Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

flakeloaf posted:

If you don't have your lights on, it's okay for rich people to get drunk and murder you (and blame it on their wives). Allegedly.
Turns out money can buy happiness.

Sounds like the CMOH is going to be butting heads with the UCP pretty soon.

quote:

Kenney has also repeatedly rejected calls for vaccination requirements, which are increasingly common in other provinces when it comes to accessing bars, restaurants, gyms and other public venues.

But Hinshaw said Monday that it's "pretty clear" vaccine passports have an impact.

In B.C., she said, there was a clear increase in vaccine uptake among younger age groups within two weeks of its vaccine card announcement.

People aged 30 to 39 saw an increase of almost three per cent, while uptake among those aged 18 to 29 went up by over four per cent, Hinshaw said.

"I think it's pretty clear that requirements, especially for discretionary activities can have an impact in those age groups where we most need right now to increase our uptake," she said.

Hinshaw also said she thinks it's "very reasonable" to have kids wearing masks in schools.
I wonder if blocking people from discretionary activities is a better incentive than handing out gift cards.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Blood Boils posted:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-in-that-moment-i-knew-he-wanted-me-to-lie-jody-wilson-raybould-recalls/

JT is the Michael Jordan of douchebags, just when you think he can't top himself he finds a new level lmao

Wilson-Reybould has been grinding this axe for years now. Does anybody really care?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Another Bill posted:

Wilson-Reybould has been grinding this axe for years now. Does anybody really care?

No, it's not an election issue.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Honestly, I believe he pressured her and told her to let SNC go but she changes her story every single time she gets attention and also hired loving Kinsella to manage this so......

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Another Bill posted:

It will be moot after this election. Since she's retiring, people that gave her her independent seat have to choose between going back to the party that betrayed them or to the other parties.

Currently, it looks like most of them went back to the Libs, which makes sense since there's a lot of larger detached homes in this riding (I'm in it, but in a 1 bedroom) so most of the voters here are going to be more inclined towards centrist parties:

https://338canada.com/59036e.htm

But it's been jumping around a lot and there's a week still to go in this very brief election, so who knows where it lands in the end in this riding. She seems more left inclined, so I imagine her hope would be people switching to more left parties if she keeps bad-mouthing the Libs like this. But that's not what seems to be happening, and she should have known her riding wouldn't swing that way. So yeah.... don't really know what purpose she has in doing this anymore.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flakeloaf posted:

Sears had everything they needed to become Canadian Amazon and get bought out by Bezos for a fucktillion dollars, and they blew it.
I worked for Sears for a few years in the early 2000s. Someone had actually put forth a proposal to the board of the US parent company and the board of the Canadian company suggesting to start selling stuff online. The presentation point out that Sears had it's own credit card, already had customers used to buying stuff from images in a catalogue, and had the warehouse and distribution network setup for catalogue deliveries. All that was needed was to set up the website and the ecommerce platform. The estimated cost for setting it up and running it for a two year trial was US$750,000. The board rejected the proposal for being too risky and too expensive for potentially little to no benefit.

I know the people involved in UBI Works. It's mainly small business owners who have told me that UBI is great because it means they can reduce benefits and salaries because UBI will cover the difference. It also means that many social programs can be eliminated since "people will now have money to pay for these services".

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Welp Nova Scotia is staying in phase 4 for now (mandatory masks in public indoor spaces, social distancing, gathering limits). New target date for complete abandonment of preventative measures is Oct 4, which is when the vaccine passports start. Sounds like delta v is ripping through some Mennonite community close to the NB border.

Lots of exceptions to the “proof of vaccination” policy — churches, banks, fast food/takeout restaurants, barbers and spas, retail stores, shelters… kind of wondering why they’re bothering at all

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Welp Nova Scotia is staying in phase 4 for now (mandatory masks in public indoor spaces, social distancing, gathering limits). New target date for complete abandonment of preventative measures is Oct 4, which is when the vaccine passports start. Sounds like delta v is ripping through some Mennonite community close to the NB border.

Lots of exceptions to the “proof of vaccination” policy — churches, banks, fast food/takeout restaurants, barbers and spas, retail stores, shelters… kind of wondering why they’re bothering at all

Pretty quick rollback from their phase 5 announcement last week.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Orthanc6 posted:

It will be moot after this election. Since she's retiring, people that gave her her independent seat have to choose between going back to the party that betrayed them or to the other parties.

Currently, it looks like most of them went back to the Libs, which makes sense since there's a lot of larger detached homes in this riding (I'm in it, but in a 1 bedroom) so most of the voters here are going to be more inclined towards centrist parties:

https://338canada.com/59036e.htm

But it's been jumping around a lot and there's a week still to go in this very brief election, so who knows where it lands in the end in this riding. She seems more left inclined, so I imagine her hope would be people switching to more left parties if she keeps bad-mouthing the Libs like this. But that's not what seems to be happening, and she should have known her riding wouldn't swing that way. So yeah.... don't really know what purpose she has in doing this anymore.

