Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

for example, the discourse on labor rights on weibo is the kind of stuff twitter will outright ban you for as well as american news media painting said people as terrorists

Got some examples of that? Sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

Got some examples of that? Sounds interesting.
i've only got hearsay from people who do actually have weibo accounts (which is basically a brick wall for people like me who can only know the shittiest lingua franca in existence) but apparently they have people screaming thinly veiled threats at bosses that committed wage theft with absolutely no moderation of such (you will lose your twitter account doing this there), as well as labor organizing (that the government doesn't do anything against because it's generally in favor of it), compare to the US where people have to do it largely anonymously if they don't have backing from a major organization because doing that under your real name will get you and scores of other people fired without incident

what they don't seem to do is go as far as disclaimer-in-minecraft threats, because that sort of thing is generally against the law everywhere

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Sep 14, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Looking forward to the new Hollywood Blacklist. Except instead of suspected communists and LGBTQ people, it's suspected communists and anyone who knows at least four Mandarin words.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Atrocious Joe posted:

Looking forward to the new Hollywood Blacklist. Except instead of suspected communists and LGBTQ people, it's suspected communists and anyone who knows at least four Mandarin words.

and also lgbtq people, so im hosed, i know like. five words in mandarin.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ughhhh posted:

Anyone read chuang? It was brought up as a possible reading for a group I am in and was wondering what people think about it. Most of their journals are ridiculously long, so it's probably just gonna be excerpts.

they seem a lot like lausanhk, redwashed anti-china stuff

https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1367110558500151302

their twitter feed also has a major chip on their shoulder about tankies and the western left

https://twitter.com/chuangcn/status/1436041814310473733

so personally i'd take anything that comes from that with skepticism. on the other hand if you too hate the evil tankies, it might be up your alley

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lol

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Sep 14, 2021

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zlj517/status/1433206142591717378

Chinese implementation of artificial intelligence is pretty neat ngl.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Danann posted:

hail

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the left has a tankie problem - there aren't enough of them!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danann posted:

cool, a depiction of this thread going through western china news

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
chairman cena. now i know what it must have felt like to have been one of those students who caught a glimpse of chairman mao at the gate to the forbidden city

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

chairman cena. now i know what it must have felt like to have been one of those students who caught a glimpse of chairman mao at the gate to the forbidden city

You can never see Chairman Cena.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hot witch divorcee posted:

all according to plan

whats the chinese word for keikaku

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
計画 keikaku
計畫 Jì huà (trad)
计画 Jì huà (simp)
計劃 gyehoeg (계획)

Literally the same with diff levels of simplification lol

Edit: korean I just translated so dunno if exactly right but lets assume

LimburgLimbo has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Sep 14, 2021

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

US Box Office has been steadily declining, with the revenue gap being replaced by Chinese theaters. A modern Hollywood blacklist against communism, China or Mandarin would crater the industry (which would be a good thing).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Brian Hioe is a NED guy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NED guys getting scared about the Monthly Review is extremely funny.

It's like all the people online who have entire personas and publications devoted to hating Qiao Collective. That article also attacks them at length.

Most self-identified leftists in the US haven't heard of either. It's just policing even minor media that steps out of line when it comes to talking about China.

Which is extra farcical considering mass entertainment media doesn't criticize China either. At least not yet.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Funny novel concept. You know how old discussion of mainland invasion of Taiwan has the argument of "Taiwan island doesn't have leg, mainland doesn't need to win the first land invasion, they can keep trying. " Well some Taiwanese autbor actual has answer to the argument. Yeah Taiwan island actual has leg and it move to South of Florida! alrighty then!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bush was a chinese asset the whole time?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

some of the writers for these things are openly gay men in china, so i can't imagine they'd be all that bent about characters actually being gay if they're allowing those writers into show business

I really don’t know about China, but gay, trans, and gender nonconforming performers and artists were prominent and celebrated in 20th century Turkey long before any semblance of acceptance within broader society. It’s still not there.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Funny novel concept. You know how old discussion of mainland invasion of Taiwan has the argument of "Taiwan island doesn't have leg, mainland doesn't need to win the first land invasion, they can keep trying. " Well some Taiwanese autbor actual has answer to the argument. Yeah Taiwan island actual has leg and it move to South of Florida! alrighty then!

I'm trying to figure out if the scenario is the islands physically switch spots, or it's only the people in them. Different island sizes with very different population density...

