like 'elections' though

Edit: ill concede he would have won if he had battleships though. Even predreadnoughts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just noticed there's a Russian attack submarine tied up behind the Surprise.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actually that’s the Cacafuego.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The San Diego Maritime Museum is great and everyone should go at least once. Aside from the Surprise they’ve got 5-6 other cool ships and some rotating exhibits, last time I was there it was the history of naval tattoos.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

The film is more about 19th century Dudes Rocking than any particular political perspective. The conflict is remote enough in history that most people probably don't have an opinion on Napoleon or his politics. It doesn't shy away from presenting the poor living conditions in the royal navy although it does downplay the brutal discipline.

I mean it does have Nagle being flogged for disrespecting Hollom

But then Jack in the books always did prefer not to use the whip when possible*, contrasted with a number of references to other, less happy ships. So if the brutality of corporal punishment in the British navy gets downplayed, that's on O'Brian for writing his protagonist as less abusive than many of his colleagues. And I don't suppose I can blame him for that

*Of course, he does flog sometimes, but without remembering specifics it always seemed like it was in circumstances where he would be seen as shockingly lax by his colleagues and the admiralty to not flog.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Phy posted:

But then Jack in the books always did prefer not to use the whip when possible*, contrasted with a number of references to other, less happy ships. So if the brutality of corporal punishment in the British navy gets downplayed, that's on O'Brian for writing his protagonist as less abusive than many of his colleagues. And I don't suppose I can blame him for that

*Of course, he does flog sometimes, but without remembering specifics it always seemed like it was in circumstances where he would be seen as shockingly lax by his colleagues and the admiralty to not flog.

I've always appreciated how one of the times you see him absolutely lose his poo poo and order a flogging immediately was watching a sullen sailor fail to (salute? "make his obedience"? anyway, do something to acknowledge an officer) while passing a disliked officer on a narrow gangway. It's a reminder of how rigid and absolute some aspects of life aboard ship was and how there were some things that everybody was okay with a little bit of flexibility around and how some seemingly innocent actions were fundamentally Not Done.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's also that Nagle is an able seaman and a known malcontent, so there's no excusing his actions. Which Jack tells him at punishment.

I do think the movie Hollum is a different character than the book Hollum. In the movie Hollum is more sympathetic although still shown to be weak and incompetent.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Phy posted:

It's not always that he consciously thinks that he'd be seen as shockingly lax by his colleagues, he just does it because it's part of the system that he was raised in -- some offenses are just ones that rate a flogging. I think there are a few times where he does it because he doesn't want the hands to see him as weak, or jockeying for popularity. And I just finished a re-read of Post-Captain, where his lovely first lieutenant Parker orders a lot of undeserved floggings, but as far as Jack sees it he has to back up his officers and can't reduce the punishments.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sax Solo posted:

Like, the movie's all right, it has some good things! It has a kind of "Rah rah our boys at sea" tone to the ending which is kind of terrible and a painful clash with POB's cynicism. Coming out in 2003 with the buildup to war in Iraq there was a bit of contextual stink to it that probably can't be felt now. Otherwise though the choice of HOW to end it is very good.

I think Weir originally wanted the Acheron to be an American frigate, but the studio was concerned about audiences being confused.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I just started reading the nonfiction book Six Frigates, which is about the early days of the American navy, and during a description of Thomas Jefferson's extended visit to France and his communications back home, there was this:

quote:

In a letter of June 1786, Madison opened with a paragraph on political developments in Virginia and then continued: “For want of something better to fill the remainder of my paper, I will now add the result of my examination two days ago of another of our minor quadrupeds. I mean a Weasel.” The description of the animal and its internal organs filled eight long paragraphs. Thirty-eight different anatomical measurements were recorded in an appended table.

Maturin's got some competition :hmmyes:

Bubbacub posted:

I think Weir originally wanted the Acheron to be an American frigate, but the studio was concerned about audiences being confused.

They could have just had Mel Gibson in a brief cameo role as captain of the American frigate and everything would have made sense.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 16, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
But then you don't get those hails of "Eeengleesh whaelaor!"

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Bubbacub posted:

Much as Jack was when the War of 1812 was declared, the audience just wouldn't be comfortable with the Brits fighting the Americans. The slippery Frogs are a much more 'foreign' enemy. Fighting them comes natural, like.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notahippie posted:

I've always appreciated how one of the times you see him absolutely lose his poo poo and order a flogging immediately was watching a sullen sailor fail to (salute? "make his obedience"? anyway, do something to acknowledge an officer) while passing a disliked officer on a narrow gangway. It's a reminder of how rigid and absolute some aspects of life aboard ship was and how there were some things that everybody was okay with a little bit of flexibility around and how some seemingly innocent actions were fundamentally Not Done.

I'm pretty sure Jack's reasoning here is that while some offenses can be handled with a lighter touch, anything that even whiffs of a degradation of Authority has to be put down immediately, or else risk things degrading into a mutiny later on.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's very funny/good that when Jack meets his black son Jack's main concern (beyond his wife knowing about it) is that he's Catholic.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
And then in later books, he hears how far his son has risen in the church and he can't be prouder.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I remember reading one thing O'Brian gets wrong was the universal admiration for French-built ships. French ships were indeed admired for their design qualities. However British captains also considered them lightly-built. They needed much more time in dock than their English counterparts. French builders didn't consider long voyages between refits an important criterion and didn't build ships to endure them.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finished Far Side of the World. Holy hell the "Jonah" subplot is so much more grim than what was in the movie. I was generally pretty surprised how little the movie took from this book. I knew about the antagonists changing from American to French, of course, but really the book is a totally different animal aside from a few elements and characters. I will say that the 1812a-1812b timescale is really starting to mess with me. When I think of events from Fortune of War or Surgeon's Mate they feel like they happened to a Stephen or a Jack of ten years earlier instead of just a few months earlier. At least O'Brian was candid enough in his author's note to say he would have done the chronology totally differently if he knew ahead of time how much he'd enjoy writing the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
As far as I'm concerned the whole thing is basically in dream time. I mean, the only time I think he actually mentions their ages is in the beginning of Master and Commander, where he implies they're both in their mid-twenties, but after that I don't think he mentions actual dates or even years very often, so I really have no idea how old they are at the end of the series, other than that they're both starting to feel old.