Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

YOU CAN'T TELL ME IM NEVER GOING TO USE MY DOWNHILL SKIS AGAIN I REFUSE TO BELIEVE YOU

*sobs*

Turn it into a chair and use them forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

in a plot twist she only has 1 pair of bindings

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

old skis turned into an array of shotskis don't count

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I have three pairs, one of which is a set I agreed to store for a friend about six years ago that have never been used, or even mounted.

Speaking of skis, I’m trying to replace my ancient 2013 Nomads RKRs with something that’ll suffice for 60/40 in/out. Mostly bumps/steeps/trees inbounds. The plan is to mount my existing kingpins on ‘em. Eventually I’ll get a dedicated inbounds setup, but I’m lazy and this has worked okay enough for however many years.

I love the 105 underfoot since I don’t ski boilerplate or zipper line bumps, but the original Nomad RKR always been a little heavy for touring. I’m curious if anyone has recommendations of other skis to consider (I know I’m asking a lot of one pair).

So far I’m thinking of looking at Nomad Lite 105, Black Crows something something, DPS something something (with the advantage here being that they would shave extra grams off my wallet). Any other ideas from folks?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I loled at this one pretty good.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have six pairs in the garage right now but three of those are are basically trash that I just haven't disposed of yet (20 year old SL skis, 15 year old GS skis with a cracked edge, and 12 year old Gotamas that are flat noodles now). Maybe I'll make a chair some day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

And they don't match.

spwrozek posted:

Turn it into a chair and use them forever.

brb while I go kill myself

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have 4 boards (not including the split) mounted and ready to go whenever, and I only ever grab the one. Then there are the 30-40 other boards of differing vintage and condition, stashed in a corner. I’d guess 10ish are things I’d actually ride.

Oh and my kid that worked in a shop for 3 years just moved back in, so his quiver is out there too.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

waffle enthusiast posted:

I have three pairs, one of which is a set I agreed to store for a friend about six years ago that have never been used, or even mounted.

Speaking of skis, I’m trying to replace my ancient 2013 Nomads RKRs with something that’ll suffice for 60/40 in/out. Mostly bumps/steeps/trees inbounds. The plan is to mount my existing kingpins on ‘em. Eventually I’ll get a dedicated inbounds setup, but I’m lazy and this has worked okay enough for however many years.

I love the 105 underfoot since I don’t ski boilerplate or zipper line bumps, but the original Nomad RKR always been a little heavy for touring. I’m curious if anyone has recommendations of other skis to consider (I know I’m asking a lot of one pair).

So far I’m thinking of looking at Nomad Lite 105, Black Crows something something, DPS something something (with the advantage here being that they would shave extra grams off my wallet). Any other ideas from folks?

I have DPS Wailer 105 Pures and they are OK but not amazing. They are great for touring in that they're light but still have performance on the down, but they're not nearly as burly as an inbounds dedicated ski.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a pair of Volkl Mantras from 2016/2017 as my only pair of skis. I should probably ski on these for at least another season before getting something new right? How do most people split their ski duties between multiple pairs, if they're primarily skiing at resorts?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I have a pair of Volkl Mantras from 2016/2017 as my only pair of skis. I should probably ski on these for at least another season before getting something new right? How do most people split their ski duties between multiple pairs, if they're primarily skiing at resorts?

Snow conditions and what I feel like skiing. Huge powder day? Break out the Santa Anas. Hard snow, mid-week with few people around? GS skis. Feeling like doing a little bit of everything, maybe some bumps? Slalom skis.

Whether or not you get another pair now to me would depend on a couple factors: are you happy with your one-ski quiver and want to keep going with that? If yes, then you can buy a new pair whenever. It depends on your wallet, too. If you have the money and you want a new pair go for it.

If you're thinking that there's one thing you never seem to quite ski right with the Mantras though, be it powder, or hard snow, or the park, or whatever, maybe consider getting a second pair this year that's better suited to what you feel the Mantras are letting you down on.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Seeking ski advice. I probably shouldn’t buy more poo poo but capitalism, etc.
I’m looking at skis on closeout now since the pair I bought on closeout last year (BD Helio Carbon 95 in 173) while light and great for uphill are quite stiff and shaky for my skill level and conditions. I’ve searched a bit online and found 2 sets on closeout that should be better for downhill bias than the pair I have now. They are:
Line Vision 98 in 173
Dynafit Beast 98W in 177

Skis will be mounted with my current Look HM Rotations and my boots are F1s. I’m 6ft/165lb and they will see resort and touring use in the Sierras. I think I’ll ski better and get better on these than the light sticks I have now, and was wondering how they’d differ and which could be more appropriate.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Found a pair of Burton X-Base bindings in my size at the resale spot for $80 yesterday. I’m gonna have to find a Family Tree board to put them on now.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

I have one pair of skis that's like 95 underfoot, burly af, two sheets of metal, and just a bit of rocker. Great for days with little to no new snow.

I also have full wood, 115 underfoot, hella rockered skis for pow days.

