Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Gaspy Conana posted:

We've got a 1 year old and we know we want him to have a sibling but we're unsure of the timing. Any opinions on a 23 month/2 year age gap? Does it even matter? I'd love for them to be able to play with one another on approximately the same level when they're a little older, so that seems pretty good?

My kids (currently 2.5 years and 3 months) are 26 months apart. We started trying when the first was 16 months, and it took a few cycles. I’m happy with the age gap, but it is HARD. The toddler absolutely loves her little brother, and loves helping and trying to make him smile, but she’s still too little to understand a lot of things. Mostly that her actions can end up hurting the baby somehow. It requires constant, within arms reach, supervision, and is exhausting.

However she is learning, and it has been getting easier. If you have a helpful spouse it is very manageable, especially once you feel comfortable managing both kids at the same time to give the other a break.

It’s going to be a hard transition no matter what, do what feels right for you and your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Man, overnight growth spurt and suddenly my little dude is too big for size 1's. I thought there'd be more time!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Kingtheninja posted:

Man, overnight growth spurt and suddenly my little dude is too big for size 1's. I thought there'd be more time!

Size ones are very temporary, they get big so fast! They go from newborn to two so fast I sometimes wonder why ones exist at all. The twos will last a little longer. If you have extra unopened size ones, many stores will do an exchange for a different size.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm surprised by that, we are in size ones at 17 weeks.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Sure as poo poo, 2 weeks into daycare and all three of us have a headcold. We both tested negative on the binax take home test, and nobody has a fever, but man even if it’s not COVID, it shows how easy a virus can spread.

Also, people were lying about the incredible amounts of snot coming from an ittybitty cute nose.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
At least you made it 2 weeks. We started school last week (just Tuesdays and Thursdays) and now both kids and their dad have a cold. The preschool plague is real.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Is 16 months old enough to give the kid a pillow? He keeps bunching up his blankets under his head and then crying because he's cold in the middle of the night.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Can I please flush my kid down the toilet

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Is 16 months old enough to give the kid a pillow? He keeps bunching up his blankets under his head and then crying because he's cold in the middle of the night.

We gave our son a toddler pillow at probably like 20 months? They've got a lot less poofiness than a normal pillow, it lies a lot flatter but is just enough for him to cushion his head without having to strain his neck up to get on a regular pillow. If hes already subbing in blankets to do the job, maybe it's worth a shot?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Sure as poo poo, 2 weeks into daycare and all three of us have a headcold. We both tested negative on the binax take home test, and nobody has a fever, but man even if it’s not COVID, it shows how easy a virus can spread.

Also, people were lying about the incredible amounts of snot coming from an ittybitty cute nose.

Any time I see a kid at daycare with a runny nose, I figure I have four or five days before I am sick.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wife had a 7:30 call, got up at 6 and pumped. I wake up when she comes in to get in the shower, baby is still asleep so I get dressed and come out. I start cooking sausage patties and scrambled eggs for toddler and myself, then wife comes out and says baby is awake and I need to feed her a bottle because she doesn’t have time.

Cooking breakfast for three because wife wanted some too it turned out, feeding bottle to baby, feeding toddler his breakfast, and have a breakfast sandwich in front of me before 8, which is a miracle because while that doesn’t sound like much on paper…toddler asking to watch TV, baby escalating in her hangryness, wife texting from bathroom asking for eggs, still have bottles to make and label for baby at daycare which the state makes a pain in the rear end, and taking toddler and baby to daycare but coming back with toddler to spend the entire day with him all by ourselves. And maybe I’ll fit in studying some for my A&P oral & practical exams.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

boquiabierta posted:

Can I please flush my kid down the toilet

Judging by the number of times my kid has tried and failed to flush Legos down the toilet, I think the answer is no

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

life is killing me posted:

Wife had a 7:30 call, got up at 6 and pumped. I wake up when she comes in to get in the shower, baby is still asleep so I get dressed and come out. I start cooking sausage patties and scrambled eggs for toddler and myself, then wife comes out and says baby is awake and I need to feed her a bottle because she doesn’t have time.

