Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

pretty sure if we got rid of Java and Adobe products we'd eliminate a big chunk of computer problems and thats before we get to security poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Laserface posted:

pretty sure if we got rid of Java and Adobe products we'd eliminate a big chunk of computer problems and thats before we get to security poo poo like this.

I mean, the iPhone did.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ShoeFly posted:

Do you have any reason to think you'd be targeted for surveillance by a nation state? NSO Group's services don't come cheap.

No, of course not.

I did see a way to test to see if you're infected but it's a hassle using a PC. Maybe ITT, or secfuck either way I'm not a potential target.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you are someone who may potentially require security against state agencies, such as an environmental or human rights activist or leftist political organizer, you should be avoiding Apple entirely and running something like CalyxOS with no social media. If you want to keep using an iPhone and security is a concern turn off iCloud device backups and back up locally to your own computer, otherwise Apple holds the keys to your little data castle and will happily share them with law enforcement.

Apple has had industry leading surface level privacy protection against things like Facebook and provide a strong compromise between user convenience/features and privacy for most boring normies, but if you’re going to be doing dangerous things like trying to protect the environment or poor people you’re going to want to sacrifice some convenience and niceness for better security.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can you post some examples of Apple doing this?

I'm genuinely curious because governments still bitch about Apple not handing them data they want.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm genuinely curious because governments still bitch about Apple not handing them data they want.

law enforcement agencies and governments will bitch until they have an at-will one-click backdoor into anyone's accounts and devices, what they have to say is irrelevant in this context

https://www.apple.com/legal/transparency/pdf/requests-2019-H1-en.pdf

https://www.apple.com/legal/transparency/pdf/requests-2020-H1-en.pdf

https://www.apple.com/legal/transparency/

Apple cooperates with law enforcement and while many of their systems are designed such that they obfuscate or abstract personally identifiable information the company still holds the keys to your device backups and all the data within, and they hand this data out as required by government entities.

most of my shitposting is done on an iphone, apple is totally a less-bad company than something like samsung, but they are not your friend and should not be trusted if you are potentially a target of government interest

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Jose Oquendo posted:

p sure they'll give you anything you want from icloud. like, in the bakersfield shooting case they said specifically if they got the phone on wifi and let it back up they'd have been able to supply anything, iirc.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thank you. I’m perusing those PDFs and it’s very enlightening.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Fix It posted:

p sure they'll give you anything you want from icloud. like, in the bakersfield shooting case they said specifically if they got the phone on wifi and let it back up they'd have been able to supply anything, iirc.

Bakersfield shooting?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thank you. I’m perusing those PDFs and it’s very enlightening.

the tl;dr on privacy and security ime is that if your bogeyman is Facebook and you aren't savvy to loving around with software you'll be best served just rolling with an iphone, while if you're someone who stands a high chance of being specifically targeted it's time to buy a pixel phone and dive into the world of FOSS

Charles posted:

Bakersfield shooting?

probs means san bernadino

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wheeee posted:

L
probs means san bernadino

While they are several hundred miles apart they are essentially the same place so I understand getting them mixed up.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MarcusSA posted:

While they are several hundred miles apart they are essentially the same place so I understand getting them mixed up.

poo poo, yeah, meant san bernadino

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

💩💩💩 iOS 14.8 has dropped 💩💩💩

Security fixes, mostly having to do with PDF reading routines in CoreGraphics, bug in WebKit

More on this exploit. It’s loving bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/13/nso-group-iphones-apple-devices-hack-patch

The Israeli security firm that developed it claims they were only selling it to Law Enforcement agencies to track criminals but it’s believed governments were buying it to spy on journalists among other scenarios.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 14, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
There gonna be an event thread or should I just follow this one? Can’t listen to the video but I can sneak the forums pretty easily.

