Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mors Rattus posted:

Spoilers: the past week or so has been very busy for her.

Because y’know it was Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur is coming up in mere days.

I don't think that's in doubt, but her "teaser trailer for a preview" angle seems uniquely odd, at least to a non-Twitter user like myself.

Why wouldn't you walt until you have time and post what you want to? Poor impulse control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Trying to get some people interested so it doesn't vanish within a day as so many stories do?

There could be any number of reasons, and it's probably several of them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

I don't think that's in doubt, but her "teaser trailer for a preview" angle seems uniquely odd, at least to a non-Twitter user like myself.

Why wouldn't you walt until you have time and post what you want to? Poor impulse control?

Because Twitter is really easy to comment with and then realize you don’t want to keep going right this second.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'd be surprised if she's not getting tagged and asked for contentcomment, too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like, twitter isn't a journalistic publication, it's a microblogging site. This seems to come up here semi-frequently, "why do people tweet this way" and I don't know that there's some sort of better answer than "because they feel like it."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

Not just a sex pest, an actual convicted child molester. Edward E. Kramer, a man whose sole contribution to the earth remains ensuring that Michael Richards is never more than "the second-worst Kramer."

I like it when Wikipedia doesn't pull punches or try to weasel out of telling things like they are

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

A lot of that stuff kept getting deleted which makes gathering the receipts a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I couldn't find the video where Ericsson insisted racism and sexism had to be in big parts of Dark Ages because all first-party White Wolf videos were wiped AFAIK.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I couldn't find the video where Ericsson insisted racism and sexism had to be in big parts of Dark Ages because all first-party White Wolf videos were wiped AFAIK.

At least we still have this: https://imagonem.org/2016/02/15/white-wolfs-lead-storyteller-there-will-be-a-release-in-2016/

quote:

Where did White Wolf “get it wrong” last time around? What are your least favorite parts of the IP?

Anything that smells of Fantasy. The attempt to create a deep mythology by linking the setting to Exalted was the worst choice ever. That was the last step in WoD’d death-march from being an artistic horror-IP to full on immature, escapist Urban Fantasy. The inability to deal with and integrate real-world events in the setting. If you can write about the Holocaust, you can write about 9/11. Fear is the death of creativity. The game was always best in the hands of storytellers who dared to place the story close to reality, often in their own cities, featuring real places and people.

And this: http://keepontheheathlands.com/2016/09/30/the-future-of-darkness-an-interview-with-white-wolf-publishing/

quote:

What, if any, less explored books, supplements, or ideas from the original game lines are you planning to bring back or explore deeper in the One World of Darkness?

Martin: There are many early books that deserve to be updated to contemporary times and get hooked into the development of the metaplot, a lot of great but underused ideas that popped up in fiction anthologies have also caught my eye. To name some personal impulses: ”Shoah: Charnel Houses of Europe” and ”G[censoring the slur]” (Should be called something like “Opre Roma!”) could use new editions in our age, as the horrors of the fear of the Other is again on the rise in Europe. I read a lot about the Ashirra and Middle Eastern WoD for obvious reasons. I think a lot of greatness is found in books like ”Love Beyond Death” and ”Ghouls – Fatal Addiction” and you’ll probably see us inspired by stories where the supernatural meets the mortal world a lot more. Also, Dark Ages of all kinds! Holy poo poo, there’s a lot of treasures there. I also love the first and second edition of Mummy…

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My favorite part of that video was him dismissively mocking the woman who asked the question, saying if she didn't want to be discriminated against in a historical setting she should just play a white man, and that women don't get "75% of their resource dots." before the MC physically removed Martin's microphone from his stand.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

My favorite part of that video was him dismissively mocking the woman who asked the question, saying if she didn't want to be discriminated against in a historical setting she should just play a white man, and that women don't get "75% of their resource dots." before the MC physically removed Martin's microphone from his stand.