Cooking breakfast for three because wife wanted some too it turned out, feeding bottle to baby, feeding toddler his breakfast, and have a breakfast sandwich in front of me before 8, which is a miracle because while that doesn’t sound like much on paper…toddler asking to watch TV, baby escalating in her hangryness, wife texting from bathroom asking for eggs, still have bottles to make and label for baby at daycare which the state makes a pain in the rear end, and taking toddler and baby to daycare but coming back with toddler to spend the entire day with him all by ourselves. And maybe I’ll fit in studying some for my A&P oral & practical exams.

Is this a flex?

But seriously, rock on superdad!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dobbs_Head posted:

Is this a flex?

But seriously, rock on superdad!

Nooooooooyes

Little fucker napped for just 45 minutes and poo poo his pants six times today. Then just ten minutes ago I’m in the kitchen, and baby is in her bumbo, he is in the living room trying to get my attention: “Daddy, Dada, look!” I turn and see her with a big burp rag sitting on her head and over her face and saw her flailing to get it off and something primal took over and I went nuclear. Not like Tsar Bomba mind you, more like a small tactical nuke, but gently caress. I know he didn’t know better. Wife picked him up and comforted him while he cried, but backed me up by telling him I was just trying to get his attention quickly, which was true. Now feeling like a monster for scaring him, but even though baby wasn’t in imminent danger, I was also pretty scared. If he’d not gotten my attention to show me something he thought was cool, I wouldn’t have known.

e: dude do I have to take this kid to the doctor? So so sick of wiping his rear end multiple times daily. He had six pairs of athletic pants newly washed yesterday. Between poop accidents and pee accidents, we’ve gone through them already and there is a literal pile of lovely underwear in the utility sink soaking in Oxyclean

e2: tried two different Enfamil formulas, second one we tried was SIL’s recommendation since their infant had the same diarrhea issues and it got better with this. But not our kid. Is it time to switch brands or is it time to get her to the doctor too?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 15, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
This morning while homeschooling my daughter, as told by my wife.

"Mommy, wouldn't it be weird if Daddy wore your skin and you wore his?" :stonklol:

...wait, which one of us is Cage and which is Travolta? One of those moments that makes you wonder "...red flag?"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

D34THROW posted:

This morning while homeschooling my daughter, as told by my wife.

"Mommy, wouldn't it be weird if Daddy wore your skin and you wore his?" :stonklol:

...wait, which one of us is Cage and which is Travolta? One of those moments that makes you wonder "...red flag?"

Get out. And do it now. She may already know your plans.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Any full homeschoolers in this thread, or a homeschooling thread perhaps? I'm trying to get my wife to pay the :10bux: to join and want to give her some incentive.
I'm fully homeschooling my daughter for 2nd grade this year or until a child COVID-19 vaccine is available. We're having the best time so far! I'm sure the novelty will wear off but for the past two weeks she's been waking me up at like 7 a.m. begging to do schoolwork.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yesiree, baby waking up an hour after I finally went to bed. See, this is why I shouldn’t ever socialize and instead make myself go to sleep the earliest possible time after the kids do.

Haha why try to have friendships or whatever.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

Haha why try to have friendships or whatever.

Probably one of my favorite thread title candidates, if a mod changed it to this even though it was just changed, I’d support it

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

e: dude do I have to take this kid to the doctor? So so sick of wiping his rear end multiple times daily. He had six pairs of athletic pants newly washed yesterday. Between poop accidents and pee accidents, we’ve gone through them already and there is a literal pile of lovely underwear in the utility sink soaking in Oxyclean

It's up to you but I would have done so a couple of weeks ago, based on what you've been posting.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
We just had the worst night with our 20 month-old ever, including when he was a newborn. gently caress, man.

He's been sick and got my husband sick too; luckily I seem to have escaped this time unscathed BUT I did throw out my back yesterday (doing absolutely nothing except existing in my mid-thirties body, yay aging) so all three of us are hurting. Kid usually goes down for bedtime pretty easily, but last night absolutely refused even after Tylenol and cough medicine. We let him cry it out for a while, went in and comforted him, let him cry it out some more, went in and comforted him, etc. After about six cycles of this we just took him out of bed to watch TV with us and he was absolutely rapt, staring at the TV like if he blinked he'd never get milk again.