Edit: thanks friend

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 14, 2021

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Rolo posted:

There gonna be an event thread or should I just follow this one? Can’t listen to the video but I can sneak the forums pretty easily.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979392

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Love the new iPad mini design, and more touch ID devices is always a good thing.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

LegendaryFrog posted:

Love the new iPad mini design, and more touch ID devices is always a good thing.

I keep waiting for them to bring this to the iPhone.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Small White Dragon posted:

I keep waiting for them to bring this to the iPhone.

You would think this would be a slam dunk, especially with the pandemic. Power button touch ID.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The 14 will have behind-screen Touch ID I think

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vintimus Prime posted:

You would think this would be a slam dunk, especially with the pandemic. Power button touch ID.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp, more micro incremental updates. Keepin' my 11 Pro.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Guess I am keeping my 12 Pro Max for another year. That is about as boring of an upgrade cycle as I could imagine.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Interesting announcement of the iPhones 12S this year, will be patiently waiting to see what the iPhone 13 is like.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't really want a 13 mini but I'm terrified there won't be a 14 mini and the 13 mini only exists through obligation. Apple finally released an iPhone in the Correct Size and everybody slept on it apparently.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Curious as to what folks who are disappointed by this were expecting. Phones are a mature product now. Beyond faster processor, better camera, better screen, better battery, what else is there?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Protocol7 posted:

Interesting announcement of the iPhones 12S this year, will be patiently waiting to see what the iPhone 13 is like.

the most interesting thing about today’s reveal is the confirmation of my hunch that blue was going to become a Standard iPhone Color with red.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ok Comboomer posted:

the most interesting thing about today’s reveal is the confirmation of my hunch that blue was going to become a Standard iPhone Color with red.

As a current owner of the Blue iPhone 12 I’m not complaining. That new pro blue is :allears:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Curious as to what folks who are disappointed by this were expecting. Phones are a mature product now. Beyond faster processor, better camera, better screen, better battery, what else is there?

Yeah pretty much.

I'll get one because my current battery is dying.

120hz is the only improvement that interests me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gimme that Sierra Blue, Tim

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintimus Prime posted:

FaceID can bypass you wearing a mask already

just buy an Apple Watch - Tim, probably

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zero One posted:

Yeah pretty much.

I'll get one because my current battery is dying.

120hz is the only improvement that interests me.
I have a 12 Pro Max that I'm perfectly happy with and 120hz is the only improvement that interests me too. I don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot by skipping getting a new phone this year.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

As an XS user I was super hyped going into this to get a pro, now im not sure what to get, maybe just a watch so i can unlock my slow-rear end phone without moving my mask?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

As a current owner of the Blue iPhone 12 I’m not complaining. That new pro blue is :allears:

Nah my turquoise Pro 12 remains superior, and I always had a soft spot for the 12’s dark blue

But my hunch was that the blues were probably the most popular color option, by far, after white/black

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

As an XS user I was super hyped going into this to get a pro, now im not sure what to get, maybe just a watch so i can unlock my slow-rear end phone without moving my mask?

get a 12 or 12 Pro. Good deals/refurbs to be had. P much everything the 13 does that you would care about, minus the screen getting a bit brighter and the battery running an hour longer

better shades of blue

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Does Apple make the most powerful phone CPUs?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
probably gonna upgrade, my iphone 6 is actively dying lol so I've probably hit that 'point of obsolescence' so I'm gonna have to upgrade, I'll get a 13 pro so that will last me a while.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does Apple make the most powerful phone CPUs?

by like an order of magnitude, yeah

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I'd just like to express my disappointment with everyone who didn't buy a green 11 Pro so that it became standard - we could have had a green phone + watch year.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Kerbtree posted:

I'd just like to express my disappointment with everyone who didn't buy a green 11 Pro so that it became standard - we could have had a green phone + watch year.

Agreed.

At least they brought back green cases this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Is there some law that an Apple device can't have both FaceID and TouchID in one? Since it doesn't look like masks are going anywhere anytime soon, I'd gladly give up every other upgrade to have loving TouchID again.