Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dogstile posted:

Having to explain this to people over and over again was driving me insane when it came out. I'm absolutely sure it negatively affected their sales, which sucks because it was so good.

I don't get how anyone could think it was a replacement for Xcom 3 given it costed like $20. It was very clearly a budget title designed for testing mechanics for bigger projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Some dude on Reddit posted some stuff from Edge magazine about Midnight Suns.

https://www.reddit.com/r/midnightsuns/comments/pl3lhj/snippets_from_the_midnight_suns_feature_in_edge/

EDIT: Should I just make a Midnight Suns thread or something? I think I'm one of the few people here excited for it.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 9, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

quote:

You might not be using your surroundings for cover any more, but that doesn’t mean things within the environment are useless. Heroes can leap off the bonnets of cars, kick or throw chunks of scenery at enemies, and bring traps crashing down on their heads. This interaction all goes hand in hand with what the Firaxis devs refer to as “combat geometry” – Into The Breach-style knockback effects and directional attacks that reward smart positioning.

Into The Breach does feel like the most obvious game to influence Firaxis

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Chairchucker posted:

EDIT: Should I just make a Midnight Suns thread or something? I think I'm one of the few people here excited for it.

Probably should get it's own thread and I am also excited about it. Everything I see and read about it makes me more hype, it really sounds like a game I'm going to loving love.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get how anyone could think it was a replacement for Xcom 3 given it costed like $20. It was very clearly a budget title designed for testing mechanics for bigger projects.

But... it was the next game after Xcom 2!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still enjoy that the city with its poo poo most together is apparently Pittsburgh

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

rantmo posted:

Probably should get it's own thread and I am also excited about it. Everything I see and read about it makes me more hype, it really sounds like a game I'm going to loving love.

OK I'll cobble something together.

EDIT: OK I did it. I've never done a game thread before so I probs missed a bunch but that'll do for a start I guess.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978943

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 10, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Chairchucker posted:

OK I'll cobble something together.

EDIT: OK I did it. I've never done a game thread before so I probs missed a bunch but that'll do for a start I guess.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978943

godspeed

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ITB was a tad easy to "solve", but it does have the advantage that it feels completely fair at all times. Whereas XCOM felt utterly unfair at times, where you could never know if moving a unit forward would result in activation of 2 MEC pods and a squad wipe.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

ITB was a tad easy to "solve", but it does have the advantage that it feels completely fair at all times. Whereas XCOM felt utterly unfair at times, where you could never know if moving a unit forward would result in activation of 2 MEC pods and a squad wipe.

This is why every playthrough where I promise myself I'm totally definitely not going to save scum this time, for real though, never works out. I run into some BS line of play shenanigans where 3 pods all just so happen to saunter into radius on the same turn and nope right out of there.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I always gently caress up the city missions because I want to perch up in the buildings, they have good cover and good sightlines and never have enemies above the ground floor, but sometimes that means you activate like 5 pods at once and die.

Playing around pods is really the worst part of the game, are there any good mod options here? It seems like a lot of people play with all pods active mods, or similar. I tried playing with Yellow Alert, but I found it quite frustrating how they would sometimes get additional actions on activation, led to what felt like a lot of cheap shots.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I always gently caress up the city missions because I want to perch up in the buildings, they have good cover and good sightlines and never have enemies above the ground floor, but sometimes that means you activate like 5 pods at once and die.

Playing around pods is really the worst part of the game, are there any good mod options here? It seems like a lot of people play with all pods active mods, or similar. I tried playing with Yellow Alert, but I found it quite frustrating how they would sometimes get additional actions on activation, led to what felt like a lot of cheap shots.

Yellow Alert includes options to remove the additional actions on activation. Otherwise, yeah it's basically all pods start active mods.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://gist.github.com/xPaw/6a42aafd3c9d19b3ceab2e90b5a37cd2

Apparently a Geforce Now Leak.

XCOM 3 is on the list.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hot loving drat

e: actually, looking at this? i'm no longer quite as excited, and i'll tell you why:

which xcom game that we all know of is CONSPICUOUSLY MISSING from this list?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 13, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Coolguye posted:

hot loving drat

e: actually, looking at this? i'm no longer quite as excited, and i'll tell you why:

which xcom game that we all know of is CONSPICUOUSLY MISSING from this list?

I guess The Bureau just wasn't that popular

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
That whole list is... weird.

Why is XCOM listed under 2K but Chimera Squad and 'XCOM 3' under Firaxis? No XCOM 2? There's also all the other non-XCOM weirdness.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/jezcorden/status/1437412970670219268?s=21

Apparently there is some degree of (non-2k) corroboration of the leak, as there are several MS project code names on the list. Some appears to be legit at least.