When it was time for Mama and Dada to go to bed too we tried again to put him down. He was not having it so we decided to take him into our room. He's never slept with us since he was a little baby but we thought we'd try. We then spent the rest of the night trying in vain to get him to lie down between us and SLEEP, but no, if my boobs are there he cannot be doing anything except nursing with me lying flat on my back. I can try to turn on my side and offer him the boob on top but no, he pushes me back down and will just suckle forever, eventually falling asleep like that but gently caress if I try to move him even a little bit when he's asleep. My back is killing me like this and I can't sleep but he just starts flat-out screaming when I take him off the boob. I left the bed and slept on the couch for about an hour or so, since boobs need to be out of sight to be out of mind. But he wouldn't let my husband sleep comfortably either, he has to be ON TOP of him even though my husband tries to cuddle him on his side, he will only sleep either draped over me nursing or fully on top of my husband. I get back into bed to relieve my husband at some point, and kid goes back to my boobs like a magnet. My left nipple is incredibly sore and I try to get him to take the right side, but for some reason only the left will do and he's screaming and crying again. Repeat ad nauseam. Hard to say if any of us really got any sleep.

We're going on a trip next month and if it weren't for that I would stop nursing immediately. Last night made me realize I am DONE. But I want to be able to comfort him when he's on an airplane for the first time and in lots of new settings in October, so now seems like an inopportune time to stop. But once we get back from our trip it's game over, buddy. I can't do it anymore. Also having a sick kid who is also teething and on the verge of a major developmental leap (I hope I hope I hope) is no fun at all.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's up to you but I would have done so a couple of weeks ago, based on what you've been posting.

Yeah well…we thought he was being stubborn because he’s…well, stubborn

cailleask
May 6, 2007

That many poops a day sounds like diarrhea- if my early potty trained kids were going to have a poop accident, it was usually because of that. They don’t deal well with sudden urgency. I’d definitely take him to the doctor to figure out why he’s pooping so often and probably use pull-ups besides. Poor guy probably can’t figure out his body signals that fast.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

cailleask posted:

That many poops a day sounds like diarrhea- if my early potty trained kids were going to have a poop accident, it was usually because of that. They don’t deal well with sudden urgency. I’d definitely take him to the doctor to figure out why he’s pooping so often and probably use pull-ups besides. Poor guy probably can’t figure out his body signals that fast.

About half the time he's in pull-ups when it happens. But it's not diarrhea, it's definitely more solid, almost as if he's constipated. We aren't sure if he's just constantly sharting or something else is going on, we thought it was a power move thing and maybe it is a combination of that and bowel problems, but either way, for about 6-9 months or thereabouts he was great about knowing when he had to poop and going to the potty--though he'd occasionally just not make it, most of the time he did. Could see his face change as he realized he had to poop, and would wordlessly power-walk to the potty. Now, most of the time, he doesn't even bother; by the time we prompt him to go to the potty, he's shat his pants and will go in the bathroom and then call out that he's pooped in his underwear or pull-up.

It's immensely frustrating, but I've been keeping my cool if only because he's a child and I'm not sure it's entirely his fault--and even if it was, I've been working on ignoring/not overreacting to the things I don't want him to do, and praising him for the things I do want to see. That's just hard to impossible when he's not doing the thing I want to be praising him for. He hasn't completely poo poo in the potty in at least a month, and even partially making GBS threads in the toilet I can count on one hand.

ne: if constipation, which we think is most likely, we've been giving him fiber-rich foods and hydrating him with electrolytes. But his appetite has waned a bit, another reason we think he's probably backed up and isn't really having an entire bowel movement in the potty. It's like partial solid bowel movements, and the rest is staying up there; he keeps getting on the potty saying, "It's not working" and sounding frustrated.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 15, 2021

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

IANAD but our pediatrician recommended PediaLax for acute constipation. #2 is on probiotics a maintenance dose of Miralax since he tends to get majorly backed up without. Even when he's constipated with a giganto-turd like he is right now, some of the outer layer softens and sloughs off until it just sort of...slides out and we marvel at the slippery boulder of brown that just left his body.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My youngest doesn’t have any poop issues other than in the time I took to go start warming her milk before bedtime and came back she had dumped turds all over her rug and was holding 2 of them up and saying “I poo” :byodood:

Thankfully none got stepped on or smeared anywhere and that rug was time to go anyway.

