Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I want Kisara to stomp on me to death,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Farg posted:

does anyone have any tips for playing as rinwell? never used a magic person in a tales game before. I'm circa chapter 3. Any particularly good artes/combos i should look out for, any particular unlocks i should beeline, should i always be doubling up/combining or should I chain cast, etc?

Rinwell is kinda miserable until you unlock the title that has the passive that decreases cast time based on your combo count. And probably a cast time reduction passive too.

Then just use some of her physical artes to build up your combo count and fire off a spell. Or sit back and spam magic, then refresh your AG with a boost ability or by doing some normal attacks. I'm not at endgame yet but Rinwell definitely feels like she will be a late bloomer in terms of power(assuming she even gets there).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
horse meat

:gonk:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

You need better rods and some lures that Im not sure you can finish the first three lakes by themselves

idk how many total fish there are in the first 5 areas you can fish, but I got up to 16 different ones. You can definitely catch a ton of poo poo with patience :v: and tricks like letting some fish just go away while slightly luring others.

Seems like you can catch everything with any lure and nothing is gated, just that some lures make it hilariously easy to bait the right kinds of fish. The really rare fish seem to just be RNG though or maybe those are actually gated behind high level lures.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You don't see the other colonies in xenoblade because they flat out say that they've all fallen to Mechon attacks and were destroyed. Only scraps of survivors are left (though you don't meet them I don't think) and 6 and 9 are the last ones on the bucket list.

Also you start getting anti mechon weapons from (plot spoiler) When Dickson starts sharing that information, and considering who he really is that tracks.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Barudak posted:

You need better rods and some lures that Im not sure you can finish the first three lakes by themselves

I've been able to catch every fish without the proper lure. As far as I can tell they just make it easier to attract that fish and probably help make the fish you want show up.

Farg posted:

does anyone have any tips for playing as rinwell? never used a magic person in a tales game before. I'm circa chapter 3. Any particularly good artes/combos i should look out for, any particular unlocks i should beeline, should i always be doubling up/combining or should I chain cast, etc?
Air Thrust is a great general purpose spell and Shooting Star is the big spell I charge up for most of the time. Her normal attacks are awkward and not very useful and most of her air attacks I've unlocked are hard to hit with with the exception of Subzero Confinement and Celestial Hammer.

Combos are how you turn your buffs all-party and cast your big spells before you unlock them or don't have enough time for the full cast.
Your base spells can be combined with themselves for up to twice for different results and are quick to cast.

Thunder Blade-> Holy Lance->Divine Saber
Air Thrust->Cross Blade->Cyclone
Spread->Freeze Lancer->Tidal Wave

There are also some mixed spells I've found that you get by having 1 art stored and casting the other.
Cross Blade+Spread is Malstorm, and is accessible right from the start by storing 2 copies of Air Thrust then casting Spread.
Freeze Lancer+Holy Lance is Shooting Star and is accessible as soon as you get 1 of those 2 arts.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

Edit: Is this just an error on Xbox where the skit names don't pop up next to the skit indicator?

idk if they're not showing up for you at all, but after the skit name is on screen for like 5 seconds the name fades away to just show the button in the corner.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Is delicious :colbert:

Reminds me of when I went to a British school from a Norwegian school and some of the students freaked out over my horse salami sandwiches. Different cultures get weird about each other

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Horse is good, fantasy horse is better

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Third Area Lord lmao all of those reveals and I think this is officially the most hosed up Tales game now. To be more hosed up than Abyss is quite something!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't know why the don't give you a fast travel point to the final area 4 dungeon. Go to different spot, talk to person, get back to the entrance. Just let me travel to the entrance.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Currently stuck on a boss in the fourth region and I just… feel like something is entirely off with how this game balances its boss fights. You don’t get nearly enough gald to just stock up on all items unless you grind fish, a lot of equipment uses materials for enemies I haven’t even seen yet and I take massive damage, and the game seems to think I get certain boost abilities way more than I actually do, making some boss phases get completely unmanageable real quick

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
In area 4 that is the most normal looking ship I have ever seen in any Tales game, its like they took a small transport with Radar from the real world and just modelled that into the game. It feels almost surreal to look at something so normal that doesn't fit the fantasy tech so far

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MechaX posted:

Currently stuck on a boss in the fourth region and I just… feel like something is entirely off with how this game balances its boss fights. You don’t get nearly enough gald to just stock up on all items unless you grind fish, a lot of equipment uses materials for enemies I haven’t even seen yet and I take massive damage, and the game seems to think I get certain boost abilities way more than I actually do, making some boss phases get completely unmanageable real quick

If its the berserker boss who summons adds when it gets low on health 100% the game does not seem to understand how long it takes boost attacks to actually charge, even with max boost charge buffs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Normally I'm like whatever on anime but area 4 is some horrendous poo poo writing. Big war crime forgiveness melodrama for no reason.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tae posted:

Normally I'm like whatever on anime but area 4 is some horrendous poo poo writing. Big war crime forgiveness melodrama for no reason.

