Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

D-Pad posted:

I wasn't reading the thread at the time this came out but was it ever discussed in here? Christopher Mellon tweeted about it when it first dropped:

https://www.uaptheory.com/

that made the rounds a while ago, yea

here’s what our boy’s up to these days:

https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1425163704673443847?s=20

back when the site first popped up i showed it to some physicists who weren’t particularly impressed or even convinced it was necessarily written by a physicist. there isn’t much math or meat to the theory on his site, but it’s interesting

someone on reddit doxxed him a while back with a reasonable degree of certainty and while i won’t give details for obvious reasons he appears to truly have a degree in physics but his career is related to SEO, so he’s a ‘physicist’ like NDT

he seems to be highly credulous as a result of hubris, an easy mark for the right con, but he’s not totally stupid and he seemingly actually does have the relevant education he claims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

oh man, another gratitude convert. soon youll have to rename this the Graciousness thread

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

D-Pad posted:

I wasn't reading the thread at the time this came out but was it ever discussed in here? Christopher Mellon tweeted about it when it first dropped:

https://www.uaptheory.com/

yeah it was and unfortunately the guy is a total nutto crank. ah well better rev up :tinylue: again

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Objurium posted:

One thing that bothers me a bunch working back through the OSS podcast abduction cases is the incredible prominence of bipedal humanoids when the abductee actually encounters the creatures presumably in control of the craft.

Yyyep

Sidenote my mom did go to Marfa and saw the lights and insists they weren't headlights

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Marfa deez

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

quote:

In recent years, beginning with the work of Maldacena (in this paper), we are starting to see how space works at the quantum level. Since 2009, we understand that space turns out to be a network of quantum bits that are all entangled with each other (here’s a section of a program where this is explained).

These quantum bits correspond to the points of the space they describe, and the connection of all the points in space with each other is actually the entanglement between the quantum bits. So space and entangled quantum information is the same thing. The amount of entanglement of two bits determines how close their corresponding spatial points are. More entanglement = close. Less entanglement = far away. We thus understand what space is, what distances in that space are, and finally what motion really is. Motions are changes in the amount of entanglement of a quantum bit with all the others.

The way he writes these conjectures as though they are established, proven truths is quite misleading. This is rank speculation. I'm sympathetic to it, but he is misrepresenting the state of the field today. Not everyone buys into ER = EPR.

quote:

If we had this theory finished already, we would be able to exploit those new effects and manipulate spacetime and its curvature quantum mechanically.

This does not follow, by a long shot. It is likely that when we come to understand quantum gravity, the energy / length scales involved will be prohibitively expensive to probe in a lab / earth setting.

Just because we moved from Newtonian gravity to general relativity does not mean we suddenly gained the ability to warp spacetime and manipulate gravity. Gravity effects scale as G/c^4 in energy, and quantum corrections to this are unlikely to make them more accessible, let alone accessible near room temperatures.

To be clear, I *do* hold out hope that this sort of statement is correct. Breakthroughs into new paradigms in physics don't necessarily have to follow our established understanding of trends and viabilities. I posted earlier in this thread about Einstein-Cartain theory and Ning Li's spin-based QGR idea, for example. I know I'm far from an expert and I hope I'm wrong here. But if there are low-energy gravity effects lurking about, they've been sneakily hidden for some time (so was superconductivity, you could argue).

Anyway the rest of the site is like this. There's not much new brought to the table here except the prediction of gravitational lensing around UAPs. If the gravitational effects are large enough to zip a F-16 sized tic-tac around at extreme speeds / accelerations, one would naively expect the lensing to be quite extreme.

quote:

The energy output of UAPs should be significant, causing the air to heat up and have a notable thermal signature

This is an understatement. Again, by our current understanding, if something is manipulating gravity effects for propulsion in the atmosphere, it would be closer to a nuclear bomb going off than anything else. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive#Damaging_effect_on_destination

quote:

It uses the as yet unknown link between electromagnetism and the curvature of spacetime to influence the latter.