Jesus. I don’t remember that, how did that not make bigger news?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Jesus. I don’t remember that, how did that not make bigger news?

It was buried in the middle of a poorly produced and recorded news conference during that weird vampire-con thing they did shortly after they got the license. It was around the same time he 'announced' opre roma and the 9/11 book.

Basically it wasn't bigger news because "Martin is a terrible public speaker and has garbage opinions" wasn't really news.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The comments in those interviews read like trolling. He made sure to name-drop all the books with the worst reputations for offensive content. I'm surprised he didn't specifically say he wanted to start seeing child-molesters and Neo-Nazis as Sample PCs again.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Shoah is actually the one book he name dropped that has a good reputation. It’s also literally unusable in any campaign I can think of, but it was well written.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

The comments in those interviews read like trolling. He made sure to name-drop all the books with the worst reputations for offensive content. I'm surprised he didn't specifically say he wanted to start seeing child-molesters and Neo-Nazis as Sample PCs again.

uh................

Was this an actual thing?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Can we just take a moment to reflect on the loving bizarre relationship tabletop games and horror-fantasy has had with the Romani people? Like "The Big Book of Romani Stereotypes I'm Not Going to Call By Name Because It's a Slur" is not only noteworthy because of how terrible the content is, but also for how relatively early in the lifecycle of WoD it was published. Like, they introduced racist Roma stereotypes into their urban dark fantasy game before they introduced Frankenstein's Monsters and Vampire Hunters.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm surprised he didn't specifically say he wanted to start seeing child-molesters [ . . . ] as Sample PCs again.

So about the pregen characters for the playtest adventure for V5...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

So about the pregen characters for the playtest adventure for V5...

OH YEAH

HER

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GreenMetalSun posted:

uh................

Technically speaking I believe it was a Hunter example PC who used to be a racist skinhead and now was a vampire hunting skinhead, possibly still racist.

So…yes.

Also, the Get of Fenris included actual for real Nazis, and then there was Totentanz, the trans Nazi vampire that worked with Goebbels.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

GreenMetalSun posted:

If you go through e.g. the Vampire clanbooks, you will absolutely see sample PCs with concepts like Pedophile Schoolmaster, Neo-Nazi Skinhead, Serial Killer, Pro-Confederate Historian, and Autistic Zoophile with Untreated Brucellosis.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Okay, I won't just drop that teaser in and go. I lack that kind of mercy.

The pregen characters for playtest adventure The Last Night were middle-management vampire fucks who were getting their comeuppance when the Second Inquisition something-something their domain and they had to flee a raid after being stripped of their vampire assets. One of them "loves the young" (and the text is explicit that this is sexual) but as a way of coding things, these particular lines are placed around the line "a vampire who's only a few years old has an energy, a quality you can't get enough of." So vampires who haven't been dead for too long, is the charitable interpretation.

Except she's Ventrue and you get to her feeding restriction: "you only feed off children and very young teenagers."

So she drinks the blood of children and obsesses over sexually pursuing young vampires.

It's real fuckin' subtle.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 14, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
My experience with WoD as a whole is largely from an outsider's perspective (Urban fantasy isn't really my thing in general), but it seems to me a recurring thing underlying a lot of its more notable problems is the developers deciding they are grand auteurs making meaningful statements with their vampire tabletop game. Like, I don't want to denigrate either the urban fantasy genre or the medium of tabletop games as a whole, but there's a lot of topics that are not lent to being explored in these spaces and it feels like way too many of White Wolf's writers don't get that.

