Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I wouldn't even bother with the screenshot and just give them times you're available but do let them know the original times don't work for you. Shouldn't be an issue since they know your employed and if it is an issue, they've already shown you their rear end and you can safely move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I got asked to do a second round interview but they only gave me three possible time slots. I'm extremely loving busy this week and none really works with my existing obligations. Am I out of line to ask for a different time? Would it hurt me?

it shouldn't hurt you in absolute terms, everyone knows that you have to fit interviews in around your normal job

to the extent that they might be advancing faster with other candidates, it might hurt a bit in relative terms

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Give them as many ranges as you can though. If a candidate says "Oh that time doesn't work" that's fine but don't make me guess what times do work.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Lockback posted:

Give them as many ranges as you can though. If a candidate says "Oh that time doesn't work" that's fine but don't make me guess what times do work.

This is great advice for setting up any kind of meeting.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had another interview today and I definitely ranted on for too long. I answered two questions and 30 minutes was over. A reminder to everyone to rehearse your stories and keep them compact. 5 minutes a story is the standard, I think -- certainly not more than 10 minutes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
30 minutes is all they gave you for an interview? Like, not just a phone screen?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It was a final round interview. Lasted 45 minutes -- 30 minutes for me to answer questions, 15 minutes for them to answer questions. I tried to get them to ask me more stuff ("do you have any questions about my experience I can provide more clarity on?") but they were like "nah it's your turn to ask questions."

I tried my best in that last 15 minutes to ask intelligent questions but it's really no substitute for getting more time to brag about your own experience.

I leave a bit frustrated because in their answers to my questions, they highlighted that they were looking for X, Y, Z qualities. I had stories for every one of those qualities! I've previously tried rattling off a story during the part where you ask questions, but it normally comes off as overeager and insecure so I haven't tried it again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, it's a lot better when candidates as questions about the job, company, culture vs when the questions are just set pieces to talk about themselves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I always find it weird when candidates don't ask actual questions. you must have actual questions about what it's like to work here or whatever, you should ask those. i will tell you because i am not trying to sell you on the job if it wont be the right fit.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, asking questions is also a way of protecting your own rear in case the job has undesirable traits. Best to find out about, say, what a place considers an ideal work-life balance in advance!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Eric the Mauve posted:

30 minutes is all they gave you for an interview? Like, not just a phone screen?

I tested the waters over the summer and pretty much every interview I had was 30 minutes. It's kinda ridiculous you can barely say/ask anything at all.

These were high paying high responsibility roles too.

My opinion is we're at some weird point right now where interviewing is a skill completely divorced from your work, or even like general interpersonal skills. Its like some PUA in the club poo poo.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I don't like writing resumes.

Are any services not scams?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

This may not be the right place for this question but does anyone here work in a RTW state in a field where unions are prevalent? Finishing some cert exams and realizing the aerospace and aviation industries are heavy on the unions. With some research I’ve found that apparently in a RTW state you can opt out and be exempt from even compulsory dues mandated by the company’s contract with a given union, but can anyone with experience here expound on or speak into this?

Basically I’m worried that I’ll be pressured to join a union when I get in somewhere and I’m not keen on being in a union—don’t know fully what my rights would be in this situation. I’m in Texas FWIW

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

life is killing me posted:

This may not be the right place for this question but does anyone here work in a RTW state in a field where unions are prevalent? Finishing some cert exams and realizing the aerospace and aviation industries are heavy on the unions. With some research I’ve found that apparently in a RTW state you can opt out and be exempt from even compulsory dues mandated by the company’s contract with a given union, but can anyone with experience here expound on or speak into this?

Basically I’m worried that I’ll be pressured to join a union when I get in somewhere and I’m not keen on being in a union—don’t know fully what my rights would be in this situation. I’m in Texas FWIW

I’ll help: join a union if you can, it will only help you. Your hesitation and concerns about unions are the product of decades of anti union propaganda from employers.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Think of it like this: by default, your boss has more power than you — he tells you what to do and can fire you.