Sup neighbour! I am hoping that it goes to the NDP seeing how last time it went to an independent, but I guess people here might be more about the devil you know.
Also it kind of blows my mind how diverse this area is. I live near a bunch of co-ops (in one myself), there are a bunch of 3 story apartment rentals (that look like they will slowly get demolished), and then you get some really nice semi detached places the further you move up from the river. At least I haven't seen a single PPC flyer.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

Sup neighbour! I am hoping that it goes to the NDP seeing how last time it went to an independent, but I guess people here might be more about the devil you know.
Also it kind of blows my mind how diverse this area is. I live near a bunch of co-ops (in one myself), there are a bunch of 3 story apartment rentals (that look like they will slowly get demolished), and then you get some really nice semi detached places the further you move up from the river. At least I haven't seen a single PPC flyer.

Howdy! Yeah I helped canvas for the NDP candidate last election cause I was between contracts at the time. We focused on getting to all those low-rise apartments, but yeah this riding really has it all. We got low-rise rentals, mansions, giant condo towers and the edge of downtown Vancouver. The office last time was on Broadway but most of our canvasing was near the south-end at Marpole. I think our last candidate, Yvonne, was fantastic, but I'm not surprised she couldn't get this riding. She was very young and very, VERY left, and this riding is pretty much square in the middle politically.

And also yes, these low-rises are starting to get demo'd. I imagine you've seen the conversion around the Skytrain station, they've already announced the next phase of expanding high-rises and it's expanding pretty quickly out from the station along Marine Drive. I expect to be demo-victed.... again, within 5 years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trudeau took a shot at Kenney and Moe today.

The quote in question posted:

Speaking to reporters in Richmond, B.C., Trudeau said he "feels bad" for people living in Alberta and Saskatchewan who have "done the right thing" and gotten vaccinated.

"Yes it's a lower number than elsewhere in the country as a proportion, but it's a still a majority of Albertans and Saskatchewanians who have gotten vaccinated," he said.

"And because of leadership that will not commit to keeping them safe in the right way, or protecting the economy the right way, they are facing greater risks because of cancelled surgeries, they are facing emergency public health restrictions that may have to be brought in."

Kenney had to cancel his trip to go speak at the oil sands convention so he could instead convene a cabinet meeting over the Alberta fustercluck. I imagine we'll see him come out tomorrow to yell and scream about Federal overreach. How dare Trudeau criticize him, how dare he?!

Also over 5.6 million people voted in advance polls this weekend. That seems significant.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/serre-assaulted-campaign-office-1.6175489

Oh hey, now we're at this point

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Crazies in St. Catharines have stuck to vandalism. For now.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

quote:

However, patrons don’t have to prove they’re fully immunized when they enter establishments to access an outdoor area, to place or pick up an order, to use the washroom or to place a bet at a horse racing track.

lmao always with the horse racing when it comes to Ford

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a sinking feeling we're going to see a lot of crazies getting arrested at the polls on Monday after they start smashing poo poo and refusing to mask up.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

bunnyofdoom posted:

Honestly, I believe he pressured her and told her to let SNC go but she changes her story every single time she gets attention and also hired loving Kinsella to manage this so......

Believe women, even when they say unflattering things about your hero

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Also rip Norm MacDonald :'(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ZiadFazel/status/1437800541807996930

Someone noticed this during Hinshaw's Zoom meeting last night. Note the BC, AB and SK graphs up top.

Is is normal for comparison graphs to have different scales?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 14, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Those are direct screenshots from the COVID-19 Outbreak Update webpage on Canada.ca. I've been checking in there ever since the pandemic began: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

The graphs automatically adjust their scale to the min/max values. Kinda seems like she was just screenshotting them and dumping them on a slide, but I guess it depends on the context of the meeting.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Edit: oh, you know what though, if you go to the actual link that she posted at scroll down to figure 1b, you can toggle relative scales. She either made a huge oversight or is deliberately misleading. Here's those graphs again:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 15, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Those are direct screenshots from the COVID-19 Outbreak Update webpage on Canada.ca. I've been checking in there ever since the pandemic began: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

The graphs automatically adjust their scale to the min/max values. Kinda seems like she was just screenshotting them and dumping them on a slide, but I guess it depends on the context of the meeting.

Do those graphs usually adjust when you're using them for comparisons between provinces?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Blood Boils posted:

Believe women, even when they say unflattering things about your hero

Surely all the things Cheryl Gallant has to say about my main man JT can't be true.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Arc Hammer posted:

Do those graphs usually adjust when you're using them for comparisons between provinces?

Regrettably you can only do once province at a time, so yeah. You just pick the data you want (ex Rate, Active Cases), then you can move your mouse to each province and the graph will morph accordingly. Try it out: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

Edit: oh, you know what though, if you go to the actual link that she posted at scroll down to figure 1b, you can toggle relative scales. She either made a huge oversight or is deliberately misleading. Here's those graphs again:

Blood Boils posted:

Also gently caress this. :(

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 15, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Nearly 5.8 million Canadians used advance polling to cast their vote

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/ElectionsCan_E/status/1437861508218826758

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Always good to see more people voting, though I imagine a big contributor to early voting is people not wanting to be at the potential COVID-super-spreader polls on the 20th.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blood Boils posted:

gently caress :(

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/AbigailBimman/status/1437940752575778820

lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, point to Chrétien for that one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arc Hammer posted:

He's always had a way with words, even when he was pepper spraying protesters.

