Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

InternetJunky posted:

If I buy a table saw I can reasonably expect to have it working out of the box without needing any extra parts or calibration. Why can't FDM printers be like that (I know why but the closest to that experience is what I'm looking for).

It's just that 3D printers aren't at the point of being "just works" appliances like toasters (or even inkjet or laser printers, for that matter).

And there's also a bit of a race to the bottom when it comes to pricing, especially for the hobbyist market. That approach absolutely thrives on just handing the wet baby to the user and shrugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

All 3 3D printers I’ve owned have been less of a hassle than any 2D printer I’ve owned. Expensive ink, weird printing artifacts, complicated debugging of weird problems.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
A 3D printer that ‘just works’ isn’t something that’s realistic. As mentioned above, 3D printers have way too many moving parts and variables to not always have the possibilities for failures.

Printer/part build quality, power losses, bad/web filament, 1st layer adhesion, clogged nozzles, room temp, print temp, print speed, belt tension, too much/little cooling, etc etc etc.

Even the Prusa machines aren’t immune to some of the above mentioned possible causes of failure.

What you have to remember, is no matter the price or quality of machine, the technology is still based on the process of squeezing liquid plastic out of a tiny nozzle.

SLA printing has its own unique set of issues to contend with.

Expecting any 3D printer to ‘just work’ and never have a snag or an issue is just setting you up for frustrations. Especially if you’re looking at toasters or inkjet printers as a ‘just works’ measuring stick.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Chainclaw posted:

All 3 3D printers I’ve owned have been less of a hassle than any 2D printer I’ve owned. Expensive ink, weird printing artifacts, complicated debugging of weird problems.

I can count on 2 hands the amount of printers/scanners my father smashed to pieces during my childhood due to set up/driver issues.

I have made sure to suggest he doesn’t buy a 3D printer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's just that 3D printers aren't at the point of being "just works" appliances like toasters (or even inkjet or laser printers, for that matter).

And there's also a bit of a race to the bottom when it comes to pricing, especially for the hobbyist market. That approach absolutely thrives on just handing the wet baby to the user and shrugging.

I feel like we're getting pretty close, personally. We're getting better than laser printer resolution in three directions; there's going to be a lower limit on competency on using and maintaining a precision device like this. Like, with an IQ of 90 you can probably get away with owning and operating a dot matrix printer... I would not expect that same person to own and operate a 3D printer without significant difficulty and maybe even liberal use of the help line

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

My Elegoo Saturn just arrived DOA so maybe there's something to be said for the ability to "tinker" with these things and get them to work. This is probably the 10th resin printer I'm sending back to amazon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn dude that's some poo poo luck. I was in on the pre order and it's worked fine since day one. Maybe request a different carrier?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

My ender 3v2 is a failure factory and I've finally had it. Junking this POS for parts and saving up for a prusa.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Eyes Have It posted:

I once ordered a dozen sheets of plastic as part of an order, and when I opened the box, the first thing I saw was a couple "end piece" sheets on the stack. You know, protective film wrinkled, scratched surface.

I was pissed that they shipped me junk pieces as part of fulfilling my order, but I did an emotional 180 when I counted them. There were 12 "good" pieces -- they threw in crappy finish ones for free.

At least I didn't embarrass myself by speed-dialing them before I counted the order!
I've ordered 4'x8' sheets of 1/4" GRP, and had them on my dock the next day for $125 in shipping. It's insane. Plenty of SS bar/angle/channel that gets banged up in shipping, and they just send me new ones. Same with big eyebolts. I order a couple of 1"-8 lifting-rated eyebolts a year, and they occasionally ship them with, you know, pieces of bar stock. The threads get banged up, I complain, they send another. I usually clean the threads up with a triangle file, and stick it in the spares bin.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

They've had CAD models of everything from fasteners to pipe fittings to whatever since about 2013 as far as I can remember.

You look up something, and then look for the link to the CAD downloads available for the thing and pick the 3d model version you want.

Granted, it's geared towards Solidworks but I think they have IGES and STEP options.
Yup, IGES and STEP are supported, as are 3d PDF.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Also great to print from!
Totally. I really like being able to grab an accurate model of something like a bolt, then modify it in SolidWorks, without messing about with SolidWorks "toolbox" bullshit.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

holy poo poo! is this a new feature? I don't remember them doing this, but it's been a few years since I've browsed the website. This is a total game changer
As above, not new, but not something they jump up and down advertising. I answer their surveys and always thank them profusely for the CAD models.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

My ender 3v2 is a failure factory and I've finally had it. Junking this POS for parts and saving up for a prusa.

