Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sentient Data posted:

Follow dosing instructions from your doctor.

... take 3 pills daily

one every 6 hours, just like my anti-psychotics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
hi doctor yes i need to know how much horse medicine i should be taking
hmm, zero?
how am i meant to be cured if i take zero
good thing this internet guide contains some REAL advice

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pictures can't lie so advice in picture form must be double true!

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Mnemonic devices have been rebranded as dimensional anchoring techniques.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's been Froot Loops for 58 years according to my cursory google. And why wouldn't it be? That's more Os to loop in the logo

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You fool, it's scientifically proven that it's impossible to create false memories, especially related to incidental facts that might have been noticed in a person's childhood. They're clearly drifting between dimensions, just like the smartest man in the universe (don't ask - if you don't already know, you wouldn't really understand the power of The Rick)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It was actually always Froop Loots but The Patriots censored it after 9/11

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

dumb asses
its been Fruit Luips since forever
dont fall victim to reddits spells

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Sentient Data posted:

You fool, it's scientifically proven that it's impossible to create false memories, especially related to incidental facts that might have been noticed in a person's childhood. They're clearly drifting between dimensions, just like the smartest man in the universe (don't ask - if you don't already know, you wouldn't really understand the power of The Rick)

The mándala effect thing works as a fun bit of head canon to explain circumstances accidentally implanting false memories

The problem is that Redditors are idiots and take it too seriously

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Yellow Yoshi posted:

my (69m) wife (420f) wants to eat mushrooms (3.5g) because she thinks it'll allow her to communicate with my spirit. am i an rear end in a top hat

ESH (everybody shroomin hard)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jestery posted:

The mándala effect thing works as a fun bit of head canon to explain circumstances accidentally implanting false memories

It’s the Mandela effect, since it’s named for people misremembering Nelson Mandela as dying in prison. The mandala effect is a better name though since it’s both a name and an example of it at the same time.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s the Mandela effect, since it’s named for people misremembering Nelson Mandela as dying in prison. The mandala effect is a better name though since it’s both a name and an example of it at the same time.

I have only heard of it as the mandala effect for that reason , it kinda works on three levels too

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Must be due to an interdimensional flux event

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jestery posted:

its actually really loving stupid, op

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Danaru posted:

It was actually always Froop Loots but The Patriots censored it after 9/11

And yet Tom Brady never answers for his crimes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The name makes no sense anyway because Mandela became extremely internationally famous and liked much later, he wasn’t viewed as positively or quite as well known until shortly before became president. Like he was still widely seen as a terrorist and a guerrilla if a relatively sympathetic one. So if you “remember him dying in prison” you probably don’t know a goddamn thing about South Africa and if you don’t know a goddamn thing about South Africa you probably would only have a faint idea if at all who he was if he had died in prison.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The name makes no sense anyway because Mandela became extremely internationally famous and liked much later, he wasn’t viewed as positively or quite as well known until shortly before became president. Like he was still widely seen as a terrorist and a guerrilla if a relatively sympathetic one. So if you “remember him dying in prison” you probably don’t know a goddamn thing about South Africa and if you don’t know a goddamn thing about South Africa you probably would only have a faint idea if at all who he was if he had died in prison.

My dad (an Englishman) is more than excited to let you know that Mandela is :actually: a terrorist.

:irony:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The legends say the Nellie Man split the timeways that fateful day. Faced with the chrono-portal, the Nellie Man chose freedom. But the Nellie Man didn't know--couldn't know--what a strange hell he chose for those who remained.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Last Chance posted:

its actually really loving stupid, op

Anyone using the term "head canon" should be strangled

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

The legends say the Nellie Man split the timeways that fateful day. Faced with the chrono-portal, the Nellie Man chose freedom. But the Nellie Man didn't know--couldn't know--what a strange hell he chose for those who remained.

Please stop saying "Nellie Man"

also it's "Nelly Man" :actually:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Man, /r/QuitYourBullshit is becoming some of the worst poo poo lately.

I encountered a thread where an OP from /r/AMA is being called out as a "serial liar" because they claim to be a 36 year old woman with autism who was living with her parents, had legal disputes with them over rent, is pregnant, and has posted nude pictures of themselves on Reddit.

So the "smoking guns" according to these people are that

-all that autism stuff is just too wacky, and they probably diagnosed it themselves and are a narcissistic liar
-the nude pictures in their post history are "obviously a middle-aged person," not a 36 year old woman
-and the OP claimed to have just had a miscarriage a month ago and yet now is saying they're pregnant again wtf??

Except... if you actually find that person's post history... they never have actually claimed to have had a miscarriage ever. And the pictures quite obviously could be a 36 year old.

The sub at least does not allow direct linking to the users, or the content, or naming them.... but it's insanely easy to still find the post in r/AMA and look at the user's history from there. So the result is that you've got a bunch of absolute idiot witch-hunting redditors salivating at the chance to epically pwn some autistic woman who has put nude pictures of herself out there and call her a narcissist and a psychopath and stuff. Basically an invitation to dox and harass someone because, shockingly, a sub about being skeptical of internet claims is completely incapable of critical thinking and will believe absolutely any story ever as long as it's about someone else being a liar.