She’s good at peeing in the potty but #2 training is a whole new ball o wax!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Constipation in a toddler is complicated and can take a long time to unravel. You have all sorts of behavioral consequences to deal with. The behavioral issues can reinforce the constipation (by him withholding) and the constipation causes pain which causes him to withhold it further.

Consult with a pediatrician. Do not start giving him laxatives without consulting with them first.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Divorce mediators are supposed to… mediate… right? We got absolutely nothing accomplished today. Husband, despite still not having a place to live, wants joint physical custody. He also wants a poo poo ton of money. We basically argued for an hour, and the mediator just sat there. At the end she said “well you can’t come up with an agreement at this time so we will have to reconvene.” I thought she was supposed to HELP us reach an agreement???

I’m so frustrated with how it went, $300 down the toilet.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Constipation in a toddler is complicated and can take a long time to unravel. You have all sorts of behavioral consequences to deal with. The behavioral issues can reinforce the constipation (by him withholding) and the constipation causes pain which causes him to withhold it further.

Consult with a pediatrician. Do not start giving him laxatives without consulting with them first.

We do not do that, pediatrician gets a call before we do just about anything related to his health

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Toddler’s first nap in a toddler bed and I’m just watching her periodically ooze further over the edge of the bed frame on the monitor.

Will the end of the nap or the floor come first? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Koivunen posted:

Divorce mediators are supposed to… mediate… right? We got absolutely nothing accomplished today. Husband, despite still not having a place to live, wants joint physical custody. He also wants a poo poo ton of money. We basically argued for an hour, and the mediator just sat there. At the end she said “well you can’t come up with an agreement at this time so we will have to reconvene.” I thought she was supposed to HELP us reach an agreement???

I’m so frustrated with how it went, $300 down the toilet.

I honestly think in your case mediation is unlikely to work out in anything more than a whole buttload of sessions. From everything you've said, he refuses to really admit any fault, and is unlikely to budge even the slightest bit. Mediator also sounds not terribly great, since they are generally supposed to be good at conflict resolution and facilitating meaningful communication. But even with a good mediator, I don't really know what the chances of a successful divorce through mediation are for you.

First thing to do is consider a different mediator. Second, is to consider if it might make more sense in the long run to get the courts involved.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like the start of a $50,000 legal fee divorce/child custody that's going to drag on for a decade. Sounds like the moderator knows he's not even a speed bump on the journey you're beginning

Good luck

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
My one year old has hand, foot & mouth disease, and I’m immunosuppressed. My doctor hasn’t gotten back to me on whether it’s safe to be around him, and he’s crying his eyes out in the next room over. I wish I could just hug him. This sucks.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

Will the end of the nap or the floor come first? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All of ours have, at some point, done this. I don't think any of them have actually woken up from it. In fact, #4 will protest bedtime by laying down on the floor with a blanket and pillow.

We usually find him in bed twenty minutes later.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Seconding this. Constipation is both incredibly common and often misdiagnosed / mistreated. Without an X-ray it’s difficult to understand how deep the issue goes, and a laxative may produce immediate results but not resolve the underlying issue. Not to mention the behavioral component of rewarding or punishing for behavior your son can’t necessarily control. Do your research and don’t be afraid to get a specialist involved.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010
Sounds stressful! I would just put this kid back in nappies and not attempt toilet training for a couple of months. He's clearly not ready, either physically (get him checked out for encopresis), cognitively or mentally (maybe because of the new sibling and work changes at home) and the stress it's causing the household seems horrible. Also 6 shits in a day sounds like a medical problem, I doubt he could manage that by sheer force of will.