I don't think I need any more than that. Maybe if I skied park, but otherwise that gets it done for me.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Just finished reorganizing my garage so had the full quiver of actually mounted and rideable skis together. I’m counting the frankenblades here because they’re new and I have bindings for them just not yet mounted; waiting for new boots this month first.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Sorry y’all don’t have a quiver killer like this

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HookShot posted:

Snow conditions and what I feel like skiing. Huge powder day? Break out the Santa Anas. Hard snow, mid-week with few people around? GS skis. Feeling like doing a little bit of everything, maybe some bumps? Slalom skis.

Whether or not you get another pair now to me would depend on a couple factors: are you happy with your one-ski quiver and want to keep going with that? If yes, then you can buy a new pair whenever. It depends on your wallet, too. If you have the money and you want a new pair go for it.

If you're thinking that there's one thing you never seem to quite ski right with the Mantras though, be it powder, or hard snow, or the park, or whatever, maybe consider getting a second pair this year that's better suited to what you feel the Mantras are letting you down on.

I think someone posted a link to Blister reviews which suggested some 2 ski combos. Are they usually pretty on the mark? I think what I'd be looking for is something that's a bit more playful/bump/tree appropriate, and then add a new all-mountainy pair that I can use for groomers/front side stuff. It's tough for me to drop everything to ski a powder day.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steve French posted:

Just finished reorganizing my garage so had the full quiver of actually mounted and rideable skis together. I’m counting the frankenblades here because they’re new and I have bindings for them just not yet mounted; waiting for new boots this month first.

~one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong~

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

~one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong~

The race skis…? Oh, you must mean the touring skis

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Sorry y’all don’t have a quiver killer like this

More like tibia killer

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Glad we finally solved that pesky affordable housing problem

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I literally just got back from Telluride for a wedding. What a gorgeous and incredible place.

But Jesus Christ who do those homes belong to, and how the hell do people get there? There aren’t that many private jets.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lol I think I was playing pool with your wedding party last night

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moot .1415926535 posted:

lol I think I was playing pool with your wedding party last night

Hah, wedding I went to was on Friday night in Mountain Village. Last night we ended up walking around town during the day and grabbing dinner/drinks in the evening. Pretty surprised to see how quiet the town seemed to be at 9/10pm.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I think someone posted a link to Blister reviews which suggested some 2 ski combos. Are they usually pretty on the mark? I think what I'd be looking for is something that's a bit more playful/bump/tree appropriate, and then add a new all-mountainy pair that I can use for groomers/front side stuff. It's tough for me to drop everything to ski a powder day.

Would it be a bad idea to pair my Volkl Mantras with something like the Line Sir Francis Bacon, maybe on the shorter side, if I'm looking for a ski that would be quicker turning for moguls/trees?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We convinced the resort to work with us on a plan to allow racing to return. So we have an upcoming season and will soon have a plan for the long term survival of racing. There are a lot of details to work out yet.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Name change is announced. I think I dig it.

https://instagram.com/palisadestahoe?utm_medium=copy_link

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wow that's pretty good. Maybe I just associate a good time with the Pacific Palisades area of LA but that's a great name and a lot better than Squaw Valley.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I didn't have any opinion on the name controversy. But if they do change it, Palisades Tahoe is a really good name.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some people are really mad about it.

You know which ones.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

logo owns, rip Shane

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I really enjoy the butthurt old men in the comments complaining about snowflakes with absolutely no sense of irony

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

logo owns, rip Shane

They totally nailed it with the logo and the name.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy poo poo that logo is so good.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Logo owns, name owns. Good work everyone

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
The two different fonts used for "A" are bugging me. I suppose it must be to reduce whitespace between letters.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lol I found out today that the ski company owns like ten lots nearby that are designated for low income housing and they’re just sitting on them and have been for six or so years because gently caress the poors
I guess. Gonna be a hosed up season (again) when they have 40% of the staff they need (again) to make poo poo run properly. Feel like a big fire is in order.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

cleanse

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I need new skis; have a cracked tip that I glued last year.

I only ski VT stuff, mostly MRG. I've been skiing since I was 7 (33 years) but I consider myself "casual advanced", my basic thing is glades in the woods and looking for powder in the woods, but I am not a fast or aggressive skiier in those circumstances. I ski moguls outside of trees at somewhat more speed, but at this age I am more wary of season-ending falls than I was when I was 30.

Additionally our 5 year old is learning to ski so I need something reasonable on hardpack etc (and sometimes the glades are hardpack anyway).

The thing I am looking at now is Blizzard Rustler skis in the 9 model (94mm) in 180mm.

I am 6'2", 150lbs.

Does that ski seem reasonable, any binding recommendations, and any other skis I should look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

lol I found out today that the ski company owns like ten lots nearby that are designated for low income housing and they’re just sitting on them and have been for six or so years because gently caress the poors
I guess. Gonna be a hosed up season (again) when they have 40% of the staff they need (again) to make poo poo run properly. Feel like a big fire is in order.

surely they must own enough seats on the zoning board and city council to rectify the problem