So, if you have the misfortune to get a boss who is a tyrant, you might not be able to do much about it by yourself.

However, if you and your coworkers were able to act as a group, you could protect yourself in this situation.
That’s a union, though it’s catchier if you think of it as something like the Three Musketeers. All for one and one for all!

If you don’t want anything to do with a union, you are relying on luck and your boss’s goodwill, neither of which is particularly guaranteed.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Piling on to say join a union if you can.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Upgrade posted:

Since your job experience isn’t relevant lead with your skills and software experience.

Would you have any more advice for that?

Lockback posted:

Agree.

This is pretty good for a new grad though. What kinda roles are you targeting?

I'm looking for something that would make use of my major. Like some sort of analyst position? I have no idea what I'm qualified for though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

EvilElmo posted:

I don't like writing resumes.

Are any services not scams?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2832510

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Opened my email to see a request for references after 2 interviews! I’m trying really hard not to let my hopes get too high.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Baronash posted:

Opened my email to see a request for references after 2 interviews! I’m trying really hard not to let my hopes get too high.

That typically means you are the top candidate. I don't waste time on references unless I am already planning on offering you the job. I assume most other people are similar.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah, the only time I've had that happen, I was offered the job.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Thread - I need your help.

My resume is awesome. I know I have bankruptcy on my credit report, but lets just assume I don't for a second.

All of my interviews are via zoom/teams etc etc etc.

Are there new etiquette rules I need to be aware of?

I ask because I had
3 Interviews at Software company - This is the job I got and had rescinded due to bankruptcy
5 Interviews at Non Profit - and didn't get the job (told about Bankruptcy)
6 Interviews at Small Pharma company - and didnt get it.
3 Interviews at other small company - and didn't get it.
3 interviews at Saas 1 (told about Bankruptcy)
3 Interviews at manufacturing company 1 and didn't get it - but the person i was replacing there offered me a job working for me at her new company.
2 Interviews at a Holding company for a chain fast food place - I didnt get it but would have turned it down if i did.
+8 First Round interviews I opted not to go forward on due to money.
+ I had my fourth interview at an Saas company on Thursday (told about Bankruptcy), and two first round interviews today, plus an invite for another.

It seems like I get to the end each time - I am told by multiple people how i would be a good fit personality wise and based on my experience, and then poof.

I know i shouldn't be complaining because i have a job, but I need to get the hell out of here and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'm looking for something that would make use of my major. Like some sort of analyst position? I have no idea what I'm qualified for though.

Seems like you need some direction on career wise before resume advice would be helpful. Sadly, I can't give you advice on getting a job until you know what job you want to get. If you'd like some help finding the right job/career this threads good for that too.

First thing to do:
Post 3 entry-level jobs you wish you could apply for and get, which also meet your salary/life needs. Can be in basically any field, data analyst, lawyer, dog-walker, devops engineer.

After that we'll look at the differences between a strong candidate for that position and you. I can suggest the fastest things you can do to get there.
For example: if it's lawyer, fast is still LSAT + 3 years of law school, if it's DevOps engineer you just need a bootcamp and some projects.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 14, 2021

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

spwrozek posted:

That typically means you are the top candidate. I don't waste time on references unless I am already planning on offering you the job. I assume most other people are similar.

What the hell is the point of references anymore? My most recent job is the first time a company has asked for them AND followed up with them. It usually goes one of two ways:

The reference is from a corporate job that, by policy, will only answer dates of employment and most recent title

and/or

Someone I know 100% will give a glowing, stellar reference, because why the hell would I give the name of someone who wouldn't?

What is really learned in that step? I have to do them in my new role and I still think they're idiotic.