And there's a reason they gave him some distance.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Lever says the election will most likely be decided by strategic voting.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/turnout-strategic-voting-likely-to-decide-election-as-grits-tories-tied-pollster

quote:

Turnout, strategic voting likely to decide election as Grits, Tories tied: pollster

OTTAWA — The 2021 federal election is likely going to be decided by turnout and strategic voting, Leger executive vice-president Christian Bourque says as his firm’s latest poll results show the leading two parties in a dead heat.

The poll suggests the Liberals and Conservatives both have the support of 32 per cent of decided voters. The NDP are in third with 20 per cent.

But about one-fifth of those surveyed in the online poll conducted in collaboration with The Canadian Press said if the race was tight between the two front-runners, it could likely convince them to switch their vote to the Liberals. About one in 10 said they might switch to the Conservatives.

Almost one in three voters who said they plan to vote NDP also said a close race could convince them to vote Liberal instead, and a similar number of people who plan to vote for the People’s Party of Canada said they might switch to the Conservatives.

Bourque said the race is so tight in part because no one party or leader is generating energy or excitement.

“There is a little bit of a blah feeling, a little bit, right now,” he said.

The Conservatives had some momentum in the middle of the campaign, and a similar poll taken two weeks ago showed them with 34 per cent, the Liberals at 30 per cent and the NDP at 24 per cent.

The polls cannot be given a margin of error because internet-based polls are not considered random samples.

The latest poll was taken between Sept. 10 and Sept. 13, the four days following the two nationally televised leaders’ debates, where the biggest punch came not from any of the leaders but from a moderator’s question about what she called Quebec’s “discriminatory” secularism law.

In Quebec, the Liberals are holding steady with support of 34 per cent of decided voters polled by Leger, compared with 30 per cent for the Bloc Quebecois, 19 per cent for the Conservatives and 10 per cent for the NDP.

Bourque said following the debates, the Bloc Quebecois regained some traction but the Conservatives, who won 10 seats in Quebec two years ago, are falling below where they want to be to increase their seat count there.

“If the Tories are below 20 per cent in Quebec, they cannot mathematically gain new seats,” said Bourque.

In Ontario, where the critical “905” region that includes Toronto’s populous suburbs will help determine the final outcome, the Liberals hold a very slight lead over the Conservatives, at 36 and 34 per cent respectively. In British Columbia, the Conservatives enjoy a slight lead over the Liberals, with the NDP only a few points back.

Bourque said the poll numbers for the NDP in B.C. would likely allow them to hold their seats there but in Ontario, where they’re at 22 per cent in the Leger poll, things could start to get dicey.

“At 22, the potential for not making gains in Ontario and maybe losing some is very close,” said Bourque. “So I think that’s the one they need to watch right now.”

The poll suggests the momentum the Conservatives had in the early weeks of this campaign has sputtered, and the Liberals are starting to mount a slow comeback.

The biggest drag on the Liberals, according to Leger, is Justin Trudeau himself. One-third of those polled said his leadership was making them hesitant about voting Liberal, while a similar number said his ethics are giving them pause.

For Erin O’Toole, more than one in five voters polled cited social issues like abortion as the main reason they’re hesitant to vote Conservative, with almost as many also naming his policies on climate change and vaccines as a deciding factor.

Gun control was named by about one in six people as a reason they’re hesitant to vote Conservative, but in a world where strategic voting matters, O’Toole’s evolving position on gun control may make it harder to lure voters back from the People’s Party of Canada. More than half of decided PPC voters said gun control policy was making them hesitant about voting Conservative.

Bourque said in addition to strategic voting, turnout could be a factor. He said most often low turnout favours the incumbent, because when voters really want change, turnout tends to go up.

Two-thirds of voters either plan to or already have voted by mail or at an advanced poll.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Lever says the election will most likely be decided by strategic voting.

When you definitely live in a democracy,

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Arc Hammer posted:

I have to wonder how long he's been waiting to bust that out again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oh wow, the guy who sells polls thinks the election will be decided based on polls? Man, good thing they got that to press in time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good thing that a) we never have to vote in another FPTP election again! and b) polling is completely useless in determining whether strategic voting is even worthwhile.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Our Greatest Prime Minister :patriot:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZeeBoi posted:

Oh poo poo the Parry Sound-Muskoka candidate is Revolver Ocelot

Patriots Party of Canada.

La Li Lu Eh Lo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Patriots Party of Canada.

La Li Lu Eh Lo

:hmmyes:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Oh wow, the guy who sells polls thinks the election will be decided based on polls? Man, good thing they got that to press in time.

lever-action election, more like it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I'd like to issue a retraction to a post of mine on the subject of Jean Chretien. You do, under all circumstances, "gotta hand it to him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Re: strategic voting

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/08/30/Does-Strategic-Voting-Actually-Work/

I would remind that our system, for better or worse, was first designed for roving gangs of largely illiterate violent drunks

If you're strategizing, your overthinking it