If he were mine, I would keep him in nappies for the next 3 months or so and use that time to not worry about toilet training at all and reconnect to him - use the nappy changes, to make toileting a not stressful thing - sing to him, play little games, tell him what a good kid he is. Then slowly reintroduce the potty and but real chill about it, have him in nappies most of the time but have him sit on it after meals, before bath, before bed etc and praise him for any interest or attempt. Then do a really slow toilet train over several months (i think this might be called toilet awareness or toilet education? rather than the 3 day, no clothes way people do it)

One thing a friend told me a couple of years ago that really stuck with me, is that difficult kids are not giving you a hard time, they are having a hard time. If we are having a hard time at home or with another person in your life, we as adults have lots of ways to mediate that - we can speak to friends, we might have an escape at work, we can go out, exercise, ask for advice, do things to change the environment etc, but little kids can't do anything like that, we are all they have and we control their whole world.

Obvious I know, but it's something that always comes back to me when my kids are being assholes.

Nooooooooyes

Little fucker napped for just 45 minutes and poo poo his pants six times today. Then just ten minutes ago I’m in the kitchen, and baby is in her bumbo, he is in the living room trying to get my attention: “Daddy, Dada, look!” I turn and see her with a big burp rag sitting on her head and over her face and saw her flailing to get it off and something primal took over and I went nuclear. Not like Tsar Bomba mind you, more like a small tactical nuke, but gently caress. I know he didn’t know better. Wife picked him up and comforted him while he cried, but backed me up by telling him I was just trying to get his attention quickly, which was true. Now feeling like a monster for scaring him, but even though baby wasn’t in imminent danger, I was also pretty scared. If he’d not gotten my attention to show me something he thought was cool, I wouldn’t have known.

e2: tried two different Enfamil formulas, second one we tried was SIL’s recommendation since their infant had the same diarrhea issues and it got better with this. But not our kid. Is it time to switch brands or is it time to get her to the doctor too?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I mean again, we are going to get a doctor involved, but it’s been rough for awhile and I was harder on him than I should have been, his fault or not. So that has stopped and has been replaced with just not reacting and praising him when he actually does use the potty. It’s just so rare anymore that I find myself just sucking it up and wiping his butt and it’s just a mundane thing now.

To be clear he has been potty trained. He knows how to use the potty for peeing and pooping, and he’s had months of success with few accidents. This is why we are so stumped and are starting finally to think it’s a medical thing. Like, we aren’t neglectful monsters, it just easily slipped by us because we’ve been having a rocky time the past couple months with my family and covid and kids being home and me studying for exams and wife going back to work and not getting much sleep with the baby while she goes through a milestone, you name it. It hasn’t slowed down much yet and often I’ve been alone with both kids, gotten them ready for school on my own, made bottles on my own, both taken them to daycare and picked them up, cooked dinner for toddler, and put both of them down for the night. Other times I’ve been alone with one or both kids all day, and if I’m not I’m working.

So it’s been exhausting and we’ve been just trying to survive. In the middle of all of it so is our toddler, and it just kind of flew under the radar until I told my wife I couldn’t wipe his rear end another time one night or I was going to go crazy.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
How old is your youngest? Our potty trained toddler regressed for ages once our second arrived.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

femcastra posted:

How old is your youngest? Our potty trained toddler regressed for ages once our second arrived.

He’s 3…he was doing fine when our second arrived but then Mommy went back to work and we didn’t prepare him for that. So at this point not sure if regression, medical problem, or both happening simultaneously in the most unfortunate way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

He’s 3…he was doing fine when our second arrived but then Mommy went back to work and we didn’t prepare him for that. So at this point not sure if regression, medical problem, or both happening simultaneously in the most unfortunate way

If it’s any consolation, all of this is incredibly common in kids who potty train at a young age. They learn and then regress between ages 3-5, leading to constipation. Or they have constipation leading to regression. It’s one of the reasons some groups are against the ‘potty train in 3 days ASAP’ mentality.