But it's as good as a Prusa... :rolleye:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

sharkytm posted:

But it's as good as a Prusa... :rolleye:

I refuse to believe that.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I refuse to believe that.

Hence the silly smiley, he’s being sarcastic.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

My Prusa's already stopped working. It no longer recognizes SD cards, and I can't actually use the knob to select menu options anymore. It's getting the input because the backlight flickers when I spin the knob, and I can press the knob in to go in to the menu and press the back button, but it won't let me spin to select options.

Edit: I reseat some cables and it’s working now. No idea how they got unseated.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 14, 2021

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I haven't ever ventured into Resin printing before. What's the current king of the hill? I am trying to ballpark the amount of printing that can be done out of one bottle of resin. While the print quality should exceed my current FDM's, my concern is I am paying 2-3x just to feed it. Am I wrong in this?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Finally joining the 3D printer club

So far so good, got my first real print running now.

Do yall recommend using Octoprint? It seems cool, but I dunno if it's overkill if I've just started.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Octoprint is pretty cool, but honestly it's more about not having to save a file to a drive or card and then go pop said card/drive into the machine to print. It basically makes it less hassle to print stuff.

If you don't feel the urge to set up a server right now, it's not the end of the world. It's a nice add-on but if you don't mind saving the file and walking to the printer, it's not going to change your life or anything.

It is kinda neat to have a time lapse of a print though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I haven’t set octoprint up with this printer yet, but I’ve used it in the past. It’s really handy for mostly the remote camera feed.

If your printer has an sd card slot, then I find having remote access for pushing gcode to the printer isn’t that convenient in practice because you’ll still want to physically go at the beginning to make sure the build plate is clear, and at the end to pull off the print.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I kinda want Prusa to release a Core XY model at a similar pricepoint to the MK3. But I also hope they don't, so I don't get any funny ideas about spending money. :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

I kinda want Prusa to release a Core XY model at a similar pricepoint to the MK3. But I also hope they don't, so I don't get any funny ideas about spending money. :v:

Given the price for the MK3, a CoreXY would be closer to $2k. Quality linear rails aren't cheap.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Talorat posted:

Finally joining the 3D printer club

So far so good, got my first real print running now.

Do yall recommend using Octoprint? It seems cool, but I dunno if it's overkill if I've just started.

I like OctoPrint a lot. It's a bit of a pig and unfortunately doesn't run well on a Pi Zero, but if you have a spare 3B or 4B sitting around, it's super handy. (Prusa does maintain their own version of OctoPrint which is meant to run on a Zero and can hook right up to the motherboard of your MK3S+ and this may be worth considering if you've got a spare Pi Zero-W around.) Base OctoPrint is handy for remote monitoring, a remote-accessible terminal for running gcode (probably less handy on your Prusa but it's been a lifesaver on my Ender 3 v2 and deltas), and timelapses look cool and can be really helpful for seeing when/how a print went wrong. There are mobile clients for OctoPrint - I really like OctoPod on iOS / iPadOS - which enrich the experience. A lot of OctoPrint's strength comes from its plugins though, similar to how Firefox is much better once you get some Extensions rolling - Octolapse and The Spaghetti Detective are the famous ones, but there are hundreds of plugins big and small that add all sorts of great functionality.

My printers are in my basement and while I spend plenty of time down there, it's pretty nice to be able to slice and print from my living room while I'm splitting time with being a dad, or check on a print while the rest of us are all done dinner but the four-year-old is on hour two of finishing her four chicken nuggets. For my life, OctoPrint is great.

SEKCobra posted:

The Prusa XL is going to be a 400x400x400 CoreXY and they're targeting 1200-1500 USD/EUR. Been a while since there's been any news on that, but I think it's safe to say that it will be significantly more expensive than the MK3S+ but still reasonably competitive.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Chainclaw posted:

I haven’t set octoprint up with this printer yet, but I’ve used it in the past. It’s really handy for mostly the remote camera feed.

If your printer has an sd card slot, then I find having remote access for pushing gcode to the printer isn’t that convenient in practice because you’ll still want to physically go at the beginning to make sure the build plate is clear, and at the end to pull off the print.

No way am I ever going to back to transferring files on an SD card. One click in the Prusaslicer sends it straight to the printer (Duet2 Wifi).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

becoming posted:

The Prusa XL is going to be a 400x400x400 CoreXY and they're targeting 1200-1500 USD/EUR. Been a while since there's been any news on that, but I think it's safe to say that it will be significantly more expensive than the MK3S+ but still reasonably competitive.