We have now left respectable speculation and are in the realm of handwaving and wishing. The connection between EM and gravity is already known (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_stress%E2%80%93energy_tensor) and as with everything gravity related, it is weak as poo poo.

quote:

That is, the electromagnetic interaction is used to influence the spatial entanglement network and introduce curvature, thus enabling geodesic motion.

This is pure technobabble, sounds like the flash TV show.

quote:

Every point in space is a quantum bit and the continuous space is due to the entanglement between those bits.

He keeps writing things like this, which makes me think he never properly digested the lessons of general relativity, i.e. there are no "points in space" in any meaningful sense. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_argument#Einstein%27s_resolution

quote:

This means that if we were to look at this reactor, it would appear to us as though it made no entropy at all but a gravitational field would come out. This is because the gravitational field is (related to) the entropy.

Even if entropic gravity is correct (this is by no means established today) he's still overstating his case here and doesn't seem to properly understand the thermodynamics involved. There is no reason why the entropy transfer would have to be at the ideal limit as he states here.

quote:

2013 Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Using this footage to prove your theories is quite suspect, because there's nothing really in the footage that indicates this is anything other than a balloon. Interpreting imaging artifacts as quantum gravity effects is a serious leap.

Etc. etc. I estimate this guy has an undergrad degree in physics or electrical engineering.

edit: I will state one more time for the record that I hope I am wrong, and that further understanding of quantum gravity pans out in unexpected directions leading to accessible effects, instead of just being perturbations on the order of gravitons. In particular I am sympathetic to the entanglement picture of gravity but a lot of work still needs to be done here before it becomes a proper theory, and it would be very upsetting to a lot of current directions in theoretical physics.

Rickshaw has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Sep 14, 2021

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

:tbear::tinylue:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hooplah posted:

I’m going to post small lue.

:tinylue:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Brock Samson posted:

now that's a tic tac i'd like to zoom into my mouth at unexplainable speeds

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

wheres micky west???

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Rickshaw posted:

The way he writes these conjectures as though they are established, proven truths is quite misleading. This is rank speculation. I'm sympathetic to it, but he is misrepresenting the state of the field today. Not everyone buys into ER = EPR.

This does not follow, by a long shot. It is likely that when we come to understand quantum gravity, the energy / length scales involved will be prohibitively expensive to probe in a lab / earth setting.

Just because we moved from Newtonian gravity to general relativity does not mean we suddenly gained the ability to warp spacetime and manipulate gravity. Gravity effects scale as G/c^4 in energy, and quantum corrections to this are unlikely to make them more accessible, let alone accessible near room temperatures.

To be clear, I *do* hold out hope that this sort of statement is correct. Breakthroughs into new paradigms in physics don't necessarily have to follow our established understanding of trends and viabilities. I posted earlier in this thread about Einstein-Cartain theory and Ning Li's spin-based QGR idea, for example. I know I'm far from an expert and I hope I'm wrong here. But if there are low-energy gravity effects lurking about, they've been sneakily hidden for some time (so was superconductivity, you could argue).

Anyway the rest of the site is like this. There's not much new brought to the table here except the prediction of gravitational lensing around UAPs. If the gravitational effects are large enough to zip a F-16 sized tic-tac around at extreme speeds / accelerations, one would naively expect the lensing to be quite extreme.

This is an understatement. Again, by our current understanding, if something is manipulating gravity effects for propulsion in the atmosphere, it would be closer to a nuclear bomb going off than anything else. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive#Damaging_effect_on_destination

We have now left respectable speculation and are in the realm of handwaving and wishing. The connection between EM and gravity is already known (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_stress%E2%80%93energy_tensor) and as with everything gravity related, it is weak as poo poo.

This is pure technobabble, sounds like the flash TV show.