Note: this is at the IC level; I understand at higher levels, it may make more sense and can be done informally

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Omne posted:

What the hell is the point of references anymore? My most recent job is the first time a company has asked for them AND followed up with them. It usually goes one of two ways:

The reference is from a corporate job that, by policy, will only answer dates of employment and most recent title

and/or

Someone I know 100% will give a glowing, stellar reference, because why the hell would I give the name of someone who wouldn't?

What is really learned in that step? I have to do them in my new role and I still think they're idiotic.

Note: this is at the IC level; I understand at higher levels, it may make more sense and can be done informally

Because you never know what you'll find.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Upgrade posted:

I’ll help: join a union if you can, it will only help you. Your hesitation and concerns about unions are the product of decades of anti union propaganda from employers.

Sure, and thanks for a different perspective. My main hesitation here is that I’m seeing current workers in my field, who are largely anti-vaccine, talking of attempting to somehow prod the big union in the industry into rallying with them to go against Biden’s mandate. Doesn’t seem like it’ll go well at all, and I’m nervous that, upon getting a job and joining a union, that perhaps a labor union that would do that is not one I want to be a part of—my dues money essentially going toward efforts with which I disagree. I’m of the camp that absolutely believes the mandate is the right thing to do, but knowing that I could opt out if a union’s efforts don’t align with my own views on whatever.

Basically I don’t want to get caught up in that. I barely want to work next to people who don’t give a gently caress about spreading disease in the name of their personal freedoms (which aren’t even relevant, honestly)

Quackles posted:

Think of it like this: by default, your boss has more power than you — he tells you what to do and can fire you.

So, if you have the misfortune to get a boss who is a tyrant, you might not be able to do much about it by yourself.

However, if you and your coworkers were able to act as a group, you could protect yourself in this situation.
That’s a union, though it’s catchier if you think of it as something like the Three Musketeers. All for one and one for all!

If you don’t want anything to do with a union, you are relying on luck and your boss’s goodwill, neither of which is particularly guaranteed.

Perhaps all I’ve heard really is propaganda and I need to do more research, which I’m doing now, but thank you for a perspective other than the one I have/had because I don’t know much about labor unions that I haven’t heard from someone decrying them for being political lobbyists and for where the money goes.

What I do know is this would be my first experience in a field (civilian-wise) where unions are a thing, and I’m hesitant—but maybe I’m overthinking it given that joining one wouldn’t necessarily be a condition of employment so other options are on the table and I’m considering them a little too early before I know enough.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pillowpants posted:

My resume is awesome. I know I have bankruptcy on my credit report, but lets just assume I don't for a second.

All of my interviews are via zoom/teams etc etc etc.

Are there new etiquette rules I need to be aware of?

I ask because I had
3 Interviews at Software company - This is the job I got and had rescinded due to bankruptcy
5 Interviews at Non Profit - and didn't get the job (told about Bankruptcy)
6 Interviews at Small Pharma company - and didnt get it.
3 Interviews at other small company - and didn't get it.
3 interviews at Saas 1 (told about Bankruptcy)
3 Interviews at manufacturing company 1 and didn't get it - but the person i was replacing there offered me a job working for me at her new company.
2 Interviews at a Holding company for a chain fast food place - I didnt get it but would have turned it down if i did.
+8 First Round interviews I opted not to go forward on due to money.
+ I had my fourth interview at an Saas company on Thursday (told about Bankruptcy), and two first round interviews today, plus an invite for another.

It seems like I get to the end each time - I am told by multiple people how i would be a good fit personality wise and based on my experience, and then poof.

I know i shouldn't be complaining because i have a job, but I need to get the hell out of here and I don't know what I am doing wrong.

quote:

I have bankruptcy on my credit report

I dunno what to tell you. It seems pretty clear cut. You're looking for jobs involving money, and getting to a final stage and my guess is at that point someone higher up is opting to go with the 'less risky' (i.e. no bankruptcy) candidate or HR is being officially asked and they're saying no when there's an alternative. You clearly have a strong enough resume to get through the door and interview well enough to move past the opening rounds.