I think the MK3S is outrageously priced in 2021* with it's meager 210x210 build plate, but I'd gladly pay $1200 for a 400x400x400 prusa. At that size you can start printing chairs and stepstools for kids up to about 10 years old (standard adult chairs are about 457mm (18"), an economy airline seat is 431mm (17")_). There are a lot of things you can print once you start getting up to the 15x15x15" volume range

*current ender 3 v2 owner speaking (225x225 build plate, and 235x235 if you're brave enough)

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I think the MK3S is outrageously priced in 2021* with it's meager 210x210 build plate, but I'd gladly pay $1200 for a 400x400x400 prusa. At that size you can start printing chairs and stepstools for kids up to about 10 years old (standard adult chairs are about 457mm (18"), an economy airline seat is 431mm (17")_). There are a lot of things you can print once you start getting up to the 15x15x15" volume range

*current ender 3 v2 owner speaking (225x225 build plate, and 235x235 if you're brave enough)

250x210, though truthfully the widest piece I've been able to actually print was 249.9mm since it gave "toolpath out of bounds" errors at 250.

They know their business better than I do, and they have given the range "$1200-1500" several times in public, but after watching 3DPN's Prusa factory tour I'd be shocked if they're able to come in at $1200. Not to keep flogging a long-dead horse, but the quality and care they put into each printer multiplied by how much bigger (as in, more complex/number of parts/more physical material) a CoreXY 400x400x400 is going to be... I am fully expecting it to be $1500 or more. I hope I'm wrong. I'm generally wary of one-dot-oh releases but a $1200 Prusa XL would be tough to turn down. I want to print bigger stuff, to the point that I'm still mulling over insta's CR-10 offerings.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

becoming posted:

I like OctoPrint a lot. It's a bit of a pig and unfortunately doesn't run well on a Pi Zero, but if you have a spare 3B or 4B sitting around, it's super handy. (Prusa does maintain their own version of OctoPrint which is meant to run on a Zero and can hook right up to the motherboard of your MK3S+ and this may be worth considering if you've got a spare Pi Zero-W around.) Base OctoPrint is handy for remote monitoring, a remote-accessible terminal for running gcode (probably less handy on your Prusa but it's been a lifesaver on my Ender 3 v2 and deltas), and timelapses look cool and can be really helpful for seeing when/how a print went wrong. There are mobile clients for OctoPrint - I really like OctoPod on iOS / iPadOS - which enrich the experience. A lot of OctoPrint's strength comes from its plugins though, similar to how Firefox is much better once you get some Extensions rolling - Octolapse and The Spaghetti Detective are the famous ones, but there are hundreds of plugins big and small that add all sorts of great functionality.

My printers are in my basement and while I spend plenty of time down there, it's pretty nice to be able to slice and print from my living room while I'm splitting time with being a dad, or check on a print while the rest of us are all done dinner but the four-year-old is on hour two of finishing her four chicken nuggets. For my life, OctoPrint is great.

Sounds fair enough, but really I probably don't want a much larger footprint at this point in time. Really, many stars would have to align to really give me a good reason to upgrade at this point.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So I haven't ever ventured into Resin printing before. What's the current king of the hill? I am trying to ballpark the amount of printing that can be done out of one bottle of resin. While the print quality should exceed my current FDM's, my concern is I am paying 2-3x just to feed it. Am I wrong in this?
What is it that you are printing? If it's miniatures then it's kind of an easy switch to make, if it's giant cosplay parts then maybe not so easy. A single litre of resin can probably make somewhere around 100 miniatures with bases.

In terms of machines, they all print great (the only thing you'll want to get is one with a monochrome screen). The decision really comes down to size of stuff you want to print. A 6" build plate is fine for miniatures but restricting for anything else.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

There's really no king of the hill. Each of the major manufacturers are in an arms race to be the first out the door with the latest upgrade to the technology. It's going to be evolving rapidly over the next few years.

The major consumer manufacturers are Anycubic, Phrozen, Elegoo, and Epax. In this thread, I think the Elegoo Mars series inches ahead of the others in popularity, but any of those companies are going to work for you. It ends up being personal preference. Each one has issues and each has strengths, so it all balances out. I would avoid any of the clones, since they don't tend to be any cheaper than the major brands.

Really it all boils down to figuring out what works for you based upon size you need, best print quality desired (which shifts brands monthly), and your budget. What are you looking to do?