I don't even want to link to the thread because I hope this woman's information stops being publicized in any way at all, but Redditors keep finding new ways to impress me with their absolute moronic assumptions that they are the smartest people in the room.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that the same AMA that used to be well organized and always had famous/interesting people in? I remember some drama with a mod who did all the work, holy poo poo if that sub is the same place because I just skimmed through it and almost all the ‘hot’ posts are all the most banal garbage possible.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

r/AMA is different from r/IAmA for some reason, I imagine yeah mod drama. I think the celebrities only go to the latter now

The OP I'm referring to has a tiny amount of engagement, yet the quityourbullshit thread somehow shot up to over 7000 upvotes extremely quickly.

Martman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 15, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My dad (an Englishman) is more than excited to let you know that Mandela is :actually: a terrorist.

:irony:

He was a terrorist.

And it’s rad as hell!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that the same AMA that used to be well organized and always had famous/interesting people in? I remember some drama with a mod who did all the work, holy poo poo if that sub is the same place because I just skimmed through it and almost all the ‘hot’ posts are all the most banal garbage possible.

iirc the person who did all the work got hired by reddit inc and they started doing a lot of "sponsored" amas where some movie star('s agent) would come in and answer every question by talking about their upcoming blockbuster which you should buy tickets for

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lol remember when Reddit found the Boston bomber?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Didn’t they point the finger at a dead kid, a track coach and student, and then the FBI basically said “Jesus loving Christ it’s these two and you guys are really loving it up”

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
"ha remember that fake boston bomber guy?"
"oh yeah the guy reddit thought did the attack but it turned out he was just some guy who was there then killed himself?"
"no shithead, i'm talking about kayvon edson"

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t they point the finger at a dead kid, a track coach and student, and then the FBI basically said “Jesus loving Christ it’s these two and you guys are really loving it up”

we did it reddit

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah they fingered a kid who was found dead a short while after who drowned in a river a few days before the attack.

Rabbit hole time

So bit of a derail but reddit wasn’t even the least irresponsible here. The whole story still blows my mind and really made me even more cynical about the US’s media being unwilling to really challenge the intelligence-industrial complex.

That being said at least a few people at the FBI or DHS I think knew or had a good idea exactly who did it already but were lying to save their career or in denial.

In grad school I wrote a research paper looking at the response from a management and organizational perspective and when I tried to dig deep in the relatively sparse information released about specific technical details regarding the older brother just don’t add up or were inconsistent.

It was well documented Tamerlan was interviewed by federal agents, but after the attack the few feds involved minimized it and said nothing of consequence happened despite the fact that at that point other agents verified he was already on a watchlist they had already received proof from the FSB he had visited and trained with jihadist groups when he traveled.

There is still no clear explanation how the brothers built the bombs, which is what really got me thinking that FBI covered up an error. Some official documents concluded that it was built in their garage despite other documents saying that chemical evidence shows this is extremely unlikely. There’s also inconsistency in different statements saying the either the bomb was simple yet effective versus bomb was surprisingly sophisticated and required some experience or knowledge beyond a techy-bro engineering dropout would be able to make without at least testing in a place where he could explode things without being bother. It would at least require lots of online communication with a dedicated expert to get it right safely without testing.

There’s a lot of references to trying to find or identify the bombmaker/leader but then… they just drop it and never mention it later.

Basically I’m like 80% at writing that paper that Tamerlan was an FBI informant and either the FBI wanted to use him as a guy who goes to mosques and asks people to do a terrorism and he played them and got enough help on bombmaking from them that he was able to figure out the last steps himself. Since it’s the FBI and they’re actually “professional” compared to like the DHS clown show the agents involved just buried everything tying them to him and kept their mouth shut and nobody in charge wanted to open that can of worms.

Anyway totally off topic but it still spooks me out thinking about it. I tend to assume incompetence but there’s a enough oddities that I think the Boston Bombing was actually in a loose sense a botched FBI sting operation.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There’s also the possibility I was trying to write a term paper and just didn’t dig deep enough to find out better explanations for the inconsistencies so don’t take my word for it or anything. It still bothered me though that no major journalist with any access seemed to want to tug at those threads.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Much like everything else on reddit, it went downhill fast

They had one dude on their who worked on vacuums that was interesting, and that opened the floodgates for garbage. I work at Kinkos (AMA)

I was the guy who shined Balki Bartakamous's shoes on Perfect Strangers, AMA

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

There’s also the possibility I was trying to write a term paper and just didn’t dig deep enough to find out better explanations for the inconsistencies so don’t take my word for it or anything. It still bothered me though that no major journalist with any access seemed to want to tug at those threads.

I thought it was interesting so thank you for posting.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
hey DAE norm McDonald dead???

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

gbs but from 2004 posted:

I cried wholesome tears

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

this is the way

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Posting about dead Norm McDonald in the interiordesign Reddit

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

gbs but from 2004 posted:

TIL

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

I didn't know.

r/TIFU

Crosspost to

r/fml
r/southeastasianassclappers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
what’s the best way to politicise dead Norm McDonald? i want to really up my reddit karma game to impress a girl