The other options are: you have a bad reputation and work in a small field; you are a weirdo but only in your final interview; you're very unlucky. I don't think any of these are very likely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sure, and thanks for a different perspective. My main hesitation here is that I’m seeing current workers in my field, who are largely anti-vaccine, talking of attempting to somehow prod the big union in the industry into rallying with them to go against Biden’s mandate. Doesn’t seem like it’ll go well at all, and I’m nervous that, upon getting a job and joining a union, that perhaps a labor union that would do that is not one I want to be a part of—my dues money essentially going toward efforts with which I disagree. I’m of the camp that absolutely believes the mandate is the right thing to do, but knowing that I could opt out if a union’s efforts don’t align with my own views on whatever.

"people I know are talking about maybe trying to influence a larger group towards an anti-vaccine stance" is a real far cry from "unions are anti-vaccine". There definitely exist unions which don't do a good job at representing their members, but I think you'll find they are in the minority. Also you say yourself the same people who are decrying a vaccine mandate are also the ones saying Unions are a waste of money. Think real hard about how closely you should be listening to these people in general.

CarForumPoster posted:

Seems like you need some direction on career wise before resume advice would be helpful. Sadly, I can't give you advice on getting a job until you know what job you want to get. If you'd like some help finding the right job/career this threads good for that too.

Strong agree. The resume looks pretty good, but I have no idea what it's trying to do. Honestly, you should have resumes for each type of job you want.

Do you have some contacts in the industry you can talk to? They'd know more about if the bankruptcy is torpedoing you as much as we think they are. I don't know what else to tell you unless you think you're doing something specific.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah I know OP doesn't want to believe it and is trying very hard to find another explanation but it's pretty obvious that what's happening is when it gets to the point of "next step is making an offer" an HR person who never met him is reflexively nixing his candidacy because of the bankruptcy.

It's one thing for a hiring manager or low level HR drone early in the process when OP discloses to say "OK, I understand, that doesn't necessarily disqualify you so let's just go forward with the interview", but it's a very different thing for the hiring manager to oppose high-level HR when they say "lol nope." Depending on the company it's either expressly impossible or would require an expenditure of political capital that's not worth it; just offering to the #2 choice is safer and easier.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 15, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've never been bankrupt but I'd just like to say that it is an extremely hosed up system that continues to punish someone who made some mistakes who is trying honestly to put their life back together and make good on things.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Also not all bankruptcies are due to mistakes, as an example: American medical debt

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The reason I keep arguing it is that I AM in HR and none of the people In my company HR have ever seen anyone get nixed over bankruptcy. I work in a 1600 person company, and the most anyone has seen is a special form that the hiree has to fill out - and this was at a wealth management company.

I’ve also reached out to my many contacts in other places I’ve worked for and it’s never prevented them either.

I know that HR is garbage but the recruiter who rescinded my first offer told me that company policy prevented them from telling my potential manager why - just that it was something on the credit report.

It’s easy to pull a background check, but I’m pretty sure a credit report is something you have to sign off on, and that was the first time in my career anyone has pulled one on me.

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure my total lack of charisma is loving me at the end every single time

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You can look up a bankruptcy without a credit check.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Lockback posted:

You can look up a bankruptcy without a credit check.

poo poo I wasn’t even thinking about that. You’re right. I’m hosed

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

Can I ask how recent your bankruptcy was? Like, are you stable now and its close to falling off your record?

Also you should 100% get in the habit of asking for copies of any background or credit check. The benefits to this are two fold!

One, you have a copy in hand when you go to the next place, and two, you can see what the flags are for yourself.

I think that now that you have identified the problem, you can/should take steps to mitigate it. The first thing I'd consider is a letter of explanaton regarding your bankruptcy as a sort of mitigating tactic - obviously I don't know your circumstances - but I do know that the gist of making a hire PAST a bankruptcy is getting to believe you're not a risk.
The way you do that is explain the situation or at least mitigate the impact - and if you ahve confidence, charisma, or closing-the -deal issues then a letter that you slap down with your references when they ask for it lets you think about how to coach it and not do it live.
Its also more tactful.