He just didn't want her to live on nothing but vengeful rage it was fine in the context of watching all those people gloop themselves

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tae posted:

Ballsack: "lmao eat poo poo rear end in a top hat, this for all the Dahnans you've killed!"
Ganabelt: "lmao eat poo poo rear end in a top hat, this is for all the Dahnans you've killed!"
Almeidrea: :qq: "NO, REVENGE IS WRONG! SHE MUST FACE JUSTICE FOR HER CRIMES, NOT BE STRUCK DOWN IN HATE" :qq:

:jerkbag:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JBP posted:

He just didn't want her to live on nothing but vengeful rage it was fine in the context of watching all those people gloop themselves

If anything it makes less sense, they hadn't even beaten her yet

That scene earned Law a forever benching and now I mentally remove him from all conversations and cutscenes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barudak posted:

If anything it makes less sense, they hadn't even beaten her yet

That scene earned Law a forever benching and now I mentally remove him from all conversations and cutscenes.

Makes sense to me. People change. He used to be a piece of poo poo. Slicked back hair. Sloppy steaks at the campfire.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

God, I'm so incredibly bad at doing perfect dodges in this. I got to the combat arena thing and have been doing it with Alphen and Law and I can't for the life of me successfully do these dodges, even when there are only a couple enemies. It seems virtually impossible for most non-humanoid enemies, and even for the humanoids I eat poo poo like 3/4 of the time, despite my best efforts. The enemies don't seem to have much in the way of tells usually, so it seems like you need to have super-human reflexes (and also not be in the middle of any combos).

edit: I'm actually doing okay in the fights (on Normal; I recently beat some dragon-ish boss monster in Area 3 that randomly assaulted my group and only had to use one CP-refill item), but I still want to get the dodging working because it looks cool and I feel like I'm just cheesing things when I just run around in circles and pop in occasionally to hit stuff. But even practicing doesn't seem to help. It seems like a complete toss-up as to whether it works, without any clear rhyme or reason to it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 14, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I unlocked fishing and it's really fun so I'm probably not going to be progressing the main plot anytime soon

gently caress fishing minigames.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The difficulty in this game is definitely all over the place. I can coast through exploration and random encounters just fine on Moderate but bosses are just nukes with massive HP bars for no reason most of the time and I end up dropping all the way down to Story for them. It's rather jarring since past Tales games have had good difficulty settings from my memory.

The difficulty issue compounds with gald being scarce as hell so you can never really stockpile resources as much as you'd want.

Anyways I'm still enjoying the game anyways, taking it slow as I bounce around with other games. I've been enjoying playing Dohalim a good deal, he's got a versatile range for a melee character and really good dodges too. I never did give Shionne a huge amount of play though and she seems to have a ton of poo poo at her disposal so I wanna give her a go too. I was the weirdo that loved piloting Natalia back in Abyss so having a ranged character with more of an actual kit is probably real good.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
after all my complaining about the 1/2 bosses, i will say in area 3 i had no trouble. all three bosses went down pretty smooth, especially enjoyed the weird plant monster. i think having a full roster of 4 party members really smooths out some of the issues with having to tank way more stuff at once than you want to while also doing damage

i kinda reckon i'm just going to stay as the main guy as my controlled character all game. might switch to one of the other melee ones at least, but playing shionne seems way too hard and limiting if you have to actively heal (especially in bosses, its less of an issue in other fights)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Tae posted:

I probably would have preferred Rinwell to go batshit crazy at the boss to the point it was hurting herself through magic and Law coming in and going "yo you need to loving chill the gently caress out".

Would have been narratively better to make sure revenge doesn't come at the cost of self harm or something and looking to the future ahead that way.

It def was a loving weird moment cause of the timing of it too. She just loving melted people and absorbed their essence.

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 14, 2021

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I finally got to the opening in-game; drat that was a great moment.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kagrenac posted:

I've been able to catch every fish without the proper lure. As far as I can tell they just make it easier to attract that fish and probably help make the fish you want show up.

Air Thrust is a great general purpose spell and Shooting Star is the big spell I charge up for most of the time. Her normal attacks are awkward and not very useful and most of her air attacks I've unlocked are hard to hit with with the exception of Subzero Confinement and Celestial Hammer.

Combos are how you turn your buffs all-party and cast your big spells before you unlock them or don't have enough time for the full cast.
Your base spells can be combined with themselves for up to twice for different results and are quick to cast.