And btw, resin is more expensive than filament in terms of volume, but you're probably not going to be printing the same things as you would in filament due to the resolution differences. In the end, it ends up being about the same total $ spent.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Prusa's filament is real expensive shipped. I've liked the sample roll it came with, but shipping makes each roll basically double the cost of anything else. Anyone find it worth that huge markup? Otherwise I'll probably switch back to Hatchbox PLA my next roll, or is there some new PLA that's super popular since the last time I dug heavily into the available brands?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I’ve been enjoying jessiePLA in the states… it’s cheap and has lots of colors and it’s a been a nice site to work with for me (printedsolid.com)

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

Prusa's filament is real expensive shipped. I've liked the sample roll it came with, but shipping makes each roll basically double the cost of anything else. Anyone find it worth that huge markup? Otherwise I'll probably switch back to Hatchbox PLA my next roll, or is there some new PLA that's super popular since the last time I dug heavily into the available brands?

I think it's worth it for some colors that are unique or unique-enough - I've bought a few rolls of Prusament PETG both for colors and for Prusa's finely-tuned profile for it. Otherwise I'm mostly printing Inland PLA+ and the super-cheap IIID Max PLA+ which is surprisingly decent despite being $8.99/kg.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I'll second the IIID Max/GST3D filament, it's astonishingly good stuff for what it costs. I've ordered 30 rolls of it in the last couple of months, and have completely run through 6 or 7 of those now with absolutely zero issues. I'll also second the Jessie PLA - I had some issues with a couple of their discounted "transition" rolls, but the regular stuff (which apparently has been updated to a better mfg process now?) has always been stellar.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

becoming posted:

Otherwise I'm mostly printing Inland PLA+

This is what I've been using, mostly because it's cheap and Microcenter is pretty close so it's easy to get. It's been good so far.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yeah i had issues with transition rolls, they sent me a roll of "premium" transition to try out but i haven't opened it yet

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yep, Inland PLA+ for anything ‘higher end’ that I sell and the GST3D Pla+ for everything else.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'll try out Inland next, Amazon has it same as Hatchbox: I can get it delivered before noon the next day.

I see GST3D, but it's slower shipping.

It also sounds like there's a lot of totally fine PLA right now, there isn't some standout real good one.

I'm still surprised at this big shiftover to PLA from ABS, the last time I was printing really heavily (2013ish), everyone was gung-ho about ABS and there was a lot of hate for PLA.

edit: For colors (especially if you're painting), do people still avoid black filament? Last time I was heavily ordering plastic, everyone discouraged using black because concerns about manufacturing quality across the board. It looks like it's probably less true now that so many manufacturers pushing their manufacturing precision so hard.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 14, 2021

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I’m a big fan of atomic PLA, I’ve also done a bit with matterhackers ToughPLA, which has more ductile strength (feels less brittle, more rubbery). No problems I can blame on the materials yet.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wish Makergeeks hadn't been run by such shitheads because they used to make some good filament.

Had some seriously stupid people in sales promising stock that didn't exist when huge coupon deals went out in emails, took orders they couldn't ship and then refused to cancel/refund orders if a customer lost patience waiting for delivery.

But when you actually got filament? That poo poo was excellent.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Chainclaw posted:

edit: For colors (especially if you're painting), do people still avoid black filament? Last time I was heavily ordering plastic, everyone discouraged using black because concerns about manufacturing quality across the board. It looks like it's probably less true now that so many manufacturers pushing their manufacturing precision so hard.

Black seems fine, what causes problems for me is white

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The historical argument against black filament was that it was going to have all the recycled mistake rolls and floor sweepings mixed in because the pigment covers everything up. That might have been the case when 3D printing was still a tiny niche field. These days they're pumping out so much filament that the process is going to be highly optimized and produce little waste, and I can't imagine anyone but the absolute cheapest manufacturers still bothering to recycle garbage like that.

White filament is inherently problematic because you need a lot of unmeltable titanium dioxide (etc) as an opacifier. It never seems to flow as nicely as natural material does.

e: and incidentally, for all the problems ABS has with contraction, if you watch the extrusion it's clear that it was designed as a molding plastic. Nothing flows as beautifully and easily as natural ABS.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 14, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Anycubic DLP KS is up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e4aa67-69662102

Of course I got one because I have no self-control.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I hope it doesn't take long for larger DLP printers to become available. That Ultra just has too small a build area for me to justify replacing my Mars 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The instant a Prusa with toolchanging / true multi-material goes on sale or preorder or whatever I am mashing BUY so hard I'm going to need a finger splint.