Its still going to be an uphill battle, but I think how you bring it up also matters a lot more.

Like, hey, whats more shocking: "Medical debt, not my fualt, could happen to anyone, don't worry i'm not a risk here's my references" or no context and a black mark on your credit report just bombshell.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 15, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
It was in 2018. We are making $300 payments to the trustee until April 23.

I was stable before - but I used my perfect credit score to get a consolidation loan to try to lower my wife’s CC payments and then she got pregnant, so bankruptcy was the only option at the time.

And yes the irony of me being the budget goon who totally failed at getting his wife to follow a budget and then declared bankruptcy is not lost on me

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dang, sorry you caught me while I was expanding my post.

Sorry to hear that, man.

April 23 from current, so... 300 monthly for 19 months?
$5700 remaining on your balance?

poo poo, dude, just tell people (at the second/third stage interview ) you need a signing bonus up front to clear your bankruptcy and just overemphasize how eager you are to have a black mark cleared up, and/or that you're willing to take a minor competitive pay cut in exchange.
Thats a value proposition hr probbably understands.
The other play is 'help me clear this and you'll have company loyalty for life'

(then negotiate your pay once you're over the hurdle, and/or leave later)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 15, 2021

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

poo poo I wasn’t even thinking about that. You’re right. I’m hosed

But you're telling the about it (now) upfront. Have you pulled your own credit checks recently? Is there something you don't know about there?

edit: Also if prospective employers pull checks on your behalf wrt hiring, you are supposed to be able to get those as said above I think.

downout fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 15, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Dang, sorry you caught me while I was expanding my post.

Sorry to hear that, man.

April 23 from current, so... 300 monthly for 19 months?
$5700 remaining on your balance?

poo poo, dude, just tell people (at the second/third stage interview ) you need a signing bonus up front to clear your bankruptcy and just overemphasize how eager you are to have a black mark cleared up, and/or that you're willing to take a minor competitive pay cut in exchange.
Thats a value proposition hr probbably understands.
The other play is 'help me clear this and you'll have company loyalty for life'

(then negotiate your pay once you're over the hurdle, and/or leave later)

It doesn’t work that way. I’m stuck paying five years, because I have to send them my tax return each year and they adjust it based on my income (I also have to send them any return over $1200)

downout posted:

But you're telling the about it (now) upfront. Have you pulled your own credit checks recently? Is there something you don't know about there?

edit: Also if prospective employers pull checks on your behalf wrt hiring, you are supposed to be able to get those as said above I think.

I obtained a copy from the company that rescinded my offer. It was only the bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Pillowpants posted:

It doesn’t work that way. I’m stuck paying five years, because I have to send them my tax return each year and they adjust it based on my income (I also have to send them any return over $1200)

I obtained a copy from the company that rescinded my offer. It was only the bankruptcy.

I do a bit of background screening in my position. BK's are a part of public record, it's not hard to find. My role, however, is "check these systems your group has access to and we don't" not "decision maker."

From what I've seen, it's totally random. I've seen folks with recent BK's get the job, and others not. I'm sure there's some kind of behind the scenes decision making that goes on, but gently caress if I know what it is.

It's kind of screwy that anyone even cares. Unless the BK is due to not being able to pay back embezzled money or fines for unethical behavior, who cares? You're statistically no higher risk than anyone else, probably LESS risk than someone getting close to that point, and if you're dealing with money there should be solid enough internal controls in place to prevent the internal theft they're so concerned about (and they should be able to fire or prosecute you if you get around them).

And, yes, I have an 8.5 year old BK on my record. And, yes, I'm pretty sure it kept me from getting a job that I nailed the interview for, though they never said it (I killed a spider for the HR person at her request, for chrissakes!).