See also: Phil "Satyros" Brucato.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is why our heroes from that play test were the brotherhood of gay cosplaying vampire hunters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

KingKalamari posted:

Like, I don't want to denigrate either the urban fantasy genre or the medium of tabletop games as a whole, but there's a lot of topics that are not lent to being explored in these spaces and it feels like way too many of White Wolf's writers don't get that.
When people working in this genre try to be "meaningful," you usually get either the horrible edgelord poo poo you're talking about, or stuff like True Blood--where vampires are a metaphor for oppressed minorities, and also a validation of conspiracy theories about those same minorities. Whoops!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

uh................

oWoD was very bad. This isn't even the worst stuff I could find

(The only Black sample PC in the Ventrue handbook)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

When people working in this genre try to be "meaningful," you usually get either the horrible edgelord poo poo you're talking about, or stuff like True Blood--where vampires are a metaphor for oppressed minorities, and also a validation of conspiracy theories about those same minorities. Whoops!

These horrifying fear demons who literally need to break your soul to survive are stand ins for minorities actually!

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Gross.

I actually tried to google the infamous playtest character and kept finding Let's Plays that were like, 'Oh yeah, we had to completely rewrite the backstory of one of the sample characters.'

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Like, twitter isn't a journalistic publication, it's a microblogging site. This seems to come up here semi-frequently, "why do people tweet this way" and I don't know that there's some sort of better answer than "because they feel like it."

I'm probably old and hate Twitter, but it seems like it would take equal effort to say a thing with "details later" as to do this coy dance of "oh I'm going to say a thing later."

It's like the local news thing where they tease that It's poisonous and radioactive - and you're probably be feeding it to your children to make you stick around for after the commercials.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You're right, Twitter is specifically designed to facilitate the kind of bad conversation that you hate.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well you've had 18 hours to pop that popcorn. Time to sit back and enjoy.

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1437798231220658177?s=19

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

apparently she blocked me at some point, so that's kind of a bummer.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

midwifecrisis posted:

apparently she blocked me at some point, so that's kind of a bummer.
Basically - toxic work environment. Management thought employees should just be happy to work for Paizo and should never ask for anything.

Management refused to clean carpets or ducts that hadn't been cleaned in nearly a decade and which were causing health problems and got really resentful when she wouldn't stop until it was fixed.

Also Erik Mona had some weird theosophy poo poo with nazi symbols hanging in his office.

She's getting into the lack of support from management about harassment from fans.

e: And an acknowledgement that using mental illness as a plot device would probably be seen as really lovely within a few years so they wanted to milk it as much as they could, while they could, instead of just... stopping.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 14, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love the part where a higher up gets snippy with her because"they knew she was behind the vacuuming complaint" and her response was "yes, I signed the complaint"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I personally would have lead with OCCULT NAZI BULLSHIT IN THE WORKPLACE but we've established I'm not good at Twitter.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Well. That's...something all right.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

I personally would have lead with OCCULT NAZI BULLSHIT IN THE WORKPLACE but we've established I'm not good at Twitter.

It’s a little more complex than that. Said complexity is not, however, any loving reason to have that poo poo in your office.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Unrelated but industry related:

The cinematic Total War 3 Cathay reveal just dropped here. Cathay is Warhammer Fantasy's ancient China / pan-Asian analogue, and it seems likely that these forces will get figures with the Old World remake somewhere in the near future.

I'm white and no authority on representation, but this looks pretty ok to me. I'd be interested in what others have to say.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

dwarf74 posted:

:stonk:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The carpets filthy enough to break a vaccum cleaner was scarier than the occultism ngl

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Well it'd be hard to sell Mona as a giant racist shitbag as the lead-in. Instead of, you know, a completely oblivious white dude who doesn't realize how incredibly racist Theosophy is. It's the common denominator for both nazis AND Lovecraft and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

If you go through e.g. the Vampire clanbooks, you will absolutely see sample PCs with concepts like Pedophile Schoolmaster, Neo-Nazi Skinhead, Serial Killer, Pro-Confederate Historian, and Autistic Zoophile with Untreated Brucellosis.

Oh my god

Toph Bei Fong posted:

(The only Black sample PC in the Ventrue handbook)

OH MY GOD

dwarf74 posted:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1437830165258715142

Yeah that's a great business strategy that definitely hasn't bitten anyone in the rear end.