He keeps writing things like this, which makes me think he never properly digested the lessons of general relativity, i.e. there are no "points in space" in any meaningful sense. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_argument#Einstein%27s_resolution

Even if entropic gravity is correct (this is by no means established today) he's still overstating his case here and doesn't seem to properly understand the thermodynamics involved. There is no reason why the entropy transfer would have to be at the ideal limit as he states here.

Using this footage to prove your theories is quite suspect, because there's nothing really in the footage that indicates this is anything other than a balloon. Interpreting imaging artifacts as quantum gravity effects is a serious leap.

Etc. etc. I estimate this guy has an undergrad degree in physics or electrical engineering.

edit: I will state one more time for the record that I hope I am wrong, and that further understanding of quantum gravity pans out in unexpected directions leading to accessible effects, instead of just being perturbations on the order of gravitons. In particular I am sympathetic to the entanglement picture of gravity but a lot of work still needs to be done here before it becomes a proper theory, and it would be very upsetting to a lot of current directions in theoretical physics.

cool post - reading some of those things my thoughts are this doesn't sound like anything i'd ever heard, but obviously i'm not an actual physicist so we're talking about just undergrad level physics that i have so i'm not gonna call them out.

i'm generally in the boat of i want to believe, but i rarely trust people who say they have evidence of ET - its all right i'll keep reading their poo poo and hoping against hope

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Objurium posted:

One thing that bothers me a bunch working back through the OSS podcast abduction cases is the incredible prominence of bipedal humanoids when the abductee actually encounters the creatures presumably in control of the craft.

It seems supremely strange and improbable to me that anything like a hominid would arise organically on another fertile planet that then produces a technological society that travels the cosmos to wind up interacting with a less technically capable primate. If any of the abduction cases are accurate as recounted and not just the CIA dosing a town with LSD or whatever, I feel like it almost becomes way more probable that the entities involved are extra dimensional homies and not interstellar ones, but maybe at a certain point that's a distinction that doesn't matter.
Descriptions of sightings and other paranormal encounters have always tracked with the culture of the time.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Descriptions of sightings and other paranormal encounters have always tracked with the culture of the time.

if youd said this about american ufos youd be pretty correct but you cast the net too wide

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

Yeah, the more one reads about contact or abduction encounters, the more clear it becomes that what is observed is inherently interpreted in some way by the minds of the observers to a much greater degree than we normally experience.

That is, we understand that when we remember events, smaller (and sometimes bigger) details can be misremembered. The classic example being witnesses to a hit and run remembering the car being different colors or a different make and model, or misremembering what someone was wearing at an event, that sort of thing.

But with abduction cases, and contactee cases more generally, what someone sees even in the moment appears to be heavily influenced by the experiencer's expectations and background. The same being appearing to one person might be a classic Nordic and to another resemble a Gray. There's also reports that whatever is behind the event can manipulate this.

I can't find the case now and I'm phoneposting, but maybe someone else remembers it, but someone had a series of encounters with a standard "space brother", big brain, almond eyes, that sort of thing, but over time began to have an awareness that he wasn't seeing their true form. Eventually he asks this generally human looking alien what they really look like and after a bit of persuasion, he agreed to show him. The "true" form was a mantis-like creature, much different in size that seemed to somehow intrinsically freak the guy out, so he shifted back.

And that's without getting into the whole "screen memory" thing, which is separate from what I'm talking about.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

I can't find the case now and I'm phoneposting, but maybe someone else remembers it, but someone had a series of encounters with a standard "space brother", big brain, almond eyes, that sort of thing, but over time began to have an awareness that he wasn't seeing their true form. Eventually he asks this generally human looking alien what they really look like and after a bit of persuasion, he agreed to show him. The "true" form was a mantis-like creature, much different in size that seemed to somehow intrinsically freak the guy out, so he shifted back.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Bought Avi Loeb's book "Extraterrestial" about his hypothesis that Oumuamua was actually an artificial object and not an extremely weird comet, and it's pretty good! That thing was weird as gently caress.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Azathoth posted:

Can't find much info on mantis aliens, I would like to read more. Seems cool as hell. I like thri-kreen. Come and meet me mantis aliens, lets be friends.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

if youd said this about american ufos youd be pretty correct but you cast the net too wide
I'm not just talking about American UFO sightings. I'm talking about everything from ancient history to modern day across the world. We're no more immune to delusion and mass hysteria than any other humans were thousands of years ago.