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The Leftovers But With Communism

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

the left has a tankie problem - there aren't enough of them!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/KianSharifi/status/1437500153120894981?s=19

Hmm. Relations between Russia and Iran have been growing closer these last ten years. Iran has signed a free trade deal with the Russian-led Eurasian Economic Union. Iran and Russia have coordinated with each other in Syria. They are both under heavy US sanctions. Yet Russia can't provide the same amount of investment as China can, so I wonder what the specifics would be.

Here's the thread for non-Twitter goons:

quote:

This one seems to have gone under the radar: The Iranian parliament's Research Centre last week released a 40-page report that explored the possibility of a "long-term strategic agreement" with Russia.

Long story short: it said Iran should go for it.

bit.ly/3tARYB4 Image
The RC said a strategic deal with Russia could become a "turning point" in relations between Tehran and Moscow. It argued that there were enough "motivators and drivers" to strike a long-term deal. Image

Among the incentives for a deal with Russia are "challenging the policies of Western countries" & "reducing the impact of sanctions" on both nations.

With an implicit reference to Russia's involvement in Syria, it said a deal could "consolidate" Tehran & Moscow's "achievements". Image

Wary of negative public reaction, particularly after the announcement of the 25-year strategic partnership with China last year, the RC said Iran should take measures to lay the groundwork for a similar deal with Russia. Image

It alleged that Iran's "enemies" would engage in "psyops" to rile up people against a deal with Russia. As such, it said it would be "necessary... to raise public awareness in advance". Image
The RC, however, expressed concern that Saudi Arabia and Israel could use their relations with Russia to derail a deal with Iran.

Among other things, it said Tehran's weak economic ties with Moscow could pose a challenge.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

I really don’t know about China, but gay, trans, and gender nonconforming performers and artists were prominent and celebrated in 20th century Turkey long before any semblance of acceptance within broader society. It’s still not there.

Zeki Muren was just fashionable, I don't know what you're talkin bout man.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PhilippineStar/status/1437729867592728584

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/japan-warns-citizens-possible-attack-092625335.html

quote:

The advisory was met with puzzlement in several of those nations, which said they had no knowledge of such a threat, or details from Japan as to the source of its information.

Tanee Sangrat, spokesman for Thailand's Foreign Ministry, said Japan had not revealed the origin of the warning and that the Japanese Embassy had no further details other than to say it was “not specific to Thailand.”

Thai security agencies have no information of their own about a possible threat, said deputy police spokesman Kissana Pathanacharoen.

Similarly, the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs said it was not aware of any information about an elevated threat level, while Indonesian Foreign Ministry spokesman Teuku Faizasyah denied that any warning was even sent to Japanese citizens there.

Malaysian police also have not received any information or detected any security threats, national police chief Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani said.

In the short advisory, Japan urged its citizens to pay close attention to local news and information and use caution "for the time being,” but did not give a specific timeframe or other details.

Japan's Foreign Ministry refused to provide the source of the information or say whether it was shared with other countries.

It said the advisory had been sent to its embassies in the countries concerned to be distributed to Japanese citizens.

what the gently caress?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
So much blurry Uyghur satellite imagery energy

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1egrjMoD8

Pretty cool video of 15 buildings in Kunming getting demolished

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 13:48 on Sep 14, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Red and Black posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1egrjMoD8

Pretty cool video of 15 buildings in Kunming getting demolished

well according to my wife some company built some buildings to make money, but they were extremely lovely and nobody used them, so they're destroying them so something useful could be built there. not really that different from an implosion in the west.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i only just learned about this ads existence in my chinese economic development class because apparently its like a meme on the chinese internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw

wtf how is this real

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mirello posted:

well according to my wife some company built some buildings to make money, but they were extremely lovely and nobody used them, so they're destroying them so something useful could be built there. not really that different from an implosion in the west.

These are (were) pre-sold underfunded building projects. They probably sold 30-40% unfinished apartments to the buyers, the rest of the money couldn't be secured because either the developer never got the proper paper, or the official they bribed got arrested, or some scammy middleman ran off with the money. Anyway poo poo happened and they because untouchable black boxes and none of the new officials want to touch them. The unfinished buildings usually sit for 10 years or longer until city step it and rebuild them.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

wtf how is this real

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

can't work an iron

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It would be funnier if Deng was asking that question.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Whole chowing down on pizza hut.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Well that sucks, but to be expected of English language sources I guess. Any suggestion of better sources for reading from ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011