Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
We could also get like a week of Snout telling Ink Witch that he's decided to name her "Ink Witch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
is this supposed to be a filler set of comics? Like did he announce it would be this low effort or is this his spontaneous decision to basically do one panel worth of work per update now

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

is this supposed to be a filler set of comics? Like did he announce it would be this low effort or is this his spontaneous decision to basically do one panel worth of work per update now

This is just how he does all of the comic now. If he can reuse a drawing, he does. He's BRAGGED about it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

We could also get like a week of Snout telling Ink Witch that he's decided to name her "Ink Witch".

He doesn't need to, now that Snout/Mookie knows he's named the Ink Witch the Ink Witch, the Ink Witch knows that her name is the Ink Witch too and, because Snout/Mookie is OK with the name, so is she.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Once Snout left the wild edge the comic’s been mostly splash pages or walls of text, but Mookie has gotten lazier about them as time went on. He even reused the tiny ship instead of drawing a new one.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh my god if this entire chapter is just flying, I will laugh so hard. Then cry.

Berserk boat arc

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This comic is 100% filler.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Zereth posted:

This comic is 100% filler.

I don't get it man. Who is he doing it for?? he gets basically no engagement, he can't possibly be selling books enough to justify it, but he also doesn't do anything else right?

like, how can you be putting in so little effort into something but still be doing it as a labor of love because it's obviously not for the money!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Because these are literally the only ideas he has other than Star Power, and he can't convince another artist to draw a superhero comic for him.

He IS pulling in ~$1200/mo on Patreon, and I assume there must be some level of book sales. I'm betting he was banking on a lot of sales at Connecticon (primarily of Star Power though). I'm betting it's a 2-income household and he's the stay at home dad.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 13, 2021

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because these are literally the only ideas he has other than Star Power, and he can't convince another artist to draw a superhero comic for him.

He IS pulling in ~$1200/mo on Patreon, and I assume there must be some level of book sales. I'm betting he was banking on a lot of sales at Connecticon (primarily of Star Power though). I'm betting it's a 2-income household and he's the stay at home dad.

whole lotta people either forgot to unsubscribe on Patreon or huffing nostalgia for a webcomic they read as preteens, jeeze.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't get it man. Who is he doing it for??
Mookie.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

whole lotta people either forgot to unsubscribe on Patreon or huffing nostalgia for a webcomic they read as preteens, jeeze.

I think it's mostly because he does OG Dominic Deegan epilogue comics and stuff on there. The new comic is probably not a big part of the appeal. Like even as someone who feels mostly contempt for DD at this point, I've found myself curious about what the OG cast comics on the Patreon include.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I'd draw a comic with mookie. It would be hilarious, for me

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mx. posted:

I'd draw a comic with mookie. It would be hilarious, for me

I think mookie's poor art wouldnt even be that big of a sin if he seemed to make any attempt to write something compelling. For all its flaws the OG deegan at least had things happen pretty much every strip

I think he needs someone to help him write

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
There are plenty of well written comics with technically poor art, look at Oyvin Thorsby's stuff. And I don't even think his art is that bad, it perfectly fits the tone of the writing ad the monsters are incredibly imaginative, but it's not going to win any awards for best looking webcomic. So yeah, I agree that Mookie's writing is really what needs help, his art would be acceptable if he was capable of writing compelling characters and plots. He'd probably still need a little help with the action scenes since he isn't any good at conveying motion, but better writing would help him far more than better art would.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Mookie just needs someone to come up with a story for him that isn't inane or awful, write the dialogue, and do the art.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

FlocksOfMice posted:

Mookie just needs someone to come up with a story for him that isn't inane or awful, write the dialogue, and do the art.

I think his story could potentially work if he was a (flexible) idea guy with a real writer to help him, and if the writing was interesting the art wouldnt matter as much. As low a bar as it is Mookie's art is on the same level if not better than most newspaper and/or political comics.

Good enough writing can carry stick-figure level art, and often bad/poor art can service a story just fine if (like Thorsby or Power Up comics) it really fits the tone of the story/comedy. Ont he other hand people can sometimes keep up with a story just because the art is pretty to look at even if they dont give much of a poo poo about the story itself. Theres even another category where the art and/or writing is so bad but there seems to be so much effort put in that its still captivating.

Mookie, unfortunately, has the worst of both worlds, and has declined over time in some respects. He commits the ultimate sin of being boring, not just regular boring, but aggressively boring in a way that almost feels like hes mocking the reader. Its not like some Deviantart sonic comic with horrid art where you're like "well the artist at least really cares about this even if its bizarre and sucks rear end" its more like "does the artist care about this? Why is he even doing this?"

The Barnet arc really exemplified the ways that mookie's art fails him though, its important to know the limitations of your art and if you draw every single face the same having "this mysterious character looks just like [someone]" as a plot point really just points a magnifying glass at the fact he cant draw different faces

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And even then, that could work as a self-deprecation fourth wall gag where the characters all acknowledge that they have sameface syndrome.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Regalingualius posted:

And even then, that could work as a self-deprecation fourth wall gag where the characters all acknowledge that they have sameface syndrome.

It's funny cause Mookie already did this. When Dex shows up in Battle for Barthis Dominic makes a joke about how everyone says they look alike.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bismuth posted:

As low a bar as it is Mookie's art is on the same level if not better than most newspaper and/or political comics.

Mookie is absolutely better than Chris Muir, Gary McCoy, Ramirez and Kirschen. I'd say he's about even with Branco.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mookie is absolutely better than Chris Muir, Gary McCoy, Ramirez and Kirschen. I'd say he's about even with Branco.