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUTq0pJVpE

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I think the North Canol Road Abduction creatures were described as either mantids or grasshopper-esque

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I'm not just talking about American UFO sightings. I'm talking about everything from ancient history to modern day across the world. We're no more immune to delusion and mass hysteria than any other humans were thousands of years ago.

thats not the same thing you said last time. at all. but whatever keep on truckin.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

"All non-normative waking experience is reducible to culture specific delusion." is just a super take for this thread.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

and imagine, in this modern age, for the very first time we're roping objects into our delusions - our radars and infrared sensors are also having a mass delusion! fascinating

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Wheeee posted:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/4350/text

here’s excited smug Lue talking about it yesterday

https://youtu.be/COsPz68819k

https://mobile.twitter.com/IUFOC/status/1436404434121084931

Lue concurs, the DHS leaked videos are legit UAPs following analysis

Just watched smug :tinylue: was pretty great.

What is this DHS video?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that haircut is amazing. it’s a high and tight but styled like an 11 year old boy

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Jazerus posted:

and imagine, in this modern age, for the very first time we're roping objects into our delusions - our radars and infrared sensors are also having a mass delusion! fascinating

I think this is actually the most useful lens to view this through. Somehow our shared delusions of things that defy expectation are causing our devices to begin to corroborate those same delusions, in defiance of expected reality.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A MIRACLE posted:

that haircut is amazing. it’s a high and tight but styled like an 11 year old boy

*checks to see if I left my webcam on*

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sextro posted:

I think this is actually the most useful lens to view this through. Somehow our shared delusions of things that defy expectation are causing our devices to begin to corroborate those same delusions, in defiance of expected reality.

This would be so much weirder than alien birds

it would be cool

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
saw this in the covid thread:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/ministers-granted-border-exemptions-to-attend-urgent-meeting-in-canberra-20210915-p58rzn.html

i guess if you threaten to spill the beans enough, they will eventually let you into the club to keep you quiet.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

"gimme the tre gowdy" he said to the barber

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Barry Foster posted:

This would be so much weirder than alien birds

it would be cool

How would we ever figure it out?

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Bilirubin posted:

What is this DHS video?

Is this Dhs video the one with the indicators and writing stuff overlayed on it in green as if it's some sort of FLIR video? If so, the one thing i don't understand is how come none of the indicators or values actually change? It's just like a static overlay someone's added on top of a video.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Be specific about which incident you're trying to flippantly dismiss as bugs then.

I was merely saying that rod shaped things were recorded on video and it turned out they were bugs that's all, because the poster before me said something about sightings of things occurring throughout history.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rickshaw posted:

How would we ever figure it out?

by throwing off the shackles of empiricism

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Bilirubin posted:

What is this DHS video?

Apparently an unreleased 43 min hd video according to reddit. Not the other DHS video that has been out for a while.... a totally unseen video but out in the wild not officially leaked yet. Confirmed uap by some group I dont recall via video analysis.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

I'm on the unidentified ale and pilsner train tonight... choo choo

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

thats not the same thing you said last time. at all. but whatever keep on truckin.
I elaborated a bit in my response because when I said "encounters and other paranormal sightings," I meant everything from modern UFOs/aliens back to some guy hallucinating and thinking God was talking to him through a burning bush (if anything like that actually happened and wasn't flat-out made up).

"All non-normative waking experience is reducible to culture specific delusion." is just a super take for this thread.
Once you filter out the grift and fraud, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

A MIRACLE posted:

:tinylue: plops down in the chair, give me your tiniest guard on the sides & back