Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wow owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

gently caress rip to one of the goats god drat it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

gently caress rip to one of the goats god drat it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
well poo poo.

almost timed it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSMSbFV_q0

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
what

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
RIP to the only comedian who could make Albert Fish hilarious, drat

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QfsXUPghXk

not the same without video but what a legend

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/1437850543989395471?s=20

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Norm MacDead

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
not sure about hawkeye but yes i think he might've done something bad. he is very cringe tho

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think he beat his wife or something

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hawkeye I mean. Idk about Norm

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

so its very convenient he ended the series having been almost totally written out of the setting the real issue is that the people running the show consider next generation their unimpeachable ideal of what star trek should be

never mind the fact that aesthetically next generation had lots of stinkers structurally nearly all of the stories were totally self contained and stylistically were farther away from next generation now than next generation was from the original series

absolutely no one back then viewed the original series anywhere near as romantically as the showrunners today see next generation except possibly gene roddenberry and its not a coincidence that next generation improved dramatically as his involvement with it decreased

You are putting way too much thought into this. The people in charge of making Star Trek now are nearly universally a pack of rich failchildren and the stories they make are appropriately out of touch; so long as they consistently drop enough fanservice to keep the hardcore nerds generating buzz it doesn't matter if their stories do an incredibly bad job pretending to have something to say or even just at being funny.

The entire Star Trek brand is probably running similarly to the way the MMO is, sustained entirely by a relative handful of whales spending all the money leaving only the extremely online, a handful of contrarian YouTube essayists and right wing reactionaries even talking about it.

E: Norm died?!!? gently caress

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

dennis miller sucks but norm's appearance/s on his shows are so fuckin good, especially his ventriloquist bit, gotta relisten to this tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKwIKJb3n74

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/lukenfortrouble/status/1437886367221039107?s=20

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I loved Norm saving this horrible Youtube special with his classic hijacking strategy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6R5ROEaDY

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
the moment that made me groan the most in Discovery was when they treated sitting the captain's chair as a huge ritual circumstance. A moment of great importance which every turns and looks at. there's dramatic music. it lasts a long-rear end time.

Like... that can be true for us watching the show, sometimes, but it shouldn't be treated that way in-universe. The captain leaves the chair and whoever he pointed at sits in it, Kirk never made a big deal out of it. It's not a holy throne, it's the chair in the middle so you can see what everyone is doing. But it's become part of The Mythology so people in-universe treat putting your rear end on the seat like you just pulled a sword out of a loving stone.

One of the reasons Lower Decks works is when they do poo poo like that, it's a joke, and they treat it with appropriate dignity (ie: none). You can't take seriously something that treats itself reverently.

Hot as gently caress take: this is why The Last Jedi was the best of the sequels trilogy. The other movies treated its iconography like sacred relics in and out of the fiction. The Last Jedi wasn't afraid to break toys, to remind us that X-Wings are outcomes of a military-industrial complex no different than TIE fighters, to snap Luke Skywalker's lightsaber over its knee, to mock and undercut the tryhard bad guys with sight gags and insults, to kill the spooky villain with a throne to let the angry, lovely, far more dangerous and complex underling take charge.

People have all kinds of reasons why they hate it but almost all of them end up boiling down to lack of reverence, and the sequel spent all its time negating all of those as this pathetic, needy gesture to show that they still care more about preserving the nostalgic worship of imagery. The Last Jedi dared to draw inspiration from the old Flying Ace movies and Kurosawa films that the original Star Wars built on, but people's toxic relationship with the mythology of fandom, this religious treatment (ffs the word canon is part of our vocabulary on this) of the originals, was such that they effectively demanded that the only thing Star Wars is allowed to draw imagery from is itself. It's a toxic, self-referential hell that can only undercut and poison the work instead of build on it.

Except like, I think Star Trek is even worse off than Star Wars right now. Star Wars is run top to bottom by people who are fans of Star Wars and that is poison but its at least consistent poison. Trek has executives who don't at all care and writers who care too much, so you end up with this awful twisted thing which at a high-level discards every piece of imagery or theme which made the franchise what it is, and then moment to moment is cluttered with this cloying worship of minor continuity, this constant fanservice that ceases to make sense. It doesn't resemble itself while simultaneously worshipping itself. It's perverse.

Lower Decks is great because it's run by a guy who loves Star Trek but also realizes it's stupid. I think that's the best kind of person for a franchise to end up in the hands of. Having affection for something while recognizing its many problems is the healthiest kind of fan relationship.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

elaboration has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Mar 22, 2023

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
By the last couple seasons they decided the stargate was too limiting so "gently caress it, we have our own starships now" complete with requisite space battles where the sets shake and sparks fly from terminals.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mhUIIhcTb8&t=8s

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Killjoy posted:

By the last couple seasons they decided the stargate was too limiting so "gently caress it, we have our own starships now" complete with requisite space battles where the sets shake and sparks fly from terminals.