Edit:

The leak is unreleased things, some of it is prerelease, some cancelled. I know super mario bros, fr'ex was on the shield in China.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 13, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zore posted:

No XCOM 2?
this is what ran my antenna up. all the OG games being there but no xcom 2 made me think "oh, this is a typo."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The extremely weird capitalization has me raising my eyebrow. and there's a lot of incomplete stuff on the list in general

- "Firaxis Unannounced" which I can only assume is Midnight Suns

- "Call of Duty 2021" a game we've known the name of for a while now

- "Bioshock 2022" is also listed on here which is about as vague as you can get since I don't think that game has been more than a rumor

- Overwatch 2 is also on here and that game is nowhere near done

- Entries for both "Warcraft 3 remastered" and "Warcraft III: Reforged"

- "Disable the console serial port on Jetson TX1"

- Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach AND Five Nights at Freddys: Security Breach with a listed publisher as some dude named Andrew Dayton

- The unnamed Bethesda Indiana Jones game is on here too?

- A lot of stuff from that old Capcom leak - Dragon's Dogma 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, untitled "Monster Hunter 6"

Basically I think the only thing you can extrapolate from this is that an XCOM 3 is maybe being made which...yeah. That doesn't mean it's in any meaningful stage of production though.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 13, 2021

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In a recent interview (for Midnight Suns) Jake said he wanted to die in his bed still making XCOM 18 or something.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Chairchucker posted:

In a recent interview (for Midnight Suns) Jake said he wanted to die in his bed still making XCOM 18 or something.

Weird that he makes games from bed but ok

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Blockhouse posted:

The extremely weird capitalization has me raising my eyebrow. and there's a lot of incomplete stuff on the list in general

- "Firaxis Unannounced" which I can only assume is Midnight Suns

- "Call of Duty 2021" a game we've known the name of for a while now

- "Bioshock 2022" is also listed on here which is about as vague as you can get since I don't think that game has been more than a rumor

- Overwatch 2 is also on here and that game is nowhere near done

- Entries for both "Warcraft 3 remastered" and "Warcraft III: Reforged"

- "Disable the console serial port on Jetson TX1"

- Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach AND Five Nights at Freddys: Security Breach with a listed publisher as some dude named Andrew Dayton

- The unnamed Bethesda Indiana Jones game is on here too?

- A lot of stuff from that old Capcom leak - Dragon's Dogma 2, Resident Evil 4 Remake, untitled "Monster Hunter 6"

Basically I think the only thing you can extrapolate from this is that an XCOM 3 is maybe being made which...yeah. That doesn't mean it's in any meaningful stage of production though.

It's a mixture of stuff under testing, streaming only poo poo, stuff that got cancelled, and things coming up.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

LonsomeSon posted:

Weird that he makes games from bed but ok

Is it? The covid permaWFH is showing us all that the old ways like 'be in an office' and 'do your work wearing pants' weren't as necessary as everyone thought.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

Maybe if, as a society, we'd let Jake Solomon work from his bed earlier we wouldn't have had to wait until XCOM 2 for snake titties.

Makes u think...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ripper Swarm posted:

Maybe if, as a society, we'd let Jake Solomon work from his bed earlier we wouldn't have had to wait until XCOM 2 for snake titties.

Makes u think...

Most likely it would have taken a lot longer between concept art and production

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Working from home requires the entire studio to adapt to the process of it an inevitably creates more disconnect between the separate elements. It has its advantages but also a lot of downsides for big team projects. The more people are forced to do it though the more adaption to it will become the norm.

Ripper Swarm posted:

Makes u think...

This does pose the question of what alien they will give big tits in Xcom 3.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

Chryssalids ---> Spider Girls

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Meme Poker Party posted:

Chryssalids ---> Spider Girls

you've thought about this

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Internet Kraken posted:

It's just the logical progression from pectoids.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Nah, you gotta shake things up. My money’s on Andromedonks.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Nah, you gotta shake things up. My money’s on Andromedonks.

gently caress

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

Mutons Of Finland

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Mutoms of Finland.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Internet Kraken posted:

Gatekeepers

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Gatekeepers are just big tits already, if you have the guts to take on two of them at once.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
*Balls. They'd be a very big pair of balls.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Let go all Saints Row 3 on my troops and let me give them massive honkin tittys or monster dongs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Let go all Saints Row 3 on my troops and let me give them massive honkin tittys or monster dongs.

Bring back Meld except instead of super gene powers or cyber augmentation, it just lets you adjust Lewd Sliders.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ripper Swarm posted:

Mutons Of Finland

Mamtons

Cause they got tons of mammaries, gettit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Gives new meaning to the term berserker tits