Thunder Blade-> Holy Lance->Divine Saber
Air Thrust->Cross Blade->Cyclone
Spread->Freeze Lancer->Tidal Wave

There are also some mixed spells I've found that you get by having 1 art stored and casting the other.
Cross Blade+Spread is Malstorm, and is accessible right from the start by storing 2 copies of Air Thrust then casting Spread.
Freeze Lancer+Holy Lance is Shooting Star and is accessible as soon as you get 1 of those 2 arts.

What is the maximum amount of spell storage you can do? I think the big thing with Rinwell is realizing you can stock more than 1 at a time since i don't think the tutorial mentions how many can be saved up at a time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol I beat the big bad boss in area 5

Is it over?

no it's only beginning.

*anime music plays, anime episode musical intro begins*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edit: Game is well designed and good, this wrong information defeated by Quality of Life at Bandai Namco

Barudak fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 14, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Shame Boy posted:

What is the maximum amount of spell storage you can do? I think the big thing with Rinwell is realizing you can stock more than 1 at a time since i don't think the tutorial mentions how many can be saved up at a time.

You can only stock 1 specific spell at a time (ie. Spread or Air Thrust) but it can stack up to 2 times. If it helps you can think of it as a level system of sorts. Spread, Air Thrust, & Thunder Blade are all Level 1. So say you stock Spread and then normal cast Spread again. You get 1 + 1, so you cast the level 2 water spell Freeze Lancer. Going further if you stock Spread twice (1 + 1 = 2) that counts as you having Freeze Lancer stocked. So if you either use a normal attack and hold R1 or cast a different unrelated spell you'll automatically release Freeze Lancer in addition to the other action. If you were to cast Spread though you'll get a Level 3 spell (2 + 1) and throw out Tidal Wave. There are special combinations though as was mentioned, like stocking 2 Air Thrust and then casting Spread resulting in Maelstrom.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

The Shame Boy posted:

You can only have 1 spell stored, but the spell you have stored changes depending on what you combine it with. If you store then cast the same spell you will cast the magic charge spell listed in the description. If you instead store it twice to combine it you will have the magic charge spell stored in your book.

As an example if you store Thunder Blade twice you will have Holy Lance stored. If you store Holy Lance and Thunder Blade you will have Divine Saber stored. Storing Thunder Blade 3 times will first create Holy Lance then combine with the 3rd copy for Divine Saber.

The big thing with Rinwell is that she is a lot better once you have low cooldown boost skills to keep your combo up and give you effectively infinite AG. I swapped to maining her after the 4th lord and went from taking multiple tries for every boss on hard to beating them first try and taking big chunks out of their hp with boost breaks and chain casting big spells.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Haha I'm loving Kisara now. The reasonable person stuck with a bunch of morons.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

Warning, if you do not get Owl #26 who lives on the boat dungeon in Zone 4, it is lost forever. This is the only permanent missable but it locks you out of so much stuff it is crazy.

I saw someone saying that owl washes ashore in Thistlym if you miss it in the dungeon.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Staltran posted:

I saw someone saying that owl washes ashore in Thistlym if you miss it in the dungeon.

Looks like this is correct, i've seen screenshots of the owl washed on shore

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm not reading this thread for spoilers and I won't read replies to this post, just know that I'm 8 hours in and having a wonderful time with this ragtag crew. Big arms dad left us in the cold to fend for ourselves!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Staltran posted:

Fuckin radical! I'll edit my post

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

personally, i think murder is bad

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Barudak posted:

Not really. Leveling is kind of slow in the game as titles and equipment provide a lot of your stat bonuses.

In the third city and after the third city finishes a bevvy of sidequests will open up and you'll get a lot of titles and SP, so the game opens a little as well to mop up stuff you may have had to leave behind.

Bergeron gives quest; defeat a level 21 zeugle. Oh wow, you beat it, have another quest to beat... a level 14 zeugel. Bergeron, you ok?

Ah okay cool, I've been ignoring a lot of the side quests because they seemed pretty boring which might be why my party seems so weak.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
So I'm exclusively controlling Alvin, which skills benefit the AI in controlling the other characters? I've seen them go into overdrive mode and also use unlocked artes, do AG up by 1 skills benefit the AI?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This game doesn't have multiplayer so I'm not positive on this, but in past tales games AI party members operated under the exact same rules as if someone was controlling them, so most everything that would benefit a player would benefit them. Near as I can tell, it's the same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

ColdIronsBound posted:

So I'm exclusively controlling Alvin, which skills benefit the AI in controlling the other characters? I've seen them go into overdrive mode and also use unlocked artes, do AG up by 1 skills benefit the AI?

I see you're making the same mistake i still occasional make by calling Alphen either Alvin or Alvis.

Too many A-boys in JRPGS!