All the ship stuff is pretty much the worst bits of sg-1. Where are the trees? The quarries? The sand and the boulders???

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Skip Cloud Atlas and go straight for Jupiter Ascending

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mobile suit Gundam is the superior scifi television franchise

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I say gundamn america

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mastershakeman posted:

All the ship stuff is pretty much the worst bits of sg-1. Where are the trees? The quarries? The sand and the boulders???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

That was also the exact scene that description conjured up for me

I too received a classical education in Whatever the Local Fox Affiliate Would Broadcast After 10 PM on Weeknights

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Stargate is a perfect encapsulation of post-Cold War America (guess we're going to be stomping on third world ~dictatorships~ forever) running all the way through 9/11 (oh poo poo an actual threat from religious fundamentalists! gods with the actual power to challenge us!)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

open_sketchbook posted:

the moment that made me groan the most in Discovery was when they treated sitting the captain's chair as a huge ritual circumstance. A moment of great importance which every turns and looks at. there's dramatic music. it lasts a long-rear end time.

Like... that can be true for us watching the show, sometimes, but it shouldn't be treated that way in-universe. The captain leaves the chair and whoever he pointed at sits in it, Kirk never made a big deal out of it. It's not a holy throne, it's the chair in the middle so you can see what everyone is doing. But it's become part of The Mythology so people in-universe treat putting your rear end on the seat like you just pulled a sword out of a loving stone.

One of the reasons Lower Decks works is when they do poo poo like that, it's a joke, and they treat it with appropriate dignity (ie: none). You can't take seriously something that treats itself reverently.

Hot as gently caress take: this is why The Last Jedi was the best of the sequels trilogy. The other movies treated its iconography like sacred relics in and out of the fiction. The Last Jedi wasn't afraid to break toys, to remind us that X-Wings are outcomes of a military-industrial complex no different than TIE fighters, to snap Luke Skywalker's lightsaber over its knee, to mock and undercut the tryhard bad guys with sight gags and insults, to kill the spooky villain with a throne to let the angry, lovely, far more dangerous and complex underling take charge.

People have all kinds of reasons why they hate it but almost all of them end up boiling down to lack of reverence, and the sequel spent all its time negating all of those as this pathetic, needy gesture to show that they still care more about preserving the nostalgic worship of imagery. The Last Jedi dared to draw inspiration from the old Flying Ace movies and Kurosawa films that the original Star Wars built on, but people's toxic relationship with the mythology of fandom, this religious treatment (ffs the word canon is part of our vocabulary on this) of the originals, was such that they effectively demanded that the only thing Star Wars is allowed to draw imagery from is itself. It's a toxic, self-referential hell that can only undercut and poison the work instead of build on it.

Except like, I think Star Trek is even worse off than Star Wars right now. Star Wars is run top to bottom by people who are fans of Star Wars and that is poison but its at least consistent poison. Trek has executives who don't at all care and writers who care too much, so you end up with this awful twisted thing which at a high-level discards every piece of imagery or theme which made the franchise what it is, and then moment to moment is cluttered with this cloying worship of minor continuity, this constant fanservice that ceases to make sense. It doesn't resemble itself while simultaneously worshipping itself. It's perverse.

Lower Decks is great because it's run by a guy who loves Star Trek but also realizes it's stupid. I think that's the best kind of person for a franchise to end up in the hands of. Having affection for something while recognizing its many problems is the healthiest kind of fan relationship.

Congratulations! Or I'm sorry that happened to you.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is pro-click for multiple reasons lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

open_sketchbook posted:

I've never watched Lower Decks, but I appreciate the perspective on Discovery

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Tubgoat posted:

Congratulations! Or I'm sorry that happened to you.

thanks

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Stairmaster posted:

Mobile suit Gundam is the superior scifi television franchise

Only cowards skip the salt episode

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

wheres the thread title from?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

wheres the thread title from?

The dude who drew shang-chi couldnt make it racist enough so they made him half-white to explain why he wasnt a horrible caricature

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The United States posted:

Stargate is a perfect encapsulation of post-Cold War America (guess we're going to be stomping on third world ~dictatorships~ forever) running all the way through 9/11 (oh poo poo an actual threat from religious fundamentalists! gods with the actual power to challenge us!)

Bin Laden was a stealth system lord?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Box of Bunnies posted:

Only cowards skip the salt episode
Assuming this didn't make the cut for the movies?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
posting to maximize the tea time on this page

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
accented cinema just made a video about shang-chi and the prevalence to otherize asian-americans in media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnAEAQtIvGo

also rip norm, this is my fav appearance of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKmadR4Ye54

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

etalian posted:

Bin Laden was a stealth system lord?
P3Y-229 was an inside job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37lSlSriDs0