There are more of them that are worse/on par with Mookie than there are better, thats for sure

god can you imagine a long form fantasy epic comic in Mike Lester or Ramirez's styles? or any of those low-effort farside ripoffs? I kind of want to see it just to see it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bismuth posted:

god can you imagine a long form fantasy epic comic in Ramirez's style?
It could work if he set in the Land of Giant Shoes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Actually now that I think about it Ramirez probably would be much better for all the "walking endlessly through the Wild Edge" pages. He's pretty competent at backgrounds, and we already know he's top notch at drawing grotesque alien looking horrors.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Prickly City is the closest to the Legacy in sheer aimless wandering.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Garfield but snout is Garfield and Jon is just any of the other characters rotated out

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Bismuth posted:

Mookie, unfortunately, has the worst of both worlds, and has declined over time in some respects. He commits the ultimate sin of being boring, not just regular boring, but aggressively boring in a way that almost feels like hes mocking the reader. Its not like some Deviantart sonic comic with horrid art where you're like "well the artist at least really cares about this even if its bizarre and sucks rear end" its more like "does the artist care about this? Why is he even doing this?"

I guess that's what's throwing me. It's so insubstantial; there is no thought or energy going into the writing or art, it's whatever let's him bang one out on his schedule, whatever he has is good enough. Minimum viable product style.

And that would make sense if this was something syndicated or whatever, something where he needs to keep it up for his income. But apparently he's got a patreon comic too?? And that's probably the main draw and I imagine maybe what he focuses on?

So why not just hiatus? Just feels like working on something I had no passion for and was no under obligation or direct incentive to complete feels like it would depress the poo poo out of me. I guess this must mean he's doing it for his own desire to follow through. Kudos to him for sticking to it in spite of the utter joyless slog it's coming off as?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

TheHan posted:

Prickly City is the closest to the Legacy in sheer aimless wandering.

True, although Sinfest's Sunday strips are closest to the Legacy in that they also attempt to tell a story with no dialog.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm morbidly curious and would be tempted to drop a fiver on his Patreon to dig through his bonus comics, but most of the reason would be to share with the class and I'm pretty sure that's still :files: enough to cause problems.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Nighthand posted:

I'm morbidly curious and would be tempted to drop a fiver on his Patreon to dig through his bonus comics, but most of the reason would be to share with the class and I'm pretty sure that's still :files: enough to cause problems.

make MSpaint reconstructions

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Nighthand posted:

I'm morbidly curious and would be tempted to drop a fiver on his Patreon to dig through his bonus comics

Don't do this.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Bismuth posted:

make MSpaint reconstructions

Don't do this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No, seriously, don’t. Please do not stalk Mookie’s patreon.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

feel free to give mookie money as a genuine #1 deegan fan. it's important to support your favourite creators

do not pirate anybody's patreon work

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nighthand posted:

I did that a while ago and I regret it now. Please don't.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

somethingawful contains the densest concentration of deegan fans on the internet

in all meanings

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah we're definitely pretty dense :dadjoke:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's ok to write something purely for yourself. It's when you try to push it as fit for mass consumption that problems start.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
There's a condition called "maladaptive daydreaming," where people spend their days lost in elaborate, rambling wish-fulfillment fantasies. I think this comic is a maladaptive daydream written down.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The comic has the shape and feel of a rough draft.

Mookie insists on his improv "see where the story goes" style, but he never edits and makes that the released version so we see every idea as he has it. Meanwhile plenty of writers set out without a detailed outline or the story will shift in their hand, but then they go back and revise once they've figured out what it is they're writing. Even improv theater has a thing where they'll do an improv many times to refine it and make the bit tighter- they still don't script it but they like, keep running through and improving it as they get more an idea of what the thing is.

Here he's locked himself in. No revisions, no improvements, just the first thing that pops into his head is the story.

And like I'm not even convinced you can't tell a story this way- but his ideas are just too dull and he gets bored too easily and never runs with anything. He won't pick up a thread and run with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The comic has the shape and feel of a rough draft.

Mookie insists on his improv "see where the story goes" style, but he never edits and makes that the released version so we see every idea as he has it. Meanwhile plenty of writers set out without a detailed outline or the story will shift in their hand, but then they go back and revise once they've figured out what it is they're writing. Even improv theater has a thing where they'll do an improv many times to refine it and make the bit tighter- they still don't script it but they like, keep running through and improving it as they get more an idea of what the thing is.

Here he's locked himself in. No revisions, no improvements, just the first thing that pops into his head is the story.

And like I'm not even convinced you can't tell a story this way- but his ideas are just too dull and he gets bored too easily and never runs with anything. He won't pick up a thread and run with it.

I would almost bet money he approaches writing webcomics the way one approaches DMing a tabletop game--and I say this based on both how he writes and what he writes

A DM doesn't want to make too many concrete, long-term "this is definitely what will happen later" plans because they can be derailed by the players, and even a boring plot setup can become something personal and exciting because the players get invested in their own characters, and pull threads you don't expect them to pull, and ask questions you don't have answers for so you have to make a bunch of poo poo up as you go along and it becomes its own unique thing. DMing is very much like improv storytelling and world building, with some DMs being way more elaborate in their research and prep while other DMs fly by the seat of their pants. Both can be great DMs. That's not a problem in itself--unless you're writing both the DM and the characters, and can't think of anything fun or exciting the players would do, or your characters are just as boring as your setting, or you can't think from any perspective but yours so it's like watching Mookie DM for a party of Mookies. He's waiting for some bolt of inspiration that will suddenly drive his cast and put him in the player mindset and it ain't happening. Characters can take a life of their own in a writer's head, but sometimes they don't. These ain't.

what I'm saying is Mookie's writing would be better (not necessarily good, but better more entertaining) if he did one of them there interactive audience participation comics, like a Problem Sleuth or an Awful Hospital

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 14, 2021